Close

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    No that's using a max performance option.
    AWD is considered a performance option.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Legionofboom Click here to enlarge
    Maximum traction I think you mean.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Is that why mustangs, corvettes, and camaros all come in AWD?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Is that why mustangs, corvettes, and camaros all come in AWD? Oh, and M3, M4, and M5, and M6?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids!
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Is that why mustangs, corvettes, and camaros all come in AWD? Oh, and M3, M4, and M5, and M6?
    Only Gallardo's, GTRs and R8's I guess, and ofc 335's (the car we're talking about here)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Only Gallardo's, GTRs and R8's I guess, and ofc 335's (the car we're talking about here)
    Don't forget Audi RS models. I'm with ya, for more streetable tire setups and traction AWD is great, but not on the highway. 2WD Gallardo conversions are somewhat common too

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

AWD > * on the street once you start making power. Even on my slow 500wtq i, traction is a constant issue even on hwy rolls.It's kind of annoying actually.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

A single big turbo option can be just as quick as any twin setup from a dig any day. If anything it causes less stress on the car under launch not needin as much boost. However, the car will see great gains from a dialed in auto setup over any manual setup. With a proper stalled auto, suspension work and the right tire you can't even say a twin setup is better specifically for launching over a single setup.

The issue I see here and why you all want to argue about it is that there simply isn't enough cars with these setups to get a good comparison.

A 1.8 60 ft time is pretty decent for a car with irs, however not all that great. But if your car isn't setup for drag then I would say it's extremely good. What tires where you running btw?

For those who there main concern was traction one of the first things you would do would be to put on some smaller wheels and a taller drag radial, but since most of you guys wants larger rims your clearly not drag racing every day which is totally fine. I don't see these cars as drag cars anyways.

As for legionofboom, your clearly and idiot if you think ad is the answer to any type of drag racing. There is a reason why gallardo's and even some gtr's are lossing the front suspension. The weight savings is better for the car then the traction. You can get any amount of hp to hook with the right setup.

I do love though that most of your are in your own little world's though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Fast Willy Click here to enlarge
    A single big turbo option can be just as quick as any twin setup from a dig any day. If anything it causes less stress on the car under launch not needin as much boost. However, the car will see great gains from a dialed in auto setup over any manual setup. With a proper stalled auto, suspension work and the right tire you can't even say a twin setup is better specifically for launching over a single setup.

The issue I see here and why you all want to argue about it is that there simply isn't enough cars with these setups to get a good comparison.

A 1.8 60 ft time is pretty decent for a car with irs, however not all that great. But if your car isn't setup for drag then I would say it's extremely good. What tires where you running btw?

For those who there main concern was traction one of the first things you would do would be to put on some smaller wheels and a taller drag radial, but since most of you guys wants larger rims your clearly not drag racing every day which is totally fine. I don't see these cars as drag cars anyways.

As for legionofboom, your clearly and idiot if you think ad is the answer to any type of drag racing. There is a reason why gallardo's and even some gtr's are lossing the front suspension. The weight savings is better for the car then the traction. You can get any amount of hp to hook with the right setup.

I do love though that most of your are in your own little world's though.
    Thanks, you just told everyone what they already know. Now give us data on a 335 instead of telling us to run 325/50/15 MTs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Thanks, you just told everyone what they already know. Now give us data on a 335 instead of telling us to run
    325/50/15 MTs
    I don't own a 335 or a BMW for that matter. I just think it's funny what people like you have turned this thread into.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Went to the track tonight, ran three runs, best 60 ft was 2.51 leaving in first. Car did not like even attempting 2nd gear. Was able to do a short 1st gear burnout in the box though lol. Anyway, car is running good for the most part right now. Traps were 120-122 on the three runs, not bad all things considered.

Can't wait for the built trans to get in along with LSD, lockdown kit, and higher stall TC. @Terry@BMS have you made to the strip yet with that 3500 stall? Interested to see how that works out. Anything being done on the tuning side to allow the higher stall launches or is it all good as is?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    AWD > * on the street once you start making power. Even on my slow 500wtq i, traction is a constant issue even on hwy rolls.It's kind of annoying actually.
    Highway -> Street.

How safely can you put down big HP no matter what at a stoplight? What speeds can you hit? How safe is it really?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Good tyres and suspension do help... Michelin Super pilot sport 265 in the rear and suspension + lsd = lots of traction...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Highway -> Street.

How safely can you put down big HP no matter what at a stoplight? What speeds can you hit? How safe is it really?
    I'm not talking about launch, I'm talking about being able to mash it at 40mph (or under 80-90) and not light 'me up. You can always add power, but usable 24x7 grip is at a premium (not counting slicks which don't last).

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RTA Click here to enlarge
    Good tyres and suspension do help... Michelin Super pilot sport 265 in the rear and suspension + lsd = lots of traction...
    I have PSS+suspension+LSD and they still spin. Maybe you need more tq/pwr? :-p

Until then, that's what I have the 17" DRs for.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

I'm not talking about launch, I'm talking about being able to mash it at 40mph (or under 80-90) and not light 'me up. You can always add power, but usable 24x7 grip is at a premium (not counting slicks which don't last).

You have a 335i with these issues? Are you trying to race in the rain? Do you have Stage 2 turbos? Just seems odd, I don't think many others are having all these traction issues, but then again doesn't seem like too many people with Stage 2 turbos post much real info on performance and what they have going on considering how many of you there are.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Highway -> Street.

But typically we don't run anywhere near a city or town, we go way to the middle of nowhere, where there isn't any ditches, medians or sidewalks/trees. It's as safe as it's going to be, I would even say close to as safe as runway events.

Typically they run to 110-130 or whatever you trap or just when the other person lifts.

Lets really be honest, the most dangerous thing we can do in our cars is drive through a city in rush hour, so many opportunities for other people to hit you.

Spinning stock turbo's from a roll is impressive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

For what its worth, our shop car has, 275 PSS, lockdown kit, LSD, and coilovers. 1-3 are basically useless, well 3rd will not light up but on a perfectlly dry road they will slip a little as the tq comes in. We are making 620WTQ by 3700 though. Also AWD is amazing, look at GTR, 911's, etc. But even porsche removes it for its race built RS models. Also launch and traction really do not show up in trap speed, only etc. If you are trapping 120, your car is making stock turbo power, in the form of a big single. You need to address tuning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

But typically we don't run anywhere near a city or town, we go way to the middle of nowhere, where there isn't any ditches, medians or sidewalks/trees. It's as safe as it's going to be, I would even say close to as safe as runway events.
    That's definitely better. Big difference between that and running somebody with a bunch of pedestrians around on a city street for example.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I'm talking about being able to mash it at 40mph (or under 80-90) and not light 'me up. You can always add power, but usable 24x7 grip is at a premium (not counting slicks which don't last).
    Well maybe a setup with less low end torque and more high end horsepower makes sense then...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    For what its worth, our shop car has, 275 PSS, lockdown kit, LSD, and coilovers. 1-3 are basically useless, well 3rd will not light up but on a perfectlly dry road they will slip a little as the tq comes in. We are making 620WTQ by 3700 though. Also AWD is amazing, look at GTR, 911's, etc. But even porsche removes it for its race built RS models. Also launch and traction really do not show up in trap speed, only etc. If you are trapping 120, your car is making stock turbo power, in the form of a big single. You need to address tuning.

well I'm running a shorter track since it's so slow out off the line, in my log I sat at 1500RPM and had to launch from there, and in 1st gear, so lots of track wasted before really starting the run, basically time slip was identical to Ak335i's 20psi run. Boost will be raised and tune worked on this week when I get some time. Biggest thing was just getting the car out and running properly and having all 3 passes go well with no hiccups, could really have cared less about results.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

well I'm running a shorter track since it's so slow out off the line, in my log I sat at 1500RPM and had to launch from there, and in 1st gear, so lots of track wasted before really starting the run, basically time slip was identical to Ak335i's 20psi run. Boost will be raised and tune worked on this week when I get some time. Biggest thing was just getting the car out and running properly and having all 3 passes go well with no hiccups, could really have cared less about results.
    I think we are all just glad your car is running and ready for the next step!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

I think we are all just glad your car is running and ready for the next step!
    for sure, I don't think as happy I am though! haha

As for stock turbo cars... anyone who thinks they can keep up on stock or stage 2 turbos from a roll please message me, I'll be more than happy to to give you a shot Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

You have a 335i with these issues? Are you trying to race in the rain? Do you have Stage 2 turbos? Just seems odd, I don't think many others are having all these traction issues, but then again doesn't seem like too many people with Stage 2 turbos post much real info on performance and what they have going on considering how many of you there are.
    I have stock turbos but with 6MT. I think these issues are common for maxed-out stockers and manual (such is my theory anyway). I can only imagine with 200 more whp will be like Click here to enlarge

Here is a dyno thread: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...al-Update-Dyno

Sorry for the hijack. Hopefully you get your car dialed-in soon. Do you have any logs of your runs?
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

I have stock turbos but with 6MT. I think these issues are common for maxed-out stockers and manual (such is my theory anyway). I can only imagine with 200 more whp will be like Click here to enlarge

Here is a dyno thread: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...al-Update-Dyno

Sorry for the hijack. Hopefully you get your car dialed-in soon. Do you have any logs of your runs?

I was putting down ~430whp on 93+ meth stock turbos (stock baseline on the dyno was 271), didn't dyno after I started using e85 too. I never had issues with traction to be honest, and up to 24 psi from a 30 roll haven't had issues with the single turbo either. I will say I had issues with traction on stock turbos and stock tires, but once I put on some BFG G force DR's all was good. On stock turbos I would launch at ~16-17 psi tire pressure and only slipped a little if track was getting slick. We'll see what happens when I start turning up the boost in the next week or so. I just really don't get how you're having traction issues from a roll on stock turbos...unless the tires just plain suck.

Click here to enlarge

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast