Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Brushed black spokes with polished lips. Oddly enough, the lips didn't come polished but rather clear coated. Clear coat failed on both the spokes and the lips. I highly recommend waxing the wheels as soon as you get them and only washing them with a very mild detergent; no dedicated wheel cleaners.
    Yeah, I'm thinking dawn dish soap, I've used it before works pretty good; and even safe for the hands! lol

Good idea on the waxing. I will be doing a pretty thorough detail job on the whole car including a good waxing when I get the wheels cause that's about the same time I'll have the car back from the shop and it's filthy right now. Plus it has some new CF pieces including a hood, and want all of that waxed as well.

I'm thinking since mine will be painted and then clear coated I should have better luck. It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of clear coat issues on bare metal or a brushed surface.

I mean, the results aren't so great for HRE if you research their wheels peeling, but I heard it's better now that it's in house.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    Forgeline makes a similar wheel. They are all in house operations, just like HRE. Their wheels don't get much forum talk, but they are used on weekends by many race teams.

But like HRE they are pricey, $6k for a set of 18's.

Attachment 36152
    Are they priced that high now.......I remember a while back , I had my Forgeline 19" DE3P in custom gold with chrome lips for $3800.00 shipped to my door . As a matter of fact , you can still go to their website and see the pic of my old C63 with the gold wheels on it . I just saw their website and it says 18s are around $1200 each and 19s are around $1300 each . If you call them and tell them you saw their wheels on another car and were highly impressed , you can probably get a better deal . my set was the first set they made for the C63 and when I got them , the rear offset looked funny so I took pics and took measurements for them . They made me a new set of rears with a better offset to give it a bigger lip in the rear . They have some of the best customer service and their wheel quality is top notch .
    Click here to enlarge

TIME TO MOVE ON !

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, I'm thinking dawn dish soap, I've used it before works pretty good; and even safe for the hands! lol

Good idea on the waxing. I will be doing a pretty thorough detail job on the whole car including a good waxing when I get the wheels cause that's about the same time I'll have the car back from the shop and it's filthy right now. Plus it has some new CF pieces including a hood, and want all of that waxed as well.

I'm thinking since mine will be painted and then clear coated I should have better luck. It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of clear coat issues on bare metal or a brushed surface.

I mean, the results aren't so great for HRE if you research their wheels peeling, but I heard it's better now that it's in house.
    Don't wash with Dawn. That will strip the car's/wheel's wax/sealant.

I tend to use sonax as a wheel cleaner, thing will get even the most caked on brake dust off. However, for gentle cleans take a spray bottle (say 16oz) fill it with 1-2 oz of Optimum No rinse Wash & Shine (about $20 for 32oz at most on-line detailing places), fill rest up with water and spray the wheels down every week or so and go over with a clean microfiber towel that you will only use for your wheels.

Don't use wax, use a sealant or use a sealant - let it cure then apply wax. Sealants last longer.

OR get something like Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour, it'll run you about $30 for 15ml which is enough to do 4 wheels, but it should protect the wheels for about a year if applied correctly.

either way, open the box of wheels, wipe them down with a dilution of rubbing alcohol and water before you do anything. I would recommend you clay bar them next, then go over with a sealant, sealant and wax, or the C5 (or similar type of product).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    Don't wash with Dawn. That will strip the car's/wheel's wax/sealant.

I tend to use sonax as a wheel cleaner, thing will get even the most caked on brake dust off. However, for gentle cleans take a spray bottle (say 16oz) fill it with 1-2 oz of Optimum No rinse Wash & Shine (about $20 for 32oz at most on-line detailing places), fill rest up with water and spray the wheels down every week or so and go over with a clean microfiber towel that you will only use for your wheels.

Don't use wax, use a sealant or use a sealant - let it cure then apply wax. Sealants last longer.

OR get something like Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour, it'll run you about $30 for 15ml which is enough to do 4 wheels, but it should protect the wheels for about a year if applied correctly.

either way, open the box of wheels, wipe them down with a dilution of rubbing alcohol and water before you do anything. I would recommend you clay bar them next, then go over with a sealant, sealant and wax, or the C5 (or similar type of product).
    Good info, thanks

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The key to keeping wheels nice is washing them once or twice a week no matter what. They won't pit or get tar stuck on them if you constantly keep them clean. Also, take them off in the winter and run stock wheels.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    The key to keeping wheels nice is washing them once or twice a week no matter what. They won't pit or get tar stuck on them if you constantly keep them clean. Also, take them off in the winter and run stock wheels.
    Stock wheels in the winter? Bob I'm in Florida...lol we have summer, fall, spring, then summer again

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ugh.... your lucky. Get some wheels already!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Ugh.... your lucky. Get some wheels already!
    lol I had 20" Vossen CV3's that looked great, but then I fell in love with a 2 piece BC Forged wheel so ordered a set in 18's and sold the Vossens, should be here in 3 weeks! I'll post pics once mounted, but that's after the car gets back from the shop and finished with the turbo kit.

Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12