Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

F10 M5 BMS Tune Help?!

Hey everyone,
    i just traded in my m3 two weeks ago for a 2014 M5 and am about to begin the modding. Besides minor cosmetics, downpipes + tune is a necessity. I am leaning toward the BMS piggyback.

When doing some research a month or so ago I thought I remembered reading issues people were having when WOT with downpipes + BMS piggyback. Something about the fuel getting cut off but maybe I'm mistaken. Can someone shed some light on this or any negatives to look out for with this potential setup? I just had my first service done today and am eager to step up the power game.

Thanks in advance!
    ​2014 F10 M5 Competition Alpine White / Sakhir Orange
    Undercover Custom Downpipes & Connector. BMS Stage 1. IND Cosmetics. OEM CF Perf Spoiler.

E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Our tuning is working flawlessly. At the last shift sector we had 4-5 M5s doing repeated runs to 140mph without issue. Including our development 2014 M5.

Some cars appear to throw a code at higher RPM with downpipes though. Those who have the problem are not sophisticated enough yet to read the codes with a BT cable so they just troll around the forums complaining they have codes. Some day one of them will read the code and then hopefully that will lead to a fix.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow that was fast, thanks Terry! Problem addressed.

Would these codes be taken care of with the can tool you guys offer to address the CEL from the downpipes?
    Undercover Custom Downpipes & Connector. BMS Stage 1. IND Cosmetics. OEM CF Perf Spoiler.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nope, that does not disable the CEL system. Only purges annoyance codes. Real codes continue to show a light. Generally if you get a code your car is broken and something needs to be fixed.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There's no rhyme or reason to these codes? Just some cars? Or something wrong with their particular cars?

This is the first I have heard of this.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Okay so if my car shows a code at higher rpm it'll stick around and I should just send the code over to you for further evaluation? Seems to be an isolated issue...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NikB316 Click here to enlarge
    Okay so if my car shows a code at higher rpm it'll stick around and I should just send the code over to you for further evaluation? Seems to be an isolated issue...
    Any time you get a code you should read it with a BT cable.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry, still, I don't understand. What is causing these codes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    He said a bunch of trolls. Nobodys actually come forward with codes to diagnose the issue properly.

It's probably some yokels running 87 octane gas and wondering why it's misfiring at 6k rpm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135Hoser Click here to enlarge
    He said a bunch of trolls. Nobodys actually come forward with codes to diagnose the issue properly.

It's probably some yokels running 87 octane gas and wondering why it's misfiring at 6k rpm.
    But it only happens with downpipes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't know what the codes are as they won't read them. But the 2-3 guys I've heard of who have this issue are running downpipes, have it come up with the stock tune, and it comes at high speeds like 130mph. I'm not sure if all have the CP but I know at least 2 do. The CP runs overly rich up top which may be to blame. But until an enthusiast starts having the issue who knows..
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I don't know what the codes are as they won't read them. But the 2-3 guys I've heard of who have this issue are running downpipes, have it come up with the stock tune, and it comes at high speeds like 130mph. I'm not sure if all have the CP but I know at least 2 do. The CP runs overly rich up top which may be to blame. But until an enthusiast starts having the issue who knows..
    Ok I hear you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I have the CP. Hopefully I won't encounter this issue but I'll be sure to read the codes if it happens. I'm sure if it was happening to all or a lot of the guys with the CP there would be more posted on it, but then again the community isn't exactly big. I'm assuming some of the guys that were running had the CP?

Looking forward to seeing how the car runs once done up!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I *may* be experiencing this now. It's either this or my CAN tool isn't working. Last week I had my DPs installed with can tool (no BMS tune yet). I drove about 1k miles without any CEL but today the CEL symbol on my dash came on however no warning came on the I drive and under check control messages it says everything is fine. I don't know exactly when it came on as I said I didn't hear anything and no big warning came on. Does anyone know if in the other cases I don't have a BT cable but can purchase one. In the meantime I'm sure a code read by my dealer would help? I can swing by there tomorrow. I guess if it's emissions related it's the CAN not functioning but if something else it could be this...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I *may* be experiencing this now. It's either this or my CAN tool isn't working. Last week I had my DPs installed with can tool (no BMS tune yet). I drove about 1k miles without any CEL but today the CEL symbol on my dash came on however no warning came on the I drive and under check control messages it says everything is fine. I don't know exactly when it came on as I said I didn't hear anything and no big warning came on. Does anyone know if in the other cases I don't have a BT cable but can purchase one. In the meantime I'm sure a code read by my dealer would help? I can swing by there tomorrow. I guess if it's emissions related it's the CAN not functioning but if something else it could be this...
    Since you deleted your cats I take it it takes some time for the CEL to come on. It's no big deal and the car should run just fine.

Don't go to your dealer. They will know you have pipes. They aren't your friends. They want to screw you over.

Just delete the code if it bothers you with a tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sticky,
    The issue is that the CAN tool I bought and have plugged in is supposed to take care of the CEL from coming on. It only purges "annoyance codes" as Terry stated above...such as the emissions code from DPs. So now with the CEL on it means that either my car has an actual problem (as Terry mentioned above it doesn't disable the CEL system so a light would mean something besides an annoyance) or that the CAN tool isn't functioning properly. The only way to find out what's going on is by finding what exact codes are coming up. If it's not emissions codes than this may be the problem that some CP guys are experiencing although from what I recall that was more of the car going into limp mode or something more serious.

I'm lucky enough to have an awesome relationship with my dealer. They kept my warranty AND maintenance program on my AA supercharged M3! They even went above and beyond that at certain times...no need for details Click here to enlarge.

All about building the right relationship. I have two very local dealerships I woke with and they are not only cool with my mods but love seeing them! It helps that one of the techs is a huge enthusiast and has some some crazy e30 builds.

I've stopped by on several occasions for them to just check codes when I was having O2 sensor issues with the AA kit and when I wanted to get adaptations cleared.

As I would prefer to do this on my own, do you guys know if this BT cable / software can clear DME & DCT adaptations? I believe this would be useful to do granted I wasn't driving hard during break in period and now I would want everything to adapt to hard driving. Is there something else better/cheaper that does the same thing? I vaguely remember missing out on a group buy for something similar that was very inexpensive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx would just need the basic kit?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm lucky enough to have an awesome relationship with my dealer. They kept my warranty AND maintenance program on my AA supercharged M3! They even went above and beyond that at certain times...no need for details
    Well then, by all means. My dealer throws rocks at me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx would just need the basic kit?
    I don't see F10 under supported though?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The dealer will be cool until you become a PITA. Sticky.... what did you do? lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMWJunkie Click here to enlarge
    Sticky.... what did you do?
    Just was myself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'll call BT tomorrow as I didn't see F10 supported as well. I figured maybe it wasn't listed but with Terry mentioning BT cable it should work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'll call BT tomorrow as I didn't see F10 supported as well. I figured maybe it wasn't listed but with Terry mentioning BT cable it should work.
    Let us know what they say.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BT w/ beta software works great with the F10 including M5, 550, etc.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey guys, so these are the codes I am throwing:

Appears my CAN tool isn't working then, correct?

Question with the CAN tool - do all codes need to be cleared prior to plugging it in for it to work? I would assume not but I did drive with it unplugged the other day for literally 5 seconds (backing it up) and then the CEL came on the next day at some point.

Your guys help is much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast