Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

PTFE and FEP Heat shrink tubing are both compatible with Ethanol if someone really wants to go there. There is this huge overreaction to the use of E85 in modern fuel systems. While more corrosive than gasoline, it takes a very long time to see any noticeable side effects of running mixes of it unless you have something submerged in it that is directly susceptible to being attacked by its corrosive properties. Which obviously your butt connectors were as they got soft in a short period of time. That style butt connectors are the cheapest of the cheap, I would throw them away before I wired anything with them
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 02-21-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    I opened mine up a month and a half later to change my elbow configuration and all connections back then looked good. This was a definite time dependent thing. Not trying to scare anyone here, but I thought exactly the same thing... all hoses were holding, all connections looked good, I thought for sure I was in the clear; done deal. Nope.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    yep! Your stuff looked damn good.. Didn't we get fuel resistant shrink? Or am I mistaken and thinking of something else

Intercoolers are taking waaaay to long to arrive Click here to enlarge
    I hope it looks good when we do it. I might just have to peek in there today.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    PTFE and FEP Heat shrink tubing are both compatible with Ethanol if someone really wants to go there. There is this huge overreaction to the use of E85 in modern fuel systems. While more corrosive than gasoline, it takes a very long time to see any noticeable side effects of running mixes of it unless you have something submerged in it that is directly susceptible to being attacked by its corrosive properties. Which obviously your butt connectors were as they got soft in a short period of time. That style butt connectors are the cheapest of the cheap, I would throw them away before I wired anything with them
    Fack, I used polyolefin LOL. I'm gonna have to look at those and get them.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    What do you think about using a paper clip in place of the plastic clip, on the vent hose from the top of the LPFP? Mine broke and I wrapped a paper clip around it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    What do you think about using a paper clip in place of the plastic clip, on the vent hose from the top of the LPFP? Mine broke and I wrapped a paper clip around it.
    Honestly not the best solution, but it will probably last forever. Not like the ethanol is going to eat like its acid or something.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Honestly not the best solution, but it will probably last forever. Not like the ethanol is going to eat like its acid or something.
    Ok thanks. I don't know too much about metal properties etc. When I run e85 we are talking 1-2 gallons to clear timing corrections on pump maps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

You are fine, thats such a low percentage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Someone should really put together a 455lph install kit including the "hard to get" hose. If anyone does, I'll gladly be first on your list of orders.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by beakmoney Click here to enlarge
    Someone should really put together a 455lph install kit including the "hard to get" hose. If anyone does, I'll gladly be first on your list of orders.
    That's totally different install, this is for the inline 255.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Heads up is appreciated OP. Repped.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Heads up is appreciated OP. Repped.
    Thanks man! This is the kind of stuff that I like to read about someone else screwing up/etc so I don't ever have to deal with it. I assure you my sphincter was at full pucker when I saw the connections all jacked up. Crisis averted!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

.....it takes a very long time to see any noticeable side effects of running mixes of it unless you have something submerged in it that is directly susceptible to being attacked by its corrosive properties. Which obviously your butt connectors were as they got soft in a short period of time. That style butt connectors are the cheapest of the cheap, I would throw them away before I wired anything with them
    I couldn't agree with you more. Truth be told when I looked at them I didn't like them but I was hell bent on doing the install right then and assumed they must have been special E85 compatible connectors, you know, 'cause they were part of the E85 pump kit. I looked for others locally but no dice. Lesson learned.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Just wanted to clarify something on this thread as I've been asked about it a couple times.

You're blaming that failure on ethanol....in reality...had you been running 100% ethanol...you probably wouldn't have had that issue. The fact that you appear to be using cheap plastic (ABS) connectors (supplied to you for this purpose so understandable) without heat shrink was more likely the cause.

Case in point....

Click here to enlarge
    Source

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SteveAZ Click here to enlarge
    Just wanted to clarify something on this thread as I've been asked about it a couple times.

You're blaming that failure on ethanol....in reality...had you been running 100% ethanol...you probably wouldn't have had that issue. The fact that you appear to be using cheap plastic (ABS) connectors (supplied to you for this purpose so understandable) without heat shrink was more likely the cause.

Case in point....

Click here to enlarge
    Source
    bottom line people. Whatever fuels you are running, use quality parts when upgrading. People going cheap is the cause of most of their issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Case in point....

Click here to enlarge
    Source
    You deserve unlimited rep points.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    You deserve unlimited rep points.
    Exactly what SteveAz said the lack of heat shrink is what happened ask me how I know? I believe the bundi connectors are made out of ABS and they do well in there so ABS should be good to go. When I went to dyno my RBs I got into a little bit of a rush and forgot the heat-shrink my connections looked exactly like that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 07Tundra Click here to enlarge
    I believe the bundi connectors are made out of ABS and they do well in there so ABS should be good to go.
    That is incorrect....

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

That is incorrect....

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    YES Yes Steve........lol I saw that after......... nylon

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Really like that site. So I guess, the polyolefin or the polypropyplene heatshrink wraps i used are A grade when used with ethanol but a C grade when used with unleaded gasoline.

Gotta take a look at my pump asap..
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Remember...it's not so much that you are trying to seal the connection as fuel is not conductive. A quality, properly done nylon crimp connector would be fine without heat shrink. Proper heat shrink is just another layer of protection that would have saved the OP a headache.

When I do installs they look like this....

Click here to enlarge

They are not sealed...but they are staggered and my kits include PTFE tubing. so while I'm sure plenty of people have opened them up and seen this crinkly and what looks to be cheap heat shrink Click here to enlarge...it's not...it's actually fairly expensive.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Sounds about right. Good stuff SteveAZ. I'm not 100% sure what the connectors supplied to me were made of, but I am sure it was the wrong stuff for the application. Good point on it being incompatible with gasoline vs ethanol.

Regarding heat shrink tubing -it's my understanding that while it may seal for you, it's not intended to be used in a submerged application for the purposes of sealing. I.e. obviously another layer of protection, but not mandatory.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Regarding heat shrink tubing -it's my understanding that while it may seal for you, it's not intended to be used in a submerged application for the purposes of sealing. I.e. obviously another layer of protection, but not mandatory.
    Exactly, it's more for safety and short prevention, as well as a fire lol. But yea the heat shrink wrap is not a good sealer, just to keep the connections from touching each other like they did in yours when they bonded.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Exactly, it's more for safety and short prevention, as well as a fire lol. But yea the heat shrink wrap is not a good sealer, just to keep the connections from touching each other like they did in yours when they bonded.
    Upon further inspection, the gelling of the plastic -whatever it is- surrounded the connectors and provided a protective layer to blobbed up plastic, insulating the tank from the spark. So the connectors both almost killed me and saved me. lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Upon further inspection, the gelling of the plastic -whatever it is- surrounded the connectors and provided a protective layer to blobbed up plastic, insulating the tank from the spark. So the connectors both almost killed me and saved me. lol
    Sometimes you gotta thank physics and their properties... oh as well as luck on your part sir! LOL
    Burger Motorsports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12