Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's up to the individual to decide. How scared some people are of voiding their warranty cracks me up. We have guys asking about filters and exhausts. If you are scared to change an air filter clearly modifying a car isn't for you.
    This. All day long. I read on m3peepeepost one dude saying that the GTS DCT tune is better than the BPM DCT tune because it won't affect warranty. LOL!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by litxus Click here to enlarge
    Tunes were swapped since beginning, as you would get a tune somewhere, then if you go to a different place most shops can simply copy your tune (and how would you know they did that?). I didn't experience that as I wasn't in that area, but spoke with an owner of a "tuner" shop. It's just a way of life, kind of like napster and not much can be done, as it will get out there, but tweaks "tuning" for max power will be left to pros. But still I do not see the point of having a fixed priced tune for a long time, as it is a depreciating asset, as platforms evolve there will be no need for old tunes, yet at $$$.

As for BB flash I look forward to trying that soon. As I understand I can load OFT or even Cobb maps with that?
    Yes, I agree that Mike Benvo stole a lot of tunes including, but not limited to:

Evolve
    ESS
    ESS SC
    Powerchip <-LOL!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The closest thing to a free tune is the bimmerboost flash and tuners don't want anything to do with it as if a base tune is created it will kill their business. Catch-22.

The BB flash can theoretically support every BMW from the E36 on up.
    Ok, I admit ignorance and excitement in reading this. Will search...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    Yes, I agree that Mike Benvo stole a lot of tunes including, but not limited to:

Evolve
    ESS
    ESS SC
    Powerchip <-LOL!
    What about just reselling BMW software from overseas at a premium? No reason somebody can't just steal things and re-sell them while undercutting...

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok, I admit ignorance and excitement in reading this. Will search...
    I'll see if I can make it happen in the next few months. I'm kind over overwhelmed right now. This stuff is getting harder and harder.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What about just reselling BMW software from overseas at a premium? No reason somebody can't just steal things and re-sell them while undercutting...
    Yup. Or selling OE coding as something special? Or selling a "Japanese" 240E with specialness. LOL.

The thing that is screwed up is that everyone can get access to the code. The code does not come with calibrations. So if you steal the calibrations, you are stealing hundreds of hours of someone else's work.

...or what about all these new "tuning shops" that suddenly can "tune" M3s. No you can't. Just be honest with the customer and tell them you are reselling a tune or someone else is doing it. I hate the desire in the modern-bmw-scene to deceive the customer because people think they need to be an expert at everything, or the value they add is not enough without this front. It's nonsense.

I think it all starts at the top and trickles down from there. What I've seen of Ruben online is not good, and he is the source, so it all rolls downhill.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    After further thought, I'm going to start offering my own tunes : ))))))

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't see any reason why the community can't start changing this. What if we started adding this '240E' software to the database?

The problem though is that then BMW might come after me but why aren't they going after people like Benvo?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Buyer Beware... If you're into modding cars, you shouldn't be afraid (in fact you should be informed) what changes are being made to the car, specifically software changes that are being made to the tune, even if it's as basic as changes to the AFR/Lambda Target, Ignition Advance, Fueling, etc etc
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't see any reason why the community can't start changing this. What if we started adding this '240E' software to the database?

The problem though is that then BMW might come after me but why aren't they going after people like Benvo?
    I've always wondered why they don't try to get some of these guys. I think if you post it transparently for global collaboration, they are going to come after you.

I'm REALLY surprised at the OE software that floats around from BMW - INPA, NCS, etc.... I would think they would want to crack down hard on this since it defeats a lot of their bundling of options, etc. I'd love to know what the internal BMW thoughts/emails/actions are on all of this - if not for this generation of cars, then for the next.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Buyer Beware... If you're into modding cars, you shouldn't be afraid (in fact you should be informed) what changes are being made to the car, specifically software changes that are being made to the tune, even if it's as basic as changes to the AFR/Lambda Target, Ignition Advance, Fueling, etc etc
    More great info! ...and you'd be surprised how few "tuners" will even share that with you. A lot of them don't even know - LOL!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've always wondered why they don't try to get some of these guys. I think if you post it transparently for global collaboration, they are going to come after you.

I'm REALLY surprised at the OE software that floats around from BMW - INPA, NCS, etc.... I would think they would want to crack down hard on this since it defeats a lot of their bundling of options, etc. I'd love to know what the internal BMW thoughts/emails/actions are on all of this - if not for this generation of cars, then for the next.
    It's hard for them to prove without getting their hands on the software and catching them 'red handed' so to speak. If you offer it somewhere for people to download you open yourself up as a target as they can just download it and take a look themselves. I think that's the difference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    More great info! ...and you'd be surprised how few "tuners" will even share that with you. A lot of them don't even know - LOL!
    If you're gonna pay for a product or service, you have every right to ask any & every question you want. Presuming there's nothing to hide, it's not like you're asking for exact values changed so you could rip their tune off in your garage.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think most of cracking / code breaking is coming from China and since copyright laws are kind of lax, copying is the name of the game. I used to be in the auto repair business somewhat and diagnostic software that would cost you tens of thousands would be sold for few hundred or maybe slightly more. Initially, most of the "software" sucked and had loads of glitches, but from last I checked some actually worked. It has been a while so not sure where things are now with that, but at the rate they are copying and cracking stuff, maybe they will start producing some good things soon (of course it will be a good copyClick here to enlarge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'll see if I can make it happen in the next few months. I'm kind over overwhelmed right now. This stuff is getting harder and harder.
    Let's make it happen. BB flash E36 on up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Let's make it happen. BB flash E36 on up.
    Just $ and time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Funny how many complain that Dinan charges too much but cannot name another company that will step in and replace BMW for the initial warranty period.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nobody complains that dinan charges too much. its really just 2 different markets, one market is interested in raw numbers and dont give a $#@! about warranty or trying to make the car last forever. the other is more interested in mild to moderate performance with high quality parts that will make the car last a long time. the problem is morons who are in the latter and try to compare their $#@! to customers in the former online and we get forum wars. pointless debates. apples and oranges.
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    nobody complains that dinan charges too much. its really just 2 different markets, one market is interested in raw numbers and dont give a $#@! about warranty or trying to make the car last forever. the other is more interested in mild to moderate performance with high quality parts that will make the car last a long time. the problem is morons who are in the latter and try to compare their $#@! to customers in the former online and we get forum wars. pointless debates. apples and oranges.
    Concur.

You can't compare Dinan - who has engineers sitting in cubicles for 8-10hours, works with race teams, track and road tests their products, to a shop that loads a canned flashtune from Europe. Dinan is innovating, creating, and TESTING, the others are just re-sellers. They both have a place, but they serve different functions and there is not 100% overlap in their customers. Then of course there is the 50m lb elephant in the room - Dinan will support its customers should something go wrong, many of the others cannot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Concur.

You can't compare Dinan - who has engineers sitting in cubicles for 8-10hours, works with race teams, track and road tests their products, to a shop that loads a canned flashtune from Europe. Dinan is innovating, creating, and TESTING, the others are just re-sellers. They both have a place, but they serve different functions and there is not 100% overlap in their customers. Then of course there is the 50m lb elephant in the room - Dinan will support its customers should something go wrong, many of the others cannot.
    Agreed but Dinan only innovates to a degree. No superchargers for M's this time around, no turbos, nothing really special. The stuff is basic and safe.

That said, it's good stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Agreed but Dinan only innovates to a degree. No superchargers for M's this time around, no turbos, nothing really special. The stuff is basic and safe.

I agree, previously DINAN was pretty much the only game in town, so with no competition it could charge any amount. I do not think it is apples to oranges, is DINAN so superior to any other tune? Now, there is a lot more competition and I really do not understand why would you pay 100-400% more for a tune, is it really 4x better?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh yeah, Sticky (Joe?), when you visit Dinan please take lots of pictures and ask lots of questions?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh yeah, Sticky (Joe?), when you visit Dinan please take lots of pictures and ask lots of questions?
    Nah I was just planning on going there and stealing his pens.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Agreed. I honestly like that though. Find what you are good at and focus there - be the best at a few things. It applies at all levels and types of business really. If you go too wide, you risk being average at everything and fading into black.

As I've mentioned previously, some these other "tuners" that want to pretend they can do it all are not only full of it, but they are misleading their customers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nah I was just planning on going there and stealing his pens.
    $#@!ing genius..i can only imagine how much a DINAN pen would go for. i mean we're talking high quality supercomputer ink that has been put through uncountable amounts of testing as well as a reinforced ballpoint tip. not as dark as those ultra level turbo charged pens but guaranteed high quality and it comes with a warranty
    '08 535xi - fbo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast