Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yea I’m happy to give it a go. Sounds like the boost curve is pretty modest which is good for testing. Will certainly give it a try! Thanks man.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Things definitely get a bit more finicky running 100% E85. It seems to be a bit more sensitive to temperature changes and tuning requires a bit more than just adjusting the scalar.

E50-E60 is a good mix to work with as many of those issues can be avoided, power gains beyond that have yet to be proven, and frankly that's certainly not why I run 100%...I do so for a couple other reasons.
    @bmw335iguy you must be Chris L?
    @123pats...Yes, his tune is pretty conservative as neither Steve K. or I tune very aggressively and IIRC Chris isn't FBO. We don't really tune for others but Chris was wanting to run 100% E85 and since Steve and I both run 100% E85...we kind of worked on that together..but Steve K did the bulk of that. We leave the tuning for others to Wedge who has much more experience in that arena than myself.

As for your pump...I really hate to say it wasn't a good choice because it may very well be with the right setup. I really have no first hand experience running it inline, just solo in the bucket and it was a very good pump for that...too bad that install is not very DIY friendly and I don't think anybody wants to take on that retro-fit for others without fab'ing a new bucket.

As for the lambda targeting on E30...I don't see anything wrong with it at E30...but when you start mixing to say E50 or E60 and only change your scalar....you can run in to issues and the car may not run well or to it's potential. The E30 map is a pretty good base map though...IMO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

@SteveAZ yes I am the aforementioned Mr. Chris L. I will defer to your expertise here. I sent him the map but if you feel he should stick with e60 then I'm sure its for good reason. I know he is in the cold ass east coast so trying to run 100% e85 with all that dense air may not work on his car till it warms up. Glad you finally joined over here! Will be a great contributer to the forum.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Nice to put a username to the name....Click here to enlarge

Thanks and yeah, he can run it and log. Like you pointed out, conditions vary from one user/car to the next so his scalar may need tweaked among other things.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

I haven’t opened the map yet to see what the scalar is, but certainly assuming it’s scaled for E85 or close to it? It’s fairly warm here this week so it shouldn’t be too big a deal, will be well into the 60s today and cold starts are above freezing at this point (fingers crossed).

FWIW I bumped in more scalar last night, same overall result…Cruise around and all is well, give it a lot of load and the second you get off the throttle, fuel pressure pegs high 80s until you restart the car. Sigh…Oh well @SteveAZ's pump should be here soon!

Here's log, really nothing new to report.

http://datazap.me/u/135pats/e55?log=0&data=1-3-20-21-22
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Was out verifying my new LSD and trims tonight on a verified E87 fill and figured I'd post a log of some of what I was talking about.

Here's the link to the log

This is only semi relevant to the conversation because I'm not running a standard setup but I am running a stock bucket and my 255 upgrade kit. WOT gets a boost for my injection setup and is also why I run my STFTs negative.

However, even with all I have going on...you'll see that just prior to the pull when my rpms are about 2.7k I'm at a solid 75psi. Then during the pull when everything kicks in...I'm 90+ psi, but pretty much as soon as I get off of it, I'm right back down to 70ish and then it stabilizes at 73psi at idle.

Click here to enlarge

and how my HPFP responds...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

SteveAZthat is really nice fueling Click here to enlarge, only time I was able to get trims in such a solid spot was when I was spraying, which Iím currently not doing while I sort this out. HPFP PSI responds very nicely as well.

That shows exactly what my car refuses to do, properly regulate LPFP PSI after heavy load. At idle, cruise, and WOT fuel pressure is as it should be. But after WOT it holds a near flat 87PSI, I mean it just does not budge. For the life of me I canít determine why.

One thing I have noticed- the more I bump up the scalar, the more quickly LPFP PSI settles at a reasonable pressure. I have no idea what to take from that, but FWIWÖ.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Car smoked the fuse again on the way to workÖI havenít driven it more than a 200 miles or so this month. Iím over this FFTEC pump, unless something bizarre is going on, it is causing these issues and Iím convinced it will never live happily in my car. It has been nothing but trouble, straight up.

