Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't have a single turbo, but the those wastegates are run in parallel so I would imagine that NJrep335i is correct.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    about 6 days, becuz it's the first time the shop work on this car
    mashalah looking good where did you install it ? hope some where near Kuwait Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Oilphase Click here to enlarge
    mashalah looking good where did you install it ? hope some where near Kuwait Click here to enlarge
    in shuwaik, dyno street i don't know the name of the shop today ill i go to the shop to solve the boost solenoid problem

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    With all of these single turbos getting installed, I'm thinking it's about time to start installing wideband AFR gauges in the cabin. It may keep someone from melting pistons in instances like this. It's a little late to know that you were at 25psi of boost with a 20 AFR (just hypothetical) once your pull is done and you're looking at the logs.

its been that time for some time now lol... i am one of the few with one
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    With all of these single turbos getting installed, I'm thinking it's about time to start installing wideband AFR gauges in the cabin. It may keep someone from melting pistons in instances like this. It's a little late to know that you were at 25psi of boost with a 20 AFR (just hypothetical) once your pull is done and you're looking at the logs.
    Unlike a flash tune the JB4 monitors both factory widebands switches you to map 4 (WG spring) if its lean for more than a second under boost. Which happened here. But if the vacuum lines are wrong then you're still going to over boost as essentially nothing is controlling boost. At least the throttle closed heavily to help protect the motor.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I doubt a wideband gauge would save you from a sudden lean out. First off, are you guys just starting at wideband readings while you do a pull? I’d rather melt a piston than stare at a gauge while going who knows how fast.

Second, if you really get a serious lean condition, you’ll have what maybe a second or so to react to it? I doubt folks would be able to back off in time if you suddenly leaned out like crazy. You’d have to be 100% focused on the gauge, then digest what you are seeing and react to it instantly.

If you want to tune a single and not melt things, be careful and go slowly. I really doubt a gauge is going to help much in the real world.

JB4 will auto switch to the boosting off the spring if it sees things way out of whack, Cobb does very well with adding in trim and avoiding lean conditions in the first place. If it happens, it’s almost certainly the end users fault.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good point on the JB4. I sure wish you made them for all platforms LOL. I'd buy 10 right now.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Unlike a flash tune the JB4 monitors both factory widebands switches you to map 4 (WG spring) if its lean for more than a second under boost. Which happened here. But if the vacuum lines are wrong then you're still going to over boost as essentially nothing is controlling boost. At least the throttle closed heavily to help protect the motor.
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Actually when tuning a car without a JB4, yes, you're looking at the wideband gauge while making a WOT pull. That's why the gauge is somewhere where you can see it in your peripheral and that's why the gauges have colors and things, so you don't exactly have to be able to read the numbers. I'd say that if you're going WOT and you hit 13 AFR you prob have more than 1 whole sec before you melt things but it's a good indicator to let off the throttle. After flash tuning Mitsubishis for the last 2 years, that's really all you have to go off of, and things can go south really fast. JB4 spoils a lot of BMW people. It's not that easy on any other platform unless you're running a real stand alone that will do the same things that the JB4 does for the BMW guys.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    I doubt a wideband gauge would save you from a sudden lean out. First off, are you guys just starting at wideband readings while you do a pull? I’d rather melt a piston than stare at a gauge while going who knows how fast.

Second, if you really get a serious lean condition, you’ll have what maybe a second or so to react to it? I doubt folks would be able to back off in time if you suddenly leaned out like crazy. You’d have to be 100% focused on the gauge, then digest what you are seeing and react to it instantly.

If you want to tune a single and not melt things, be careful and go slowly. I really doubt a gauge is going to help much in the real world.

JB4 will auto switch to the boosting off the spring if it sees things way out of whack, Cobb does very well with adding in trim and avoiding lean conditions in the first place. If it happens, it’s almost certainly the end users fault.
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just to clarify, the WB gauge is not the end all solution to not melting pistons. It's just a tool, that as of right now, no one in the BMW community uses. (almost no one, Chuck LOL). It may not be necessary for JB4 guys, but it can still be a piece of mind for those that don't mind an aftermarket gauge in their BMW. I personally didn't like the idea of gauges in my BMW LOL. but I wasn't pushing it to the ragged edge with a single turbo either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Actually when tuning a car without a JB4, yes, you're looking at the wideband gauge while making a WOT pull. That's why the gauge is somewhere where you can see it in your peripheral and that's why the gauges have colors and things, so you don't exactly have to be able to read the numbers. I'd say that if you're going WOT and you hit 13 AFR you prob have more than 1 whole sec before you melt things but it's a good indicator to let off the throttle. After flash tuning Mitsubishis for the last 2 years, that's really all you have to go off of, and things can go south really fast. JB4 spoils a lot of BMW people. It's not that easy on any other platform unless you're running a real stand alone that will do the same things that the JB4 does for the BMW guys.
    If you are tuning on the dyno (where you should be), then yea for sure, agreed. But I must be frank here, a lot of people seem to be doing this by the seat of their pants. DIY single then tuning on the street more or less blind. In that scenario, you could tap 50 wideband gauges and it won’t save anyone.

I hear you though…

Edit: and I’m sure you’d agree that MSD81 is in another universe of nuance and intelligence than DSM ECUs. But your point still stands, for sure.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    HAHA yes. Agreed. The MSD81 is like a supercomputer, even compared to an EVO ECU. I have DSMLink V3 in my DSM and do like that quit a bit, but it's certainly no MSD81 with a JB4.

If you are tuning on the dyno (where you should be), then yea for sure, agreed. But I must be frank here, a lot of people seem to be doing this by the seat of their pants. DIY single then tuning on the street more or less blind. In that scenario, you could tap 50 wideband gauges and it won’t save anyone.

I hear you though…

Edit: and I’m sure you’d agree that MSD81 is in another universe of nuance and intelligence than DSM ECUs. But your point still stands, for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

For some odd reason, the DME alone will not limp out if AFR goes lean, I have no idea why and never found a way to fix it via Cobb or the BB flash. As far as I know that is a JB4 only feature.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For some odd reason, the DME alone will not limp out if AFR goes lean, I have no idea why and never found a way to fix it via Cobb or the BB flash. As far as I know that is a JB4 only feature.
    Well now that is some good info. BTW Terry, I'll hopefully be tuning and dyno run next saturday. Going to do step by step dyno and road tuning, hopefully make a day of it assuming no issues.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow, I’ve never had that happen but that is surprising and lame. So if it senses things out of hand, is its’ only reaction to pull out load, shut the throttle plate, and add in a ton of trim? I trust the DME on the fueling side, and in my opinion Cobb does extremely well in terms of avoiding fuel problems provided the tuning is sound. But still, surprising there isn’t a hard cylinder shut off or the like.

But no question, auto switching to map 4 is very, very smart on your part. Most piggybacks couldn’t dream of that type of control and forethought, so credit where credit is due.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow, I’ve never had that happen but that is surprising and lame. So if it senses things out of hand, is its’ only reaction to pull out load, shut the throttle plate, and add in a ton of trim? I trust the DME on the fueling side, and in my opinion Cobb does extremely well in terms of avoiding fuel problems provided the tuning is sound. But still, surprising there isn’t a hard cylinder shut off or the like.

But no question, auto switching to map 4 is very, very smart on your part. Most piggybacks couldn’t dream of that type of control and forethought, so credit where credit is due.
    The DME does nothing at all. It just motors along like everything is fine with a 20:1 AFR. It doesn't even lower its load target. Bizarre.

Fuel trims work within a +34% range whether you are using a flash only tune, back end flash + JB4, or JB4 alone. With a JB4 in the mix the JB4 also can dynamically adjust the fuel pressure return to give another 30-40% of fuel trim room.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NJrep335i Click here to enlarge
    Attachment 37529

Here is how it should be. Make sure you are using your boost reference as depicted in the diagram.
    my setup is same as the pic, i think the problem from the boost solenoid power,
    how i can know if its pwered up ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Just to clarify, the WB gauge is not the end all solution to not melting pistons. It's just a tool, that as of right now, no one in the BMW community uses. (almost no one, Chuck LOL). It may not be necessary for JB4 guys, but it can still be a piece of mind for those that don't mind an aftermarket gauge in their BMW. I personally didn't like the idea of gauges in my BMW LOL. but I wasn't pushing it to the ragged edge with a single turbo either.
    Well the COBB AP V3 has options for 6 heads up gauges, WHENEVER testing I have both banks real time AFR as my bottom 2 gauges. Real Time AFR readings I can monitor at eye level, and you don't have to buy 2 wideband O2 gauge kits, pull the DP's drill them and have the bungs welded in, then run the wiring, mount the gauges etc. the AP V3 is honestly a very cool tool.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes, agreed. The V3 AP does do what a WB gauge would do and is a lot easier to install Click here to enlarge I think if I were single turbo N54 with a JB4, I'd like a WB just for piece of mind. So I didn't have to wait to look at my laptop to view my AFR. If I was a Cobb ST guy, the V3 would def be a good option. V2 wouldn't cut it for me though.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Well the COBB AP V3 has options for 6 heads up gauges, WHENEVER testing I have both banks real time AFR as my bottom 2 gauges. Real Time AFR readings I can monitor at eye level, and you don't have to buy 2 wideband O2 gauge kits, pull the DP's drill them and have the bungs welded in, then run the wiring, mount the gauges etc. the AP V3 is honestly a very cool tool.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    any wrong with my WG connections?
    should i replace the two lines to the red circle?
    @Terry@BMS
    @
    fastgti69
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    can someone tell me what ports should i block and what ports open to atmosphere.
    MVS 38mm

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You need to use one top port and one bottom port. All the rest of the ports besides the H2O ports need to be blocked.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes, agreed. The V3 AP does do what a WB gauge would do and is a lot easier to install Click here to enlarge I think if I were single turbo N54 with a JB4, I'd like a WB just for piece of mind. So I didn't have to wait to look at my laptop to view my AFR. If I was a Cobb ST guy, the V3 would def be a good option. V2 wouldn't cut it for me though.
    Every time I floor the car I can read boost and either timing or AFR in dash real time depending on which setting is enabled on the fly. No need to get anything out or set anything up. Fuel and oil temp just swap to boost and AFR every time you floor it then swap back after you're done racing around. Priceless data.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    You need to use one top port and one bottom port. All the rest of the ports besides the H2O ports need to be blocked.
    thanx Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    if your blowing oil out of your VC breather and you have a $#@!ty idle, I'd bet good money you cracked at least one ringland on at least one piston.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This thread is the most perfect example of why these installs should be done by shops with experience in turbochargers and only shops with experience in turbo chargers. This thread is also a perfect example of why OP's with such little experience should move forward very very slowly after the initial install and make sure everything is set up properly. Overfilling your oil even to an extreme wouldn't push it out the breather, you would start burning oil and smoking. If you are pushing out the breather, your engine is hurt. No two ways about it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast