Close

Thread: help with vrsf intercooler

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Exclamation help with vrsf intercooler

hey guys going to pick up a vrsf intercooler in a week or so and im on the fence about the 5in and 7 in versions.

the 7in is out of stock and takes more work to install than the 5in.

my car has jb4 g5iso dci bms race at backend flash and I run about 35% e85/93 mix or e35 and next mod is the walboro fuel pump upgrade kit.

im not at the drags every week end maybe once a month but my iat's jump up a lot on quick runs with the oem ic.

would I be good with the 5in version?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

5in will be just fine unless you live in a super hot climate or plan on upgrading turbos down the road.

FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1609 Post(s)

Is there a big price difference between the two? If the 7 is better...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

30 buck but there always out of stock

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

theres a 30 buck difference but the 7in is always out of stock

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1609 Post(s)

I guess it's as simple as if you can find it in stock go for it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Go with the larger core unless you absolutely cannot be bothered to wait it out. With stock frame turbos, the pressure drop will be near unperceivable on this platform. And a good 7” will set you up down the road so much better, even very efficient 5” cores heatsoak pretty quickly. The 7” will handle any power level that this platform is currently capable of making.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA3586r Tial .82AR/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMWP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've been happy with my 5" VRSF, but then again I live in Wisconsin, so YMMV.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting this question has come up as I find myself in the same boat. I was planning on ordering the 7", but living in MN and driving this vehicle year round much of the time,I was afraid that may be a bad idea and that I should go with the 5".

Any potential trouble I should be aware of running a larger FMIC in cooler climates?
    2010 E90 335i xDrive
    JB4 G5 ISO | BMS DCI | BMS OCC | Alpina Flash | LED Angel Eyes | Matte Black Kidney Grills | growing list....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jaxon Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting this question has come up as I find myself in the same boat. I was planning on ordering the 7", but living in MN and driving this vehicle year round much of the time,I was afraid that may be a bad idea and that I should go with the 5".

Any potential trouble I should be aware of running a larger FMIC in cooler climates?
    I run the HPF intercooler in northern Canada. Aside from having $#@! for traction during the winter months, there's no issue.

The only time a larger FMIC really comes into play is during long pulls where it can get heatsoaked.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

7" if you are going to play with pump gas in hot climates. For E85 use the 5" is sufficient, better in some ways. Although you run a low mix so it's sort of a wash but I still wouldn't rate one over the other for you. The install difficulty isn't really major, removing the OEM clamps is harder than cutting for the extra 2".

I have the 7" and I'm kinda glad I went with it because I've been without E85 a while now.

There is no downside to a larger IC in cooler climates other than the usual downsides of a larger IC- more pressure drop. Although it's less useful in a cool climate than in a desert, it's not going to hurt anything if that's your question.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I bought the 7" VRSF, but they went out of stock, so I went with the AMS 6,5" core Click here to enlarge got the best support from mike@N54tuning.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the OP isn't the only one that benefited from this thread then. Thanks fellas! Thinking I'll put a pre-order in for the later delivery of the 7" VRSF. I was originally looking at the AMS, but just can't justify the price delta for no perceivable performance gain.
    2010 E90 335i xDrive
    JB4 G5 ISO | BMS DCI | BMS OCC | Alpina Flash | LED Angel Eyes | Matte Black Kidney Grills | growing list....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

or wait. Isn't he coming out with a 5'' & 7'' stepped design? That would be the best option as frontal face area > depth
    E92 Bren Tune
    E90 PTF Tune

Mod lists are for the weak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

is frontal face area beneficial though when its tucked up behind the bumper cover/license plate area? I choose the 7" because its the biggest that fits AND takes in full fresh air.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

i'm fbo run map 7 with lots of e85 and have never had any heat soak even in 90-100 degree summer heat with the 7". and i mean doing 5-10 continuous 60-130 runs. it fits like a piece of $#@! and looks like a piece of $#@! and tiago is a piece of $#@! but it performs great Click here to enlarge
    BSM 2008 135i N54
    -VRSF 7" IC -VRSF DP's -n55 mids -BERK race -ER CP -TIAL BOV -BMS DCI -JB4 G5 ISO -ST coils -STOPTECH slotted rotors & pads -SLeK lip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by camberadam Click here to enlarge
    is frontal face area beneficial though when its tucked up behind the bumper cover/license plate area? I choose the 7" because its the biggest that fits AND takes in full fresh air.
    My answer is 100% yes. ICs act link heat sinks, they soak up the heat 1st and transfer it to the outside air second.

Most ICs aren't 5'' let alone 7'' deep from my experience. As front facial area has been proven more important than depth this makes sense. I have seen plenty of high hp supras(and plenty of other cars) with part of their IC blocked by the front bumper. Just because it is semi blocked doesn't mean it isn't adding cooling, especially at speed. Again it's probably better to think of it like a heat sink.

You could always build a small duct if you were worried. Also, with the stepped ICs, I don't believe much, if any, of the IC is block by the front bumper(if your license plate is in the way it's cheap to move it). The Big tom has 3-4'' blocked out of like 12 and you can buy ducting for that...

You can google and read more about it...either way anything is better than stock.
    E92 Bren Tune
    E90 PTF Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    My answer is 100% yes. ICs act link heat sinks, they soak up the heat 1st and transfer it to the outside air second.

Most ICs aren't 5'' let alone 7'' deep from my experience. As front facial area has been proven more important than depth this makes sense. I have seen plenty of high hp supras(and plenty of other cars) with part of their IC blocked by the front bumper. Just because it is semi blocked doesn't mean it isn't adding cooling, especially at speed. Again it's probably better to think of it like a heat sink.

You could always build a small duct if you were worried. Also, with the stepped ICs, I don't believe much, if any, of the IC is block by the front bumper(if your license plate is in the way it's cheap to move it). The Big tom has 3-4'' blocked out of like 12 and you can buy ducting for that...

You can google and read more about it...either way anything is better than stock.
    i do agree that anything is better than stock & can see your point about it acting more like a "heat sink", never thought of that angle. keep in mind too when thinking of high hp supras they are also flowing alot more cfm. i have a buddy that owns 1 & he said a reason they go bigger is because it becomes a bottleneck to flow over 800ish hp.

looking at these pics (which btw whoever installed it did a nice job welding tabs/bungs for mounts) w/ all other things equal, i just cant see much MORE benefit to additional front surface area. the car has a pan from firewall to bumper cover, the ONLY cool/fresh air is coming in from that valance.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by camberadam; 03-21-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by camberadam Click here to enlarge
    i do agree that anything is better than stock & can see your point about it acting more like a "heat sink", never thought of that angle. keep in mind too when thinking of high hp supras they are also flowing alot more cfm. i have a buddy that owns 1 & he said a reason they go bigger is because it becomes a bottleneck to flow over 800ish hp.

looking at these pics (which btw whoever installed it did a nice job welding tabs/bungs for mounts) w/ all other things equal, i just cant see much MORE benefit to additional front surface area. the car has a pan from firewall to bumper cover, the ONLY cool/fresh air is coming in from that valance.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...sc0528tm-1.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...dsc0527o-1.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...dsc0535n-1.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...dsc0520c-1.jpg
    www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Co de=KIT-N55-E9-IC0047-E9&Category_Code=ICKBMW <--comes with the brackets and ducting. You can also order the 4'' deep version as well for like $40 more I think. If I went single I would upgrade to this.

Going with the heatsink idea you only need to cool part of an IC from my understanding. Unless I am mistaken the reason for the step is for a larger frontal area & install.
    Last edited by Torgus; 03-21-2014 at 05:16 PM.
    E92 Bren Tune
    E90 PTF Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wescuddles Click here to enlarge
    i'm fbo run map 7 with lots of e85 and have never had any heat soak even in 90-100 degree summer heat with the 7". and i mean doing 5-10 continuous 60-130 runs. it fits like a piece of $#@! and looks like a piece of $#@! and tiago is a piece of $#@! but it performs great Click here to enlarge
    LOL

Repped for passive aggressive positive results.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    LOL

Repped for passive aggressive positive results.
    i'm glad someone found humor in my post haha
    BSM 2008 135i N54
    -VRSF 7" IC -VRSF DP's -n55 mids -BERK race -ER CP -TIAL BOV -BMS DCI -JB4 G5 ISO -ST coils -STOPTECH slotted rotors & pads -SLeK lip