Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Thumbs up How to precision BREAK your rear halfshafts (drive axles) :)

Proof that a 6 puck ClutchMasters ceramic clutch indeed does put all that power to the GROUND Click here to enlarge

My driver's side halfshaft snapped inside the CV rubber boot right at the spline...460wtq to the ground to 0wtq to the ground in 0 seconds Click here to enlarge

On the bright side this launch would've been a 1.3sec 60' easy Click here to enlarge I launched at around 4200rpm didn't drop the clutch but quickly let it out and took off, got a tiny bit of wheel hop a few feet down the track when it SNAPPPPED LOUD! Click here to enlarge

The left one (driver's side) snapped, right one's CV is binding and doesn't have smoothest movement and is very possibly the reason for my recent vibration issue in case you followed up on that thread (thought it was the lightweight flywheel or the diff)...given that vibration was mostly felt from the rear it may be that this was already on its way out and it just gave out...It was a 60 mile tow back home free of charge courtesy of roadside assistance Click here to enlarge

Enjoy the pics! Talked to Lee@Driveshaftshop, they'll be bringing these back to life only MUCH stronger Click here to enlarge Chromoly shafts FTMFW! Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

damn
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

ouch!!! that happend to this guy in his stock e46 on the drag too cause of a launch.
    Last edited by Payam@BMS; 10-18-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Wanted the video off.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

can you please remove that vid off my thread...the most annoying vid i've ever seen in my life...that guy's just plain annoying...how many drag cars MADE for drag racing brake every time I'm there...exploded transmissions, clutches, etc etc...that vid is PATHETIC...of course this car doesn't come with 1000hp halfshafts from the factory, why should it?

remove the vid..please..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

okay bro.. relax. its just a video.

and the car was stock not 1000hp or even near.
    Last edited by Payam@BMS; 10-18-2010 at 02:41 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Do you have any suspension mods, like lowering springs etc?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

ouch man ! sorry to hear this. Just get some better ones :-)
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    okay bro.. relax. its just a video.

and the car was stock not 1000hp or even near.
    thanks...i'm just tired of hicks at the track saying bmw is a road car not a drag car...no $#@!, f* obvious, that doesn't mean it can't be made to go fast from a dig with a few mods...i see their dragsters brake down every single time I'm there but no one says, hey that car's not "made" for drag racing Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Do you have any suspension mods, like lowering springs etc?
    KW V2 lowered...that brings me to a question...how/what to do to eliminate wheelhop?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    ouch man ! sorry to hear this. Just get some better ones :-)
    driveshaftshop it is
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    KW V2 lowered...that brings me to a question...how/what to do to eliminate wheelhop?
    stronger mounts.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    stronger mounts.
    which?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Hmmm, I believe the other two people who broke drive-shafts had lowered their cars as well......

Wonder if it is just coincidence.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

not a coincidence...springs/compression do have a factor in wheelhop which is the primary reason for this damage...tuning it out is what would really help..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I know very little about that, hopefully an experienced drag racer here can help out. Those new drive-shafts are gonna be pretty damn tough!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Sorry for the misfortunate man but grats on the incoming upgrade. I have yet to have wheel hop when I launch my car and I am running on stock suspension but swapped stock springs with H&R sport springs.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Think I need to dial in my rear spring compression a tiny bit..

The wait for 1000hp axles begins, shipped down today..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

On the bright side this launch would've been a 1.3sec 60' easy I launched at around 4200rpm didn't drop the clutch but quickly let it out and took off, got a tiny bit of wheel hop a few feet down the track when it SNAPPPPED LOUD!
    Sounds like you let it out too fast and you didn't let off when it started hopping.

That is almost dumping it from the sound of it but no big deal, you will get stronger axles and be back out there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Nah, didn't dump the clutch, never do...i did let off as soon as I got wheelhop but this time around it wasn't as bad as before and it caused a snap...damage was done before..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Nah, didn't dump the clutch, never do...i did let off as soon as I got wheelhop but this time around it wasn't as bad as before and it caused a snap...damage was done before..
    Well, maybe now with the stronger axles you can launch as hard as you want Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge really what I want to do is see how to eliminate wheel hop...i'll be getting stronger rear subframe mounts and rear wishbones soon from tischer but it seems that there's a need to check spring rates on my coilovers...how do you check these? car's just basically lowered to match height on both sides...how would you "tune out" wheel hop?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

how would you "tune out" wheel hop?
    Good question and I'm not entirely sure of the answer. Let me do some research Click here to enlarge