Close

Thread: Article: TTFS (Tuning Tech FS) BMW E46 M3 S54 custom tuning before and after results on a Dynocom dynamometer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

TTFS | Custom Tuning Before & After

In case anyone is wondering our brand new heart break dyno reads about 10-12% lower than a dynojet. Here is a E46 M3 with headers and exhaust showing the before and after delta gains.

Vehicle: BMW E46 M3 SMG

MODS: Headers, Exhaust, and TTFS Custom tune.

Click here to enlarge

Here is another forum member who was tuned remotely earlier this year and decided to drive down from PA to check on his vanos bolts etc. So we figured why not dyno/review the tune.

Mods: Euro headers, section 1, K&N drop in filter and TTFS Custom tune.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1729 Post(s)

Great results guys.

What does this cost?
    Like BoostAddict on FaceBook, get +20 rep and tacos*: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...-FaceBook-page

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I had over 35 dyno runs with "custom dyno tunes" saved over the years. Best run ever was 309/239 with 91 pump gas before I switched to Frank's tune.

First dyno with Frank my car hit - 322, 317, 319 whp and 240, 244, 243 wtq. From 3000 to 6000 an increase of 10+ wtq. Same hardware. Same $#@!ty fuel.

When we are done pushing the stock head I will post a long detailed review.

Frank is legit.
    Last edited by MisterEm; 04-08-2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: fat thumbed it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1729 Post(s)

TTFS (Tuning Tech FS) BMW E46 M3 S54 custom tuning before and after results on a Dynocom dynamometer

Dynocom has been around for a while although BimmerBoost has not seen too many graphs using BMW's from this particular dynamometer. Tuning Tech FS (Frank Smith) happens to own an AWD Linked 5000 Series Dynocom dyno and it is interesting to see their E46 M3 S54 custom tuning results and also to compare these results to the other popular dynos out there. The most popular of which is obviously the peak number friendly Dynojet and the (usually) more conservative Mustang.

Click here to enlarge

The important thing to note is that all dynamometers are not equal. Use them as a tool and to see the difference after a solid baseline on the same machine. Changing machines and expecting to have useful data, namely the delta or difference, after tuning or changing parts is an exercise in futility.

Here are the results in the words of TTFS:

In case anyone is wondering our brand new heart break dyno reads about 10-12% lower than a dynojet. Here is a E46 M3 with headers and exhaust showing the before and after delta gains.

Vehicle: BMW E46 M3 SMG

MODS: Headers, Exhaust, and TTFS Custom tune.

Baseline: 278.8 wheel horsepower

After the TTFS dyno tune: 305.4 wheel horsepower

Click here to enlarge

Here is another forum member who was tuned remotely earlier this year and decided to drive down from PA to check on his vanos bolts etc. So we figured why not dyno/review the tune.

Mods: Euro headers, section 1, K&N drop in filter and TTFS Custom tune.

Click here to enlarge
    Like BoostAddict on FaceBook, get +20 rep and tacos*: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...-FaceBook-page

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1729 Post(s)

I'm wondering why is the 2nd M3 putting out less power than the 1st M3? Both have headers, an exhaust, and a tune, right? Is it due to the OEM Euro headers?

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

its like ~2% which is insignificant.

there isnt much chance that a stock capacity S54 will make 280wtq with those mods so i call BS on the 10-12% lower than DJ. the before and after gains are apparent but i dont get why people always make such claims about fudge factors between different dynos to inflate their numbers there arent any golden rules for any of this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1729 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by digger Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    its like ~2% which is insignificant.

there isnt much chance that a stock capacity S54 will make 280wtq with those mods so i call BS on the 10-12% lower than DJ. the before and after gains are apparent but i dont get why people always make such claims about fudge factors between different dynos to inflate their numbers there arent any golden rules for any of this.
    I think the difference is significant considering the mods.

Regardless, IMO it doesn't read seem to read too low but what's important is the delta of course.

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

That difference is well within the precision of either dyno. No need to fret

Poor air or DA due to weather, or a tank of mediocre gas could be all the difference in either run.

Frank's tune makes great top-end power like all of the other tunes out there - but the beauty in the calibration is the torque punch from 3k to 6k that other tunes lacked - and this car truly needs. Ignition targets appear lower and AFRs look great at the dyno and on the wideband.

Can't wait to see what Mr. Smith can do for the '11 X5diesel!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    That difference is well within the precision of either dyno. No need to fret

Poor air or DA due to weather, or a tank of mediocre gas could be all the difference in either run.

Frank's tune makes great top-end power like all of the other tunes out there - but the beauty in the calibration is the torque punch from 3k to 6k that other tunes lacked - and this car truly needs. Ignition targets appear lower and AFRs look great at the dyno and on the wideband.

Can't wait to see what Mr. Smith can do for the '11 X5diesel!
    absolutely it is natural variation, chassis dynos are just not that repeatable plus statistically each engine is different. different wheels and even different brand tires of the same size can account for that (stiff sidewall vs soft). if possible i try to do my testing without taking the car off the dyno especially if the changes is going to be relatively small but sometimes it is not practical or possible

as always it is good to see people posting results

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Thank you for posting this on the front page Sir. Many factors may alter the dyno output. Our goal here was to show the delta gains.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1729 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TTFS Click here to enlarge
    Our goal here was to show the delta gains.
    Exactly as it should be.

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Here is another e46 M3 we had at the shop. This beast has some very unique mods you don't see everyday.

Modifications: Active level 1 HKS GTS8550 Supercharger, 288/280 cams, SuperSprint Stepped headers, exhaust, Valves, Valve spring and retainers.

Before and After tune.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Great work as always, the tunes are legit. I have seen them backed up on multiple dyno's and the deltas don't lie.