Tomorrow the pump will be swapped out with SteveAZ 's kit, which by the way is absolutely outstanding looking. Clearly he put a lot of thought and energy into making this kit, and it shows. Weíll also do (another) visual inspection to ensure nothing has been kinked or otherwise screwed up. I will update the thread with the results of that, and a final tally of $ damage tracking this problem down.

Iím not going to rip on the current pump that much until I know for certain it was the cause of the problem, it is what it is. But Iím damn confident itís the cause at this point, either that or the pump module, which Iíve never seen fail but who knows. I may as well set up a mattress in the back of these tow trucks, been spending too much time in them recently.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Sorry Pats

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Car smoked the fuse again on the way to work…I haven’t driven it more than a 200 miles or so this month. I’m over this FFTEC pump, unless something bizarre is going on, it is causing these issues and I’m convinced it will never live happily in my car. It has been nothing but trouble, straight up.

Tomorrow the pump will be swapped out with SteveAZ 's kit, which by the way is absolutely outstanding looking. Clearly he put a lot of thought and energy into making this kit, and it shows. We’ll also do (another) visual inspection to ensure nothing has been kinked or otherwise screwed up. I will update the thread with the results of that, and a final tally of $ damage tracking this problem down.

I’m not going to rip on the current pump that much until I know for certain it was the cause of the problem, it is what it is. But I’m damn confident it’s the cause at this point, either that or the pump module, which I’ve never seen fail but who knows. I may as well set up a mattress in the back of these tow trucks, been spending too much time in them recently.
    @SteveAZ has a kit?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    @SteveAZ has a kit?
    Yes and it’s badass- it’s a basic inline Walbro setup but top to bottom quality materials that take any and all guesswork out of the equation. I should have snapped pictures while I still had it in hand, it’s very well thought out and leaves installer error as the only feasible problem that could result. He did his homework on this one for sure. Believe there are good pictures over on Terry’s forum, happy to post them here but IDK what the rules are so defer to you.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Yes and it’s badass- it’s a basic inline Walbro setup but top to bottom quality materials that take any and all guesswork out of the equation. I should have snapped pictures while I still had it in hand, it’s very well thought out and leaves installer error as the only feasible problem that could result. He did his homework on this one for sure. Believe there are good pictures over on Terry’s forum, happy to post them here but IDK what the rules are so defer to you.
    I don't know man, is this thing for sale? I'd say go ahead and make a new thread for it. Just no sales talk.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

@SteveAZIím likely going to be pulling the FFTEC pump tomorrow and swapping yours in, assuming that remedies the problem, would you like the FFTEC pump? Itís a $600 paper weight for me, and it just pisses me off looking at it. It is quite a ďniceĒ piece so maybe it could be useful for your testing? If you cover shipping itís all yours, I want this nonsense out of sight ASAP and could care less about making a profit. I couldnít sell someone a likely defective pump in good faith.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    @135pats

Absolutely, I'd like to flow test it and see what kind of amperage it's drawing running inline with the stock lpfp at normal pressures and the pressures your're seeing.

Will also test it in my car since I'm set up a little better to manage the flows.

Thanks

@SteveAZI’m likely going to be pulling the FFTEC pump tomorrow and swapping yours in, assuming that remedies the problem, would you like the FFTEC pump? It’s a $600 paper weight for me, and it just pisses me off looking at it. It is quite a “nice” piece so maybe it could be useful for your testing? If you cover shipping it’s all yours, I want this nonsense out of sight ASAP and could care less about making a profit. I couldn’t sell someone a likely defective pump in good faith.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

OK reporting back with some useful info @SteveAZ. The FFTEC pump was swapped out yesterday for the new inline setup, that went without a hitch. There was nothing obviously wrong with the FFTEC pump visually, wiring was fine, no line kinks, none of that stuff. Walbro went in without issue- what a well thought out setup. Also swapped in a 25 amp #70 fuse.

Drove around this AM and noticed that at idle fuel pressure was in the high 70s, but under load it was holding a very tight spread of 72-73PSI. Going WOT does not create the situation from earlier where it would peg high 80s PSI, but the problem remains that the car is struggling to regulate fuel pressure under idle/ no load situations. Apply any type of load and fuel pressure is on the money. At this point i'm out of ideas....

http://www.datazap.me/u/135pats/crui...0&data=1-20-21

http://www.datazap.me/u/135pats/e60-...&mark=60-53-54
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Well this is quite stunning...I'm literally back at square one, just a lot of $ later.

Drove around more this evening and the following is currently the case

-Idle is around 77PSI flat
    -Cruising/light load is 72PSI on the money
    -Any heavier load than light and it pegs high 80s PSI, just as it did with the FFTEC pump.

So at this point I know it can't be the pump...what else is there to even replace??? I'm discouraged Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I don't know man... grab a drink and watch some TV. Don't stress on a Saturday.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't know man... grab a drink and watch some TV. Don't stress on a Saturday.
    I'm 2 Gin and tonics ahead of ya Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I'm 2 Gin and tonics ahead of ya Click here to enlarge
    It's a timezone thing. I thought about doing some more work but I'm just going to chill the rest of the day I think.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Have to take a break but will delve in to this more later. However...today I replaced a pump for somebody that is now running my beta pump...he had an issue with his 450 pump (torn fuel line)....his car for the time being is holding at 83psi after a BT adaptions reset...will it learn down? Time will tell. More later.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Interesting, wouldn't a torn fuel line be quite obvious though? Or do you mean it was hunting 83PSI after the line was replaced, adaptations reset, etc. I'm hesitant to keep replacing parts on guesses, i'm going to drive the car lightly and hope the 25 amp holds. I have spares anyways...

Oh and I'll try to grab the FFTEC pump for you this week, the tech still has it because he wanted to let it dry out before putting it in my trunk.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

I'm saying he had one and the DME was probably used to pushing more current to achieve the requested levels. So his may, or may not go down to the low 70's as the DME relearns....since he's testing I will be monitoring it pretty closely and we'll see.

I tested a 450 pump today and on it's own...it pulled 21 amps at 75 psi and flowed 1.25GPM. I can't test it with a stock pump so I don't know what they'll pull when run in series. What you're running now pulls 17 amps with both pumps running....that I do know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Thanks for the info, as always. So long as it's not dangerous and the fuse won't pop, the car is running very well. I'll keep driving and see if it trends down over time.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

There's some sort of process to reset "ready" status when it comes to smog checking. I remember a BMW tech showing me some print out about it. Drive like x miles at speeds above y for z amount of time then a different speed for a diff amount of time. I would bet that it will drop eventually on its own. That pseudo reset might speed up the process. Might be totally unrelated but that's all Mr. Livet and I can add.
    E92 N54 3368lbs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge
    There's some sort of process to reset "ready" status when it comes to smog checking. I remember a BMW tech showing me some print out about it. Drive like x miles at speeds above y for z amount of time then a different speed for a diff amount of time. I would bet that it will drop eventually on its own. That pseudo reset might speed up the process. Might be totally unrelated but that's all Mr. Livet and I can add.
    Honestly all I care about is that it's "safe" and will not smoke the fuse again. I am convinced at this point that there are no remaining hardware failures. Based on the amps this setup is pulling, with a 25 amp fuse that should not be an issue. So if mid-high 80s PSI is in and of itself not a bad thing, I don't really care as the number at that point is somewhat arbitrary. In the past I had drawn a causal relationship between pulling too many amps, and the unusual LPFP PSI- but it sounds like the two are independent of eachother with this new pump.

I hope the car will "unlearn" this behavior but I tend to doubt it. Maybe if that type of adaptation requires hundreds of miles of driving, we'll see!

In the mean time, everything else looks pretty sharp to me, and Steve's setup is far superior from an installation standpoint.

http://www.datazap.me/u/135pats/e60?...16-17-20-21-22
    Click here to enlarge

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast