Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

JB4 Logs - Dropping Timing.

When you see drops in timing under the JB4 logs, what does that mean? Is it caused by knocking, dentation or what?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Map setting too aggressive, fuel(octane) ect ect.
    What are your mods? What tune? More info would help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    Map setting too aggressive, fuel(octane) ect ect.
    What are your mods? What tune? More info would help.
    Sorry, it's a single turbo setup.

Click here to enlarge

Running just straight pump 93 right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's not the happiest log .. I'd either drop the boost a little or add 2-3 gallons of e85 and try again. Also I'd post a 2-3-4 log as we'll to see how car likes multiple gears ...

Actually i would personally just be emailing t and getting his opinion
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    It's not the happiest log .. I'd either drop the boost a little or add 2-3 gallons of e85 and try again. Also I'd post a 2-3-4 log as we'll to see how car likes multiple gears ...

Actually i would personally just be emailing t and getting his opinion
    Terry really had nothing to say. and is pretty vague on his responses, once you go single turbo support kind of goes out the window. Pretty much forced to do it yourself.

What I am going to do is test out with an e35 mix (70/30), increase the fuel scalar a little bit and see if it evens it out. If not I will drop the timing a couple degs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The thing is at this point, you need a real tuner to go through all the little stuff and make sure you're doing okay. I might have to ask my old Cobalt SS tuner to have a gander if I'm having issues. AFAIK though, I should be able to meet with Terry at the Dyno and have him tune my car in person.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    The thing is at this point, you need a real tuner to go through all the little stuff and make sure you're doing okay. I might have to ask my old Cobalt SS tuner to have a gander if I'm having issues. AFAIK though, I should be able to meet with Terry at the Dyno and have him tune my car in person.

This is something I can not even begin to explain how strange it is that NO ONE seems to have anyone to tune these cars... its nothing special esp now with open source im sure we are using the same thing as many others.. But I do believe we are still limited ways, but that doesn't mean someone cant polish your n54s tune with basic engine tuning knowledge and a dyno.

I will explore my options with the current tuners but I want it to be on a dyno ...
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is something I can not even begin to explain how strange it is that NO ONE seems to have anyone to tune these cars... its nothing special esp now with open source im sure we are using the same thing as many others.. But I do believe we are still limited ways, but that doesn't mean someone cant polish your n54s tune with basic engine tuning knowledge and a dyno.

I will explore my options with the current tuners but I want it to be on a dyno ...
    Yep, If there was a little more single turbo cars out there.... I need my car to be ready for Shift S3ctor 3 weeks from now.. ahhh
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've already responded on fb, but this log seems different than the others. This one seems to be an octane issue. We've never really tried or wanted to run straight 93 on more than 15-16psi. I don't think it's a good idea passing that point without meth and/or e85. Although DI these motors are still kinda high compression.

Fwiw i I have no problem helping out anybody who is local getting setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Easiest thing to do first IMO is just put in better fuel. I don't even plan on doing any WOT pulls on jump pump gas, honestly, just doesn't make sense. You did a lot of work to it and spend a lot of money on it, I understand it can be a pain dealing with partial e85 fill ups, and locating higher octane fuels, but at least use a meth injection system. It really helps a ton.

EDIT: Even on stock turbos my logs were much better with meth than without. In fact, my best logs on stock turbos were on map7 JB4 with the backend flash designed for upgraded turbos with 80/20 mix methanol. No meth I saw timing drops a lot.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aflatau Click here to enlarge
    Terry really had nothing to say. and is pretty vague on his responses, once you go single turbo support kind of goes out the window. Pretty much forced to do it yourself.

What I am going to do is test out with an e35 mix (70/30), increase the fuel scalar a little bit and see if it evens it out. If not I will drop the timing a couple degs.
    Yes we no longer have the resources to do custom tuning with one-off sorts of things. I think you should find/hire a good tuner. PTF & Wedge are the only ones I know of off hand. I'm sure more will turn up.

We'll continue to post the maps & tuning notes for our development cars as we tune them which make good starting points.

PS. I'd probably run E30, lean the AFR out, and monitor fuel pressure. Should work for 18-20psi if done right.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 03-31-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wouldn't expect Terry to really go any further than technical support. You're buying and installing a product, not hiring him for a remote custom tune.... and if you are, he isn't charging enough lol. I think he does way more than what is called for and supports people a LOT, when they should be putting the car on a roller and having a competent tuner look and tweak the car.

Can I tune a car? sure. may take me a while, launch an engine component or two, but I'll figure it out.

No thanks- I'll take it to my tuner Steven Kan at PRT Performance, and have him knock out a solid tune that I couldn't touch in 1/8 of the time.

I pick and choose my battles- tuning is not one of them.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    What's the fuel?
    looks like no methanol spraying?
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    I wouldn't expect Terry to really go any further than technical support. You're buying and installing a product, not hiring him for a remote custom tune.... and if you are, he isn't charging enough lol. I think he does way more than what is called for and supports people a LOT, when they should be putting the car on a roller and having a competent tuner look and tweak the car.
    +10000

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    I'm always happy to help when I can. But for stuff like this single turbo it's going to need to be in a one on many format like the single turbo thread on n54tech. Where I can chime in when time permits and share info with the group.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 03-31-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Your in NYC right? Bren at Brentuning is who I would look up if I were you. He knows the N54 and does protune's using cobb all the time. He also does remote tuning. He's a good guy and really knows how to get power out of these cars.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Terry@BMS so essentially what needs to be fine tuned is the Back end flash part of things. The JB4 is doing it's part already from my understanding?
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The JB4 is basically controlling boost, meth and the in dash gauges. The flash is controlling timing and fueling.
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    I've already responded on fb, but this log seems different than the others. This one seems to be an octane issue. We've never really tried or wanted to run straight 93 on more than 15-16psi. I don't think it's a good idea passing that point without meth and/or e85. Although DI these motors are still kinda high compression.

Fwiw i I have no problem helping out anybody who is local getting setup.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aflatau Click here to enlarge
    When you see drops in timing under the JB4 logs, what does that mean? Is it caused by knocking, dentation or what?
    i drove my car 3000 miles roundtrip west palm to montauk point long island last week

i was on 93 oct and 50/50 meth/water (boost juice and running 18-20psi the whole trip

lots of hard driving as well. did period logs along the way and had avg corrections of 0.0-0.2 the whole trip

Adam,
    with out meth i would not personally run more that 16 psi on 93oct

i think ur issue is a very slight octane defficiency
    i would step up to an E25 mix which should fix u at 18psi and no meth as well as shouldnt strain ur fuel system.

also, i know the Vargas modified HPFP and rail that i have is taboo to some BUT it works for me,
    i had no issue running up to 25psi with e40 and no meth and made 642whp like that on a very hot day on an outside dynojet with no timing drops

i know you dont like or want to use meth but consider a set up like mine
    I run the AEM V2 with a custom 3.9 gal tank and have it setup standalone boost actuated.

i dont get any timing corrections in any gears now.

my rules are:
    18-20psi - 93 plus 50/50 meth
    20-27psi - 100 oct or e40 up to e85 with 100% meth

16psi 93 no meth or e25-e85
    18-20psi no meth e25-e85
    20-27psi no meth e40-e50
    @BoostAddict has had a lot of seat time and tinkering with my car he can help as well.
    jake at PTF is worth giving a shout to as well.
    @Terry@BMS should still be able to send u a backend flash which will get u where u need to be, if not i have some i can start u with

if you want to do the bimmerboost flash thing, @BoostAddict can help, im not into that, i dont see it neccesary as my car is strong, healthy not not working hard and works great every time.

sorry ive been "gone" no more FB and $#@! but most of u have my number or know how to get ahold of me.

PS the solid mounts (motor/tranny) from PTF are a go. no added vibration and it noticeably helps and u feel the transfer

Click here to enlarge
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

@Terry@BMS so essentially what needs to be fine tuned is the Back end flash part of things. The JB4 is doing it's part already from my understanding?
    @fastgti69

i have everything u need to succeed on the tuning end, hit me up if u run into any issues, ive had a year and a half of figuring this $#@! out with terry and others help.
    the car is solid and works flawlessly all the way up to 27psi (over 700whp) so far

im just playing around on 18-20psi for the short term until i swap le 6mt in to this bad chicken

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Everything. Boost control needs to be dialed in on the JB4 end (our maps are setup for the FFTEC but other kits may require more attention there), a fueling strategy needs to be implemented and setup on the JB4 and flash end, timing has to be set properly, etc. Our FFTEC maps are good starting points but not a replacement for a real tuner going through everything. The problem is there are really no other tuners available that really understand how to set things up for single turbos. I post what I know in the JB4 single turbo thread so that is a good starting resource. Custom tuning in general is a great opportunity for a knowledgeable enthusiast to step up and make a little money helping the community. It's time for some of you guys to step up. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 03-31-2014 at 05:42 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

heres some fun pics of my racekarClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Siiiiiiick sleeper!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    Siiiiiiick sleeper!
    yes,
    i on the drive home i had a seemingly stock gt500 run up on me and make a go at it..
    even with me on low boost he ended up with a sad story LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast