Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Single turbo FFTec top mount and bottom mount manifold N54 action - Top mount 5862 135i vs. bottom mount 5858 335i

Interesting N54 comparison here between two single turbo cars with different approaches. Both vehicles have single turbo exhaust manifolds from BimmerBoost vendor FFTec Motorsports. The E82 135i is a BMS (Burger Tuning) test car so to speak and it features the FFTec twin scroll top mount manifold with a twin scroll Precision 5862 turbocharger. This vehicle has a 6-speed automatic transmission and has shown output of 585 horsepower to the wheels.

Click here to enlarge

The red E92 335i has the FFTec single scroll bottom mount N54 single turbo manifold with a single scroll Precision 5858 turbocharger. It is also a 6-speed automatic.

Now, the E82 135i is the lighter car of the two that much is known. The 5862 is the twin scroll variant which means it gathers exhaust gases from pairs of cylinders in an alternating sequence. A diagram illustrating this effect is below:

Click here to enlarge

Terry of BMS states he prefers the spool of the 5862 to the larger 6466 and that this turbo is the perfect size for the motor especially when you get the twin exhaust pulses from a twin scroll setup. The 5862 top mount sure seems to show here it has a much bigger top end punch than the 5858 but seeing a comparison to the 6466 certainly would be interesting.

The power to weight of the 135i clearly favors it significantly and this race is not even close. The 135i simply pulls away.

It definitely is nice to see a real world comparison of different single turbocharger approaches on the N54 motor, video below.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry'a car is rediculous. Definitely gonna set some records.Can't wait to see this thing at the strip.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I believe Terrys car was also making a lot more power... @Terry@BMS
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    andos car was tuned around 470whp

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The 135 is indeed making more power. It trapped something like 168 compare to the 335 at 155 or so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The 135i makes around 600rw, 335i around 540rw, as tuned during the race. The 135i is also lighter weight.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    One of the great things about Terry and the BMS team is that they do not just talk about setups, dyno number, and what it SHOULD run. They modify, test, and execute this stuff ASAP and show real world results!

Looking forward to seeing more from this 135i. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trickcruiser Click here to enlarge
    One of the great things about Terry and the BMS team is that they do not just talk about setups, dyno number, and what it SHOULD run. They modify, test, and execute this stuff ASAP and show real world results!

Looking forward to seeing more from this 135i. Click here to enlarge
    +1 I agree 100% That's why I choose to run his products.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That 5862 Twin Scroll setup is going to be a monster at the 1/4mi if he can get the tranny to hold together.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    That 5862 Twin Scroll setup is going to be a monster at the 1/4mi if he can get the tranny to hold together.
    Gotta get a good launch and build boost at stop. Harder with a single.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    @Sticky
    Some not so obvious typos: Click here to enlarge

First you wrote:
    The red E92 335i has the FFTec single scroll bottom mount N54 single turbo manifold with a single scroll Precision 5858 turbocharger.
    And then 2 sentences later wrote:
    The 5858 is the twin scroll variant which means it gathers exhaust gases from pairs of cylinders in an alternating sequence.
    So change:
    The 5862 is the twin scroll variant which...
    I think you did it again here:
    Terry of BMS states he prefers the spool of the 5862 to the larger 6466

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MAC335 Click here to enlarge
    @Sticky
    Some not so obvious typos: Click here to enlarge

First you wrote:

And then 2 sentences later wrote:

So change:

I think you did it again here:

Yeah I flipped some numbers thanks but I the last part is right he did say he prefers the spool of the 5862 to the larger 6466. And the 5862 is the twin scroll so that's right as well.

The mistake is the 5858 being the twin scroll variant that should read 5862.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, Shiv's 1.6 60' on the sole 10 sec N54 pass is gonna be tough to match with an AT. I think the AT will be faster on the back half though. A line lock and some real slicks wouldn't hurt either Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Gotta get a good launch and build boost at stop. Harder with a single.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yeah I flipped some numbers thanks but I the last part is right he did say he prefers the spool of the 5862 to the larger 6466. And the 5862 is the twin scroll so that's right as well.

The mistake is the 5858 being the twin scroll variant that should read 5862.

Click here to enlarge read what you actually wrote. you wrote "5858" i had changed it to 62 in the quote.
    Click here to enlarge
    460whp/510wtq tuned by Terry

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MAC335 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge read what you actually wrote. you wrote "5858" i had changed it to 62 in the quote.
    You're late... check again Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    The 135i makes around 600rw, 335i around 540rw, as tuned during the race. The 135i is also lighter weight.
    Got the chance to witness your car in person and that 135 hauls ass! Good job this weekend