Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Cobb Realtime Tuning a reality for N54?

I see the option is greyed out in ATR.
    Is this something that will be available soon?
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interesting, what is this exactly?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its the best and makes tuning sooo much faster.

Make table changes in ATR on the fly while tuning.

Example from Cobb website for an STI:

REAL TIME TUNING Make value changes to real time tuning tables instantly and immediately see the results without needing to wait for a typical ECU flash.
    For Sale:

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok I can see how that's a big deal so you are changing files in the ECU on the fly without flashing each map each time? Am I understanding this correctly?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ok I can see how that's a big deal so you are changing files in the ECU on the fly without flashing each map each time? Am I understanding this correctly?
    i believe its adjusting tables in the actual map file in real time.
    so 1 map and you adjust it on the fly,i think...pretty sure lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alexx03 Click here to enlarge
    i believe its adjusting tables in the actual map file in real time.
    so 1 map and you adjust it on the fly,i think...pretty sure lol
    Ok so you adjust the map in the real time then you have flash?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand it. @Josh@Cobb

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ok so you adjust the map in the real time then you have flash?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand it. @Josh@Cobb
    from what my old tuner explained to me on my old car that didnt have real time tuning but like everyone else wanted it.
    there is no flashing,you plug into the car drive around,make adjustments and unplug and its saved to whatever map you were adjusting.
    i could be wrong...obviously the Cobb guys know best

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alexx03 Click here to enlarge
    from what my old tuner explained to me on my old car that didnt have real time tuning but like everyone else wanted it.
    there is no flashing,you plug into the car drive around,make adjustments and unplug and its saved to whatever map you were adjusting.
    i could be wrong...obviously the Cobb guys know best
    Yeah let's see what they say. This sounds very cool.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You can make changes on the map on laptop and it updates to the ecu right away. Makes it much easier and FASTER to tune the car.

The way it is now you edit the map, flash.. start, datalog, edit map, flash the car etc, etc..

With realtime you can keep the car running & tune away and then flash the map at the end of the tuning session
    For Sale:

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    You can make changes on the map on laptop and it updates to the ecu right away. Makes it much easier and FASTER to tune the car.

The way it is now you edit the map, flash.. start, datalog, edit map, flash the car etc, etc..

With realtime you can keep the car running & tune away and then flash the map at the end of the tuning session
    That makes complete sense, thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

There where products in the old days up to 1996 that you could emulate the eprom using a laptop. Tuning was very simple as on the laptop it would highlight the map the car was in and on the dyno you could make changes instantly going across the different load cells. The eprom would be saved on the laptop and a connector would be plugged into the ecu or soldered on in many cases.
    It would also make identifying maps much easier. This worked well up to the 29F800 range of eproms and then the ECU's just got faster in a big hurry and rendered the technology from EVC obsolete.
    There was a period after this that was the dark ages because you would need to solder the eprom on and off each time a change needed to be made and around 2000 things went to the flash via OBD route.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The biggest time save I've seen that option have is on older cars where you were constantly "blindly" upping the fuel. As easy and few things that need adjusted on the N54's you not making as many quick changes. But I would still love to see that plus NLS, launch control, better traction control, on the fly map switching, boost targeting and complete rear o2 disabling but I don't see them ever getting to it.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    There where products in the old days up to 1996 that you could emulate the eprom using a laptop. Tuning was very simple as on the laptop it would highlight the map the car was in and on the dyno you could make changes instantly going across the different load cells. The eprom would be saved on the laptop and a connector would be plugged into the ecu or soldered on in many cases.
    It would also make identifying maps much easier. This worked well up to the 29F800 range of eproms and then the ECU's just got faster in a big hurry and rendered the technology from EVC obsolete.
    There was a period after this that was the dark ages because you would need to solder the eprom on and off each time a change needed to be made and around 2000 things went to the flash via OBD route.
    ^^ This. It's the reason a TunerPro RT (Real time) exists. It actually shows you the cells currently active too. It's awesome.

Aaaand not going to happen for us most likely. But we can dream.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

The way realtime works for our products is pretty awesome. Basically you have ATR/ATP open, then you "live connect" to the car. While the casr is running, you can change any of the tables supported in realtime and you can make direct, immediate changes. This is awesome for tuning because you can actually hold a car at a certain load/speed/rpm on the dyno and tune MAF, timing, fuel, and boost tables as you go. You can also change certain things on the AP directly via RT like launch control RPM setpoint.

We also have "map slots" for some vehicles we support. This allows you to switch to a different set of tables on the fly while driving.

Most of this stuff is possible with any ECU, but its sometimes tricky to implement or find the ram space needed for the size of the tables required. We would love to have this available on every platform, but its always a big project to make it work on a specific ECU. If we get to a point that we have this close for BMWs, you guys will know.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge
    web | forum | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Josh@Cobb Click here to enlarge
    The way realtime works for our products is pretty awesome. Basically you have ATR/ATP open, then you "live connect" to the car. While the casr is running, you can change any of the tables supported in realtime and you can make direct, immediate changes. This is awesome for tuning because you can actually hold a car at a certain load/speed/rpm on the dyno and tune MAF, timing, fuel, and boost tables as you go. You can also change certain things on the AP directly via RT like launch control RPM setpoint.

We also have "map slots" for some vehicles we support. This allows you to switch to a different set of tables on the fly while driving.

Most of this stuff is possible with any ECU, but its sometimes tricky to implement or find the ram space needed for the size of the tables required. We would love to have this available on every platform, but its always a big project to make it work on a specific ECU. If we get to a point that we have this close for BMWs, you guys will know.
    So to confirm its a LONG ways off

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Legionofboom Click here to enlarge
    So to confirm its a LONG ways off
    I would say that's accurate as of today. One of the big problems with the more modern ECUs is the size of the table data. Using 16 and 32 bit values is fantastic for resolution, but requires that much more space needed for RT.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge
    web | forum | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Josh@Cobb Click here to enlarge

The map sets feature is VERY cool. It's like on the fly map switching... Except it's actually doing more than raising or lowering boost targets lol
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good thing I have a Sport button on my N54 :-D