Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Anyone running a smaller single turbo?

Anyone running or considered running a smaller twin scroll turbo to still get full boost before 2000rpm but more power than stock turbos? I'm looking at the Borgwarner EFR 7163 with the 0.80 divided turbine housing. Anyone done it with that sorta sized turbo?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Full boost before 2000 rpm sounds like a turbo that will be out of steam pretty quickly and that's on the N54's already low redline.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Anywhere around 2000rpm would be great. If stock turbos can make 14psi at around 1500rpm, i can't see why the right sized twin scroll single turbo couldn't make 14psi somewhere around 2000rpm and hold boost flat all the way to 7000rpm, generating considerably less heat than stock turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think a gtx3076 would be nice for DD. It'll make enough power to have some fun on the street.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

pt 5862

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Garret GTX3076r or a FP HTA3076r. Both those turbos would start spooling pretty quickly and deliver more power than a stage 2 upgrade. Actually, you may even see 600whp all out, and would spool below 3krpm. I'm not sure about hitting full boost at 2000RPM but I don't really see that as necessary. Keep in mind the manifold design will also have an effect on spool.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

You can go smaller if you're just trying to be around stage 2 turbos, like a Garret GTX3067r, or something, but I don't know if I'd spend the money for a single turbo conversion only to have a 500whp goal. I think Terry has proved the car is a lot of fun and spool pretty quickly with a PT 5862. I honestly just trust Precision even less on a smaller turbo setup where you're pushing the turbo harder to see power

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know someone at burger is running a 5858. That should be a great match up, especially for auto guys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    A GTX3076 with a .63 turbine housing would 100% be good for 600WHP on this motor, its such an efficient motor you can generally make more than what the turbo is rated for before they run out of steam. I actually think I am going to run our smallest stage 3 option on the shop car once we get a kit here just to see how fun it is on the street, gonna try to get 600 out of it. Then when the built motor is done shoot for 900+ on the GTX2867's

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Agreed Tony. I think a .63 turbine housing on a GTX3076r or an HTA3076r will outspool anything put on an N54 to date, including Terry's TS 5858. And they'll still make 600HP. That would be a fun setup!
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    A GTX3076 with a .63 turbine housing would 100% be good for 600WHP on this motor, its such an efficient motor you can generally make more than what the turbo is rated for before they run out of steam. I actually think I am going to run our smallest stage 3 option on the shop car once we get a kit here just to see how fun it is on the street, gonna try to get 600 out of it. Then when the built motor is done shoot for 900+ on the GTX2867's
    Do you think that the GTX2860 will easily do 700whp? I was thinking about choosing the smallest turbos for my stage 3 setup.
    Titanium Silver E92 09 BMW 335i xdrive 6AT
    KW V3 coilovers, AMS FMIC, AR Catless DP, Walbro 455 LPFP, BMS DCI, Alpina B3 Trans Flash, Vargas HPFP and Rail
    Protuned via Cobb by JR TUNED @ PandL Motorsports
    75%E85/25%93 blend 430awhp/470lbs tq on AWD Dynojet
    Dyno Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE6Ed...ature=youtu.be

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DQE92 Click here to enlarge
    Do you think that the GTX2860 will easily do 700whp? I was thinking about choosing the smallest turbos for my stage 3 setup.
    if you're using 2 of them. I don't believe just one will easily do 700whp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    if you're using 2 of them. I don't believe just one will easily do 700whp.
    I have the Vargas Stage 3 Twin Turbo kit pre-ordered. Yeah would be quite a feat with just one of those turbos.
    Titanium Silver E92 09 BMW 335i xdrive 6AT
    KW V3 coilovers, AMS FMIC, AR Catless DP, Walbro 455 LPFP, BMS DCI, Alpina B3 Trans Flash, Vargas HPFP and Rail
    Protuned via Cobb by JR TUNED @ PandL Motorsports
    75%E85/25%93 blend 430awhp/470lbs tq on AWD Dynojet
    Dyno Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE6Ed...ature=youtu.be

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    So the VTR25r or the gtx2860? I was under the impression there would be little to no difference in spool between the gtx2860 and gtx2863 so was leaning more towards the 63. Hopefully the time to choose which turbo to go with is coming soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

No point putting a .63 on a GTX3076 IMO as the the turbine side will run out of flow far before the compressor does. A GTX3071R with one of the new divided .82 housings should outspool a GTX3076R .63 and still make more top-end.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bradsm87 Click here to enlarge
    No point putting a .63 on a GTX3076 IMO as the the turbine side will run out of flow far before the compressor does. A GTX3071R with one of the new divided .82 housings should outspool a GTX3076R .63 and still make more top-end.
    You would think so, but you would be wrong. The GTX3076 is one of the most potent combinations in the GTX line-up. I would have to look back, but I posted a bunch of links to dynos of guys making 600+ WHP on .63 housings with amazing spool, you switch to a .82 housing and the GTX3076 was taking down the GTX3582 everywhere except the very peak of the rev band where it was giving up 20-30 WHP, and thats it. The GTX3076 is one bad little turbo. The GTX3071 will spool basically the same as 3076 and just not flow as much, really no reason to run it in my opinion. Also for the above, running the smallest option VTR25R maybe the VTR28R, as those both have the smaller turbine wheel. Once you jump up to the VTR28RS you jump to the bigger turbine. Curious to see what the little guys will do on this motor with a well designed manifold and free flow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Agreed Tony. I think a .63 turbine housing on a GTX3076r or an HTA3076r will outspool anything put on an N54 to date, including Terry's TS 5858. And they'll still make 600HP. That would be a fun setup!
    This is why I want a top mount; you can try a turbo out and easily swap it if you want something else (or maybe for a mexico run).

I think a HTA 3076 should be a fast spooling, small turbo. I'd inch my way bigger from there.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

You would think so, but you would be wrong.
    The divided (twin scroll) .82 responds quicker than a single .63 and flows about half way between the open .63 and .82. Also the GTX3071 has been proven to spool noticeably better than the GTX3076 on other engines so same would apply on an N54.

I've personally tried both "big compressor/small turbine and housing" turbos and "small compressor/big turbine and housing" turbos and I'll never go back to a big compressor/small turbine turbo again. It's harder to get the most out of them (ignition timing and cam timing) but when you do, it'll generally make more torque everywhere for the same boost level, more torque off boost and more torque as it's ramping on to boost due to the lower exhaust back pressure. Also better detonation threshold.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

I just don't really see any "Big" turbo coming to full spool (20+ PSI) @ 2k an option for this car. I'm sure there is a turbo that can do that, but not really make more power over stock lol.

@VargasTurboTech, do you honestly think the GTX3076 will spool 20 psi by 2krpm? I don't think so personally, but you have much more turbo experience than I do.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    This is why I want a top mount; you can try a turbo out and easily swap it if you want something else (or maybe for a mexico run).

I think a HTA 3076 should be a fast spooling, small turbo. I'd inch my way bigger from there.
    I doubt you would be swapping turbos as often as you think. Shouldn't be a big issue picking the right turbo up front.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    I just don't really see any "Big" turbo coming to full spool (20+ PSI) @ 2k an option for this car. I'm sure there is a turbo that can do that, but not really make more power over stock lol.
    Maybe 2000rpm was a bit optimistic on my behalf. 2200-2300 is definitely achievable though. Think about the stock twins. They can make around 14psi at 1500rpm. A single twin scroll is generally 'best of both worlds' between twin turbos and a single turbo (exhaust pulse separation like twin turbos but higher efficiency of a bigger single). With that info in mind, a single latest-gen (eg BW EFR) twin scroll turbo that makes 15 or 16psi at 2200rpm is going to have at least a good 25% more top-end over maxed out stock turbos and achieve it at lower boost and less heat generated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    I doubt you would be swapping turbos as often as you think. Shouldn't be a big issue picking the right turbo up front.
    If someone thinks they are going to get any single that can support over 400 WHP to make 15 psi by 2000 RPM they are outright fooling themselves. The ONLY and I repeat ONLY turbos you are going to see that kind of spool from are the woefully undersized factory units that are sized that way to give seem less throttle response and no feeling of a turbo present at all. Its also why these are ditched as soon as you want to make more power, but everything is a trade off, bigger turbo, more time to spool. There is no magic, turbo choice is key, only go as big as your HP ceiling and you will enjoy driving your car a lot more than if you go huge cause its cool to have the biggest turbo. Either way 2000 RPM is a pipe dream for any aftermarket setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bradsm87 Click here to enlarge
    Maybe 2000rpm was a bit optimistic on my behalf. 2200-2300 is definitely achievable though. Think about the stock twins. They can make around 14psi at 1500rpm. A single twin scroll is generally 'best of both worlds' between twin turbos and a single turbo (exhaust pulse separation like twin turbos but higher efficiency of a bigger single). With that info in mind, a single latest-gen (eg BW EFR) twin scroll turbo that makes 15 or 16psi at 2200rpm is going to have at least a good 25% more top-end over maxed out stock turbos and achieve it at lower boost and less heat generated.
    If you want spool by 22-2300 expect to cap out around 420-430 WHP maybe a little higher. You keep comparing the stock turbos, the turbine wheels are like match sticks, and they weigh nothing, of course you are going to get quick spool, the only reason people are able to get good numbers out of them is because them push them to within an inch of their life. If you think you are spooling anything below 3000 RPM and have enough flow to make over 500 WHP, you are fooling yourself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Good discussion here...keep it up! Engine ve also plays an important part in how said turbo(s) will behave as well.

@VargasTurboTech which turbo would you run on a N54 and why, PT *I know you don't prefer PT, but humor me* 6266 T4 divided housing .84 a/r or 1.00 a/r? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, power goals would be low 700's when proper fueling is up to par.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

If you want spool by 22-2300 expect to cap out around 420-430 WHP maybe a little higher. You keep comparing the stock turbos, the turbine wheels are like match sticks, and they weigh nothing, of course you are going to get quick spool, the only reason people are able to get good numbers out of them is because them push them to within an inch of their life. If you think you are spooling anything below 3000 RPM and have enough flow to make over 500 WHP, you are fooling yourself.
    Agreed. 420-430whp is around what i'd be looking for, no more.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast