Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Car spits gas back out

Ok...

Doesnt matter how much fuel is left in the tank, i go to fill up and i get about 1-2 gallons then it clicks off.. I then get about 1/2 gallon or less then clicks off, then i go super slow and gas is backing up out of the filler neck so i wait till it drains back in then go 1/10 of a gallon or so at a time until its full.

Its a major pain in the ass as it takes a long time to fill up

Ok listen up its not the pump ok. its not the gas station lol.. I drove to from south florida to New york and back and this happened at every gas station and every pump EVERY time i stopped for gas.. It was so bad i stopped every 100-150 miles for fuel so i wouldnt have to stand there for 30 min each time.. still took 5-10 min average to pump 4-6 gallons. BTW i tried everything from putting nozzle all the way in to just barely in and every angle including upside down, didnt matter

Thoughts...
    I thought ok its a vent issue? Vent line clogged? so i took back seat out and up clipped both hoses from top of tank so it was definitely vented. Nope no dice same thing fuel backing back up and out of filler neck. So i cant see it being a vent issue..

My other thought was MAYBE since i have an inline 255 its creating heat in there and excessive vapor causing vapor lock? Well that is pretty much ruled out since i unclipped the hoses from top of tank and still have the fuel backing up

My last thought is that maybe with the extra length of hose with the 255 inline intank that it has moved and settled in the tank directly under where the fuel is fed into the tank from the filler neck causing a partial obstruction? Would be $#@!ty luck but seems like a legit possibility?

Does anyone know where exactly the fuel is fed into the tank?

Any one else have this issue?
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Been searching the web and all forums for over a week and no answer..

Some have said they left car idling while fueling up and that takes care of issue. I have not tried that yet, im in alaska at work so cant try that till next week.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The filler leads to the rear top of the passenger side so it might be worth taking the back seat out and taking the access panel off that side and fill up and watch how fast it's coming in and if it's properly flowing over to the drivers side. My guess is it's not making it over to the drivers side properly causing it to back up on the passenger side when your filling up. If that's the case idling should force the fuel pump to move the fuel around between the two sides right?
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    The filler leads to the rear top of the passenger side so it might be worth taking the back seat out and taking the access panel off that side and fill up and watch how fast it's coming in and if it's properly flowing over to the drivers side. My guess is it's not making it over to the drivers side properly causing it to back up on the passenger side when your filling up. If that's the case idling should force the fuel pump to move the fuel around between the two sides right?
    ah and possibly the inline pump and excess hose may be sitting in the area where it passes from passenger side to driver side instigating the issue?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Its saying, *COUGH COUGH* NEED....E85...*COUGH*
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Its saying, *COUGH COUGH* NEED....E85...*COUGH*
    im gonna be playing with full e85 again when i get home Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Carbon canister clogged, lines to canister clogged, canister purge valve/solenoid malfunction, anti-syphon valve issue (if it has one)... just ideas on where to check.

Edit- see you checked the vent. Not sure, only so many places the issue can be though, maybe the little flapper fell off and into the filler neck? Or someone put rocks in the filler neck?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Carbon canister clogged, lines to canister clogged, canister purge valve/solenoid malfunction, anti-syphon valve issue (if it has one)... just ideas on where to check.

Edit- see you checked the vent. Not sure, only so many places the issue can be though, maybe the little flapper fell off and into the filler neck? Or someone put rocks in the filler neck?
    just talked to the gf, she is gonna start car up and let it warm up then go to gas station. Im gonna have her try to fill it (i think its around 1/2 tank now) with the car idling. If that works then i think it is the extra hose and pump partially obstructing the flow between the passenger and driver side of the tank.. Will update soon

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The only time I've ever experienced this kind of problem was when my tank vent was clogged. If air can't escape through the vent it slows the gas from entering while burping air through the fill hole.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF Click here to enlarge
    The only time I've ever experienced this kind of problem was when my tank vent was clogged. If air can't escape through the vent it slows the gas from entering while burping air through the fill hole.
    right i agree and it makes total sense except..

i popped hoses off passenger side bucket lid venting the tank and still had same issue..

but im no doctor so idk..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    well she took the car to gas station and tried to fill it up with the car idling. same thing happened.
    when i get home im gonna have to get in the tank and make sure the extra hose and pump isnt blocking the filling point or the crossover area..

if thats not it, then i guess dealer idk..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    if its nothing to do with the inline pump and extra hose potentially blocking some flow it comes down to the charcoal canistor or breather valve

Im hearing the breather valve is under the hood on the driver side down below the intake manifold? Can any one confirm...?

What i dont get is... If thats the problem, then i should have no problem filling it when i manually vent the tank by opening up the top of the bucket on the passenger side allowing it to vent...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Well, if the fuel is backing up in the filler, there's only so many things it can be. Either the tank is not venting properly (maybe the vent is plugged inside the tank, maybe test with compressed air into the tank filler and make sure it's venting or something), or the fuel is backing up prematurely because of a blockage somewhere.

Here's the realoem diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...19&hg=16&fg=10

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Well, if the fuel is backing up in the filler, there's only so many things it can be. Either the tank is not venting properly (maybe the vent is plugged inside the tank, maybe test with compressed air into the tank filler and make sure it's venting or something), or the fuel is backing up prematurely because of a blockage somewhere.

Here's the realoem diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...19&hg=16&fg=10
    repped thanks for the diagram..
    so i unplugged 10 (14) from the tank and it still did it. so im assuming this rules out the breather vent and charcoal canistor..

i suppose i have an obstruction where the filler neck goes into the tank.. that is feasible as with the extra length of hose and 255 inline it could be sitting right about down in that region causing a slight back up as i try to fill...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @BoostAddict

thoughts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This may sound weird, but i had this issue before and found that if I didn't place the nozzle completely down (instead maybe about 1/2 to 3/4) it would work without an issue. Might be worth trying.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aced16 Click here to enlarge
    This may sound weird, but i had this issue before and found that if I didn't place the nozzle completely down (instead maybe about 1/2 to 3/4) it would work without an issue. Might be worth trying.
    yeah i know, i tried every thing from nozzle depth and position to gas stations from florida to new york and back. This started happening occasionally after i put the 255 inline in and became more and more frequent to the point where its everytime now.

Upon closer inspection of the drawings and pics of our tanks and piping/tubing im confident that since i used an excessive amount of hose with the 255 inline that it has settled into the area that the filler neck connects to the tank causing a partial obstruction causing fuel to back up into the neck if fueled under normal speed.

It isnt the vent(s) or charcoal canister as i bypassed all of that and had the same results.. when i get home ill move stuff in the tank around to verify

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Have you tried flipping the nozzle completely upside down? No matter where I fill up I need to completely flip the unit upside down to prevent it from clicking off after 2 seconds.
    jb4+fbo+meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    Have you tried flipping the nozzle completely upside down? No matter where I fill up I need to completely flip the unit upside down to prevent it from clicking off after 2 seconds.
    Yea tried that too doesn't help

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm stabbing at fumes here (lol) but maybe try to blow out the vent system with a compressor... maybe there's some fluid stuck in the vent that normal filling isn't clearing. Used to prime really old diesel trucks and carb cars with a rag and an air hose in the filler neck to help build pressure before the pump (which, back in the day, was far from the tank on the engine). A side effect was usually purging the vent... not sure if the vent solenoid will prevent this but if you disconnect it, maybe it'll clear something for you. Although a restriction from excess line kinda makes more sense. Personally, after trying all this I'd start disassembling until I find something odd, but again, it's been a while and I'm no bmw trained mechanic lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    That would drive me insane as time crunched as I already am lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Just wondering ak335i, what company do you work for at the slope?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by darkboostedsol Click here to enlarge
    Just wondering ak335i, what company do you work for at the slope?
    ch2mhill, pigging

here is an example of a temporary pig receiver we bolted up. we do stuff like this all over the field.. fun stuff

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

The original 255 I put in was tight from the factory and froze up, leading me down the FFTEC pump trail...anyways, the first time it totally locked up, the car WOULD NOT take more than 12 gallons. I have no idea why, and to this day have not been able to determine why. It filled to 12, but the second you tried pumping more it would puke it up. I swapped to the FFTEC pump and that problem went away, never to return. It only happened once so I can't prove it's causal, maybe my car was just a gooby to me that day IDK.

Good luck dude this sounds like a PITA.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm pretty sure the extra pump or line is obstructing the filler hose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast