Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    Please no, I spent the weekend in our shop's CLA 45 (~10 hour road trip and two track days) and I just test drove the M235i an hour ago. It's tough to say which car feels more powerful because I drove the M235i full of four people and the CLA had tons of luggage, jacks, tools, etc. in it but the M235i's motor is definitely better. I don't think the software in the M235i is the same as the power kit, it feels so much more responsive than any N55 I've driven. Almost doesn't feel turbocharged and it doesn't seem to run out of breath up top as badly as N55s typically do. It just pulls hard from any RPM and it sounds so great. The CLA 45 is much, much more laggy and its top end feels pretty soft compared to its extremely powerful midrange.

Also, the CLA has a low redline and revs pretty freely so you need to be paying attention to avoid banging into the rev limiter, it slows you down for what feels like an eternity before it finally listens to your repeated requests for an upshift. M235i's auto has much better programming. I actually stopped using the CLA's paddles because there is a delay programmed into their response, that car is at its best with the transmission in S mode. It's actually very aggressive and keeps the revs way up high.

When it comes to handling there is simply no comparison, the M235i was designed around the Pilot Super Sport which is one of my favorite tires and it just runs circles around the CLA, the BMW feels alive in your hands while the CLA just feels like any other small Benz. You can always tell the CLA is primarily front wheel drive, you get a fair amount of front wheel slip before it sends any torque to the rear and it actually torque steers a little.

I'm pretty much rambling at this point, the CLA is a great, great car and it's ridiculously quick off the line but it doesn't make me want to own it. I NEED an M235i in my life.
    +1 I saw someone test driving one and they gunned it through 1st and 2nd. Sounded really good! I also noticed its dual exhaust, or is it single muffler and just dual tips? Not sure if the exhaust can be somehow made to fit on a 135, but would love it if it could.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    American companies took over in my books. I'm not fighting it any longer. Bmw's brand is ruined and I'm never going to drive a 4 cylinder car. You guys can have a 450hp NA V8, unbelievable handling and sound, decent interior and good looks all for cheaper than this pos M235i with the C7.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

It is amazing... For 10k more than a m235, you can have a c7 vette

GM needs to ask more for that car lol...they would get it.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    It is amazing... For 10k more than a m235, you can have a c7 vette

GM needs to ask more for that car lol...they would get it.
    They are starting down that path (2015s are up $2k base and the Z51 package is up too). C7 looks to be a great car. I need to go drive one before they are $70k Click here to enlarge

And I *really* want to like the M235i, but the curb weight is killing it for me. I know the engine will be fantastic, but I'm over the idea of just add more horsepower and don't worry about curb weight... Hopefully the M2 has a focus on weight reduction.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I sat in a M235i today and CLA 250 and I have to say I liked interior feel of the M235i better. The CLA felt like putting a tall guy into a clown car!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Please no, I spent the weekend in our shop's CLA 45 (~10 hour road trip and two track days) and I just test drove the M235i an hour ago. It's tough to say which car feels more powerful because I drove the M235i full of four people and the CLA had tons of luggage, jacks, tools, etc. in it but the M235i's motor is definitely better. I don't think the software in the M235i is the same as the power kit, it feels so much more responsive than any N55 I've driven. Almost doesn't feel turbocharged and it doesn't seem to run out of breath up top as badly as N55s typically do. It just pulls hard from any RPM and it sounds so great. The CLA 45 is much, much more laggy and its top end feels pretty soft compared to its extremely powerful midrange.

Also, the CLA has a low redline and revs pretty freely so you need to be paying attention to avoid banging into the rev limiter, it slows you down for what feels like an eternity before it finally listens to your repeated requests for an upshift. M235i's auto has much better programming. I actually stopped using the CLA's paddles because there is a delay programmed into their response, that car is at its best with the transmission in S mode. It's actually very aggressive and keeps the revs way up high.

When it comes to handling there is simply no comparison, the M235i was designed around the Pilot Super Sport which is one of my favorite tires and it just runs circles around the CLA, the BMW feels alive in your hands while the CLA just feels like any other small Benz. You can always tell the CLA is primarily front wheel drive, you get a fair amount of front wheel slip before it sends any torque to the rear and it actually torque steers a little.

I'm pretty much rambling at this point, the CLA is a great, great car and it's ridiculously quick off the line but it doesn't make me want to own it. I NEED an M235i in my life.
    My rebuttal:

Click here to enlarge
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    American companies took over in my books. I'm not fighting it any longer. Bmw's brand is ruined and I'm never going to drive a 4 cylinder car. You guys can have a 450hp NA V8, unbelievable handling and sound, decent interior and good looks all for cheaper than this pos M235i with the C7.
    You're speaking my language.

To hell with BMW.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    thanks for that. can you also tell us your experience as to which feels bigger to sit in, the 1 series vs. m235i?
    M235i has much more space, I owned a 135i for three years and I really liked it at lot but I got tired of always bumping my head (6'3"). The M235i only has a tiny bit more head room (still wish the power seats could go lower) but it feels much wider inside and rear seat room is definitely improved. It has a much nicer cabin overall than my 135i did.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    +1 I saw someone test driving one and they gunned it through 1st and 2nd. Sounded really good! I also noticed its dual exhaust, or is it single muffler and just dual tips? Not sure if the exhaust can be somehow made to fit on a 135, but would love it if it could.
    BMW sells a Performance muffler for the 135i which sounds a lot like the M235i. You can get it from your dealer or find it cheaper online.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

M235i has much more space, I owned a 135i for three years and I really liked it at lot but I got tired of always bumping my head (6'3"). The M235i only has a tiny bit more head room (still wish the power seats could go lower) but it feels much wider inside and rear seat room is definitely improved. It has a much nicer cabin overall than my 135i did.
    I don't doubt it's roomier but this thing is basically a 3-Series. What's the point?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't doubt it's roomier but this thing is basically a 3-Series. What's the point?
    It feels much more nimble than my brother's F30, I don't know how much of that is due to size/weight and how much is down to the new bushings, control arms, power steering calibration, tires, etc. that the M235i in particular has. The tires are a pretty big deal IMO, especially since it comes with non-runflats from the factory so the bushings, dampers, etc. are calibrated to match. The M235i's ride/handling is so far ahead of an F30 335i with the same M Adaptive Dampers, it really felt like an entirely different caliber of car in that area.

And do your point about BMW's history with epic turbocharged 4 cylinder motors in F1, those things made peak power at 12,500+ RPM and were literally worthless below 10,000RPM. I don't doubt that BMW could make an even better motor than the already very good one in the CLA 45, but it's just nowhere near as pleasant as a straight six in terms of smoothness, power delivery, sound, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

It feels much more nimble than my brother's F30, I don't know how much of that is due to size/weight and how much is down to the new bushings, control arms, power steering calibration, tires, etc. that the M235i in particular has. The tires are a pretty big deal IMO, especially since it comes with non-runflats from the factory so the bushings, dampers, etc. are calibrated to match. The M235i's ride/handling is so far ahead of an F30 335i with the same M Adaptive Dampers, it really felt like an entirely different caliber of car in that area.

And do your point about BMW's history with epic turbocharged 4 cylinder motors in F1, those things made peak power at 12,500+ RPM and were literally worthless below 10,000RPM. I don't doubt that BMW could make an even better motor than the already very good one in the CLA 45, but it's just nowhere near as pleasant as a straight six in terms of smoothness, power delivery, sound, etc.
    The motor I posted was the S14.

You don't need to have a laggy four-cylinder. You can do a high compression turbo motor to mitigate lag especially with direct injection these days. The point I was ultimately making is that leveling the playing field on cylinder count and displacement means it shows who has the best skill. BMW tossing an N55 in to compete with the Audi inline-5 and AMG M133 four-cylinder means BMW can just be lazy due to their displacement advantage. They don't need to try as hard to make a 3.0 liter turbo six cylinder match a 2.0 liter four.

Yes, the N55 will have less lag than the M133 from AMG. I find the M133 a much more impressive engineering exercise though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The motor I posted was the S14.
    I actually didn't wait for the image to load and for some strange reason I assumed you would post that insane turbo four BMW built for F1 in the 80s.

I agree about the M133 being an extremely impressive feat of engineering. The N55 is a fairly average turbo six by today's standards but it's still the much more exciting motor (in my opinion) from behind the wheel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Why are you comparing it to the 1M instead of the 135i?
    According to those figures it is slightly heavier and a bit quicker than a stock 135i.
    My car bone stock was 1560kgs (full tank no driver) and went 13.5 @104mph, 0-100 in 5.0 seconds.

I think there is plenty of room for a M2, just make it wider, lighter and give it a DCT.
    I would love the performance of a M4 in a much smaller package. Unfortunately these cars aren't that small anymore.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    Why are you comparing it to the 1M instead of the 135i?
    Because it has an LSD, an M badge, and is the sportiest and most affordable two-door turbo coupe with a manual option in the BMW lineup?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Because it has an LSD, an M badge, and is the sportiest and most affordable two-door turbo coupe with a manual option in the BMW lineup?
    It doesnt have an LSD, or even a factory option for the LSD. It's only available as a refit part from the dealer.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

is there a 235i that's not the M variant?
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    is there a 235i that's not the M variant?
    No.

This is basically the 135i/135is replacement.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

No LSD, 220i, 228i, 220d are all cheaper turbo coupes, and my 135i has half a dozen M badges on it as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    It doesnt have an LSD, or even a factory option for the LSD. It's only available as a refit part from the dealer.
    You can specify you want the LSD when ordering. I don't see the problem. You essentially have an LSD option.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

You can specify you want the LSD when ordering. I don't see the problem. You essentially have an LSD option.
    Can you show me where you can order the LSD as a factory option? Everything I have read has stated it is only available as a refit part.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Can you show me where you can order the LSD as a factory option? Everything I have read has stated it is only available as a refit part.
    It's available as an M Performance Part isn't it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

46k for this car isn't that bad.. The sticker on the e90 n54s were over 50k... BMW is always going to be priced higher than an American Car equivalent and in the case a c7 it's just a better value more so than ever due to better engineering and advancement ... A standard 2007 corvette would hand an ass whooping to a e9x 335i as well.

Chevy has just decided to engineer a better car when bmw decides to rename the same car with series 1 through 99 with the same engines in all the series.

The 550i , M3, M4, 640/50 are the only cars bmw has right now that I would consider buying. M5/6 ... sure I'd get those to but for 100k they're not worth it IMO , rs7 would get my money if I was wasting that much on a car. IMO they're the only cars worth their asking price , and even still for that price you can get better elsewhere but being a bmw fan I'd compromise and grab one of them. With that said Mercedes and Audi before long will be getting my attention when i look for a new car in 2016-17 ...

On top of all of this; the resale on bmw is worse than Mercedes and Audi , by far ... The people who bought last body style m5s got fn hosed. AMG cars hold value much better.

I don't get what BMW is going for ... They obv want to make more cars and appeal to more people, but the enthusiast, unless buying an M, are getting the same god damn engine and car basically with any car BMW has offered in the last 7 years they just vary in weight ...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    AMG cars hold value much better.
    What in the world are you basing this on?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

It's available as an M Performance Part isn't it?
    You can purchase the differential from BMW and pay the dealer or someone to install it, but you can't add it as a factory option.

I guess the best you could hope for would be purchasing the car and having them add the differential and labor to your invoice and have it installed by the dealer. But its not as simple as just "checking a box" when ordering the M235i to have it fitted with a LSD from the factory, which in my opinion is total bull$#@!. I have no idea how much the BMW performance LSD is going to cost, but i am willing to bet that aftermarket options will be a better value.

Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast