Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Evolve - more great customer service and help - years after my purchase.

Hey all,

I've never seen a bad thing written about Evolve, so it seems almost silly to post yet another positive review. However, Sal and the team just got me out of another jam and I feel compelled to sing their praises once again.

As some of you know, I have a Fabspeed HFC+xpipe setup with extenders for the O2 sensors. This setup has passed emissions several times here in PA without any issue. However, as some of you are likely finding out, the MSS60 is a very intelligent ECU and it has a lot of very granular testing for emissions. A number of these tests are effected as the cat ages, environmental changes (ambient temperature for instance), etc. As a result, after a number of years with this setup, the ECU no longer liked the values it was seeing at the rear o2 sensor and was throwing codes and not passing OBD readiness for inspection! Big problem for me as this is not only my driver, but also my touring car, and track car!

I reached out to Evolve to see what could be done. Keep in mind that it has literally been years since I gave Evolve a dollar - I was one of the first to buy their flash setup here in the US. Less than a day later Sal got back to me, giving me some advice, and getting me their new flash software. I read out my full ECU, sent it off, and a couple of days later I had a new image to load.

The thing that is unique about this tune is that it does not simply delete or eliminate the OBD tests and associated DTCs that would be thrown should they fail. While that may be a viable option for some tuners, and track-only cars, it will not allow the car to pass inspection in any state that uses OBD to check for "readiness". After running through the BMW readiness tests, I'm happy to say that all of my monitors are showing ready and I will be heading in to pass inspection this Thursday - just in time for a track day on Saturday! I'm sure it would have been an interesting conversation with the marshals at the track had my car had expired inspection! Who knows if they would have even let me run.

See below for the ultra-annoying BMW drive cycle I had to follow to get all the tests to run. Nothing like driving 57 in the slow-lane and having people almost run you off the road! Gotta love American drivers... ; )

Big thanks to Sal and the team. Simply put - they love their customers, they love what they do, and they are innovating constantly. I'm proud to call myself a customer and look forward to buying Sal, Imran, and the rest of the team a "pint" one day or a "spot of tea" should we cross-paths too early in the morning ; )
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice. I hate doing that readiness drive. But that's the exact picture I use too. Good info to have!
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Indeed - and here is some more info. Here are the codes I was throwing and the details from MSS60.pdf from TIS:

27CA is bank 1 (driver side)...27CB is bank 2 (pass side)...

I swapped the rear o2 on the driver side to no avail, that's when I figured out it was the cats aging and not a hardware failure. Evolve to the rescue!

27CA - P013B
    Information saved in DME
    Fault code 27CA - P013B
    Fault text Oxygen sensor after cat., bank 1, gradient monitoring
    Fault description O2 Sensor Slow Response - Lean to Rich (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
    Condition for fault
    identification
    Test condition:
    * Determination of max. signal gradients at reactivation
    within the voltage values
    (K_LANK_OBD_WE_GRAD_US_MIN +
    K_LANK_OBD_WE_GRAD_US_WIN) and
    K_LANK_OBD_WE_GRAD_US_MAX (350 mV - 570
    mV)
    * Determination of a standardized gradient for an aged
    oxygen sensor (from KL_LANK
    Terminal condition: Engine running
    Voltage condition:
    none
    Condition for fault
    memory entry
    of max. gradient in post-cat sensor signal during WE is
    determined within the voltage thresholds of
    (K_LANK_OBD_WE_GRAD_US_MIN +
    K_LANK_OBD_WE_GRAD_US_WIN) and
    K_LANK_OBD_WE_GRAD_US_MAX
    Action in service 1. Check exhaust system for leaks
    2. If OK, replace post-cat oxygen sensor LSNK B1
    Fault effect and
    breakdown warning
    MIL on after engine runs 2x / no effects on drivability
    Driver information Warning light:
    none
    Service instruction none

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not sure I understand. Why do you have to do that readiness drive?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm not sure I understand. Why do you have to do that readiness drive?
    to test if he's ready to pass inspections via OBD testing
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    to test if he's ready to pass inspections via OBD testing
    I've never seen or heard of this BMW process before.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I've never seen or heard of this BMW process before.
    It should happen naturally as you drive the car. But, if you are under a deadline, like me, then you can force it by driving like a weirdo to get them to pass. Supposedly you can get them all to pass in ~11miles if you do everything perfectly.

For instance, if you go for inspection at a BMW dealer and they hook up the car and it shows "not ready", they can manually execute some of these tests, but others will require the tech to drive. They will hook up a head unit and have it shotgun to watch the test progress, or take another tech with them so they know when the tests have passed or failed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    It should happen naturally as you drive the car. But, if you are under a deadline, like me, then you can force it by driving like a weirdo to get them to pass. Supposedly you can get them all to pass in ~11miles if you do everything perfectly.

For instance, if you go for inspection at a BMW dealer and they hook up the car and it shows "not ready", they can manually execute some of these tests, but others will require the tech to drive. They will hook up a head unit and have it shotgun to watch the test progress, or take another tech with them so they know when the tests have passed or failed.
    What are the reasons the car would not be ready? Degradation as you stated?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What are the reasons the car would not be ready? Degradation as you stated?
    Might be that it hasn't run through all the tests for the adequate amount of time. Could also have a "pending" code that has not thrown a DTC just yet. If you clear all the DTCs, as an example, it resets all readiness, so it will show "not ready". Also - if a tuner has simply disabled the check-engine light or specific DTCs - it will show not ready as well.

Also worth noting is that most states allow 1-2 tests to be incomplete and still pass inspection. PA, for example, allows cars after 2000 to have 1 readiness monitor "not ready" or "incomplete" without failing. Pre-2000 cars (IIRC) are allowed to have 2 monitors incomplete.

Also - just to add a real data point. I went to the dealer 2 weeks ago and it was not ready. There were 2 reasons - I had not run through all the tests for long enough (not enough drive time) and I also had pending codes 27CA and 27CB which were thrown on the way home from failing inspection at the dealer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Might be that it hasn't run through all the tests for the adequate amount of time. Could also have a "pending" code that has not thrown a DTC just yet. If you clear all the DTCs, as an example, it resets all readiness, so it will show "not ready". Also - if a tuner has simply disabled the check-engine light or specific DTCs - it will show not ready as well.

Also worth noting is that most states allow 1-2 tests to be incomplete and still pass inspection. PA, for example, allows cars after 2000 to have 1 readiness monitor "not ready" or "incomplete" without failing. Pre-2000 cars (IIRC) are allowed to have 2 monitors incomplete.

Also - just to add a real data point. I went to the dealer 2 weeks ago and it was not ready. There were 2 reasons - I had not run through all the tests for long enough (not enough drive time) and I also had pending codes 27CA and 27CB which were thrown on the way home from failing inspection at the dealer.
    Things are getting too damn complex.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Things are getting too damn complex.
    Concur. The 308 is a pretty nice breath of fresh air - almost 100% mechanical...and ignorance is bliss when it comes to engine monitoring.

The X5 diesel is an even bigger headache. I'll post about that at some point too. Teaser: EGR valve had massive build up after only 22k miles and failed. Now looks like MAF and/or temp sensor and/or o2 sensor is also failing. Oh and my exhaust gas cooler also was leaking...yes it cools the exhaust gas it recirculates into the engine - ugh. I would just disconnect it, but then I will have a persistent CEL. Anyway - will post on that in diesel section once I have it resolved.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Excellent review. EVOLVE keep impressing.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Officially passed today : ) Nice to be "legal" again!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Congrats! lol, it's always a good feeling to "pass" legally.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought that Evolve was able to disable the O2 sensors for track cars while keeping the readiness status as ready. Is that not the case? Or was this what you had done?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tinman831 Click here to enlarge
    I thought that Evolve was able to disable the O2 sensors for track cars while keeping the readiness status as ready. Is that not the case? Or was this what you had done?
    They do not disable them or it would never go ready. I do not know exactly what they do and I'm sure they likely do not want to discuss publicly : )

Basically all of the readiness tests still need to run, but you will be able to pass with no cats. There is no way to force readiness without going through the drive cycle. There is no reason to really either - more work for them, and the result is the same.

The stock ECU runs a bunch of tests involving recording what is going on with fuel and the primary o2 and comparing values from the secondary o2 as things change. Based on all that it can tell if the cat and rear sensor are working properly. The evolve tune makes this process friendly to HFCs or (I believe) no cats at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They do not disable them or it would never go ready. I do not know exactly what they do and I'm sure they likely do not want to discuss publicly : )

Basically all of the readiness tests still need to run, but you will be able to pass with no cats. There is no way to force readiness without going through the drive cycle. There is no reason to really either - more work for them, and the result is the same.

The stock ECU runs a bunch of tests involving recording what is going on with fuel and the primary o2 and comparing values from the secondary o2 as things change. Based on all that it can tell if the cat and rear sensor are working properly. The evolve tune makes this process friendly to HFCs or (I believe) no cats at all.
    Here's a quote from Evolve on another website:

"Though our 'Stage 2' tune has been available for several years with a large proportion of our customers running this, we have recently revisited the tune at our customers request to have a very specific feature - to remove the dashboard CEL whilst ALSO retaining the 02 sensor 'readiness'."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tinman831 Click here to enlarge
    Here's a quote from Evolve on another website:

"Though our 'Stage 2' tune has been available for several years with a large proportion of our customers running this, we have recently revisited the tune at our customers request to have a very specific feature - to remove the dashboard CEL whilst ALSO retaining the 02 sensor 'readiness'."
    That is a simplified version of what I just said : ) Again, I do not know what they did exactly, but you still have to run through the readiness tests. The CELs are the direct response to the readiness test failing...

Prior to them releasing this software, tuners would ask if you wanted specific CELs turned off since you were catless. However, these tunes did not pass readiness, they just kept the CEL off the dash for those specific CELs....or if you were a powerchip customer (super early), they just turned off the CEL light altogether - LOL! Then you didn't know if *anything* was wrong with your car at all. Yah, they aren't selling M3 tunes anymore.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for posting! Always nice to see we are still serving customers well well after their initial purchase.

Sal is partial to coffee and I drink lots of water. Very cheap dates! :-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for posting! Always nice to see we are still serving customers well well after their initial purchase.

Sal is partial to coffee and I drink lots of water. Very cheap dates! :-)
    Haha! Man, you guys are all...adult.

Me too these days.

Espresso for me.

One day I hope man! I'll add in dinner...gotta eat! Thanks again.