Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

My 135i build thread (lots of pics)

This is a bit of long one as I though I'd go through the full two years with my car via my photobucket account.
    In Feb 2012 I decided I wanted a 135i. I was initially looking for a white manual, but after driving a couple and seeing what was out there I ended up buying a blue DCT demo from the dealer. My last three cars have been blue so guess it was meant to be.

How it looked when I first got it.
    Click here to enlarge

My plan was to not mess with it too much but of course that quickly changed

Initially I just did a few cosmetic things
    Tint
    Polish and Opticoat

CF Front lip
    Click here to enlarge

Painted the stock diffuser black along with black line Tail lights and a gloss black spoiler
    Click here to enlarge

Gloss black kidney grilles
    Click here to enlarge

White angel eye globes
    Click here to enlarge

Also put in a P3 vent gauge which is a cool toy
    Click here to enlarge

Then I focused on suspension mods and installed BMW performance suspension kit along with M3 rear sub frame bushings, M3 front control arms and Dinan fixed camber plates. Made a massive difference to the car and got rid of the majority of the sloppiness.

I didn't touch the engine for a fair while, I took it to the drags bone stock and managed a 13.5 at 104.5 with a terrible 60'. The DCT can be hard to launch. It also won't let you get on the brake to do skids Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Along the way I also changed the wheels to a set of 19" Alufelgens with Michelin PSS
    Click here to enlarge

Which looked good but were probably the wrong choice
    Click here to enlarge

That was the result of the track (road course) night I went to, the car felt good but was let down by the driver and the wheels and tyres. I also changed the brake fluid and put in a set of Ferrodo DS2500s which I was initially happy with. It also gave me the bug and led to me now going to the track around once a month.

Along the way, I also took it out to a smaller track complex a few times which was fun.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

I then decided to get new wheels ( In something that will become a theme these took three months to arrive)
    Click here to enlarge

I got 18" Advan RZs with Advan AD08 rubber. Took them to the track the same day
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Good decision, car felt so much better than with the 19"s.

Next up was the engine mods. I decide to install
    JB4
    ER Chargepipe
    ER intercooler
    BMS catless downpipe
    Custom exhaust. (this was a mistake and I have gone through 3 different axlebacks)

• Magnaflow muffler, droned and whistled
    • Muffler delete, I loved it, wife hated it
    • Varex muffler, this is a straight through muffler which is valved so you can quiet it down

As is usual all the parts took over 3 months to get here.
    Did a before and after dyno.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

This is on a dyno dynamics which reads a lot lower than Dynojets.
    Car went from 230rwhp to 300rwhp. Definitely livened it up. I took it to the strip and time dropped to 12.7 at 110.97mph, still with a terrible 60'. Best time was actually done just walking it off the line, when I tried launch control I ran a 14 haha.
    Click here to enlarge

So with that extra power sorted it was time to slow it down (as usual these took 3 months to arrive).
    Click here to enlarge

This is one of the best mods I did to the car. It now stops consistently every time at the track. The Stoptech bridge design also means a mechanical retard like me can switch brake pads quickly and easily.

Along the way I went to a 2 day airport event that had 400m and 800m roll racing and a standing 1km event. It was massive fun even though I got flogged by nearly everything, there are a lot of very fast Japanese turbo imports here as well as the usual assortment of Holden V8(quite a few with superchargers or turbos) and Ford turbocharged straight sixes. Highest speed over the KM was actually taken out by a Ford Falcon with a 4.0L turbo straight six, fastest ET was a R32 Gtr with 500-700whp (depending on boost). I only managed a dismal ~220kmh (slower than what I was doing over 800m) as I was severely heat soaked after queuing up nearly 2 hours in the heat. They also had some cool exhibition runs, like a McLaren 12c racing a plane, and 12c racing an Aventador over 1km (12c won). I actually managed to race against the 12c over 800m, lost by about 400m haha
    Few pics, I am still finding red dust a year later.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Next up was better suspension, decided on Ohlins Road and Track. Ended up being a bit of $#@!ing around (about 3 months to fully sort out) as with the kit supplied springs the spring perch fouled on the tyre.
    Click here to enlarge

I ran it with spacers for a while but wasn't happy with that and ended up getting swift springs that were stiffer and 1" shorter which solved the problem.

Next was a WavetracLSD, (once again it took about 3 months to get here and arrived damaged). I bought it as a complete pumpkin assembled by Autotech (makers of Wavetrac) in the US. I installed that along with a DEFIV lockdown kit.
    Click here to enlarge

Made a huge difference to the stability of the car. The e-diff tugging at the brakes could really make the rear end unpredictable.

At the same time I took out the JB4, it was definitely fast but it made the car idle rough and sometimes stall, and it seemed to make the DCT slur shifts. I ran with out a tune for (you guessed it) around 3 months, as my Cobb AP took around that long to arrive. I am now in the process of finalising my E30 map with Pro Tuning Freaks. Doesn't feel quite as fast as when I was running E30 with the JB4 but definitely a whole lot smoother. I know this isn't that accurate but I did a bit of a comparison using Virtual Dyno, blue is JB4 Map5 using E30 mix, Red is Cobb PTF E30 map. JB4 runs less boost and more timing vs higher boost and lower timing with the Cobb.
    Click here to enlarge

Going to take it down to the drag strip tonight for a more accurate comparison.

Future plans for the car are a Vargas Turbo upgrade, which I ordered in the Black Friday sale at the end of November. But after seeing Terry's initial troubles tuning his car I didn't pay my deposit immediately, so Tony cancelled my discount. After a bit of back and forth I decided to go through with the order anyway. I am a little disappointed it is still not here as I was hoping to get it on in time for this years airport event which is in a few weeks. Seems that is par for the course when modifying this car though.

And if anyone is interested here a few track videos. I use Harry's lap timer on my iphone, with an external GPS, and run a cable through the car to a mic on the taped on the rear bumper
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BigNVeiny/videos

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Full mod list and a few random pics

Exterior
    Debadged
    Stock diffuser painted gloss black
    Kerscher CF front lip painted gloss black
    China ebay LMB boot spoiler
    35% tint
    Gloss black Kidney grille with M Sport stripes
    BMS 4-LED angel eyes
    Blackline LCI taillights

Interior
    P3 cars vent gauge

Wheels & Tyres
    Advan RZ
    front - 18x8 et45 with 225/40/18 Advan AD08R
    Rear - 18x9 et50 with 255/35/18 Advan AD08R
    Matt Schnell 75mm stud conversion
    Project Kics R40 extended Lug Nuts

Suspension
    Ohlins Road and Track coilovers
    Front: 7kg (392lb/in) 7" Swift Springs
    Rear: 12kg (672lb/in) 9" swift t springs
    Dinan Camber plates
    BMW Performance Front Sway Bar
    M3 front control arm kit
    M3 rear subframe bushings
    Active Autowerkes front strut bar

Drivetrain
    Wavetrac Torsen LSD
    DEFIV Diff Lockdown Kit

Brakes
    Front: Stoptech ST60 kit with 355mm x 32mm slotted front rotors
    with Stoptech Street performance pads (street) Endless ME20 pads(track)
    Rear: Ferodo DS2500 pads
    BMW F30 backing plates
    Castrol SRF fluid

Engine

Cobb AP, PTF custom maps
    BMS catless downpipe
    Evolution Racewerks Front Mount Intercooler
    Evolution Racewerks Chargepipe
    Custom Exhaust with Dual 2.5" resonated mid pipes, Varex rear section.
    K&N drop in filter
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice dude!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good looking car and mod list. Paint is beautiful.

Why the M colors on the grille though? They don't belong. It's a weird fad but on a non-M it makes even less sense.

That said I'm not trying to take anything away as it's a great looking car and well modified.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just thought the M colours looked cool, and strangely it is the one thing I get the most comments on. Everyone loves them.

Also wanted to comment that after many hard street and track kms the only thing that has broken is the water pump, which happens pretty regularly on stock cars as well.
    It happened while at the track, I was a bit concerned about getting the car towed from outside the racetrack (complete with stuck on bits of rubber and straight pipes) to the dealership. They fixed it under warranty no problem. The manager of the dealership had a 135i race car with 1M widebody so I ended up sitting in his office talking about what I should do to my car next haha.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great looking car Nugs. What tracks did you head to in Perth? AHG, Barbagallo? Keen as mustard to start taking my bimmer to the track when I'm home from work, so if you've got any tips/advice to share on track days in Perth or the southwest that'd be awesome.

Cheers!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    I just thought the M colours looked cool, and strangely it is the one thing I get the most comments on. Everyone loves them.

Also wanted to comment that after many hard street and track kms the only thing that has broken is the water pump, which happens pretty regularly on stock cars as well.
    It happened while at the track, I was a bit concerned about getting the car towed from outside the racetrack (complete with stuck on bits of rubber and straight pipes) to the dealership. They fixed it under warranty no problem. The manager of the dealership had a 135i race car with 1M widebody so I ended up sitting in his office talking about what I should do to my car next haha.
    One great West Aussie and car

Can you swing by Triggs Beach sometime and take a pic of the car and the beach in the background, I'm home-sick
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow, great build man, I just wish I had the money to do all that to my car.

So you preferred the Cobb AP to the JB4? I just JB4'd my N54 and had a hard time deciding if I wanted to go with the Cobb AP or with the JB4. Went with the JB4 because the Cobb was about double the price in the end and everyone seems to swear by the JB4.

Have the Cobb AP on my RX8 but of course they don't come with a lot of tuning capabilities stock so it doesn't make a whole lot noticeable of a difference.
    E90 335i - JB4 | DCI
    E60 535i - Sport Pkg
    07 Rx-8 - Catless MP, Tuned, Sway Bars
    BMW Performance Parts

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by imola_shaun Click here to enlarge
    Great looking car Nugs. What tracks did you head to in Perth? AHG, Barbagallo? Keen as mustard to start taking my bimmer to the track when I'm home from work, so if you've got any tips/advice to share on track days in Perth or the southwest that'd be awesome.

Cheers!!
    I go to

• AHG track for practice days and the State Sprint Championship.
    • Barbagallo with No Limits Car Club on Thursday nights.
    • Collie track days with Antilag.
    • Speedvale Dome Days with Track Daze.

Happy to chat if you have any more questions.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge

Can you swing by Triggs Beach sometime and take a pic of the car and the beach in the background, I'm home-sick
    Thanks mate, I'll see what I can do. I'll be in New York next year, maybe I should make time to go the Hamptons for a ride in the Porsche Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AGP1328 Click here to enlarge
    Wow, great build man, I just wish I had the money to do all that to my car.

So you preferred the Cobb AP to the JB4? I just JB4'd my N54 and had a hard time deciding if I wanted to go with the Cobb AP or with the JB4. Went with the JB4 because the Cobb was about double the price in the end and everyone seems to swear by the JB4.

Have the Cobb AP on my RX8 but of course they don't come with a lot of tuning capabilities stock so it doesn't make a whole lot noticeable of a difference.
    JB4 has a lot of awesome features but it just didn't play well with my car.
    If it works well for you I would keep it, and seeing as you have a N54 you may as well load a backend flash using the bimmer boost flash. There are lots of more knowledgable people than I in the N54 sub forum who can help you with that.

Few changes since my last update

• Went back to straight pipes.
    • Got the Vargas Stage 2 turbo on.
    • Also installed M3 rear arms, Megan Racing Toe arms and a Walbro E85 fuel pump.
    • Finished my PTF pump gas map.
    • Going to a local tuner this Friday to do my e85 map on the dyno.

Also these arrived yesterday
    Click here to enlarge

Genuine TE37s in size/offsets to suit a 1 series are not very common.
    They are light as hell and the colour is awesome, but annoyingly they powdercoated everything so I need to scrape some of it off as they don't fit onto the hubs due to the thickness of the powdercoat.
    Was planning to use razor blades and sandpaper unless someone has better suggestions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cant say I've seen TE37's on a 1-series yet, excited to see how they look once you get them on the ground.

I would think sandpaper would do the trick, just gotta be careful enough to not sand the wrong area accidentally.
    E90 335i - JB4 | DCI
    E60 535i - Sport Pkg
    07 Rx-8 - Catless MP, Tuned, Sway Bars
    BMW Performance Parts

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AGP1328 Click here to enlarge
    Cant say I've seen TE37's on a 1-series yet, excited to see how they look once you get them on the ground.

I would think sandpaper would do the trick, just gotta be careful enough to not sand the wrong area accidentally.
    Agreed! Great choice, and can't wait to see the finished product. What size / offsets did you get? And how much do they weigh?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Haven't weighed them but they are very light. They are
    18x8.5 et35
    18x9.5 et50
    Having some issues so won't have them mounted for a while.

I test fit the front and they looked like they will fit well.

Click here to enlarge

Then I couldn't get them off.
    I eventually got them off but it looks like the fronts were originally for a much larger hub bore and someone has welded in rings to bring them down to 72.6mm.
    And the weld broke in the process of getting them off the hub.

Click here to enlarge

Has anyone seen this before and is it an issue?
    Makes me very hesitant to mount them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Welding metal hubrings into an aluminum rim?
    Highly unlikely.
    Isn't it just that they were left in when the rims were powdercoated?
    And you worked them loose because of the thickness of the powdercoat on the inside of the ring?
    What you see as "welded" is probably a thick layer of powdercoat.

Just scrape or sand the powdercoat of the hubrings, and I think you'll be fine.
    As long as they're snug in the rim and the diameter is correct on the inside it will work.
    Or order new hubrings (without the powdercoat) and tap these out of the rims.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had a closer look and I think you are 100% correct David.
    I will scrape off the powdercoat and try fitting them again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge

Not quite what you wanted as I was in the wife's car.
    But it was lovely up at Trigg yesterday, 23c and sunny. Not bad for winter.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    this thread needs more pics of TE37's mounted...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tomorrow Click here to enlarge
    Getting all the powdercoat off the mounting areas was a pain in the ass, but they fit on the hubs now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Still waiting....j/k

Rears will fit no worries, not sure what sort of camber you get with your combo but we run exactly the same setup except I have camber plates and with 2.5 deg of camber I fit the +35 no worries, scrubbed once so far under hard undulating corner. Slight roll/pull will probably fix it but I'm not going to worry about it...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Will be waiting a while.
    The front two weren't perfectly round, so I am getting them fixed and repainted. The seller is claiming it happened in shipping but that is bull$#@!. It looks like they have been badly repaired previously.
    Strangely the rear two looked brand new.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well that sucks, hope it's not too bad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    Not quite what you wanted as I was in the wife's car.
    But it was lovely up at Trigg yesterday, 23c and sunny. Not bad for winter.
    http://www.germanboost.com/images/im..._zps0eih-1.jpg
    My kids live 2 streets up from the beach on Floyd St.

Thx for the pics... any Noah's Arks of the great white variety been spotted there this winter !
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Threw up a video from a track night last week, was raining on and off all night but still good fun.

And this is what it looks like at the end of the back straight from the outside Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The photo with the front rotors glowing is sick!

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I love my brakes Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So went to the track tonight and had a good night apart from ending up in the sand.

Time for a new front lip.

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast