Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Preparing for single turbo - advice?

Hi all,
    decided to have a local fabricator build a twin scroll top mount single turbo(tial 44mm mvr, gtx3582 and whatever terry@bms suggests for wastegate control for anyone wondering). Work should start around the middle of May but in the meantime I plan to move the coolant bottle, washer filler and vacuum canisters out of the way. I think I've read that the diesel coolant bottle is a good solution. Looking for the most-oem looking, easiest/most reliable way to make room.
    so...out with it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

With a top mount turbo it is never going to look OEM. I mean that turbo is going to take up space in the engine bay. Just try to keep it clean but the most important thing is the turbo is mounted and tuned well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

There is no real advise I can really give you. Just be ready, it won't be easy at all. Make sure you have the right o2 placements and good flow for wastegate priority. Other than that, you can wait for more kits to be released so you don't have to go into R&D.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    With a top mount turbo it is never going to look OEM. I mean that turbo is going to take up space in the engine bay. Just try to keep it clean but the most important thing is the turbo is mounted and tuned well.
    I meant I'd like to use the most oem parts possible when relocating things. I know the turbo is going to take up a huge amount of room and certainly will never be oem looking again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    There is no real advise I can really give you. Just be ready, it won't be easy at all. Make sure you have the right o2 placements and good flow for wastegate priority. Other than that, you can wait for more kits to be released so you don't have to go into R&D.
    Why wastegate vs. turbine priority?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by beakmoney Click here to enlarge
    Why wastegate vs. turbine priority?
    They should be in same direction of flow, turbine priority isn't really what you would call it. It's a given when all flow is directed there.

You will need longer coolant line extended at the bottom of the reservoir as well as wires for the sensor. Need to make a custom bracket to hold coolant reservoir with new placement of power steering reservoir as well.

Wastegate control is going to be with the MAC solenoid. Have you seen his thread on N54tech about all you need for single turbo applications.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Prepare to address any lingering issues with your car before you add the good stuff. I've done motor mounts, tranny mounts, leak down/compression tests, fuel system checks & clutch replacement.

I've purchased a bunch of misc parts as well, engine oil, motul tranny oil, extra fittings for my fuel pump install, stick tires & some other $#@!. I've kept everything organized via an Excel spreadsheet. $#@! adds up quick!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Get ready for a pain in the ass! Lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

^best advice
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Linracing Click here to enlarge
    Definitely, and I'm not even doing the fabrication.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Linracing Click here to enlarge
    Not real excited for the pain in the ass part. Attempting to "do it right the first time" by moving everything around in the engine bay prior to dropping the car off. Car is already fbo with meth and will have a walbro 455 lpfp installed once it warms up. Clutch is good, no oil leaks, suspension and brakes are sound. What else is there before I turn it over to the fabricator?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Definitely, and I'm not even doing the fabrication.
    I think I found your setup on IG lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Not real excited for the pain in the ass part. Attempting to "do it right the first time" by moving everything around in the engine bay prior to dropping the car off. Car is already fbo with meth and will have a walbro 455 lpfp installed once it warms up. Clutch is good, no oil leaks, suspension and brakes are sound. What else is there before I turn it over to the fabricator?
    moving things around is the easy part!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Haha as linracing said, moving stuff around is the easy part. Start doing fabrication, the annoying part will be the coolant and oil lines. They're push fit instead of NPT so it's harder to replicate etc. Just have money ready for anything to come into play.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    I think I found your setup on IG lol
    Yep, I posted a few stuff and so did my fabricator. V8rx7 is his IG name, I'm P_Harouni. I'm going to his house today to see the rest. I need to finish up the coolant reservoir and soldering the wires and solenoid sensors etc.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yep, I posted a few stuff and so did my fabricator. V8rx7 is his IG name, I'm P_Harouni. I'm going to his house today to see the rest. I need to finish up the coolant reservoir and soldering the wires and solenoid sensors etc.
    haha yup those were the names i saw. looks like a pretty nice setup !
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

haha yup those were the names i saw. looks like a pretty nice setup !
    Haha, thanks boss. Saw your stuff too. So do you have the manifold and everything with you?
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Haha as linracing said, moving stuff around is the easy part. Start doing fabrication, the annoying part will be the coolant and oil lines. They're push fit instead of NPT so it's harder to replicate etc. Just have money ready for anything to come into play.

That's why I'm leaving the fab work to a professional, haha. Saw the pictures of your setup on IG, looks good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

@fastgti69 do you have a part number for the 335d coolant reservoir? I may need that.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Haha, thanks boss. Saw your stuff too. So do you have the manifold and everything with you?
    Ya I've had it for awhile now and I'm just waiting on another part so I can start putting everything back together. I want to do everything right the first time so I've been taking my time with it
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    @fastgti69 do you have a part number for the 335d coolant reservoir? I may need that.
    I'll have one ordered tomorrow so I can post the part number.
    Any other oem parts I should get while I'm at it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll have one ordered tomorrow so I can post the part number.
    Any other oem parts I should get while I'm at it?
    Let us know ay, I'll be needing one soon!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

That's why I'm leaving the fab work to a professional, haha. Saw the pictures of your setup on IG, looks good.
    Thanks brotha!

I was trying to look for it, I remember @Eleventeen had the part number on his build on n54 tech.

Ya I've had it for awhile now and I'm just waiting on another part so I can start putting everything back together. I want to do everything right the first time so I've been taking my time with it
    Definitely brotha, i understand lol. I'm in the same position except yours isn't one off kit!
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

What's the reason you guys use the 335d coolant reservoir? Larger?
    E92 N54 3368lbs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge
    What's the reason you guys use the 335d coolant reservoir? Larger?
    It's located on the other side of the engine bay
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

It's located on the other side of the engine bay
    I just custom made a bracket that holds the power steering and the reservoir tank together on the other side. Still looks clean as hell.

I also cut the stock boost solenoid sensor plug and soldiered the mac solenoid. I made my own PNP harness so i didn't have to splice the factory wires up there a for a cleaner look I guess.

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast