Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    683
    Rep Points
    515.0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No

    Thinking about doing up a Z4, thoughts?

    So I am looking at buying a few year old Z4 and really doing it up. Probably an '09, manual, looking at doing either a hybrid or full replacement turbo set up, full bolt ons, upgraded HPFP, clutch, etc, I searched and didn't find anything, has anyone done a really big power Z4? Any special considerations with the Z4? Thanks. I hope someone can help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,174.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    The Z4 is a sweet car. No reason you can't do one up like that.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Flexing in the mirror
    Posts
    471
    Rep Points
    883.5
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Yes Reputation No
    If I'm not mistaken they are about 400lbs lighter then the 335i and M3. Buddy of mine has a 2010 that frustrates me as he runs times way too close to mine considering the discrepancy in mods. I say go for it.
    -Modified safety triangle in trunk
    -Carbon fiber key overlay
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,962
    Rep Points
    2,657.4
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    http://autos.yahoo.com/bmw/z4/2009/s...fications.html


    Weight about 3475 it seems... not so light but not heavy either... the z4 35is is the perfect z4 imo
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Flexing in the mirror
    Posts
    471
    Rep Points
    883.5
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Yes Reputation No
    Now I'm just sad...
    Damn map whatever the $#@! JB4.
    -Modified safety triangle in trunk
    -Carbon fiber key overlay
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami Beach
    Posts
    1,094
    Rep Points
    513.1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    do it !! every time i see a Z i get this feeling i bought the wrong car
    Click here to enlarge

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    do it !! every time i see a Z i get this feeling i bought the wrong car
    Couldn't agree more. I wish I would have at least test drove one. I was just worried I'd be setting myself up for disappointment by not being comfortable in the car. (I'm 6' 4"). Same reason I didn't bother test driving a 1er.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
    So I am looking at buying a few year old Z4 and really doing it up. Probably an '09, manual, looking at doing either a hybrid or full replacement turbo set up, full bolt ons, upgraded HPFP, clutch, etc, I searched and didn't find anything, has anyone done a really big power Z4? Any special considerations with the Z4? Thanks. I hope someone can help.
    There's been some pretty cool Z4 builds. There's a guy on here with an S85 swapped into his. Pretty badass. If I thought I could fit comfortably in one I woulda looked at one, I sure as hell like the car more than a 3 series.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    moco, md
    Posts
    1,188
    Rep Points
    1,481.2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    They are really nice cars and the only other n54 option to come with the dct trans other than a 335is. Thing is though....research the part options for that car. See if downpipes and intercoolers will fit....The chassis is different so you may be limited on what you can buy for it. (example, the 535i has a different chassis and requires different, more expensive, downpipes than a 335i or 135i)
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    683
    Rep Points
    515.0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for all the tips and advice guys, sounds like it may be a go if I can find the right car!

    Yeah I spend about 10x more researching parts for my builds then actually doing anything else, haha, the parts for the Z4 seem to be much harder to find, and a bit more expensive, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make Click here to enlarge

    Could anyone link me to a hybrid or full swap turbo build on a Z4? I feel like this thing will become viper/SLS-esque with all the torque it's going to have Click here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    moco, md
    Posts
    1,188
    Rep Points
    1,481.2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Please list the downpipes and fmic you found to fit on a z4 sdrive35i lol. I am quite curious and have not been able to dig up much.
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,174.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge
    If I'm not mistaken they are about 400lbs lighter then the 335i and M3. Buddy of mine has a 2010 that frustrates me as he runs times way too close to mine considering the discrepancy in mods. I say go for it.
    You are mistaken. They are barely lighter.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,174.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    There's a guy on here with an S85 swapped into his. Pretty badass.
    That's freaking sick! That would be exactly what I would do.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami Beach
    Posts
    1,094
    Rep Points
    513.1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Couldn't agree more. I wish I would have at least test drove one. I was just worried I'd be setting myself up for disappointment by not being comfortable in the car. (I'm 6' 4"). Same reason I didn't bother test driving a 1er.
    your probably fit. I'm much shorter so i'll be cozy i their and the reason i didn't even consider it was because it didn't have a backseat. I regret it not at least driving it. 1series is a girls car and its ugly Click here to enlarge lol
    Click here to enlarge

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    your probably fit. I'm much shorter so i'll be cozy i their and the reason i didn't even consider it was because it didn't have a backseat. I regret it not at least driving it. 1series is a girls car and its ugly Click here to enlarge lol
    lmao, yeah we're on the same page. That was anothe reason I didn't bother test driving it. It really didn't cost much more, I honestly don't know why I didn't test drive more cars period. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my car, the 335i is great, but I do kinda feel like I shoulda test drove a few other first just to have been sure.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    884
    Rep Points
    1,435.3
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    I'm only 6'2" and test drove a z435is. I remember having to slouch down because my line of sight was right at the very top of the windshield. DCT was awesome though! I have just as much room in my 135 as my 335 and none of the visibility problems I had when test driving the z4.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami Beach
    Posts
    1,094
    Rep Points
    513.1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    lmao, yeah we're on the same page. That was anothe reason I didn't bother test driving it. It really didn't cost much more, I honestly don't know why I didn't test drive more cars period. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my car, the 335i is great, but I do kinda feel like I shoulda test drove a few other first just to have been sure.
    same thing happened to me -.- . i saw it and had to order one without test driving or ordering anything else
    Click here to enlarge

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    683
    Rep Points
    515.0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stucks Click here to enlarge
    Please list the downpipes and fmic you found to fit on a z4 sdrive35i lol. I am quite curious and have not been able to dig up much.
    Edit: I'm not sure if these will go on a 35is but for a 35i I think these are what I'm leaning towards:

    This is the FMIC I am looking at, looks like good quality to me, but I was going to check around a bit more: http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/216 also as a less expensive alternative: http://www.wagner-tuning.com/BMW-135...ines_p_42.html I was going to contact Wagner about the fitment.
    As for downpipes, catted or non-catted, high quality: http://www.modbargains.com/AR-Design...N54-E89-Z4.htm
    Normally I charge for this kind of information Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    470
    Rep Points
    345.7
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge
    If I'm not mistaken they are about 400lbs lighter then the 335i and M3. Buddy of mine has a 2010 that frustrates me as he runs times way too close to mine considering the discrepancy in mods. I say go for it.
    the 135i is 45lbs lighter than the z4

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Flexing in the mirror
    Posts
    471
    Rep Points
    883.5
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    the 135i is 45lbs lighter than the z4
    Buddy and I looked it up while waiting in staging line. Must have mistakenly been looking at the Z30i.
    -Modified safety triangle in trunk
    -Carbon fiber key overlay
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    moco, md
    Posts
    1,188
    Rep Points
    1,481.2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
    Edit: I'm not sure if these will go on a 35is but for a 35i I think these are what I'm leaning towards:

    This is the FMIC I am looking at, looks like good quality to me, but I was going to check around a bit more: http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/216 also as a less expensive alternative: http://www.wagner-tuning.com/BMW-135...ines_p_42.html I was going to contact Wagner about the fitment.
    As for downpipes, catted or non-catted, high quality: http://www.modbargains.com/AR-Design...N54-E89-Z4.htm
    Normally I charge for this kind of information Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    ah thanks!


    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    the 135i is 45lbs lighter than the z4
    But it don't have the dct! Click here to enlarge
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    683
    Rep Points
    515.0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stucks Click here to enlarge
    ah thanks!
    Yep no problem Click here to enlarge

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,190
    Rep Points
    1,457.0
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
    So I am looking at buying a few year old Z4 and really doing it up. Probably an '09, manual, looking at doing either a hybrid or full replacement turbo set up, full bolt ons, upgraded HPFP, clutch, etc, I searched and didn't find anything, has anyone done a really big power Z4? Any special considerations with the Z4? Thanks. I hope someone can help.
    After having the DCT on mine, I'd say go for the DCT. It's the 'auto' on the 35i model. Most people don't know but the only true automatic is available only on the 28i models. The DCT in the light car makes a world of a difference.

    However, the 09+ is kinda floaty in turns and has runflats stock. My gf drives ours so I don't get to touch it, but first thing I'd do would be coilovers and rims/tires then subframe bushings. After that go crazy with a JB4/Cobb combo. It'd put out some nice times and be pretty fast on the street. That DCT shifts so damn fast and the fat powerband of the N54 really makes it move out quick.

    As for fitment, I'm about 200lbs and 6'1 and I have no issues fitting and have never needed to sit low to fit; there's plenty of headroom.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    470
    Rep Points
    345.7
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stucks Click here to enlarge
    But it don't have the dct! Click here to enlarge
    the 6AT can handle more torque

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,174.3
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    the 6AT can handle more torque
    Can it?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •