Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

self tuning : BB flash or Cobb

I want to tune myself my car and need help to choose the right platform.
    What would be advantage of buying a cobb device over using BB Flash / Tuner pro to develop my own maps?
    I'm thinking about :
    * logging (BT cable can do that but I don't see many BT cable logs)
    * map editing environment
    * cobb custom logic : I vaguely remember that cobb has rewritten some part of the DME code to allow more room for some parameters???
    * definition files : are the cobb definition files for ROMs better than the public XDF?

Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It really depends. Do you have any experience with either ATR or TunerPro? If you have experience with one or the other you may want to stick with that one. I've messed around with tuner pro some but not enough to be an expert, as the need just isn't there. ATR is quite awesome. If you've never used either, I'd say you're going to get great support with Cobb and a very user friendly program. TunerPro, you're kind of at the mercy of forums for help and whatever you can figure out on your own.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ATR. More stable base tables, more available and defined tables, orders of magnitude more support, professional support from pro tuners etc, and the benefits of the actual accessport from a live data standpoint.

In time BB flash could really be fantastic, but it’s solely supported by the community.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you're asking then probably Cobb. That being said tunerpro and bbflash can get you to virtually identical outcomes. It also comes down to $$, if you are not concerned with price then no drawback to the Cobb really, great company.

The bt logs aren't too difficult and they pop up from time to time, datazap is great, just less convenient for some.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    If you're asking then probably Cobb. That being said tunerpro and bbflash can get you to virtually identical outcomes. It also comes down to $$, if you are not concerned with price then no drawback to the Cobb really, great company.

The bt logs aren't too difficult and they pop up from time to time, datazap is great, just less convenient for some.
    To be completely honest they really aren't the same. Cobb has rewritten the HEX in their software to be much more useful to guys looking to make power.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I didn't say they were the same, I said outcomes can be virtually identical. It really depends on goals and setup. I'm well aware of the handful of changes they've made, they are very useful to those who need them. Cobb engineers are good at their job But not everybody needs the extras. I'm a supporter of Cobb don't get me wrong (owned one on two cars) but OP has a jb4 so many of those added lines of hex wouldn't even matter for him since many changes are for boost response and boost up high afaik.

End of the day Cobb is superior but results are results. If I was OP I'd download both and poke around.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are the hex changes documented somewhere?

I hadn't fought about keeping the jb4 allong the BT cable but that's an option. That said I would rather like to log all the cylinders not only the first. The goal is to slowly learn to tune, the results are not important for the moment. Money is not the primary concern - it's learning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Then Cobb is even more of a no brainer. Logging is light years ahead and, to someone just getting started, the table definitions alone almost make it worth the cost.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    I didn't say they were the same, I said outcomes can be virtually identical. It really depends on goals and setup. I'm well aware of the handful of changes they've made, they are very useful to those who need them. Cobb engineers are good at their job But not everybody needs the extras. I'm a supporter of Cobb don't get me wrong (owned one on two cars) but OP has a jb4 so many of those added lines of hex wouldn't even matter for him since many changes are for boost response and boost up high afaik.

End of the day Cobb is superior but results are results. If I was OP I'd download both and poke around.
    Biggest issue with Open source flash is the missing logging parameters that allow you to dial in boost control. I stopped paying attention, but still haven't seen anyone run more boost than the standard OTS maps that Vishnu provides (without a piggy).

The trend has been to completely ignore boost control and just raise timing as much as possible...
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1 for cobb since they have linear throttle tables.

I drive a lot and find the stock throttle mapping way to touchy
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK