Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Bad mileage with BB Flash??

Has anyone noticed an increase in has mileage since flashing their cars?

I went from 12.7L/100km to 16L/100km

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Why would it have anything to do with the BB flash? It has to do with what you flashed and your driving habits.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

My driving habits havnt changed. The only thing that is different is the backend flash. Using the bms race flash

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by triggz Click here to enlarge
    My driving habits havnt changed. The only thing that is different is the backend flash. Using the bms race flash
    Ok so you mean your mileage went down with the BMS backend maps and not with the BB Flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes that's what I meant.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Well if you're making more power it will require more fuel. Try different maps and if nothing changes to your liking I'd say flash back to stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    After dicking around with different maps, ethanol, etc, I found it incredibly important to reset air fuel learning, lambda, etc via Bavarian Tech for a few reasons, not least among them that my fuel mileage went up about 4 miles/gallon with no change in driving habits. My 2c 10 second theory is that all the data that the car has compiled to "learn" whatever it has learned is no longer applicable when you flash (esp if modifying fuel related settings or changing fuels) and the car wastes a lot of fuel fighting to correct itself adjusting. Remember, reflashing does not clear these values.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

I have heard from numerous people that that BMS backend flash combo with Jb4 results in horrible gas mileage. If you think about what Terry is doing its really not a surprise - he is mitigating the timing flat line issues on the 6AT by running ultra low load targets on the DME, but he has to raise the fuel scalar significantly to provide enough overhead fueling in the DME since it perceives such low load compared to actual. The 3D fuel scalar will help, but it is definitely not a perfect solution.
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

ive noticed the same thing. But when your running a race flash with high amounts of E85 all the time it is what it is. If I was concerned with fuel mileage I would have bought a prius.
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)

As long as I'm getting better gas mileage than my cobalt, I know I'm good LOL. Making 400whp+ and using a race file is not going to be conservative at all. So you should be familiar with how a race file would run, and in that sense using more gas lol.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    As long as I'm getting better gas mileage than my cobalt, I know I'm good LOL. Making 400whp+ and using a race file is not going to be conservative at all. So you should be familiar with how a race file would run, and in that sense using more gas lol.
    I don't have a problem with it. I was just curious if it's normal so that I can rule out possible issues with the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)

I don't have a problem with it. I was just curious if it's normal so that I can rule out possible issues with the car.
    No worries at all lol, Just make sure your injectors aren't leaking! LOL
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

No worries at all lol, Just make sure your injectors aren't leaking! LOL
    I don't have white smoke or the smell of gas and the car drives fine

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)

I don't have white smoke or the smell of gas and the car drives fine
    Just regular gas being used up then. I wouldn't worry too much.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

I made over 30mpg with the jb4 and backend flash on a 900 mile trip last week. I made nearly 36 for one tank but kept getting lean misfires and it was slow as crap. Basically I raised spool mode back to 3k rpm, adjusted my 3d scaler, leaned out low load/rpm tables until I was getting around 17:1 (16.2:1 targets, seems the dme has a minor lean cruise built in), and a bit more timing down there since flame speed decreases. The car seems to misfire leaner than 17.5:1. I also used the jb4 to open the default wastegate position as much as possible. I also kept the speed lowish.

One thing you need to make sure is that when you have the backend flash all the global afr values are zeros or else you'll run richer than your targets iirc, and also to reset all adaptations.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    I made over 30mpg with the jb4 and backend flash on a 900 mile trip last week. I made nearly 36 for one tank but kept getting lean misfires and it was slow as crap. Basically I raised spool mode back to 3k rpm, adjusted my 3d scaler, leaned out low load/rpm tables until I was getting around 17:1 (16.2:1 targets, seems the dme has a minor lean cruise built in), and a bit more timing down there since flame speed decreases. The car seems to misfire leaner than 17.5:1. I also used the jb4 to open the default wastegate position as much as possible. I also kept the speed lowish.

One thing you need to make sure is that when you have the backend flash all the global afr values are zeros or else you'll run richer than your targets iirc, and also to reset all adaptations.
    wouldnt it be easier to just burn an extra 30 bucks ? :-)
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i get 24mpg suburban daily driving fbo bms 93 flash/jb4 stack.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    wouldnt it be easier to just burn an extra 30 bucks ? :-)
    Yes it most definitely would. Initially I tried lowering load, lowering throttle response etc a LOT in the backend, leaning things out, wastegate logic changes etc. It was horrible to drive but got good fuel economy, that's where I got nearly 36. It was misfiring though and was annoying to drive so I kinda said $#@! it, it was not worth it. I didn't buy a goddamn Prius for a reason.

I re-mapped the backend I typically use and it's still doing great on the freeway and does well in the city with no loss of power. That was a much better way to go for me. It's not what I'd use for track days and will probably fail emissions for NOx but that's alright for my purposes. I'll port it to the BIN that Terry uses next weekend and you guys can feel free to try it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Valet mode or Map 0 usually worked well for me. Less temptation to play rough with the throttle when you know there is nothing there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Velocity26 Click here to enlarge
    Valet mode or Map 0 usually worked well for me. Less temptation to play rough with the throttle when you know there is nothing there.
    Pretty good suggestion for when you want to just drive around and aren't trying to get down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Pretty good suggestion for when you want to just drive around and aren't trying to get down.
    I always get down.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

I always get down.
    It's taking all my restraint to not flip this comment regarding your sister. Trying so hard.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's taking all my restraint to not flip this comment regarding your sister. Trying so hard.
    LOL $#@!er
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge

I am curious as to what the benefit of raising spool mode is? Mine was 2600 stock. Also when you are resetting the adaptations are you resetting via Jb4 1-7 or with a BT cable? Are you doing the reset every time you flash?

Thanks!
    E92 335is DCT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just to add another tidbit, I just upgraded my intercooler and my fuel mileage has gone way down. The only changes were ETS intercooler, boost and IAT gauges.

I know exactly why the gas mileage is down ... I have been watching the boost gauge go up a lot more often, so that I can monitor those cool IATs while running. No mystery here, time to put away the gauges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast