Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Octane help without tune, 2 gallons of e85 to help?

Good afternoon.

I live in Colorado where nothing but 91 is available, and the elevation doesn't help anything. I have always felt my acceleration was a little choppy, and have never been happy about that. I have been slowly setting money aside for a protune (PTF) and a Cobb, but have a wedding coming up that is sapping my extra income.
    I came across a 100octane race gas station the other day, so I figured I would try and blend for fun. I had like 2.5 gallons of 91 left in the tank, so I added 2.5 gallons of 100octane. I haven't noticed a ridiculous difference, but on WOT runs, my acceleration is definitely much much smoother.

Would I benefit from running a couple gallons of E-85 to help fix that choppy acceleration? (should bring a tank to 93) I know you need to tune for octane to actually benefit from it, but raising the octane couldn't be a bad thing, right?

(looking for cheap thrills/cheap fixes before actually spending real money on mods haha)
    Last edited by I6+TT=FTW; 04-03-2014 at 05:52 PM.
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I am cursed with Denver fuel and elevation as well.

I run 5 gallons of E85 with 91 e10 pump on my S54. Makes a world of difference over the straight pump.

$2.70 a gallon is nice as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

I accidentally put 7 gallons of E85 in my E39 V8 a few weeks back before I noticed I was at the wrong pump... then added 10 gallons of 93 oct... the car is still alive, but fuel mileage was sub 20 mpg instead of 27 on the HWY

A lot of guys are doing full E85 on 997.1 Porkers and the power increases are insanely great
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    I accidentally put 7 gallons of E85 in my E39 V8 a few weeks back before I noticed I was at the wrong pump... then added 10 gallons of 93 oct... the car is still alive, but fuel mileage was sub 20 mpg instead of 27 on the HWY

A lot of guys are doing full E85 on 997.1 Porkers and the power increases are insanely great
    The gains are best realized on boosted platform. Your Carrera would love some corn fuel for sure. The NA V8 certainly won't explode, but as you noted the benefits can't be harnessed to the same degrees.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by I6+TT=FTW Click here to enlarge
    Good afternoon.

I live in Colorado where nothing but 91 is available, and the elevation doesn't help anything. I have always felt my acceleration was a little choppy, and have never been happy about that. I have been slowly setting money aside for a protune (PTF) and a Cobb, but have a wedding coming up that is sapping my extra income.
    I came across a 100octane race gas station the other day, so I figured I would try and blend for fun. I had like 2.5 gallons of 91 left in the tank, so I added 2.5 gallons of 100octane. I haven't noticed a ridiculous difference, but on WOT runs, my acceleration is definitely much much smoother.

Would I benefit from running a couple gallons of E-85 to help fix that choppy acceleration? (should bring a tank to 93) I know you need to tune for octane to actually benefit from it, but raising the octane couldn't be a bad thing, right?

(looking for cheap thrills/cheap fixes before actually spending real money on mods haha)
    Why aren't you running meth?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

Breaking bad $#@! !

Crystal METH

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    The gains are best realized on boosted platform. Your Carrera would love some corn fuel for sure. The NA V8 certainly won't explode, but as you noted the benefits can't be harnessed to the same degrees.
    I was standing there in front of said E85 pump and was day dreaming and filling the old cozzer up when I finally SAW THE EPA E85 blah blah blah

what a moron I am... and this pump was away from the other pumps - DOHHH

Back to youtoooobbb

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

What part of Colorado are you in? If you're hard up for cash why not just pick up a bt cable and flash on the cheap, or find one local to borrow and flash for free and/or beer? Then you could enjoy more E85 and more boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I know there's safeguards against failure, and it would definitely help a lot, but im just to sketched out by it.
    Plus I want a fmic and a the protune first IF I were to run meth.
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

I know there's safeguards against failure, and it would definitely help a lot, but im just to sketched out by it.
    Plus I want a fmic and a the protune first IF I were to run meth.
    Well I mean it would solve your octane problem and you don't have to worry about your fuel pump keeping up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    What part of Colorado are you in? If you're hard up for cash why not just pick up a bt cable and flash on the cheap, or find one local to borrow and flash for free and/or beer? Then you could enjoy more E85 and more boost.
    Fort Collins
    I would prefer to wait and get the cobb and protune. I know the BB flash is legit, I just like the idea of the support from a good company, plus a really cool device.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Well I mean it would solve your octane problem and you don't have to worry about your fuel pump keeping up...
    You're not wrong at all.
    My problem is I keep imagining a pump or something else failing, and BOOM. Fixing a blown motor isnt in the budget lol. Now how often does that happen/what percentage of blown motors running meth were caused by a meth issue, i dont know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

You're not wrong at all.
    My problem is I keep imagining a pump or something else failing, and BOOM. Fixing a blown motor isnt in the budget lol. Now how often does that happen/what percentage of blown motors running meth were caused by a meth issue, i dont know.
    It's actually more of a safety measure as if you're already have trouble with pump fuel in this case it can only help unless you get greedy.

No worries though, whatever you're comfortable with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

You're not wrong at all.

Why not run E40-50 and tune for that, then spray on top of it. I’m tuned for E60 and spray, were the meth to suffer a catastrophic failure, I’d still be OK. My tune does not account for meth as the primary source of octane and fuel. People get in trouble with meth under the following circumstances

1. Lack of supporting bolt ons
    2. Aggressive tuning that assumes meth will provide the octane
    3. Running pump gas as your actual fuel
    4. Running a cheap meth system

If you avoid the above, there’s nothing particularly unsafe about spraying modest amounts. Aquamist for instance is essentially fool proof, if flow stops or doesn’t meet IDC based targets, boost is dumped instantly.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Why not run E40-50 and tune for that, then spray on top of it. I’m tuned for E60 and spray, were the meth to suffer a catastrophic failure, I’d still be OK. My tune does not account for meth as the primary source of octane and fuel. People get in trouble with meth under the following circumstances

1. Lack of supporting bolt ons
    2. Aggressive tuning that assumes meth will provide the octane
    3. Running pump gas as your actual fuel
    4. Running a cheap meth system

If you avoid the above, there’s nothing particularly unsafe about spraying modest amounts. Aquamist for instance is essentially fool proof, if flow stops or doesn’t meet IDC based targets, boost is dumped instantly.
    Understood. I know I shouldn't be that worried about spraying, but I will probably still avoid it until later on.

As a side note, I did try 6 gallons of 91 and 1 gallon on E85 just to give it a little test (E20?), and the car definitely ran rougher (slightly) compared to V-Power 91.

I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens when I eventually start tuning.