Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Aftermarket warranty and Oil Catch Can.

Has anyone purchased an aftermarket warranty for their bmw? I have a quote from warranty direct for 4900 that covers me to 100k miles and 2020. Is this a good deal? Are there better aftermarket warranties available?

It seems to cover everything but wear items.

I am also considering an OCC from BMS. I am concerned that BMW and/or the aftermarket warranty will be compromised in some way.

Thoughts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Compromised over an OCC? Come on now. Go ahead and get it. Frankly, BMW should thank you.

I'd negotiate on that quote.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Know anything about the company? Has anybody ever made a claim on an aftermarket warranty?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Seriously if you are worried about a catch can it sounds like modifying isn't for you.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That's easy to say. Technically I think I can handle cutting some tubing and use a screwdriver. What hasn't been answered is how bmw views the modification, or the general question about aftermarket warranties and their "value."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Yes it was answered the OCC won't void your warranty.

I find aftermarket warranties a waste of money. They do their best to not pay on anything. I'd put $5k toward parts.

You seem to be very scared of voiding your warranty by barely even doing anything so I'm not sure what to say.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Depends on the dealer that regularly services your car. If something goes wrong, it's possible that if their not mod-friendly they could blame the non-OEM modifications you've made to the car.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That is the same thing a good friend of mine said so I will take that into consideration.

Is it not reasonable to expect bmw to try to avoid paying up on a claim any more than an aftermarket company?

I'm not familiar with their reputation (good or bad?) for handling claims.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks benzy. I think i'm going to ask the service dept what they think. Mazda (for one) seems to not be running away from the carbon buildup issue like BMW. I talked to a mazda service advisor and he said they recommend customers come in every 30k for an upper manifold clean. Kinda different from BMW recommending a fuel additive (especially when no fuel is able to get to the top of the valves) and blaming the issue on poor american gas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Depends on the dealer that regularly services your car. If something goes wrong, it's possible that if their not mod-friendly they could blame the non-OEM modifications you've made to the car.
    It's irrelevant as the Magnuson-Moss act exists. They aren't going to go to war over an OCC, a filter, exhaust, etc. The dealer can feel whatever they want the law is not on their side.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've never had the experience of fighting a dealer through the magnuson-moss act. I have heard that often its not worth the court costs, but if anyone has experience with this I would be very interested to hear about it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by morkusyambo Click here to enlarge
    I've never had the experience of fighting a dealer through the magnuson-moss act. I have heard that often its not worth the court costs, but if anyone has experience with this I would be very interested to hear about it.
    I have and there were no court costs. It's enough to let them know that you know your rights and they back down.

Seriously, you won't even have to go through anything over an OCC, intercooler, exhaust, etc. A tune is where they will get you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks for all of the advice guys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    this thread just answered my questions.... i love forums
    **F30 328i**Stage 2 JB4, Injen CAI, Downpipe, FF Wires**

Rep Points
    Mentioned