Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb help picking intercooler gsp vs vrsf

hey guys help me pick a ic.
    I can get a gsp godspeed ic for like 280 on ebay but im not sure if there crap there a 5in core or the 7in core vrsf thats on back order.
    let me here your opinions thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

The 4'' thick godspeed is a bit overkill for stock frames imo. But it is cheap, large, and proven.

CXracing sells a full kit with it, charge pipe, ducting, brackets etc. but it is much more expensive.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E91 Stockish and slow AF

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

3 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shaunlsone Click here to enlarge
    hey guys help me pick a ic.
    I can get a gsp godspeed ic for like 280 on ebay but im not sure if there crap there a 5in core or the 7in core vrsf thats on back order.
    let me here your opinions thanks
    Let me first start by saying I hope you find the intercooler that fits your budget and gets you where you want to be with the car. Seriously. For a little more than the VRSF one you could spring for the cp-e one and I love that thing. But if money is your limiting factor then I hope you find something that works out.

That being said, NEED MOAR GRAMMARZZZZ. Seriously man, they're/there, hear/here, a/an...pretty sure you just told grammar to suck a big fat monkey dick. And I died a little.
    COME AT ME BRO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    having better grammar doesn't help me pic a ic

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shaunlsone Click here to enlarge
    having better grammar doesn't help me pic a ic
    But it will help people understand you better, and since you are asking those people here which intercooler you should buy, it indirectly means that better grammar does help you pick an intercooler.

That being said, if price/gain ratio is something extremely important to you, Vrsf. Ebay is usually cheap manufactured junk. If you go with the ebay stuff, don't expect the core to be of good quality and don't expect everything to fit right lol.

Top intercoolers for this platform are cobb, ams, cp-e, helix, ets, and the vrsf 7 inch. Most are a lot more expensive than you are willing to spend it seems, but remember you pay to play. You could go with a big tom style (cxracing) intercooler as well, but you would have to do a lot of cutting. Good luck.
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I think the first post reads pretty clear so lets address the question at hand. Godspeed is junk on this platform. There are platforms where Godspeed works by sheer space availability (while the cores and craftsmanship are inferior to well developed American core products that put thought/research into fin density to balance flow/cooling and have quality control measures like pressure testing on sheer volume increase alone they are able to keep AITs down to contemplate not spending twice as much on a reputable brand despite superior fin pack/core design, castings and fitment). THIS platform is not one of them. The oem space available for improving upon is pretty small for the size engine and hp these cars make. You need something fabulous ESPECIALLY if you go with a 5" model that doesn't require any cutting. You want a 5" stick with ETS or PLM (yes I said it, the fin back is very dense for additional cooling surface despite the small size). Basically if you don't want to wait for the 7" VRSF to become available your going to have to spend more money for a good one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stanlalee Click here to enlarge
    I think the first post reads pretty clear so lets address the question at hand. Godspeed is junk on this platform. There are platforms where Godspeed works by sheer space availability (while the cores and craftsmanship are inferior to well developed American core products that put thought/research into fin density to balance flow/cooling and have quality control measures like pressure testing on sheer volume increase alone they are able to keep AITs down to contemplate not spending twice as much on a reputable brand despite superior fin pack/core design, castings and fitment). THIS platform is not one of them. The oem space available for improving upon is pretty small for the size engine and hp these cars make. You need something fabulous ESPECIALLY if you go with a 5" model that doesn't require any cutting. You want a 5" stick with ETS or PLM (yes I said it, the fin back is very dense for additional cooling surface despite the small size). Basically if you don't want to wait for the 7" VRSF to become available your going to have to spend more money for a good one.
    uhhh exactly how is it junk?

Cutting is easy and not hard and has no negatives afaik.

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    uhhh exactly how is it junk?

Cutting is easy and not hard and has no negatives afaik.
    I'm not sure if your talking about the same intercooler since you mentioned cutting. The direct replacement Godspeed intercooler doesn't require cutting. Its junk because the fin pitch is not dense enough to cool well for its 5" size. If your talking about the "big tom" style isn't that CX racing not Godspeed? That one is a classic example of cooling by capacity at the expense of adding volume to the system but it works.

These are Godspeed's. Note how much space between the fins (low fin surface area)
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    This is PLM (notice the small fins in between the larger fins for additional heat dissipating surface area. ETS has an extra row than typical for more surface area on their 5") VRSF is Chinese manufactured too (why its cheap) but they test and spec their own fin design to ensure it works well.
    Click here to enlarge

The endtanks are also puddle welded and its on revision two after copying the spearco design they decided to copy something else now. Godspeed just throws the same generic fin design on every application and hope for the best (after stealing the overall intercooler design and dimensions from something already in production).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yup my bad, I thought we were talking about the other ic. Amazing how horrible that ic is holy crap...

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well it was mentioned (the big tom style) by a poster but since the original poster said he could get the Godspeed for $280 on eBay he has to be talking about the direct replacement style. The big tom is typically $500 on eBay.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had a godspeed intercooler for 6 months.
    better than stock but really not good enough to run 13+psi without getting high iats . 6 inch godspeed with rounded end tanks. Have had it for sale for free for months and no one will take it.

Get VRSF intercooler

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can try it for Free plus shipping