Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man i understand budget but c'mon a american muscle car engine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a BMW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a BaraCUDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jacobs323i Click here to enlarge
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man i understand budget but c'mon a american muscle car engine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a BMW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a BaraCUDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The LS motors are cheaper, more reliable, easier to maintain, and just about the best choice for a swap.

M30 with boost is nice, but not a cheap option and they will never offer the response or low end torque of a big V8.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The LS motors are cheaper, more reliable, easier to maintain, and just about the best choice for a swap.

M30 with boost is nice, but not a cheap option and they will never offer the response or low end torque of a big V8.

I agree with Sticky on this one. BMW M30 parts are downright expensive...meaning its I choose debt for life or sell the car. Pretty much the price breakdown is this:

Overhaul the M30: $500 in parts (gasket set, timing chain rollers guides waterpump etc)
    Rods: $1200
    Pistons:$1000-1200
    Turbo Manifold: $1200
    Turbo: $1500
    Engine Management -$1700-4000 (depending on who I go with)
    Intercooler setup- $1000 (liquid to air setup is most feasible)
    Headwork $1000 (cam springs retainers valves)
    Machine work - ?

Minimum so far is $9300. And I havent even paid for machine work, or tuning. No clutch and no drivetrain upgrades yet either.

Not to mention, its been done already a dozen times over, you make a good 400hp or so then the clutch has to go to a puck clutch or spend $2000 on some exotic twin disc....not something Im looking for on my drives out with the car. Who has done an LS swap? I know one person on BFC who did it in an E34 (wagon too).

I buy a salvaged Camaro SS or Firebird WS6 for cheap on copart.com or an auction for $500-2000 and I have everything I need. For the price of $10k I can have AFR build me an LS motor with all the goodies and make 660 crank hp with a good idle and mild cam. Try that in the BMW and make the same torque over the same range and drive it every day without $#@!ty cold starts and fouling plugs.

I had talked to Mike Burroughs of StanceWorks last summer over this. It was this or an N54 swap....and he agreed that the LS would be much more fun and would definitely make a splash in the pool...Purists be damned.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

You can easily make 600 HP with an LS motor and it will take it all day.

I prefer to go fast than jerk off to brand names.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    I prefer to go fast than jerk off to brand names.
    Exactly, we aren't that kind of board.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Like i said if you dont have the money budget for this project i understand, just hard for me to swallow and no i am not a purist! With that being said it is still a very cool project and will be very fast! Good luck man!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jacobs323i Click here to enlarge
    Like i said if you dont have the money budget for this project i understand, just hard for me to swallow and no i am not a purist! With that being said it is still a very cool project and will be very fast! Good luck man!
    I'm all about setting the bar and being different. Just like you....of course you could have swapped an S54 in or supercharged it, but you turboed the little 323 and made some pretty hefty numbers!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    I'm all about setting the bar and being different. Just like you....of course you could have swapped an S54 in or supercharged it, but you turboed the little 323 and made some pretty hefty numbers!
    Very very true! It will be an awesome build, and good luck to you sir i can't wait to see and hear that thing in action Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Change of plans, I hate to do this but I will be scrapping the project shortly. Most likely just gonna fix the odds and ends, get her running decently with AC and put her up for sale.

Priorities have changed and I don't see myself owning another car for some time, will be rocking the Toyota until whenever...moving out of the house has rapidly elevated itself to the front of the list.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Change of plans, I hate to do this but I will be scrapping the project shortly. Most likely just gonna fix the odds and ends, get her running decently with AC and put her up for sale.

Priorities have changed and I don't see myself owning another car for some time, will be rocking the Toyota until whenever...moving out of the house has rapidly elevated itself to the front of the list.
    No need to explain yourself Matt, your life is your own business.

Clean up the E28, put her up, and I'll do what I can to get your exposure to help out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

sorry to hear that i was very excited to see you work on this project! Hope all is well and goes well for you sir.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

I would like to apologize, I was quite inebriated last night, I will be keeping the car, but I will be going back to the original plan I had a year ago, and that was swapping the M30B35 in and doing a simple overhaul and making it look nice. I still have the engine, found me a good used harness I need for the conversion and with my discounts I can have it freshened up for relatively cheap.

Prices came down significantly for the euro bumper conversion, so I will be doing them in primer and spraying them matte black.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I would like to apologize, I was quite inebriated last night
    No need to apologize, way to go. Nice to have vendors who don't pretend to be perfect robots.

I will be keeping the car, but I will be going back to the original plan I had a year ago, and that was swapping the M30B35 in and doing a simple overhaul and making it look nice. I still have the engine, found me a good used harness I need for the conversion and with my discounts I can have it freshened up for relatively cheap.
    What kind of shape is that engine in?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

No need to apologize, way to go. Nice to have vendors who don't pretend to be perfect robots.

What kind of shape is that engine in?
    Its in good shape actually. As my mechanic and other sources have confirmed, BMW got their metallurgy spot on in the 80s, early 90s...they usually need no crank balancing, the cylinders can get by with no work. I will be giving them a slight hone, and having the rotating assembly checked out. Magnafluxing is an option, its not too pricey, and i am looking to focus on reliability and strength...this engine needs to be done once right the first time around.

Headwork will consist of the basics, new stem seals, new improved rockers that feature a larger footprint, and maybe a mild cam (factory is 264, could get a 272 for a small bump in the mid range without needing to do the valvetrain and rework the combustion bowls). Ported stock manifolds with my own midpipes, no cat. 9:1 compression, 3.5L.

Somewhere down the road it will get a low boost kit that will not tax the drivetrain, and i can enjoy 320hp which will be more than enough for me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Plug n Play conversion harness has arrived Click here to enlarge. Was sold to me out of a car with the exact same setup..I need to do nothing to get get the motor running now, other get the motor mount brackets from Koala Motorsports. The M30 will be going off to the engine shop in 2 weeks to get a teardown...

I would have done it sooner but I found out yesterday that my Toyota Pickup had its left rear leaf spring assembly separate (the locator pin that holds them all together sheared, causing the axle to cock off to one side a bit..the truck dogwalks down the road at an alarming angle), and the front bushings in the leaf spring assemblies are both shot. The former owner used Poly bushings in them, and the developed a 'memory' and the hole for the bolt developed quite a bit of play.

Add to that, the $400 in parts I just spent to rebuild the front end (two new tie rod assemblies, the center link, idler arm assembly, steering shock and a left front brake caliper), and its at least $700 out the door that could have gone into the E28...oh well, time to get more projects in the door Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Nice. I gotta come down to the shop 1 of these days.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

I could still technically boost it on this setup..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes you could
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

we will see how the funds progress..there is a dinan turbo kit floating around ebay for $2100.

I wonder how much I could talk him down to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

we will see how the funds progress..there is a dinan turbo kit floating around ebay for $2100.

I wonder how much I could talk him down to.
    Link?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Link?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TURBO...Q5fAccessories

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Do you think it is worth that money?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Do you think it is worth that money?

Kinda tough to say. Id offer maybe 1000 at most. Its a turbonetics turbo...who knows how long those things last.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had a boosted b35 in my e30 before swapping it out. I will probably be starting a boosted e28 535 this summer. If our timing schedules coincide with one an other, i can help you out on a manifold and downpipe setup. You can pm me if you want more details.

If you are into any kind of racing down in Mexico, we have probably crossed each others path at some point. The locals to me use to meet up with locals to you a few years ago and all the time have some fun. I was often just company tagging along riding with someone else.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I have some M30 turbo stuff for sale, I dont think I'm going to turbo my E34 anymore.

I'm not sure if you wuld be interestd in much of it except the cast cartech turbo manifold, looking to get $375 shipped within the US.

feel free to PM me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast