Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPM Malfunction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

TPM Malfunction

I recently mounted some wheels along with TPM's on my 335 and all was well. Monitors were new out of the box when installed and worked great for about a week or so.
    After the car sat for about three weeks I now get a "TPM Malfuction" warning on my IDrive and dash board. No matter how many times I try to reset the monitors the fault persists.

Has as anyone had this problem before and how was it fixed?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

approved
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    approved
    Not sure what you mean by that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

bump

for some1 to help u
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    bump

for some1 to help u
    Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

My guess would be faulty tpms in one of the tires... Does it tell you which one or something?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Major tire shop like discount or Big O should be able to use their handheld device to make sure all the monitors are transmitting a signal. Sometimes the signal gets jammed up an they can reset it with the device. Only other thing is one is just faulty. I had a brand new one end up being faulty in the past.
    E92 N54 3368lbs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    My guess would be faulty tpms in one of the tires... Does it tell you which one or something?
    Yes, when I get a flat or low air pressure it tells me which one.
    Right now it does not tell me anything since it won't set/recognize the TPM's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Thanks! I'll give one of these shops a try.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I also have been having the issue...No luck on repair even had 4 shops scan the sensors and ecentually also replaced the RDC board...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951568
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    I also have been having the issue...No luck on repair even had 4 shops scan the sensors and ecentually also replaced the RDC board...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951568
    Thanks for the reply..

Have your sensors ever function properly? If you clear the code with the BT it immediately comes back?
    The thing that throws me off is that these damn things were working just fine, then the car sits for a week and they start acting up..
    I'll have to get a hold of a BT cable and see what code is present.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Unfortunately mine have never functioned properly since I bought the car used...With that said it might not be the exact issue you have..Comes right back when cleared with BT cable for me too...Let me know if you figure it out or what codes you get when scanned by a BT cable...My codes are listed from BT on the link so let me know if they are the same
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Oh and my sensors have scanned in all fine and working so it doesn't seem that's the issue either...one was dead but I replaced the sensor and after that still no dice...not even after the RDC board replacement

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Oh and my sensors have scanned in all fine and working so it doesn't seem that's the issue either...one was dead but I replaced the sensor and after that still no dice...not even after the RDC board replacement
    Damn. Must be frustrating as hell!

I guess I'm going to slap my stock tires back on and see if the fault persists. I'm hoping that fixes things and all I have to do is get new sensor(s) again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Even tho they scan as functioning the signal may be too weak. You can find out which tire is not showing active with a BT somehow because my BMW Indy was able to tell me specifically what tire my problem sensor was in. It was working fine but for one reason or another kept showing as inactive. I replaced it with a new one and it resolved it. Find out which tire the problem is coming from and have the tire co that mounted them replace it.
    E92 N54 3368lbs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge
    Even tho they scan as functioning the signal may be too weak. You can find out which tire is not showing active with a BT somehow because my BMW Indy was able to tell me specifically what tire my problem sensor was in. It was working fine but for one reason or another kept showing as inactive. I replaced it with a new one and it resolved it. Find out which tire the problem is coming from and have the tire co that mounted them replace it.
    I installed the sensors my self, torqued to spec and all. All the tire shop did was mount the tires on the wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the info @R.G.

I will look into this...I think you might be onto something...I'm going to have them scanned by an Indy and see what they say...Trying to avoid dealer as much as possible...Already put in $200-300 into this issue and dont feel like spending $180+cost of parts on a diagnostic when I'm sure it can figure this out with all the tools I have...Just going to be patient

P.S. I also found another member on e90 with the exact same issues as me...He was banned but I found the guy he sold a Cobb AP v2 to a while back and ended up asking for the sellers email...After talking with him about the issue he also never found a solution and just learned to ignore it...
    He also attempted replacing RDC board and it didnt fix his issues...His sensors all scanned fine as well...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

No problem,

Make sure the sensors are the right one for your model year 2010+ are different.

Make sure no other sensor in the car ie: a spare in the trunk

Hook up to BT and check code
    6054 Front left
    6055 Front right
    6056 Rear left
    6057 Right rear

My rim shop kept insisting the monitor was fine and working 100%. Indy scanned it, told me it was the rear right, had rim shop replace it anyway and it finally reset. As far as learning to live with it, $#@! that, I'd code them out completely before I did that. They've come in handy a few times but that would be last resort.
    E92 N54 3368lbs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Had my sensors tested this afternoon at a local tire shop, sensors are showing to be active. They adjusted tire pressure and told me to drive for a few minutes but the malfuction persists.
    @rooringhusky where is this RDC thing located on these cars?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    Had my sensors tested this afternoon at a local tire shop, sensors are showing to be active. They adjusted tire pressure and told me to drive for a few minutes but the malfuction persists.
    @rooringhusky where is this RDC thing located on these cars?
    RDC is located on the rear passenger side of the trunk...Its above the battery and you have to peel back the grey carpetlike liner..I'm on my phone but I'll try to get you a pic soon as I can

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Thanks!Tried to rep you but haven't spread enough to rep you again. I owe you a rep.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks! I'll give one of these shops a try.
    Modbargains can help you with any TPMS issues @ModBargains.com

They have the sensors not that it seems you need them but experience in setting them up.

Moving this to wheel and tires.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

1721 E. Lambert Rd. Unit C, La Habra, CA, 90631
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

What brand of TPMS? Some aftermarket TPMS sensors require you to deflate all 4 tires, wait 30 minutes, re-inflate and then reset.

Other than that, it could mean one of your TPMS sensors are broken.

If all else fails, go to the dealer and have them code it out.
    Click here to enlarge
    Sean Singh | Sean@modbargains.com | (714) 582-3330 x 8009
    We Specialize In: BMW Parts In Stock | BMW Wheels Experts | BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | VMR Wheels Experts | Cobb AccessPORT N54 In Stock | Avant Garde Wheels In Stock | BMW Headlights Fast Shipping | BMW Exhaust
    Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am-6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
    Check out our BLOG for the latest updates and discounts!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ModBargains.com Click here to enlarge
    What brand of TPMS? Some aftermarket TPMS sensors require you to deflate all 4 tires, wait 30 minutes, re-inflate and then reset.

Other than that, it could mean one of your TPMS sensors are broken.

If all else fails, go to the dealer and have them code it out.
    @ModBargains.com In my situation, all the sensors are the original OEM....When a TPMS sensor is "broken" would it show on the scanners? If you guys have a TPMS scanner and are willing to help me diagnose this issue let me know...I will be happy to pay for a new sensor if that will fix my issue...I'd rather fix the issue than code it out since I have already spent ~$250 on this issue with no success...

@alpinedevil335 Did you get your issue fixed? Just wondering...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast