Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Moedigzz Click here to enlarge
    I have tuned well over 200 cars over a 10 year period. I have a perfect track record with customer cars. My personal cars, not so much. They did ride out and make me money before something broke. So please, GO $#@! YOURSELF.
    @Moedigzz: @VargasTurboTech means well. We haven't seen anyone tune for advance over 14 degrees, so we're worried that you're pushing the engine rather than making power.

In any case, I'm sure you're tuning on a Dyno to determine where your MBT level is, so go ahead and pop that engine, I don't see the DME freaking out and pulling out advance, IIRC Shiv @ Procede's Naturally Aspirated mode advances the engine past 14 to make power.

Please share with us your results around where you find MBT and what boost level you find it at, currently I'm able to run 15.1 degrees up top on port-injected Water/Meth at 18PSI w/ calculated lambda gas AFR between 10.5-11.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nice. Click here to enlarge Your "RECORDS" are numbers that I was putting down in 2005.
    Than why are you asking for help

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Legionofboom Click here to enlarge
    Than why are you asking for help
    Because this is a new platform for me. DBW is a new thing to me. I'm used to the pedal being attached to the TB directly. So how on gods green earth would I have the faintest idea of how this system controls the TB? Can you explain it for me? Really? smh.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Because this is a new platform for me. DBW is a new thing to me. I'm used to the pedal being attached to the TB directly. So how on gods green earth would I have the faintest idea of how this system controls the TB? Can you explain it for me? Really? smh.
    You're seriously bragging about beating a WR on one platform from another platform? Click here to enlarge

What shop in Tampa are you from out of curiosity?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm in the wrong place. You uber cool fellas can have fun with someone else. I'm sure I'll have it figured out shortly. It already is a night and day difference and the TB is only opening 1/2 way and only hitting 5psi. I'm planning on it only going to around 8-9psi No signs of det on the plugs, no backfires or any funky exhaust notes. EGT's have consistently dropped as I added timing. All signs that I am nowhere near MBT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Am i missing something here? What's the problem?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here is my issue with this guy claiming he is best tuner in the world then coming on here telling everyone he is running 20 degrees of advance, then NOT knowing why the DME is closing throttle, or even understanding how the DME works to close throttle. That doesn't strike anyone as scary. Oh hey I am running 20 degrees and the car is lighting up the tires in 1st...???Click here to enlarge A good running stock turbo N54 will light the tires 2nd and sometimes 3rd. The biggest problem with you coming here is this, you came out of nowhere and are claiming you are the best and are going to do X and Y and not asking any questions. When we first came, we have vast turbocharger experience, but we immediately teamed up with PTF and picked their brains every step of the way to gain understanding of the N54 platform, because they have been there, done that and were great guys. Yes certain things cross over in turbocharger experience, as well in your case tuning experience. But you have a LOT to learn, you are proving that every time you post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm in the wrong place. You uber cool fellas can have fun with someone else. I'm sure I'll have it figured out shortly. It already is a night and day difference and the TB is only opening 1/2 way and only hitting 5psi. I'm planning on it only going to around 8-9psi No signs of det on the plugs, no backfires or any funky exhaust notes. EGT's have consistently dropped as I added timing. All signs that I am nowhere near MBT.
    Look man, no one that has replied to this thread is a tuner, it might help opening a thread asking for tuning advice to get tuning advice. Considering this is the ONLY BMW forum where its members created it's only open source flashing program I'd say you ARE in the right place...don't let Vargas get to you, but in his defense you did step in here pretty cocky as if you're going to take over this platform somehow and then in the same conversation are asking for help?

Seriously, I want to know what shop you are at, my car is being done at another shop in town and I will be up there tomorrow and we will be hopefully tuning and dynoing the car tomorrow.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Also, kindly point us to some thread on other forums, where you hold records, or have customers who are at the fore front of the platform pushing things, with some WHP numbers, and or times. Those would go a lot further in proving your tuning prowess then you coming in here and talking a big game.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Also, kindly point us to some thread on other forums, where you hold records, or have customers who are at the fore front of the platform pushing things, with some WHP numbers, and or times. Those would go a lot further in proving your tuning prowess then you coming in here and talking a big game.
    Unfortunately we do not have a direct contact to who's car this guy has so...we might see the first N54 blown running under 10psi? Is that even possible? Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Sometimes this atmosphere is a bit harsh and can intimidate others.

If he's making mistakes all anyone can do is advise him. He's trying to share.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

What's the other platform you're coming from? It sounds like an old one, and the DME's in these cars are pretty advanced. They have lots of protection built in and will pull back timing and close throttle at the first sign of danger. You need to open up a new thread asking for tuning advice and hopefully some guys will chime in. There are a ton of tuning threads around though, so I'd try the search tool and see what you can find that way if you're looking for a more immediate answer.

I'm not a tuning expert on the N54, but what I have learned is that you try to change one table too much on this car, chances are you are going to trigger another table causing the DME to enter a failsafe, so then you have to find what other table is effected, and keep that failsafe from being triggered.

I do not know what table effects what table, and like I said there is sooo much to tuning this car more so than many other platforms, there's literally only a handful of people that I'd say are qualified of teaching someone else how to tune, but when that's how they make a living, I just don't see them giving up too much.

So again, just post a thread asking for help and use the search tool, you'll get what you get TBH.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Sometimes this atmosphere is a bit harsh and can intimidate others.

If he's making mistakes all anyone can do is advise him. He's trying to share.
    Every time someone does something new the status quo group jumps in and starts demanding pictures of him holding up his ID, his Engineering Degree and fleet of cars.

I'm slightly skeptical of the results, but then again, I haven seen anyone open source any of the tuning knowledge that informs the opinion that 14 degrees is MBT. This is definitely something I would consider trying during a dyno tuning session.

http://accessecu.com/cobbtuningweb/s...lpFile_BMW.pdf

http://www.cobbtuning.com/v/vspfiles...FinalAlpha.pdf

You can get some information from these guides, there's sections in there on how to deal with throttle closure in high-torque situations.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Every time someone does something new the status quo group jumps in and starts demanding pictures of him holding up his ID, his Engineering Degree and fleet of cars.

I'm slightly skeptical of the results, but then again, I haven seen anyone open source any of the tuning knowledge that informs the opinion that 14 degrees is MBT. This is definitely something I would consider trying during a dyno tuning session.

http://accessecu.com/cobbtuningweb/s...lpFile_BMW.pdf

http://www.cobbtuning.com/v/vspfiles...FinalAlpha.pdf

You can get some information from these guides, there's sections in there on how to deal with throttle closure in high-torque situations.
    I have no problem seeing someone challenge the status quo of what is acceptable for tuning on the N54. My biggest issue is, he seems to do so while keeping the attitude he knows everything about tuning and is going to teach the N54 tuning world a thing or two, and he is doing so without really doing any research to to better equip himself to have success. What platforms does he tune that are not DBW? A pretty large majority of all platforms made in the past 10 years are all drive by wire. Thats a pretty big red flag in itself that he has no DBW experience

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I have no problem seeing someone challenge the status quo of what is acceptable for tuning on the N54. My biggest issue is, he seems to do so while keeping the attitude he knows everything about tuning and is going to teach the N54 tuning world a thing or two, and he is doing so without really doing any research to to better equip himself to have success. What platforms does he tune that are not DBW? A pretty large majority of all platforms made in the past 10 years are all drive by wire. Thats a pretty big red flag in itself that he has no DBW experience
    So what? Who cares about some un-proven dude posting up and asking for info, regardless of how cocky he is.

Slaying puppies and tea-bagging jesus.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Funny read. Just dyno tune the car and post the data if you want to share it. We've all tested lots of approaches. Some of us hundreds of times over. And most of us find MBT is a lot lower than you'd think if you've never really tuned one. Then there is Wedge who likes to run 3-4 degrees more than where I think MBT is. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So what? Who cares about some un-proven dude posting up and asking for info, regardless of how cocky he is.

Slaying puppies and tea-bagging jesus.
    Hmmmm, well isn't this a forum where he is posting up for us to look at his results and comment on them, meaning he wants people to care enough to take the time to post? Or am I in the wrong place. If no one cared to have these sort of discussions what are we all doing here?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hmmmm, well isn't this a forum where he is posting up for us to look at his results and comment on them, meaning he wants people to care enough to take the time to post? Or am I in the wrong place. If no one cared to have these sort of discussions what are we all doing here?
    Constructive: Do you have dyno graphs? I'm really interested in seeing the dyno numbers.

Not-Constructive: 20 degrees? Nobody runs that, so you must be an idiot about to blow up that motor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Constructive: Do you have dyno graphs? I'm really interested in seeing the dyno numbers.

Not-Constructive: 20 degrees? Nobody runs that, so you must be an idiot about to blow up that motor.
    You should go read my previous posts to him, tried to be as neutral and constructive as possible, the results were what you saw today. Fact: Blindly running 20 degrees with a DME that is not as smart as this one, and didn't close the throttle by half to protect the motor. He may have already blown it up, and it sounds like the car isn't his. So I am sure the OP thinks its very constructive telling him to slow down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok guys, thats enough. Give him the information he needs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Those two Cobb documents tell you what tables to modify to eliminate throttle closures. Its a balance of factors which work, generally though there's one table which will kill throttle if torque is above expected - this is the one our friend needs to modify.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Then there is Wedge who likes to run 3-4 degrees more than where I think MBT is. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    IS that a bent rod I see there?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    IS that a bent rod I see there?
    yeah, if I remember it goes to a freight ship (huge boat)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wonder what ever happened to this engine?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast