Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Thinking of dropping the M3 and picking up a 09+ CTS-V

I'm at my wits end trying to get a $#@!ing tune for this VF540 kit I've had sitting in my garage for 4 months. I'm wanting to get rid of my SUV at the same time and thinking of trying for a 2-fer at a dealer.

Anyone make that switch before? I love the way my M drives and I've never driven a 09+ V (I drove an 06, but came away unimpressed vs my 335i that I later bought).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hate the CTS-V styling.

What's wrong with the VF kit? Why not go NA w bolt-ons? You need the big power? Why not dump the VF kit and pick up the Evolve kit?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That supercharged motor in the V is an excellent platform for tuning/bolt ons. Ive seen many stock blower CTS-V's in the 10's
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    I hate the CTS-V styling.

What's wrong with the VF kit? Why not go NA w bolt-ons? You need the big power? Why not dump the VF kit and pick up the Evolve kit?
    I can't install it without a tune. I went with an Evolve-based tune but now it's looking like it won't happen after 4 months of waiting. I bought my S/C kit used. Not paying that much money (for a new kit) for something that will struggle to break 12s Click here to enlarge I just wanted something fun and affordable, a VF540 in an E93 M3 sounded fun. N/A w/ boltons isn't fast enough.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rdeterman Click here to enlarge
    That supercharged motor in the V is an excellent platform for tuning/bolt ons. Ive seen many stock blower CTS-V's in the 10's
    I've seen similar. Pretty ridiculous numbers they're putting out with mild mods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Where do you live? Can't you just take it to Undercover, Eurocharge, or any other tuner and have it tuned?
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Where do you live? Can't you just take it to Undercover, Eurocharge, or any other tuner and have it tuned?
    Yes, pretty sure he can
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    I'm at my wits end trying to get a $#@!ing tune for this VF540 kit I've had sitting in my garage for 4 months. I'm wanting to get rid of my SUV at the same time and thinking of trying for a 2-fer at a dealer.

Anyone make that switch before? I love the way my M drives and I've never driven a 09+ V (I drove an 06, but came away unimpressed vs my 335i that I later bought).
    What is the problem regarding your tune?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't install it without a tune. I went with an Evolve-based tune but now it's looking like it won't happen after 4 months of waiting. I bought my S/C kit used. Not paying that much money (for a new kit) for something that will struggle to break 12s Click here to enlarge I just wanted something fun and affordable, a VF540 in an E93 M3 sounded fun. N/A w/ boltons isn't fast enough.
    I hear you. I'm not a drag-racer so that is not that big a deal. Confused about the "evolve-based" tune and 4 months? Maybe I'm late to the story, but confused so having problems suggesting alternatives. I think a CTS-V *can* look aggressive and cool, but I'm not a fan in stock trim. If 1/4 was the goal, then why start with an E93? ...or you just wanted a stupid fast vert? I can understand that I suppose...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What is the problem regarding your tune?
    I went through Undercover. It was going to be a remote tune. I bought an Evolve tuner from them with the promise that they would be able to tune my VF540 kit. First they'd email me a tune to get me on the road and then do a remote dyno tune once I finished the install and was able to get to a dyno. I thought that Undercover would be tuning it themselves (and they may be intending that for the remote dyno, I don't know). But for the base tune they're attempting to go through Evolve directly.

Undercover has responded quickly to all my questions, but they keep telling me that Evolve is taking a long time to respond or is backed up. After 3 months, I went and investigated and found that yes, Evolve was backed up with tuning because they've had a huge demand with their free 240E software upgrade. I asked a question to see if they would be caught up soon because I had been waiting for a while.

Now I'm told that Sal at Evolve does not tune VF kits at all. So I'm sitting here with a tuner cable that I have no use for and is now bound to by DME because I used it for the initial read.

I feel like I can't get anywhere with it and I'm pissed off because the M3 tuner market is so locked down that even if I pay good money comparatively speaking for a tune, I can't even get a tune. So yes, seeing the CTS-V aftermarket and understanding I could be trapping 130mph with the same money I've paid for my S/C kit that I'm unable to use (and also tune it myself which I'd prefer) makes me think the grass is greener on the other side.

I hate to call people and places out because there's always misunderstandings and miscommunications, and I've been very patient. But I'm getting fed up. This is probably the wrong subforum for this as I was just asking about the CTS-V. sorry

I hear you. I'm not a drag-racer so that is not that big a deal. Confused about the "evolve-based" tune and 4 months? Maybe I'm late to the story, but confused so having problems suggesting alternatives. I think a CTS-V *can* look aggressive and cool, but I'm not a fan in stock trim. If 1/4 was the goal, then why start with an E93? ...or you just wanted a stupid fast vert? I can understand that I suppose...
    I'm no drag-racer either, but it is fun to go fast. I'm more concerned with trap speeds to be honest. And I went with a E93 because in the fun-to-drive metric it was way better than the E92. I'd take a slower car if it meant it was more fun to drive, but I got the blower because I figured ~118mph traps would be a lot of fun for a simple bolt-on kit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmmmmm...sounds like a communication issue. I've never heard of Evolve tuning VF kits either, although anything is possible. If I put myself in a tuner's shoes though, I would not want to tune someone else's kit that is currently having issues : (

Where do things stand with VF?

Sorry for your troubles - sucks when fun things like cars turn into problems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmmmmm...sounds like a communication issue. I've never heard of Evolve tuning VF kits either, although anything is possible. If I put myself in a tuner's shoes though, I would not want to tune someone else's kit that is currently having issues : (

Where do things stand with VF?

Sorry for your troubles - sucks when fun things like cars turn into problems.
    Nothings wrong with VF kits as far as I know, just the VF canned tune is suspect and well-known for being inconsistent. This is why I went with Undercover and they assured me that it would run far better this way. I'm guessing they made a mistake assuming Evolve could tune the VF kit. There's not all that much difference between the Vortech-based kits, mostly injector sizing differences.

EDIT:
    Sal contacted me, we might work something out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    CTS V's respond so well to mods and it's extremely easy to find a good tuner. Heck, you can tune it yourself with HP tuners.

This was at a track rental last month with my car.

2012 CTS V - Sedan - 6AT

Stage 1 Mods:
    - 2.5 upper pulley, Ported snout/throttle body, Fluidyne HX, Airaid CAI w/green filter, ID850 injectors

Stage 2 Mods:
    - American Racing Headers w/X-pipe, 9.1 Lower Pulley, Tune Time Custom Cam, Moroso Dual Catch Cans, Zl1 Lid, Norcal Tank

Stage 3 Mods:
    - LSA ported/polished heads, 4.5" G-Force intake, Nick Williams 102mm T-body, 8.6 Lower Pulley

12.18 @ 118.98 - STOCK
    10.87 @ 127.02 - STAGE 1
    10.53 @ 131.31 - STAGE 2
    10.47 @ 133.20 - STAGE 3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I went through Undercover. It was going to be a remote tune. I bought an Evolve tuner from them with the promise that they would be able to tune my VF540 kit. First they'd email me a tune to get me on the road and then do a remote dyno tune once I finished the install and was able to get to a dyno. I thought that Undercover would be tuning it themselves (and they may be intending that for the remote dyno, I don't know). But for the base tune they're attempting to go through Evolve directly.

Undercover has responded quickly to all my questions, but they keep telling me that Evolve is taking a long time to respond or is backed up. After 3 months, I went and investigated and found that yes, Evolve was backed up with tuning because they've had a huge demand with their free 240E software upgrade. I asked a question to see if they would be caught up soon because I had been waiting for a while.

Now I'm told that Sal at Evolve does not tune VF kits at all. So I'm sitting here with a tuner cable that I have no use for and is now bound to by DME because I used it for the initial read.

I feel like I can't get anywhere with it and I'm pissed off because the M3 tuner market is so locked down that even if I pay good money comparatively speaking for a tune, I can't even get a tune. So yes, seeing the CTS-V aftermarket and understanding I could be trapping 130mph with the same money I've paid for my S/C kit that I'm unable to use (and also tune it myself which I'd prefer) makes me think the grass is greener on the other side.

I hate to call people and places out because there's always misunderstandings and miscommunications, and I've been very patient. But I'm getting fed up. This is probably the wrong subforum for this as I was just asking about the CTS-V. sorry

I'm no drag-racer either, but it is fun to go fast. I'm more concerned with trap speeds to be honest. And I went with a E93 because in the fun-to-drive metric it was way better than the E92. I'd take a slower car if it meant it was more fun to drive, but I got the blower because I figured ~118mph traps would be a lot of fun for a simple bolt-on kit.
    Where are you located?

I don't see any reason Evolve could not tune your car but has tuned other SC kits. I mean, why not?

@evolve @Imran@Evolve

Let's get this resolved.

Evolve is definitely busy and since they are overseas that complicates things a bit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nothings wrong with VF kits as far as I know, just the VF canned tune is suspect and well-known for being inconsistent. This is why I went with Undercover and they assured me that it would run far better this way. I'm guessing they made a mistake assuming Evolve could tune the VF kit. There's not all that much difference between the Vortech-based kits, mostly injector sizing differences.

EDIT:
    Sal contacted me, we might work something out.
    Ok I'm glad to hear this. I'm moving this to the S65 section since we are discussing tuning that motor.

Additionally, if your VF tune works why change it? Or do you just want a better tune?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ok I'm glad to hear this. I'm moving this to the S65 section since we are discussing tuning that motor.

Additionally, if your VF tune works why change it? Or do you just want a better tune?
    I don't have a VF tune. I bought the kit used for less than half of the new price. It was one of those "too good to pass up" deals. The VF tune itself was $1k and the Evolve tune that involved remote dyno sessions wasn't much more than that, so I figured the route to take was obvious. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't have a VF tune. I bought the kit used for less than half of the new price. It was one of those "too good to pass up" deals. The VF tune itself was $1k and the Evolve tune that involved remote dyno sessions wasn't much more than that, so I figured the route to take was obvious. Click here to enlarge
    Ahhh gotcha. Well then lol this is easy you are just missing a tune.

Let's get you hooked up. Where are you located?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Central Florida. Sal says he's willing to get me a tune but that I'll have to datalog for him as he doesn't have one for VF yet. I figure it's a good chance for me to contribute to the community some. I've already paid for the services (back in December), it's just taken a while to get the ball rolling for various reasons. I'm hopeful now Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Central Florida. Sal says he's willing to get me a tune but that I'll have to datalog for him as he doesn't have one for VF yet. I figure it's a good chance for me to contribute to the community some. I've already paid for the services (back in December), it's just taken a while to get the ball rolling for various reasons. I'm hopeful now Click here to enlarge
    There's options in Florida. Regardless, if Sal contacted you then work it out with him and let's see what happens. You'll be happy once that kit is running strong.

AND btw I'd seek other options than VF's tune too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

try benvo lol or maybe bren tuning
    m3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inter1032 Click here to enlarge
    Rk tuning as well.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inter1032 Click here to enlarge
    You should contact Benvo - he may actually already have the VF tune! LOL!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ghey

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSO95 Click here to enlarge
    ghey
    Ground breaking stuff here. Tell us more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ground breaking stuff here. Tell us more.
    It would be rather rude to elaborate on your sexual preferences over the internet don't you think?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well this thread is definitely going to help someone come to a decision... on something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast