Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

I think what I love most about this car is...for the most part in aftermarket it's easier and more "fun" to spend your money increasing power for the straight line. Lets face it, it's not nearly as fun spending money on a BBK, coilovers, etc. as it is on a turbo kit. Plus, it's much more work to make a car handle better than it is to just make it go fast. IMO that makes the Z/28 a full-on homerun. I mean it doesn't take much to see 500whp out of a LS7, or even 600whp, power is cheap and easy on that car, and Chevy couldn't have picked a better motor. It's a driver's car through and through.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    I think what I love most about this car is...for the most part in aftermarket it's easier and more "fun" to spend your money increasing power for the straight line. Lets face it, it's not nearly as fun spending money on a BBK, coilovers, etc. as it is on a turbo kit. Plus, it's much more work to make a car handle better than it is to just make it go fast. IMO that makes the Z/28 a full-on homerun. I mean it doesn't take much to see 500whp out of a LS7, or even 600whp, power is cheap and easy on that car, and Chevy couldn't have picked a better motor. It's a driver's car through and through.
    Good point... this car will only get faster around the road course as you throw more power at it for a long time. I don't think I'd go past a H/C/I LS7, but that should be enough for over 600whp that you can rag on all day long without breaking a sweat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
    Well, you quoted the gap in 0 - 100 times as your reasoning for why this time is hard to believe....

Number of times "0 - anything" comes into play on a road course: Zero.

One thing I would be curious to know: Given the tuneability of the Z28's dampers, did GM have an engineer at the track who dialed it in while leaving the other cars running their off the shelf settings? I'd bet 'yes' if there were money on the line.
    It's not zero. Click here to enlarge

There is no way it can be zero. You are 100% right, and I understand what you are saying - a 200 HP Miata can kill a 450 HP Challenger (as an example) on a tight road course where the speed in the corners make up more than 50% of the total average speed of the entire course.

If you put a race-spec Miata on a track like Road America, it doesn't matter how well it handles - as there is too much time it is going to lose on the straights to a more powerful car that doesn't handle as well in complex corners (say, a Corvette). It all depends on the track. If power and speed didn't matter (0% of time) - I could take my go-kart to any track and beat any car and win 100% of the time. It's not black/white - but this is pointless to argue.

I was trying to say that you have 3 cars are similar in weight and similar in power; the Z/28 has an extreme difference in acceleration (by those numbers, it's extreme). Every time a car is accelerating out of a corner, this is important. Given the difference in the 1/4 mile and 0-100 times, you would think that the faster accelerating cars AND the cars having torque vectoring AWD would have TOTAL advantage.

This wasn't true, and I find that this doesn't make much sense given the numbers we are seeing. That's all I meant.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Looking at the velocity/time graph: http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...meschart-1.jpg

It's completely dominating the other 2 cars in almost every corner, yet has much slower entry speeds. It's basically the opposite of what you would expect after looking at the numbers from the car. I don't know how else to word what I am trying to say, and am not taking away anything that the Z has done. I find it interesting - that's all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

One thing I would be curious to know: Given the tuneability of the Z28's dampers, did GM have an engineer at the track who dialed it in while leaving the other cars running their off the shelf settings? I'd bet 'yes' if there were money on the line
    What I read leads me to no. Randy Pobst adjusted the tire pressure a bit and that is it apparently. He wanted to adjust it further and do more laps but they didn't let him for whatever reason.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Looking at the velocity/time graph: http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...meschart-1.jpg

It's completely dominating the other 2 cars in almost every corner, yet has much slower entry speeds. It's basically the opposite of what you would expect after looking at the numbers from the car. I don't know how else to word what I am trying to say, and am not taking away anything that the Z has done. I find it interesting - that's all.
    Great little chart... Pretty easy to see where the Z28 is winning it on this. What I'd love to see, and I'm sure they could do with their GPS data, is an animated version that included the little dots moving across the X-axis with time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Great little chart... Pretty easy to see where the Z28 is winning it on this. What I'd love to see, and I'm sure they could do with their GPS data, is an animated version that included the little dots moving across the X-axis with time.
    Yeah, this car is definitely kicking ass in the corners... It's a whole different story when visualizing the car's speed if you look at the graph compared to the raw numbers... Very impressive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123