Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Question on Single Turbo Tuning

Alright, so I think some other guys running or soon running single turbos probably have some of the same questions, or maybe not and I'm just a n00b on their own but....

I'm trying to figure out what I should be looking for when first getting the car up and running as far as tuning.

I will be using the JB4 in conjunction with BB Flash.

I'm not real clear on what the purpose of the backend flash is. From my understanding it is where you set your AFR, timing, fuel trims, eliminates speed limiter, and not sure what else.

Well, when I posed this question to Terry asking which controls which his response was, "the JB4 controls everything" so that makes me wonder why there is a backend at all, but obviously for a reason.

So during tuning, what should I be adjusting and in which tuner should I be using the adjustment for timing, AFR, boost control, trims, etc... My first thought is whatever is available in the easy access menu of the JB4 to start there, and whatever isn't available would be done on the flash end. Is this the correct way of thinking?

Trying to familiarize myself best as possible so that when the car is done and ready I can hopefully have a decent tune done in a single day session on the dyno/street.

Thanks!

Matt
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    u need jb4 single turbo firmware, works with mac boost solenoid part number 35A-AAA-DDBA-1BA
    and the BB flash, that's it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    u need jb4 single turbo firmware, works with mac boost solenoid part number 35A-AAA-DDBA-1BA
    and the BB flash, that's it
    Yeah...I'm asking a bit more than that. I have the MAC solenoid and firmware, I'm not talking about just getting up and running, but making adjustments to the tune. You can't just load OTS tunes and expect it to work perfect at full power.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    My car will be started up tomorrow and I'll have logs. So I'll see for myself how it runs etc.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Obviously I’m not single turbo…but from a tuning standpoint the use of a “backend” flash shouldn’t change, I wouldn’t think. A piggyback cannot proactively advance timing, cannot control VANOS, and does a crap job with fueling. IMO.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    My car will be started up tomorrow and I'll have logs. So I'll see for myself how it runs etc.
    Nice that was fast...Best of luck tomorrow Click here to enlarge
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    Nice that was fast...Best of luck tomorrow Click here to enlarge
    Thanks brotha, I'm scared as hell.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks brotha, I'm scared as hell.
    You'll be fine...Whos doing the tuning for you btw?
    Or are you planning to start with the base flashes floating around? Cant wait to see that triple ball bearing turbo scream
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    You'll be fine...Whos doing the tuning for you btw?
    Or are you planning to start with the base flashes floating around? Cant wait to see that triple ball bearing turbo scream
    For now I'll start with the off the shelf flashes for the single right now. I'll log and send to Terry, If I can't have him tune me in person then I'll have to find someone.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Alright, so I think some other guys running or soon running single turbos probably have some of the same questions, or maybe not and I'm just a n00b on their own but....

I'm trying to figure out what I should be looking for when first getting the car up and running as far as tuning.

I will be using the JB4 in conjunction with BB Flash.

I'm not real clear on what the purpose of the backend flash is. From my understanding it is where you set your AFR, timing, fuel trims, eliminates speed limiter, and not sure what else.

Well, when I posed this question to Terry asking which controls which his response was, "the JB4 controls everything" so that makes me wonder why there is a backend at all, but obviously for a reason.

So during tuning, what should I be adjusting and in which tuner should I be using the adjustment for timing, AFR, boost control, trims, etc... My first thought is whatever is available in the easy access menu of the JB4 to start there, and whatever isn't available would be done on the flash end. Is this the correct way of thinking?

Trying to familiarize myself best as possible so that when the car is done and ready I can hopefully have a decent tune done in a single day session on the dyno/street.

Thanks!

Matt
    Honestly man and I say this with all sincerity and honestly, with a single turbo set up and zero knowledge of tuning, you shouldn't be adjusting anything, with the power levels a single can produce, getting in there and trying stuff out, is the quickest and best way to blow a motor, your best bet is to either start with a known base tune and have a tuner who has tuned plenty of singles, Terry etc, handle the rest, or just let someone tune the car from scratch. If you want to be hands on you can ask a lot of questions and once you are more familiar with everything and how it works you can try doing some stuff on your own, but doing so right out of the gate is a bad idea, learn as much as you can before you make any changes. I was right there looking at every log and driving the car when Dzenno was tuning the stage 3 car, I still do not think I would want to get in there and mess with stuff at high power levels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Toyed with a bin and logs of a pretty sick single on a ethanol mix the other night. I was shocked how similar to a normal backend it was when using the jb4 for boost control.

mj... the backend will do most of the work. But the jb4 will control boost and keep things happy in general. Start with a conservative backend and the jb4 set to low boost and you'll be fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah...I'm asking a bit more than that. I have the MAC solenoid and firmware, I'm not talking about just getting up and running, but making adjustments to the tune. You can't just load OTS tunes and expect it to work perfect at full power.
    first do the log then will see what it needs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Toyed with a bin and logs of a pretty sick single on a ethanol mix the other night. I was shocked how similar to a normal backend it was when using the jb4 for boost control.

mj... the backend will do most of the work. But the jb4 will control boost and keep things happy in general. Start with a conservative backend and the jb4 set to low boost and you'll be fine.
    basically this.
    when i picked up my car the first time i had no flash.

i was on jb4 G5 and wastegate boost. all i did was put 93 oct in and set a map 6 to whatever boost i was seeing. Car ran just fine no issues.

later i added several different backend flashes from T and played with e85 content and fuel pumps.

Now i have a great backend flash with conservative timing (10-12 deg.) and i use a hallman pro for boost control. I run map 6
    car is great and zero hassle. Actually now far less hassle than it was on stock turbos.

My meth is stand alone(boost actuated) and i dont need it, i just run it to cool IATs
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Honestly man and I say this with all sincerity and honestly, with a single turbo set up and zero knowledge of tuning, you shouldn't be adjusting anything, with the power levels a single can produce, getting in there and trying stuff out, is the quickest and best way to blow a motor, your best bet is to either start with a known base tune and have a tuner who has tuned plenty of singles, Terry etc, handle the rest, or just let someone tune the car from scratch. If you want to be hands on you can ask a lot of questions and once you are more familiar with everything and how it works you can try doing some stuff on your own, but doing so right out of the gate is a bad idea, learn as much as you can before you make any changes. I was right there looking at every log and driving the car when Dzenno was tuning the stage 3 car, I still do not think I would want to get in there and mess with stuff at high power levels.
    I appreciate your input Tony, but it's more just asking which is controlling what, that really doesn't mean a lack of tuning knowledge. I honestly wasn't too happy with Terry when he said JB4 is doing everything as I knew that was not true, otherwise why would he be working on and tweaking a backend? I'll be working with a very good tuner, and it won't be up and running for at least a few more weeks, so I'm just trying to be proactive and gather all info I can.

Making small changes to clean up a log is just fine, I'm not scared to do that at all. I'm confident in working with the shop and getting things dialed in.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Obviously I’m not single turbo…but from a tuning standpoint the use of a “backend” flash shouldn’t change, I wouldn’t think. A piggyback cannot proactively advance timing, cannot control VANOS, and does a crap job with fueling. IMO.
    Thank you, this was pretty much what I had thought, but hadn't really read too much on how the ST backend control differed too much from the stock turbo one

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    basically this.
    when i picked up my car the first time i had no flash.

i was on jb4 G5 and wastegate boost. all i did was put 93 oct in and set a map 6 to whatever boost i was seeing. Car ran just fine no issues.

later i added several different backend flashes from T and played with e85 content and fuel pumps.

Now i have a great backend flash with conservative timing (10-12 deg.) and i use a hallman pro for boost control. I run map 6
    car is great and zero hassle. Actually now far less hassle than it was on stock turbos.

My meth is stand alone(boost actuated) and i dont need it, i just run it to cool IATs

Thanks man, you know I'll be giving you a heads up when we get it fired up.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge

Awesome, exactly what the type of answer I was looking for! I didn't think they'd be too different, I don't think it will be a big deal to do some minor adjustments.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Agreed, start with the base backend flash first. I will be doing the same along with lots of logs and slight adjustments as necessary to the backend flash if needed. Starting off slow is key though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
    Agreed, start with the base backend flash first. I will be doing the same along with lots of logs and slight adjustments as necessary to the backend flash if needed. Starting off slow is key though.
    Fore sure. I think I'm going to get some race gas too just to help be on the safe side. I've been wanting to try it out anyway so may end up keeping it around all the time.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

8 out of 8 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Alright this is what you do.

First thing first, the flash needs to happen, the JB4 is now just a glorified boost controller with built in safeties, logging. Its nothing more then that so keep that in mind.

Some hardware things to make sure is correct, make sure your MAC solenoid is hooked up like this:

Click here to enlarge

Once that is correctly hooked up do this:

1. Make sure you have a backup of your current ECU somewhere so you have that for later use if needed.
    2. Hookup the BT cable to your car, and flash the base JB4-PUMP flash, don't use any other maps.. Stick with this one.
    3. Once that is flashed, start the car to make sure its good to go. With this flash it will turn off all the o2 sensors codes and etc to prevent ses lights.
    4. Once you have established that the car is running, turn it off and flash the JB4 with the single turbo hex firmware.
    5. Once the firmware has been upgraded. Connect up your jb4 and set the following settings: CPS2000 set that to 6, CPS2500 set that to 1 and make sure CPS1500 is set to 0 if you are not running meth.
    6. Next set the following, under the default wastegate postion set that to 25 if its a twin scroll or 40 if its a single scroll setup. Also set the FF to 80 as a starting point. Now for the Boost Saftey set it to about 3 psi higher then your wastegate spring for now.. Just incase you over boost you have that safety to prevent it. So for example if you have a 12psi spring in there, set it to 15psi.
    7. Once you have set those settings, hit save and start up the car.
    8. If you have a 2STEP/NLS relay, i would highly suggest disabling that.. I ran into issues with mine so I just turned it off for now.
    9. Set the JB4 to map4 which is just wastegate spring and cruise around, do some minor pulls in lower gears to make sure there is no hiccups.
    10. If you pass that, go on the highway or whatever and start logging, and do some solid 3rd gear pulls starting at 40mph, rev it all the way out.. Only do 3rd gear to start.
    11. Once you have pulled over. Look at your logs and see how you stand.
    12. Once you have established you are good to go on wastegate switch to map 1 and repeat the process of logging.

Now here are some things you need to look out for from my personal experience. Depending on the turbo at about 16 psi I would get timing drops on just 93 octane. So monitor your timing to see if you get any timing drops.

Also keep a close eye on your AFR's, fuel trims, HPFP pressure, LPFP pressure. These are the things you need to learn and what you will moditify with TunerPro.

Try that to start, and post up your logs. I will take a personal look and share my experience that I have learned so far. But please note that I am no tuner, or a pro at this.. Just sharing what I have already been trough and try to save you the headaches that I have had.

Also, you can forget any support from Terry regarding single turbos, just pay attention to the single turbo thread and post up any questions on there, he will get to them when he can. You are on your own now.
    Last edited by aflatau; 04-04-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aflatau Click here to enlarge

First thing first, the flash needs to happen, the JB4 is now just a glorified boost controller with built in safeties, logging. Its nothing more then that so keep that in mind.

Some hardware things to make sure is correct, make sure your MAC solenoid is hooked up like this:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/attach...1&d=1385615302

1. Make sure you have a backup of your current ECU somewhere so you have that for later use if needed.
    2. Hookup the BT cable to your car, and flash the base JB4-PUMP flash, don't use any other maps.. Stick with this one.
    3. Once that is flashed, start the car to make sure its good to go. With this flash it will turn off all the o2 sensors and etc to prevent ses lights.
    4. Once you have established that the car is running, turn it off and flash the JB4 with the single turbo hex firmware.
    5. Once the firmware has been upgraded. Connect up your jb4 and set the following settings: CPS2000 set that to 6, CPS2500 set that to 1 and make sure CPS1500 is set to 0 if you are not running meth.
    6. Next set the following, under the default wastegate postion set that to 25 if its a twin scroll or 40 if its a single scroll setup. Also set the FF to 80 as a starting point. Now for the Boost Saftey set it to about 3 psi higher then your wastegate spring for now.. Just incase you over boost you have that safety to prevent it. So for example if you have a 12psi spring in there, set it to 15psi.
    8. If you have a 2STEP/NLS relay, i would highly suggest disabling that.. I ran into issues with mine so I just turned it off for now.
    9. Set the JB4 to map4 which is just wastegate spring and cruise around, do some minor pulls in lower gears to make sure there is no hiccups.
    10. If you pass that, go on the highway or whatever and start logging, and do some solid 3rd gear pulls starting at 40mph, rev it all the way out.. Only do 3rd gear to start.
    12. Once you have established you are good to go on wastegate switch to map 1 and repeat the process of logging.

Now here are some things you need to look out for from my personal experience. Depending on the turbo at about 16 psi I would get timing drops on just 93 octane. So monitor your timing to see if you get any timing drops.

Also keep a close eye on your AFR's, fuel trims, HPFP pressure, LPFP pressure. These are the things you need to learn and what you will moditify with TunerPro.

Try that to start, and post up your logs. I will take a personal look and share my experience that I have learned so far. But please note that I am no tuner, or a pro at this.. Just sharing what I have already been trough and try to save you the headaches that I have had.

Also, you can forget any support from Terry regarding single turbos, just pay attention to the single turbo thread and post up any questions on there, he will get to them when he can. You are on your own now.
    repped

monica

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I appreciate your input Tony, but it's more just asking which is controlling what, that really doesn't mean a lack of tuning knowledge. I honestly wasn't too happy with Terry when he said JB4 is doing everything as I knew that was not true, otherwise why would he be working on and tweaking a backend? I'll be working with a very good tuner, and it won't be up and running for at least a few more weeks, so I'm just trying to be proactive and gather all info I can.

Making small changes to clean up a log is just fine, I'm not scared to do that at all. I'm confident in working with the shop and getting things dialed in.

Thank you, this was pretty much what I had thought, but hadn't really read too much on how the ST backend control differed too much from the stock turbo one

Thanks man, you know I'll be giving you a heads up when we get it fired up.

You're original post states you are not sure what the backend flash is doing... I was very surprised to see that as I am sure Tony was too.. you should really have a firm understanding of what does what and know at least the basics of your car's tuning system.

I think it is the way you worded it that makes it seem like you really didn't have an understanding on the situation. But you followed up with briefly hitting a majority of the bigger functions it controls...

But i agree with Tony 100% , if you are a amateur tuner or a motivated newbie trying to learn , I wouldnt be doing anything but running waste-gate boost and very little timing and get someone to tune your car and just take it all in.

It sucks that the flat line issue is such a big deal with AT bc the knowledge of how to eliminate the loss of massive hp post shift leaves many people with knowledge of tuning with a lot left to learn about our n54... Im pretty sure T is in the $#@!tiest position with stress that hes ever been in and its clear hes taking a few steps back during this situation... You can not fault him at all... Ask him who he would recommend he is very forthcoming and will never stear anyone down the wrong path.

Good luck dude... hope you can find a dedicated tuner until than enjoy it at low boost and 8-10 degrees of timing... just my .02
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    It sucks that the flat line issue is such a big deal with AT bc the knowledge of how to eliminate the loss of massive hp post shift leaves many people with knowledge of tuning with a lot left to learn about our n54... Im pretty sure T is in the $#@!tiest position with stress that hes ever been in and its clear hes taking a few steps back during this situation... You can not fault him at all... Ask him who he would recommend he is very forthcoming and will never stear anyone down the wrong path.

Good luck dude... hope you can find a dedicated tuner until than enjoy it at low boost and 8-10 degrees of timing... just my .02
    yea,

is all good.
    its really not that complicated honestly and terry will still help im sure if you are cool and respect him. He has been there for me when i have needed him even though ive gone rogue.
    Its really not that serious in my experience. My car is hassle free and makes stupid power effortlessly.

Mett, u will be best dealing with @aflatau and T as u are doing the mac soleniod do dad.
    i have no interest or need to go down that road personally on my car, i run race gas everyday on full boost with meth or wastegate on 93oct so i have no need or desire to have jb4 control boost. But the firmware T made is solid.

Hit up @BoostAddict as well he is good with the BT and flashing stuff

as always if it all ends up a mess, stop by with a hallman pro or ill pay u a visit up there and ill get u set up the simple hassle free way if u run into issues

Fueling side 455 or 255 inline is plenty on LP side and idk what ur plan is on HP side but if u can modify ur HPFP and rail or talk tony into setting you up with that set up until the next revision is out, i more than strongly urge you to do this or u will be pullin hairs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...c1d13856-1.jpg

3. Once that is flashed, start the car to make sure its good to go. With this flash it will turn off all the o2 sensors codes and etc to prevent ses lights.

Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

helpful, but i have a note, there's a special BB flash for the single turbo Terry will send by mail if u request, no need to run the pump flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

helpful, but i have a note, there's a special BB flash for the single turbo Terry will send by mail if u request, no need to run the pump flash.
    X2
    worst case, i have a BB flash for pump gas and ~18psi and race gas and ~27psi from Terry incase i decide to go down that road that i can send u (at your own risk) if you so desire

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Well I don't have that flash file, do you think you can upload it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well I don't have that flash file, do you think you can upload it?
    u want the 93 oct flash?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast