Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Warnings to 335is owners and possible others?

Little back ground. I have a 2011 335is manual with 20k miles. Modifications include cobb flash, FMIC, DPs, Intake, and RB upgraded turbos. Everything was on the car when I brought it to the dealer but the cobb, I had uninstalled it.

So, I had my brake pad service indicator on for a month or so, with the miles indicator counting down. Took it in about 3 weeks ago and they noted that the pads were fine (60%) but that the system was off and needed to be updated. I said okay, no worries. Get it back the next day.

I have been swamped with work and didnít have a chance to put the cobb back on. One thing odd I noted was I wasnít getting an error for not having my primary cats and I wasnít see fuel pump codes (running e45 with a stock fueling system with RBs was taking its toll) like I was before bringing it in.

So, last week I had time to install the cobb and get Rom not recognized. I fired off to Cobb and received the following info from cobb.

I received your rom and have started to get working on it, but this is a completely new family of roms that I have never seen. Is this your first time attempting to install the Accessport, or did you recently get an update from the dealer? Just curious...

At any rate, this is going to be a very slow process as I work through it. It seems BMW has made some significant changes and it will take me quite a while to get everything sorted.

I am following up and he noted weeks to months to update. As I have a Ĺ event in 2 months, that event might be pretty boring if I am stuck at 350 hp.

Anyway, be weary if they ask to reflash your car if you are on cobb.

Cheers,
    James
    2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
    2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
    2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
    2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
    2003 and 2005 330i/ci zhp - Stock - Retired

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Never let the dealer update your software.

I have probably 20 letters laying around from the dealer demanding I go in to get the DCT update software. Um, no.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I knew it took cobb no time to update roms, so didnt think anything about it.
    2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Just use BB to flash ila0s to the car. Problem solved. Click here to enlarge

PS. You won't be able to use Cobb then but can do the tuning via BB. Or better yet use our ila0s back end flash along with a JB4.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I will give them a couple weeks to see what happens, maybe its a quick fix. Might have to jump on a jb4 at least for the 1/2mile event.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Same thing happened to me with the Mini when i had to bring it in for a new DME. They will ask you to do a data dump or something like that i think its called and send over the file. From that point you may need to call a couple times but they are pretty efficient. Took them a bit less than a week for me so don't worry. Only thing is they didnt call or email me when it was done, i just randomly plugged it into the computer and saw a new version

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So, they released yet again another ROM but this time its so difference from the previous its got Cobb on their heals about it.

Well it looks like Cobb just got a first hand introduction to what the new ROM "may look like" for the upcoming M4 and M235 ? @Josh@Cobb , would also like to know what did they change, was it for better, worse, or some sort of aftermarket-tuner protection ?

I would like to know what is the ROM version ?

The ILE0S_IS ROM was suppose to be the last ROM until this thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by manbeer Click here to enlarge
    Same thing happened to me with the Mini when i had to bring it in for a new DME. They will ask you to do a data dump or something like that i think its called and send over the file. From that point you may need to call a couple times but they are pretty efficient. Took them a bit less than a week for me so don't worry. Only thing is they didnt call or email me when it was done, i just randomly plugged it into the computer and saw a new version
    This isnt the normal updated rom. The site says 5 business days, similar to when I was one of the firsts on cobbs flash years ago. This is a whole other thing with weeks to months as the current best estimate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    So, they released yet again another ROM but this time its so difference from the previous its got Cobb on their heals about it.

Well it looks like Cobb just got a first hand introduction to what the new ROM "may look like" for the upcoming M4 and M235 ? @Josh@Cobb , would also like to know what did they change, was it for better, worse, or some sort of aftermarket-tuner protection ?

I would like to know what is the ROM version ?

The ILE0S_IS ROM was suppose to be the last ROM until this thread.
    Wouldnt say on their heals. BMW changed the software and they need to update accordingly.

I thought the same thing about new encryption. They might have seen my car was modded up and threw on a new rom thats harder to fiddle with things. I just find it unusual that it has higher tolerances than the previous ROM and isnt throwing codes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mithiral67 Click here to enlarge
    Wouldnt say on their heals. BMW changed the software and they need to update accordingly.

I thought the same thing about new encryption. They might have seen my car was modded up and threw on a new rom thats harder to fiddle with things. I just find it unusual that it has higher tolerances than the previous ROM and isnt throwing codes.
    Well you have to consider BMW has a factory in Brazil where E85 use is rampant. SO it might not only be our cars but they may have released a new family of ROM for other BMWs also

When Cobb usually got unsupported ROMs they had them patched within a week from what I can recall. So, for than long of an ETA sounds like an overhaul, rewrite, IDK. Its best to let Josh chime in when he has the time on the new findings.

Regardless they will get it resolved...

As for the dealer, I dont think they flashed it knowingly to make things harder for you. That would be their own pockets they would be making holes in. I think the tech just saw an update for your car and then decided to update, not know of any changes, to improve performance on your behalf.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I find it very unusual that your car is running well on E45 with catless pipes... and no codes... and Cobb is stumped.

This could be an interesting development, but I doubt it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    my car was also updated previously but i just reload my software with the my genius tool. I also have a custom flash for my car from tuning tech fs
    ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    I find it very unusual that your car is running well on E45 with catless pipes... and no codes... and Cobb is stumped.
    This could be an interesting development, but I doubt it.
    I was running e45 previously over the summer. Been on 93 all winter and spring. Running catless and no codes with no tune on the car for several weeks.

I started popping fueling codes after a summer of running e45

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was running e45 previously over the summer. Been on 93 all winter and spring. Running catless and no codes with no tune on the car for several weeks.

I started popping fueling codes after a summer of running e45
    Well that's less exciting. Probably cats were starting to fail, and rather than deal with replacing them under warranty (emissions components have longer warranties, 8 years/80k miles) they just "updated" the software. Although it's kinda odd they'd do major changes to the code...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I will give them a couple weeks to see what happens, maybe its a quick fix. Might have to jump on a jb4 at least for the 1/2mile event.
    Why don't you do a backup of your current ROM and upload a BB flash (backend or normal), once Cobb fixes support you just reload the new BMW rom and install the AP?
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    Why don't you do a backup of your current ROM and upload a BB flash (backend or normal), once Cobb fixes support you just reload the new BMW rom and install the AP?
    love your 997tt.

I dont know a thing about the BB flash, i will use it as a last resort if cracking the new rom takes long.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For anyone that cares, the new rom is INA0S.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

8 out of 8 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    New ROMs from a supported "family" (IJE0S, I8A0S, etc) are pretty easy to add since all of the addressing and code is the same. When its a completely new family like this one (INA0S), we have to go back and find every table, axis, monitor, etc. I then have to go back through the code to verify that there are no logic changes that would affect tuning... this is the longest process since I want to make sure that we don't assume that everything is the same. We don't want to push out maps and firmware only to find out that logic changes from BMW are now causing issues with the tunes.

Once all of that is done, I have to make the logic changes that we incorporate into our maps, add support to ATP/ATR and AP firmware, create new maps, and get the new builds pushed out. I highly doubt there's anything majorly different, but there are enough small changes that it takes a lot of time to go through the code. I'm surprised that BMW came out with a new version, but its likely to address some small issue.

We'll get it done as quickly as possible, but we definitely want it to be done right so that we don't have any issues after release.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge
    web | forum | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I had the dealer update me from IJE0S to ILA0S back in January with no issues. It took them 9 hours to flash it. Like BuraQ I was under the impression that ILA0S was he last DME version. INA0S had to be released in the last 2-3 months. I am surprised they would just flash your car without saying something. I had to make a big fuss making up a story about long rough cold starts. The first time I told them that they ended up replacing the HPFP and didn't even do the DME update I requested. I took it back the next weekend and demanded they update it which they did.

You should be able to flash your car to stock ILA0S via BB software. It is not difficult and all you need is a BT cable and the free software. Once you flash it back to ILA0S you should still be able to load your Cobb on top of that since you essentially working with a stock flash at that point. I can even change the VIN number on the ILA0S.bin file to match your car so it will look factory.
    E92 335is DCT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

love your 997tt.

I dont know a thing about the BB flash, i will use it as a last resort if cracking the new rom takes long.
    Click here to enlarge

The BB flash is really easy to use, get a BT cable (or borrow one), first step is to make a backup of your current rom. Save it somewhere safe and then just write a old stock rom to your ECU.

And then reinstall the Cobb on that and wait for support to be added.
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @mithiral67

Did Cobb come through for you yet on this ? As of now INA0S ROM support is not on thier site yet. Just wanna know if you got a beta from them yet ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nothing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    But I did put the car back to stock and haven't followed up in about a month.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is there a INA0S.bin file floating around out there yet?
    E92 335is DCT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I knew it took cobb no time to update roms, so didnt think anything about it.
    ROM they know. Not unknown ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast