Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

WPC Rod Bearings Install & Beisan Vanos Refresh

Well guys after looking at all the Beisan Vanos refreshes being done and taking part in the WPC Treated Rod Bearings GB I decided it was about time to get to installing these parts to ensure reliability and longevity on my M3s S54.

My car has been having a misfire (causing choking at low rpm take off) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=472135. This will be the first step. Once we solve this we will start on the Vanos and Rod Bearings.

My car has 64,400km on the clock and the Rod bearing recall was performed at BMW Bahrain at 29,000km on the clock (meaning recall bearings only have 35,400km on them).

Since then I have taken the car out for some track days and some spirited driving. I have only ever used Castrol TWS and change my oil around every 5-6000km. Many will say why change the rod bearing shells. My answer to that is Curiosity, Fun and Boredom...in that order lol.

Here are some pics of the parts....

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I will update the thread as the work progresses on. First thing sort out the misfire. Then rebuild time Click here to enlarge

I want to say a big Thank you to my friends Sean at www.thebmwpartstore.com, Raj At Beisan Systems and M3Dragon.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

" My answer to that is Curiosity, Fun and Boredom...in that order lol." Always a good way to look at it. good luck and sweet car

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ging Click here to enlarge
    " My answer to that is Curiosity, Fun and Boredom...in that order lol." Always a good way to look at it. good luck and sweet car

@Ging Thanks bro
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Awesome. I did all this on my car as well. Great mods of maintenance
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So what exactly do you attribute the misfires to? VANOS?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So what exactly do you attribute the misfires to? VANOS?
    We checked the plugs and the number 6 was darker than the rest. i remember in a previous post i mentioned that the number 6 TB coupler was pinched and i had a massive leak. I think the cylinder was not getting enough air and thats why this happened. Replaced all and it seemed to be fine after the test drive.

The next day when I went over and started the car to warm it up for another test drive I could feel the misfire again.
    I swapped coils 3 and 5 (misfire indicated on GT1) with 2 and 4 and then checked it again. Now it showed misfire in 2,3 & 4. Meaning its probably the solenoid.

We'll swap it with the BEISAN re-manufactured and improved solenoid and report back ASAP.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO GO AHEAD AT THE PRESENT TIME WITH THE WPC ROD BEARINGS INSTALL. MY BEARINGS ARE FAIRLY NEW AND VERY LOW MILEAGE SINCE BEING CHANGED BY BMW UNDER RECALL.

Update:

The Injectors were professionally cleaned from a local shop and they reported them being very dirty. Now the misfire is still there but appears much later. Still showing 0 on misfire counter on GT1.

Any way we decided to go ahead with the VANOS rebuild to see if that would help. The Vanos unit was pretty Dirty so Got it looking all new with a lot of cleaning and BEISAN parts. We will also do a valve adjustment at the same time just to check as I did one only a little while back. I'll post up the findings later on today....

Starting to open up valve cover and preparing for vanos Removal....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Helps having the Right tools and an experienced Tech + BMW Master tech teaching you stuff LOL...
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

AC Belt needs changing (bad pic)....
    Click here to enlarge

Setting TDC etc...
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Valve Cover from the Inside, Needs a clean but not bad at all....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Out You come....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Looking Dirty.....
    Click here to enlarge

BEISAN Parts Ready to be installed....
    Click here to enlarge

ALLAN (master tech) and Gerald (My tech, hes the only one along with Allan to work on my car, most times).....The Guys starting to disassemble the Vanos...
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Filthy!
    Click here to enlarge

Time for the Oil Disk to Come out....
    Click here to enlarge

OEM on the left and OEM Modded by BEISAN with smaller holes on the right..... Look at the markings on the OEM one.
    Click here to enlarge

Misc Vanos Parts after disassembly...
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Cutting out the old O Rings and they are going to be replaced with BEISAN items....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Cleaning the Vanos System and parts....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

New Diaphragms etc. installed on Hubs....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Dirty Vanos Filter...Replaced with OEM new Filter and BEISAN O-Rings....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

All Vanos Bolts replaced with new redesigned ones from BMW. Didnt feel like paying a lot more for the Turbotoy ones....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

BEISAN Modified and upgraded Solenoid Unit...
    Click here to enlarge

Solenoid Valve Body cleaned uysing brake cleaner and Magnets...
    Click here to enlarge

Putting the VANOS unit back together after replacing all seals and O-Rings with BEISAN ones....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

BEISAN Anti Rattle Kit installed and hubs installed back on car....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Old Plastic Chain Guide. Not as bad as some of the others on the forum but me car only has 64000kms on the clock.... You can still see the wear marks, which arent abnormal....
    Click here to enlarge

New Plastic Chain Guide Installed.....
    Click here to enlarge

Installing the Vanos, Doing timing and Adjusting vanos etc all done by Allan while I took photos and learned more about VANOS.....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

You can see in the pic the exhaust tabs inserted into the newly drilled BEISAN OIL PUMP disc smaller holes.......
    Click here to enlarge

Almost Done...
    Click here to enlarge

All Done...
    Click here to enlarge

More pics to come later on tonight.....
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very nice update.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Very nice update.
    Cheers bro.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

very very cool, love seeing inside these ///M engines... Will be doing the same for my s/c z4m, as it currently on 10k miles however I'm in no rush, will prob look at doing this at 20 k miles , my use is harder than most with lots of track work and the car has been FI since basically 2000 miles

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thanks @beedub.

Now to solve that pesky misfire issue.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Soo much awesomeness. I've had all this done as well on my car. Just wish I had that airbox.

Hi 5
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Soo much awesomeness. I've had all this done as well on my car. Just wish I had that airbox.

Hi 5
    get a GSR, Karbonious or Evolve Airbox Click here to enlarge

Hi 5 back at ya.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Update:

Gerald doing an oil change....
    Click here to enlarge

Nasty oil filter and housing....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Cleaned oil filter housing and installed new OEM oil filter....
    Click here to enlarge

Here are some different versions of TWS....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Added some purple ice to the BMW OEM coolant mix....
    Click here to enlarge

Nasty old fuel filter and contents....
    Click here to enlarge

Some pics of the brand new OEM fuel pump and suction pump
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Ready to pull out the old fuel pump....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Old Vs New Fuel Pump
    Click here to enlarge

Geyrald hard at work removing the old suction pump and then installing the new one....
    Click here to enlarge

Some pics of the old suction pump....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

After we got done we put the parts in the engine bay back and prepped the car for road test. Its not been bad at all, pulls hard. I will drive it over the next few days and write the new tune SAL sent me yesterday.

Car did not choke or hesitate in the last 35km's. I have also sent a set of used injectors to RC Engineering to be rebuilt just as a precaution. Hopefully they'll come out just fine despite what a few people have said on the forum.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Some Parts arrived

BimmerWorld Vanos Hose....

Click here to enlarge

Lang Racing EGR Delete Plate

Click here to enlarge

Updates to come in a few days.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks good 0-60. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TTFS Click here to enlarge
    Looks good 0-60. Click here to enlarge
    Thank you Kind Sir @TTFS
    Click here to enlarge