Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

@Moedigzz any updates?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Sorry to all the haters that wish it blew up, but she's quite happy. The low boost was caused by a bad turbo. That's why it was going single in the first place. I have realized that the DME pulls timing and closes the throttle well before MBT. So your all making much less power, than is physically possible. Oh, I heard Vargas's record is no more, too bad. lol. I did make 391whp with a stock n54 last week on a mustang Dyno. Whooptie doo! I also make 428whp with a stock k20a2@13psi on 93.
    Last edited by Moedigzz; 05-14-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Moedigzz Click here to enlarge
    Sorry to all the haters that wish it blew up, but she's quite happy. The low boost was caused by a bad turbo. That's why it was going single in the first place. I have realized that the DME pulls timing and closes the throttle well before MBT. So your all making much less power, than is physically possible. Oh, I heard Vargas's record is no more, too bad. lol. I did make 391whp with a stock n54 last week on a mustang Dyno. Whooptie doo! I also make 428whp with a stock k20a2@13psi on 93.
    Well since we haven't held the record for over a year its been no more for a while. Hmmmmm...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

...DME responds to knock sensors to make corrections on a per cylinder basis to the timing target. It doesn't give two $#@!s about MBT.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Why would people be hating?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I wasn't knocking anyone. Just wanted to see if you had any more results to share.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    My best advice would be to forget anything you know about other platforms and tune this one based on feedback from the motor as you are tuning it. Click here to enlarge
    Not much more to say than this! I definitely wouldn't apply what I learned from years of tuning small and big block Chevy's to the N54!!!
    E92 335is DCT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    E92 335is DCT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Timing pull is because of knock.

Throttle closure is because of limiters you missed...

In for dynos. Click here to enlarge
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Timing pull is because of knock.

Throttle closure is because of limiters you missed...

In for dynos. Click here to enlarge
    With the throttle closures and timing pull, I was under the same impression. The next time I have a healthy n54 to play with, I'm going to load that advanced timing map back up with some new mods to the limiter tables/settings. I have only had limited Dyno time(4 pulls) with a n54 so far, so I played it safe and just started with the jb4 backend flash as a basemap. It made good power, but I think 16+ psi is way past the efficient area of these turbos. I saw iat's rising drastically and the stock FMIC isn't THAT small. It just seems like more timing/less boost would make more power, more safely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

With the throttle closures and timing pull, I was under the same impression. The next time I have a healthy n54 to play with, I'm going to load that advanced timing map back up with some new mods to the limiter tables/settings. I have only had limited Dyno time(4 pulls) with a n54 so far, so I played it safe and just started with the jb4 backend flash as a basemap. It made good power, but I think 16+ psi is way past the efficient area of these turbos. I saw iat's rising drastically and the stock FMIC isn't THAT small. It just seems like more timing/less boost would make more power, more safely.
    16 pounds down low is just fine on the stock frames. You’d want to taper it, of course.

The stock front mount is terrible; there is simply no other way to put it. On a bone stock car requesting 9lbs of boost midrange, it’s inefficient within one or two pulls in all but the depths of winter. There is absolutely no scenario that I feel it’s appropriate for, from the core size, to density, to end tank design…it’s awful. The IAT comp tables are fairly aggressive as well, and will happily yank out timing if they don’t like the charge temps.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    You're on the right track. MBT seems to be somewhat lower on this motor than others I've messed with, but I've not confirmed that on a dyno though. Also, while certainly out of their efficiency range, the little stock snails are still making more power all the way up to 21psi. That's about the limit where most people stop. I agree that more timing less boost is definitely more efficient and safe on the tiny turbos, I'm not sure it'd make more power. I'm interested to see some of your testing though, if you're able to get some more dyno time. I'd really like to see some 16psi, race gas pulls with high timing and see if we can determine when MBT really is.

2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    You're on the right track. MBT seems to be somewhat lower on this motor than others I've messed with, but I've not confirmed that on a dyno though. Also, while certainly out of their efficiency range, the little stock snails are still making more power all the way up to 21psi. That's about the limit where most people stop. I agree that more timing less boost is definitely more efficient and safe on the tiny turbos, I'm not sure it'd make more power. I'm interested to see some of your testing though, if you're able to get some more dyno time. I'd really like to see some 16psi, race gas pulls with high timing and see if we can determine when MBT really is.
    +1 just out of reps for ya
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

do you not think terry, shiv, cobb, or any other tuning company havent tried this already? lol
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

of course they have. they're not sharing that information with other tuners though, unless it's in the form of an OTS map or backend flash. Tuning an N54 from scratch on something such as TunerPro or something similar is still a daunting task.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    do you not think terry, shiv, cobb, or any other tuning company havent tried this already? lol
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    I know for a fact they have. No one is saying this guy was not or is not a good tuner. But the fact that he thinks he can waltz into the N54 world, put a car on the dyno for 4 pulls, make claims that people who have done 1000's of pulls, and have years of experience are leaving power on the table that he is going to find is borderline insane.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I know for a fact they have. No one is saying this guy was not or is not a good tuner. But the fact that he thinks he can waltz into the N54 world, put a car on the dyno for 4 pulls, make claims that people who have done 1000's of pulls, and have years of experience are leaving power on the table that he is going to find is borderline insane.
    Tony, did you miss the part where this guy tunes honda Kseries? He obviously knows his $#@!. I bet he will even offer tuning packages that include an iphone jailbreak + hondata tuning for a package price, all from his fold out lawn chair at the parking lot of the car meet. $#@! yea!Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123