Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Does Cobb ECU reset also reset Lambda adaptations?

My STFTs are maxing out at 34 during WOT on 93 octane with my PTF e-tune. My research tells me to reset lambda adaptations using INPA. Will resetting the ECU using my Cobb AP reset lambda adaptations?

Exactly what parameters are reset when we do an ECU reset with Cobb Accessport?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Believe you need a BT cable or the like to do a fuel adaptation reset. I use the BT cable for that any time I switch ocatane or fuel by a substantial margin. Don't think the Cobb reset does that, it's more for clearing codes. And even then I don't think it wipes shadow codes (ie a 2aae code)
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Thanks. Is fuel adaptation reset the same as lambda reset?
    2008 E90 335xi AT 57K MILES
    MHD CUSTOM E50, N20 TMAP, FUEL-IT STG 2 LPFP, cPE CHARGE PIPE, HELIX IC, FORGE DV, BMS DCI, BMS T-STAT DELETE, BMS OCC, RB PCV, KW-V1 COILOVERS, APEX ARC-8, 235/265 MICHELIN PSS, ALPINA B3 TCU, SCOOPS
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yep. Very easy to do via BT cable. Expect trims to be out of whack at first, as the car needs a hundred miles or so to get a baseline adaptation and then peg trims off of that.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I hear INPA can reset lambda too. Is this correct?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Well I think I reset lambda adaptations using INPA. Key out. Then started. Seemed fine. No rough idling. Did several WOTs and still have 34 STFTs on both banks 1 and 2. LTFTs went to zero during WTO. Thoughts anyone?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I did the reset using INPA I reset ALL adaptations not just lambda. Try that and see if it works.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Sorry for such noob q. Does the INPA reset also reset the Alpina flash back to stock one?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jeffman Click here to enlarge
    Well I think I reset lambda adaptations using INPA. Key out. Then started. Seemed fine. No rough idling. Did several WOTs and still have 34 STFTs on both banks 1 and 2. LTFTs went to zero during WTO. Thoughts anyone?
    Are you throwing any lambda or fuel related codes? Bad wideband maybe? What type of spread are you seeing from bank 1 to bank 2?

Also, let the car learn and adapt a little bit. You won't get a good sense of trims after 5 miles of driving if you just reset adaptations.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

My car was real picky about resetting fuel trims. Needed to do it a couple of times with the BT tool before it "took". Not sure why. When it finally did reset (I also reset a few other things, A/F, throttle adapt, etc) everything was glorious and smooth and well within check. Cobb ECU reset does NOT reset these things.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Are you throwing any lambda or fuel related codes? Bad wideband maybe? What type of spread are you seeing from bank 1 to bank 2?

Also, let the car learn and adapt a little bit. You won't get a good sense of trims after 5 miles of driving if you just reset adaptations.
    Actually every cold morning since September I get a p29e0 mixture code on bank 1. Occasionally a p0171 system too lean. This does coincide about the time I noticed the trims pegging at 34...hmmm... Once warm it doesn't return until after it sits cold overnight. I am also slightly suspicious that the Forge DVs are leaking when cold but I haven't seen any boost leaks.
    2008 E90 335xi AT 57K MILES
    MHD CUSTOM E50, N20 TMAP, FUEL-IT STG 2 LPFP, cPE CHARGE PIPE, HELIX IC, FORGE DV, BMS DCI, BMS T-STAT DELETE, BMS OCC, RB PCV, KW-V1 COILOVERS, APEX ARC-8, 235/265 MICHELIN PSS, ALPINA B3 TCU, SCOOPS
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

How are all your fuel pressures? If you are dropping low or high pressure that could account for the maxed trims.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    My car was real picky about resetting fuel trims. Needed to do it a couple of times with the BT tool before it "took". Not sure why. When it finally did reset (I also reset a few other things, A/F, throttle adapt, etc) everything was glorious and smooth and well within check. Cobb ECU reset does NOT reset these things.
    Thanks for the confirmation about the Cobb ECU reset. I will also try resetting some of the other adaptations too. I heard somewhere that switching from E85 to 93 can cause adaptation confusion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    How are all your fuel pressures? If you are dropping low or high pressure that could account for the maxed trims.
    When I was running E40 blend my LPFP was struggling a bit above 5000 rpm, but it seems a lot better on 93 octane (with my 93 PTF e-tune). Thanks for the advice. I will run some logs after the recently-resetted lambda adaptation settles down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Thanks for the confirmation about the Cobb ECU reset. I will also try resetting some of the other adaptations too. I heard somewhere that switching from E85 to 93 can cause adaptation confusion.
    I'm not sure where you heard that but in my experience it is correct. My short and long term fuel trims began diverging around 3k or so, and grew apart until they were something like +34% and -32%. I drove it like that for a long time and it showed no sign of correcting. I even replaced my lpfp in there with the walbro 455 (fuel pressure is great now) and that didn't do ANYTHING to my fuel trim issue.

I think once it gets beyond a certain point the ECU logic doesn't allow it to correct itself. People said I needed to fix my fuel scalar, but that was not correct; the fuel scalar was spot on. It was the learning that was jacked up. I reset a bunch of things (took a couple trys, as stated before... picky car) and not only did my fuel trims zero out, but 1000 miles afterwards my stft and ltft for both banks are within a couple points of each other, and +/- a few points as well.

As an aside, my 50/50 E85/ACN91 gas mileage went from ~14-16 to 20+.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Going through a few pretty big changes on the shop car, anyone want to help us out with a DIY to reset the adaptations via the INPA cable. I already have one, just no idea how to do it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Going through a few pretty big changes on the shop car, anyone want to help us out with a DIY to reset the adaptations via the INPA cable. I already have one, just no idea how to do it.
    I'd love to help and could probably fumble through it. But I only tried this once and wouldn't want to screw up your car.