Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

V8Bait has just uploaded N54 tuning goodies, I8A0S and IJE0S!

V8Bait has just uploaded N54 tuning goodies, I8A0S and IJE0S!

Included in the .zip is a

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    link not working
    08 535i 6MT - JB4 G5 ISO - Luke performance flash - E40 & BMS 100% Meth - AR design catless DP - ETS 5" intercooler - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - ER chargepipe - HKS BOV - K-sport coilovers - UUC evo SSK - CDV deleted - ACS spoiler - Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    approved

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not seeing the file link in the download page...
    -'09 135i MT - Custom 6466 ST - 680whp Click here to enlarge
    -'08 135i AT - 6466 ST - dead
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't see it either, maybe he forgot to attach it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I attached it as far as I know. It said uploaded... did it again and looks like it's there now.

Just a compilation of a few common tables and tips with how to tune the basics in tuner pro. I assume you can figure out how to use the compare tool on your own, and it's nothing you can't find elsewhere I'm sure but might be helpful to some who are novice.

There is debate as to if the extended scalars from Wedge's XDF are actually functional. I'll test it out when I get a chance, in Cobb the scalar works well but if Wedge's changes are not working I'll try to figure out what needs to be added to the BIN's to enable it in due time. Usually just a flag for a table or something simple. Otherwise the BIN's provided aren't about racing, more about daily driving. Some people have different opinions on that topic... which is why it's so nice to learn to tune your own :-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yep it's there now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Very informative! Answered alot of the questions I had after switching from tuning evos via opensource.
    Two Boosted Bimmers....
    2010 135i- JB4, DCI, Meth, DP's, CP/Tial Q, CPE Exhaust
    1995 M3- AA Stg 1, Meth, 3.46 FD, Quaife LSD

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad the spreadsheet was useful. Trying to help people break this aversion to touching their tables themselves in the privacy of their own home like it will cause them to go blind or something... at least look at that sexy BIN of yours in TunerPro, maybe you'll learn something!

OK some people have no place. But others shouldn't be so timid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Glad the spreadsheet was useful. Trying to help people break this aversion to touching their tables themselves in the privacy of their own home like it will cause them to go blind or something... at least look at that sexy BIN of yours in TunerPro, maybe you'll learn something!

OK some people have no place. But others shouldn't be so timid.

I agree that there are some people that shouldnt mess with it at all. Everyone has to start somewhere though. I remember when I tuned my last car for the first time, I was terrified. Once you do enough learning and have a good understanding of what good datalogs look like all you have to know is when to stop pushing the envelope. Keep up the good work and keep grandma from roasting those rear tires.
    Two Boosted Bimmers....
    2010 135i- JB4, DCI, Meth, DP's, CP/Tial Q, CPE Exhaust
    1995 M3- AA Stg 1, Meth, 3.46 FD, Quaife LSD

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The extended scalars work.....I have been running them for a couple of months. Looking at the table in a Bin editor, I will argue that the whole table is always being read. There is no flag.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aerotest Click here to enlarge
    The extended scalars work.....I have been running them for a couple of months. Looking at the table in a Bin editor, I will argue that the whole table is always being read. There is no flag.
    Thanks for the input. I'm inclined to agree from the little testing I've been doing. Terry brought it up on N54tech so just wanted to make it clear. I can't identify anything special for any tables other than their presence signifies their use in general. Identical to way it worked years ago in the GM and DSM stuff that was so well hacked, just many more tables, more hysteresis between values etc. It's tough to sift through for me not gonna lie.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can someone help me find an XDF file for my Alpina B3S biturbo? I can send the file I've read out of my car, I got the stock file and the stage 2 + decat Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have my fuel trims dead flat on a 3rd gear pull and inside 3% during normal driving on e30. It took a lot of work to get them theree b/c the cobb scalar values are not accurate across the whole table. I feel like 3d scalars are must for anyone running ethanol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have my fuel trims dead flat on a 3rd gear pull and inside 3% during normal driving on e30. It took a lot of work to get them theree b/c the cobb scalar values are not accurate across the whole table. I feel like 3d scalars are must for anyone running ethanol.
    We don't have access to the main volumetric efficiency tables. I'm not even sure if I'd want access to them at this point... but because of that, whenever you change the VE of the engine with something like downpipes, you're forcing the computer to use fuel trims to account for things. It works absurdly well for us, but the more you change things the farther from zero you get, especially at certain places. E85 adds VE and has completely different burn characteristics, energy content etc... but we really have no way to account for any of this other than a static fuel scalar (as it was originally unintended to be used for) to cheat or using the piggyback to cheat.

Having a 3D scalar, even if it's not perfect, really helps since we don't have the true tables we should be modifying available to us yet. The more mods you have the bigger deal it is, but yes I feel it's very important as well! Click here to enlarge

You should share your scalar once you get it straight, my E30 fbo is incredibly mediocre, just a starting point based on the Cobb values, with guestimated values based upon how I think the car would respond not taking into account the jb4. Lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Excellent points. I am not completely convinced there is a VE table, but I say that knowing there are 250+ undefined tables remaining in the BIN. With dual map sensors, I believe the computer is developing a virtual MAF value and targeting lamda with the WEGO sensors. This opinion is completely baseless without a complete XDF of the BIN. I believe your comment about adjusting VE still holds true under this theory, b/c they would have to employ some sort of airflow model of the intake track, which could result in the same scewing of fuel prediction as you point out. I also completely agree that scalar adjustments are a band aid fix.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Virtual maf or static tables, it has something and we don't have access to it. There's open loop still for when closed loop fails, so it's there. But anyway it's not a major deal just splitting hairs lol. The "hack" of a dynamic scalar works well enough, creative solution to the problem. Hats off to Cobb for initially thinking of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Check out WinOLS trial copy if you are interested in seeing the bin differently.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    v8bait, what are your thoughts on increasing all the exhaust vanos cells that are lower than 90 up to 90 to reduce EGR? I believe the primary reason exhaust vanos exists is for egr/emissions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Somebody before had mention Cobb maps have the vanos changes to reduce or cut the EGR but I've never been able to get confirmation on that.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bradsm87 Click here to enlarge
    v8bait, what are your thoughts on increasing all the exhaust vanos cells that are lower than 90 up to 90 to reduce EGR? I believe the primary reason exhaust vanos exists is for egr/emissions.
    Yeah any car with vvt on the exhaust cam uses it in place of egr functions. It would be beneficial to advance the exhaust cam (decreasing overlap) at low rpm to help increase spool and low end power. I haven't looked at the vanos tables yet, limited time, but that would be a positive change in all regards.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Was looking at stock Vanos tables for about 10 minutes today. We have many tables of fun! These should be of concern to ST guys I would think. But anyway in terms of disabling EGR it looks pretty straightforward. Values are centerline values looks like, when I throw the tables in excel and compare them (EC + IC) / 2 I get some interesting LSA values.

I see your EGR sticking out nicely at medium loads from around 2k RPM and up from around 30 load to 70 load. If you'd like to disable it feel free, but I would only disable it in the "warm" maps, you want a little bit to warm the car up. But come to think of it I bet if you decresed the effect some on the cold maps, you might help carbon buildup some too. Maybe worth looking into. Anyway, the value in the block at 30 load/2000 RPM gives a LSA of like 94, which I like. Maybe use those values for IC/EC for the 30 load column straight down and then calculate some to hit the same LSA and use those with the general direction trend for the 45 and 60 load columns... if that makes sense (I'd say just use the IC/EC values from the 30 load cell but I think lowering IC from the stock 97.6 to maybe around 80 or 70 at 40/60 load would be nicer for the car, but preserve a higher LSA).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bradsm87 Click here to enlarge
    Sorry, I think my last post may have been confusing. This is a screenshot of the table I made to find the EGR. Anywhere you see a low lobe separation value will have a strong EGR effect. This is expected at partial loads, which proves true. If you would like to toy with removing it, it's quite easy. Adjust the values in the EC and IC tables however you'd like to get the calculated LSA value higher, definitely over 90, higher still if you'd like to reduce it even more.

A note on the centerline values- remember, things are opposites because of BTDC for exhaust and ATDC for intake.

If you raise the exhaust cam number (advancing cam), you open the exhaust valve earlier(measured BTDC) and reduce chance for overlap.
    If you lower the exhaust cam number (retarding cam), you open the exhaust valve later... which increases chance for overlap (since it will close later too, when the intake valve is likely to be opening)

If you raise the intake cam number (retarding cam), you are opening the valve later (because it's measured ATDC)... HIGH END POWER
    If you lower the intake came number (advancing cam), you are opening the intake valve earlier.... LOW END POWER

Notice... advancing the cam opens things earlier, retarding the cam opens things later, because the engine rotates one direction. It's just the values in the tables that can be confusing, because of how they are measured.

I can't tell you exact overlap values without cam specs. But LSA values under 100 have overlap, under 90 have EGR probably. Maybe I should add this to that spreadsheet...
    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by V8Bait; 04-09-2014 at 03:30 AM. Reason: ocd

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Check out WinOLS trial copy if you are interested in seeing the bin differently.
    How do you open the BIN and the XDF file in WinOLS?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You open the bin only....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast