Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    LOL. Welcome bud, good to have you on this forum stick around.

Yea I don’t think the issue is the regulator, and I already replaced the LPFP sensor on the rail myself last week. At this point I’ve replaced both pumps, checked all lines+connections+wiring, replaced the relevant sensor, and replaced the fuse. If it’s still popping the fuse the only remaining sources I can think of would be

1. Fuel pressure regulator
    2. Need a 25 amp fuse
    I think the car should be OK now, but I’ll keep this updated if anything else goes down. What I do want to figure out is how the LPFP bucket hat got cracked. Pump was brand new, under 1K miles on it. Perhaps the inline pump (it has a billet adaptor) smacked into it? Doubtful though….IDK.
    Haha, thanks...

The LPFP sensor isn't on the rail...that sensor is what everybody refers to as the HPFP sensor.

The pump bumped in to the hat? Do you mean when you were installing it? Doesn't that one sit on the floor of the tank as well?

If so and you want a "retention device", PM me...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why didn't you make it SteveAZ to begin with?
    My bad...guess I was in a hurry...could have sworn it asked for an email and then it said I was registed...lol

Thanks for changing it though....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad you got it working! Figured it was something like that. I'm a car whisperer. Or something. I'd still personally do the 25amp, maybe after you're confident the issue is fixed, just for a bit more safety factor (pumps losing power mid pull aren't the best thing in the world if your car stalls and you lose power steering etc).

And @SteveAZ I knew it was you from your first post. You are very consistent lol. Also, your LPFP inline kit is tits. Much nicer than the one I threw together myself (although I didn't have any issues, I trust this one way more).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

I think Iím just doing a poor job of explaining, Iíll grab pictures we took and post them up later. As for the fuel sensor, itís this sucker on the way to the HPFP, below the manifold. Didnít mean to insinuate it was on the fuel rail to the injectors!

@V8Bait inclined to agree on the 25 amp fuse. But we figured it made most sense to definitively knock out known problems before going up to 25amps. If this one blows now that I know the hardware and installation is 100%, Iíll go up to 25 amps for sure.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yep...that's the LPFP sensor...there is also a sensor at the back of the rail. That is what everybody is referencing when they talk about their "HPFP" pressures. In the top left corner of that picture is the HPFP flow control valve....just an FYI...lol
    @V8Bait Hahaha...yeah....a creature of habit for sure...lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @V8Bait inclined to agree on the 25 amp fuse. But we figured it made most sense to definitively knock out known problems before going up to 25amps. If this one blows now that I know the hardware and installation is 100%, I’ll go up to 25 amps for sure.
    I agree with your inclination to agree and to wait, I also find it agreeable that everybody is in agreement.

Which forum am I on again?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Haven't driven more than 30 miles or so since getting the car back, all seems fine, however it's still delivering high 80s PSI at all times. It holds it very steady there, but that hasn't changed at all. Why do I have a bad feeling this is not fixed yet Click here to enlarge just going to keep driving around on E30 until the fuse inevitably blows again lol.

Log from not long ago. Obviously need more fuel scalar, though since the car hasn't had much time to adapt I suspect they'll even themselves out.

http://www.datazap.me/u/135pats/more-testing
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This looks normal....very good in fact.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @ It's certainly supporting it fine, but I just figured pressure 20+PSI over what is requested is not what you want. But if the fueling side of that log looks good (STFT aside) that's fantastic.

So it doesn't concern you that it idles at about 88-89PSI? It holds it there steady as a rock for whatever that's worth. Car hasn't thrown any codes but i'm sure there's a 2AAE shadow code when I scan with BT cable tonight. I have some pictures we took when we opened up the tank and pumps, i'll post them up later so people can avoid these problems going forwards.

Thanks man
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SteveAZ Click here to enlarge
    I am SteveAZ...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Didn't read the thread. But if pressure is > ~70 at idle you are likely over running your regulator. You could try replacing the regulator/filter assembly. Or just downsize the pump.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Didn't read the thread. But if pressure is > ~70 at idle you are likely over running your regulator. You could try replacing the regulator/filter assembly. Or just downsize the pump.
    So in your mind it's either a faulty fuel regulator, or just too much flow? The latter would seem odd to me, there's really nothing special about the FFTEC pump a good number of people use it w/out issue. Thanks for the feedback.Later tonight i'll take a log of a cold start to see what happens in terms of LPFP PSI, and will pull another 3-4-5 log.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Updates and logs from just now. 3 logs would value your thoughts

1. Cold start behavior. As you can see, it pegs high 80s instantly and doesn't really budge.
    http://www.datazap.me/u/135pats/cold-start

2. Just cruising under light load and throttle. Similar story, PSI pegs around 87-89PSI stays there.
    http://www.datazap.me/u/135pats/0-50-cruising

3. 3-4-5 pull with the same results before. Things look OK fueling wise to me WOT, suppose trims could be tighter but the car is still adapting with only 50 miles since the last reset.
    http://www.datazap.me/u/135pats/3-4-5

The car threw no codes at all but I did find a p2c7c when I got in the car, so i'll be replacing the post cat o2s soon. Doubt that's at all the issue here though.

OK fire away Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    So here is my concern.

As I stated previously, I too believe you are over-running the stock regulator and putting a lot of stress on the system, consequently you are drawing excessive current and blowing fuses. All the while the DME is trying to scale back the PWM and may have reached it's minimum limit. (Approximately 50%)

For reference, here are a few pics of the stock regulator that I have removed from a filter assembly (driver's side of tank). It's a POS as you can see.

Click here to enlarge

All that said...full disclosure...as many of you know I have a competing product that I recently introduced, so take my comments and advice with that in mind. However, I have spent a ton of time with the fuel system and am merely trying to share my experiences as unbiased as I can.

Now...having said all that. I'm going to make a proposal to you. If you're interested, I'll send you out a inline fuel upgrade kit with a 255 pump if you give me a deposit for it. You can try it and see how your car responds. If you decide you want to keep the kit, cool, want to send it back...just as cool with that. If you keep it, I may be interested in your current inline pump for testing. I run a completely different fuel system and it'd be interesting to see how it responds.

SteveAZUpdates and logs from just now. 3 logs would value your thoughts

1. Cold start behavior. As you can see, it pegs high 80s instantly and doesn't really budge.
    http://www.datazap.me/u/135pats/cold-start

2. Just cruising under light load and throttle. Similar story, PSI pegs around 87-89PSI stays there.
    http://www.datazap.me/u/135pats/0-50-cruising

3. 3-4-5 pull with the same results before. Things look OK fueling wise to me WOT, suppose trims could be tighter but the car is still adapting with only 50 miles since the last reset.
    http://www.datazap.me/u/135pats/3-4-5

The car threw no codes at all but I did find a p2c7c when I got in the car, so i'll be replacing the post cat o2s soon. Doubt that's at all the issue here though.

OK fire away Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you adjust your fuel scaler and reset adaptations Pats? If so, have you given the car enough miles to re learn?
    -Modified safety triangle in trunk
    -Carbon fiber key overlay
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SteveAZ Click here to enlarge
    So here is my concern.

As I stated previously, I too believe you are over-running the stock regulator and putting a lot of stress on the system, consequently you are drawing excessive current and blowing fuses. All the while the DME is trying to scale back the PWM and may have reached it's minimum limit. (Approximately 50%)

For reference, here are a few pics of the stock regulator that I have removed from a filter assembly (driver's side of tank). It's a POS as you can see.

Click here to enlarge

All that said...full disclosure...as many of you know I have a competing product that I recently introduced, so take my comments and advice with that in mind. However, I have spent a ton of time with the fuel system and am merely trying to share my experiences as unbiased as I can.

Now...having said all that. I'm going to make a proposal to you. If you're interested, I'll send you out a inline fuel upgrade kit with a 255 pump if you give me a deposit for it. You can try it and see how your car responds. If you decide you want to keep the kit, cool, want to send it back...just as cool with that. If you keep it, I may be interested in your current inline pump for testing. I run a completely different fuel system and it'd be interesting to see how it responds.
    Thanks bud. I'd be happy to take you up on that offer, i'm honestly out of patience with this pump. Cannot believe I spent $600 on a fuel pump that has left my car stranded twice, but it's a sunk cost.

Do you have a sense of when you could ship out the pump? I probably won't be driving this car until I get this resolved, but have another car so it's not a huge priority.

Paypal is standing by. And if your setup turns out to work great, i'd be more than happy to send you my current pump for free or very close to it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge
    Did you adjust your fuel scaler and reset adaptations Pats? If so, have you given the car enough miles to re learn?
    I have not, could you expand on why you think that would help?

I could use a bit more scalar to help drop trims, but do you think it would lower LPFP PSI? If so i'm happy to tweak the E30 OTS map for more scalar, I need to do it anyways.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    This is how I feel lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not sure what's in your tank and I can only make left or right of excel logs. It may be possible your car has not adjusted to your fuel and is compensating by trying to over work your pump. Honestly I have no idea but it did work for me. I adjusted my fuel scaler to 1.2 for E40-E50, reset everything with my Cobb, unplugged my battery for 4-5 hours, drove 50ish miles and problem went away.
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not sure what's in your tank and I can only make left or right of excel logs. It may be possible your car has not adjusted to your fuel and is compensating by trying to over work your pump. Honestly I have no idea but it did work for me. I adjusted my fuel scaler to 1.2 for E40-E50, reset everything with my Cobb, unplugged my battery for 4-5 hours, drove 50ish miles and problem went away.
    OK the E30 bank 1 and 2 scalar values are 1.00 for almost all cells except the last one on the bottom which is 1.11.I'm thinking i'll adjust all cells to 1.18 or so? What do you think. E40 in the tank.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OK the E30 bank 1 and 2 scalar values are 1.00 for almost all cells except the last one on the bottom which is 1.11.I'm thinking i'll adjust all cells to 1.18 or so? What do you think. E40 in the tank.
    See if this helps Pats. I'd adjust just a bit higher then whats recommended.

Copy of E85.pdf
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If your using the 3d fuel scalar, this is the e30 cobb ots scalar you should be using

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bimmer305 Click here to enlarge
    Start with cobb e30 fuel scalar then make changes as necessary.
    Attachment 35451

And to make life easier link to spreadsheet Click here to enlarge https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Hc&usp=sharing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    See if this helps Pats. I'd adjust just a bit higher then whats recommended.

Copy of E85.pdf
    Did you adjust yours to 1.2 across the board for all cells?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It is thru the Cobb tuner software like bmw335iguy mentioned. I should have mentioned that, good call bro.

Cobb fuel scalar is simply bank 1 and bank 2, Im not certain how the software you use is manipulated and if all cells need to be changed identically.
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It is thru the Cobb tuner software like bmw335iguy mentioned. I should have mentioned that, good call bro.

Cobb fuel scalar is simply bank 1 and bank 2, Im not certain how the software you use is manipulated and if all cells need to be changed identically.
    Yea i'm in ATR right now, the bank 1 and 2 tables for scalar. I'm just not clear on where you made your tables 1.2 across the board Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yea i'm in ATR right now, the bank 1 and 2 tables for scalar. I'm just not clear on where you made your tables 1.2 across the board Click here to enlarge

Oh got ya.

Ok open fuel tabes in ATR

The BOTTOM two options are fuel scalar bank1 and fuel scalar bank 2

I believe your looking at Fuel bank 1 not fuel scalar bank 1
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast