Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EMAIL FROM ZF

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

EMAIL FROM ZF

This has been the only guy to even entertain on helping me. Everyone else has just NO cant do it! It's something to look at for those who maybe have shop like ABR or Sammy. He states that the x5 uses the same hp21 but being that it's a SUV good chance it might work as it's been mentioned before.

Today at 7:54 AM
    Any place the N54 is used will provide a good swap, unfortunately the X5 with N54 also uses the 6HP21. I’m not knowledgeable with BMW bell housing to block configurations. Check if the shape of the bell for a N54 is the same as other larger engines. If yes you may be able to use that model 6HP28 transmission.. The mechatronics from a 6HP21 will bolt to a 28 as long as the 28 does not use a electronic park control or shift by wire setup. As for the software your on your own, can’t provide any help as nothing has been configured to do what you are attempting.

Steve

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Would seem to confirm the worst, they have no ability or desire to make alterations to the TCU and mechatronics. Until that happens, we’re shooting in the dark and hoping that shims and whatnot will do the job. What we really need is for Terry to do his standard and awesome testing of the LVL10 build whenever that happens. Then we’ll know what fails, when it fails, why it fails, and what to do about it.

The bone stock trans is pretty damn good, I’m strongly of the mind that it’s software we need to tackle. The hardware is the “easy” part relatively speaking.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can tell you right now, the LVL 10 tranny is going to take a little more abuse than a stock tranny and then fail. How much more abuse, no one quite knows. But I cant imagine they are doing anything much different than when the Vishnu guys did this and the thing lasted 7 pulls at like 600WTQ. Until the hardware AND software can be fixed its all moot. This is like bolting a set of upgraded turbos on your car with no way to tune it, the engine will be a little more efficient but you really aren't seeing much of the benefits.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I can tell you right now, the LVL 10 tranny is going to take a little more abuse than a stock tranny and then fail. How much more abuse, no one quite knows. But I cant imagine they are doing anything much different than when the Vishnu guys did this and the thing lasted 7 pulls at like 600WTQ. Until the hardware AND software can be fixed its all moot. This is like bolting a set of upgraded turbos on your car with no way to tune it, the engine will be a little more efficient but you really aren't seeing much of the benefits.
    I'm inclined to agree sadly.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    But yet the ford and there 6hp26 is doing just fine hardware and software changes. Exedy makes a friction set for them that holds 1000hp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 07Tundra Click here to enlarge
    But yet the ford and there 6hp26 is doing just fine hardware and software changes. Exedy makes a friction set for them that holds 1000hp.
    That's cause SCT hacked the "back door" and has access to the tuning for the 6hp26 and of course the Ford versions 6r60 and 6r80. Hoping they can crack the hp21 as well. May be worth a try contacting them, but I would have no idea who/where to start. I'll ask my Ford friend though.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Something has to be done this is horse$#@!!..lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    That's cause SCT hacked the "back door" and has access to the tuning for the 6hp26 and of course the Ford versions 6r60 and 6r80. Hoping they can crack the hp21 as well. May be worth a try contacting them, but I would have no idea who/where to start. I'll ask my Ford friend though.
    How's your ST coming along? Im waiting on my plug set!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How valid is that comment Matt?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How valid is that comment Matt?
    What do you mean? It's 100% Valid, SCT has the tuning files for ZF transmissions, primarily, the 6hp file, they do the tuning on the 6hp26. See, overseas Ford used the actual ZF transmission on their overseas offerings unlike in the states where they more or less copied it and re-branded it the 6r80.

Come to think of it...if they have the file and/or tables I wonder if the file can be loaded same way as the alpina flash? Who's the alpina TCU flash wiz around here anyway? @Sticky who is that guy that posted the DIY?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You guys are clutching at straws now. Its basically just going to be patience until someone cracks the TCU. Thinking because SCT has the files for a completely different tranny, in a completely different vehicle, in a completely different platform, they may someone work on the ZF tranny in the N54 cars is insane. You honestly think with how careful BMW is with their ECU / TCU's they were like yeah ZF just go ahead and throw the same TCU coding in the trannys you are building for us are you are throwing in the Fords, no biggy we don't need our own. You should also try flashing the N54 DME with a mustang flash while you are at it...Click here to enlarge Not to kill all hope, but someone is going to have to crack THIS particular TCU, in this tranny, for this platform. It will be done, just not sure how long.

Edit: Now if you can get that ford tranny to bolt up to the N54, swap out to an MT DME, and control the tranny with a standalone. That's not outside the realm of possibility.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Edit: Now if you can get that ford tranny to bolt up to the N54, swap out to an MT DME, and control the tranny with a standalone. That's not outside the realm of possibility.
    Yeah, I've said this a long time now, but now knowing SCT apparently has tuning files for ZF 6hp transmissions, apparently including the 6hp21, why not run a standalone on our own transmission and bypass the OEM TCU by flashing it over to an MT? That's what I'm thinking

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You guys are clutching at straws now. Its basically just going to be patience until someone cracks the TCU. Thinking because SCT has the files for a completely different tranny, in a completely different vehicle, in a completely different platform, they may someone work on the ZF tranny in the N54 cars is insane. You honestly think with how careful BMW is with their ECU / TCU's they were like yeah ZF just go ahead and throw the same TCU coding in the trannys you are building for us are you are throwing in the Fords, no biggy we don't need our own. You should also try flashing the N54 DME with a mustang flash while you are at it...Click here to enlarge Not to kill all hope, but someone is going to have to crack THIS particular TCU, in this tranny, for this platform. It will be done, just not sure how long.

It's a start though. I don't know anything about SCT but however they managed to tackle the other ZF tranny's may be a head start on how to crack this one.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

just put a power glide behind it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's a start though. I don't know anything about SCT but however they managed to tackle the other ZF tranny's may be a head start on how to crack this one.
    You're correct Sticky it is a start but nothing is good enough for him unless he comes up with it first! The 6hp21 isn't all that different. But what do I know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What do you mean? It's 100% Valid, SCT has the tuning files for ZF transmissions, primarily, the 6hp file, they do the tuning on the 6hp26. See, overseas Ford used the actual ZF transmission on their overseas offerings unlike in the states where they more or less copied it and re-branded it the 6r80.

Come to think of it...if they have the file and/or tables I wonder if the file can be loaded same way as the alpina flash? Who's the alpina TCU flash wiz around here anyway? @Sticky who is that guy that posted the DIY?
    Matt didn't mean it a rude way or anything just wondering if you were talking from really knowing this happened or not that's all. I think avenue to pursue well worth the shot why not. Worse thing that can happen we end up in the same predicament that we're in now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It's the BMW firmware that has been signed to the TCU boatloader that needs to be cracked.
    Each car brand has their own file / sign... apples and potatos...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

subscribing to this thread! My car is in the shop for repairs and they gave me a 428i loaner car with the 8-speed transmission. I'm not going to lie but that damn car is waaayyyyyy faster than I had ever was going to be thinking lol. very impressed and that transmission is incredibly impressive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boostaholic786 Click here to enlarge
    subscribing to this thread! My car is in the shop for repairs and they gave me a 428i loaner car with the 8-speed transmission. I'm not going to lie but that damn car is waaayyyyyy faster than I had ever was going to be thinking lol. very impressed and that transmission is incredibly impressive.
    Agree with you there, that new 8 speed transmission they have out is pretty nice!
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The reason SCT has control over the ZF TCM used by ford is the same reason reason Cobb has advanced the 2.0 Ecoboost ECU further in a few short months than it has the N54 DME in 3 years(both built/designed by Bosch.) That reason is DOMESTIC STUFF IS EASY. Domestic manufacturers seem to want their stuff cracked and used to make more power.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    will any of the GM trannys work? the 6L90 in my V is holding up to 1000whp/tq pretty well. And we found the limit to be around 1200whp on someone elses....which should be more than enough for what you need
    "We need to upgrade your skill before we upgrade your horsepower"

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
    will any of the GM trannys work? the 6L90 in my V is holding up to 1000whp/tq pretty well. And we found the limit to be around 1200whp on someone elses....which should be more than enough for what you need
    You’d face numerous issues. Not saying they can’t be overcome…but substantial

-Wiring harness swap/ MT DME swap
    -Standalone transmission controller (how nicely the DME would play with this I have no clue)
    -A sturdy GM box that isn’t 4 speeds
    -A lot of cutting to make it fit. Most of those bellhousings are huge and would absolutely not fit in an E9x or E8x transmission tunnel. ABR has a nice writeup on what it would take.

Sadly that’s every bit as viable as any of our other options. I hold out hope for LVL10 but if we can’t read/write to the TCU, we’re quite literally rolling the dice with hardware upgrades.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    doesn't someone , a user whos around a lot, have a level 10 and track over seas and has had it for some time now?

Why not just swap to a manual though? I dont get why people would want an AT tranny, you spend 99.9 % of your time off the track, who cares about 60-130... Why not just enjoy the $#@! out of your car with a MT , or swap to the DCT once thats upgraded and proven...
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You're correct Sticky it is a start but nothing is good enough for him unless he comes up with it first! The 6hp21 isn't all that different. But what do I know.
    Yeah that's its, we didn't come up with it first. Actually we have ZERO interest in figuring out anything to do with the AT. I hope it gets solved, but calling a company who has hacked a similar tranny in a domestic application which are well known for having much less security tied to their electronics a start is confusing to me. What they have going on, has NOTHING to do with the BMW tranny, sure the mechanicals may be similar, um were were not just talking about the mechanicals are not the problem, level 10 and others already have beefed up internals, its the TCU and until its cracked no dice. So no SCT hacking into the ford tranny is not a start for the BMW tranny unless as I said you plan to swap that tranny in or completely get rid of the factory TCU and go with a standalone. But yes we are saying this because we didn't think of it first...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    doesn't someone , a user whos around a lot, have a level 10 and track over seas and has had it for some time now?

Why not just swap to a manual though? I dont get why people would want an AT tranny, you spend 99.9 % of your time off the track, who cares about 60-130... Why not just enjoy the $#@! out of your car with a MT , or swap to the DCT once thats upgraded and proven...
    Because people are scared of the man pedal.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast