Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: proTUNING Feaks || N55 Pro Tuning Now Available!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Post proTUNING Feaks || N55 Pro Tuning Now Available!

Click here to enlarge

We're happy to announce that we are now through our N55 beta testing phase with our pro tunes and are happy to announce availability to the general public.

General impressions on the N55 from what we've gathered thus far is that the N55 platform is certainly an efficient upgrade over the N54. N55's Valvetronic setup is well documented to improve airflow and its combustion chamber design and fuel injector spray pattern are all items that BMW has utilized from the factory to enhance and take a step forward from the N54. The only thing it seemingly lacks over the N54, at least on paper, is forged bottom end internals. That is not to say the N55 has lower power handling potential than the N54 as points of failure with high hp applications may be in other areas other than its cast crankshaft which is usually the last thing to worry about.

In terms of suggest N55 modifications we'd highly recommend an FMIC as a first upgrade on the N55 followed by a downpipe. N55 cars come with no catalytic converter on the midpipe. The N55 downpipe contains quite a restrictive twin-type catalytic converter that once removed (offroad/track applications only of course) frees up response and provides for higher efficiency and in turn power gains.

A huge thank you to all of our amazing beta testers who've helped gather invaluable data on the N55 in all sorts of ambients/weather, octane (ACN91, US 93, Euro 98/100/102 RON, E30), modifications (from stock to FBO) covering all available transmission combinations.

http://www.protuningfreaks.com/tunin...otune-bmw.html
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 02-21-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N55 World Record: 560WTQ, 11.4 ET / 123MPH
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 645WHP / 654WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record, Stock Motor: 573WHP / 537WTQ
    Website - Email

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Good stuff! Congrats on the release! When might we expect to see some dynos? And some PTF/VTT stage 2 tuning?
    2009 335i coupe PARTING OUT!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)

Thanks guys. Dynos will start to trickle in slowly but gains wise 15-30whp is typically what we're seeing over OTS maps. E85 blends with FBO see as much torque down low as the N54 (480-500wtq) without any issues but the OEM N55 turbo is simply unable to keep boost up with RPM. It starts to die off fairly rapidly past 4.7k rpm running close to 80% WGDC resulting in 370-390whp roughly.

I've seen some logs from other tuners pushing 100% WGDC on the N55 stock turbo but for now we won't be going there. For now our recommended approach will stay in this range as gains from pushing the turbo any harder are questionable at best IMHO and most likely will impact turbo longevity most of anything.

What is a bit fascinating is how much lower MBT is to reach the same torque levels as the N54 on the same octane Click here to enlarge It is important as ever to address all aspects of a tune accordingly including ignition timing and fuel with appropriate fuel scalar support for alternate fuels and not just a boost controller and I'm glad this option is available to us on the N55 as it has been on the N54 for a few years now.

In terms of VTT Stage 2 tuning we'll hopefully go there very soon.
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 02-18-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks guys. Dynos will start to trickle in slowly but gains wise 15-30whp is typically what we're seeing over OTS maps. E85 blends with FBO see as much torque down low as the N54 (480-500wtq) without any issues but the OEM N55 turbo is simply unable to keep boost up with RPM. It starts to die off fairly rapidly past 4.7k rpm running close to 80% WGDC resulting in 370-390whp roughly.

I've seen some logs from other tuners pushing 100% WGDC on the N55 stock turbo but for now we won't be going there. For now our recommended approach will stay in this range as gains from pushing the turbo any harder are questionable at best IMHO and most likely will impact turbo longevity most of anything.

What is a bit fascinating is how much lower MBT is to reach the same torque levels as the N54 on the same octane Click here to enlarge It is important as ever to address all aspects of a tune accordingly including ignition timing and fuel with appropriate fuel scalar support for alternate fuels and not just a boost controller and I'm glad this option is available to us on the N55 as it has been on the N54 for a few years now.

In terms of VTT Stage 2 tuning we'll hopefully go there very soon.
    So happy this is finally here...Click here to enlarge As you guys are now seeing, this turbo is woefully undersized for the motor, they used it for zero lag, and a solid 350hp. There are a lot of people considering a stage 1 upgrade, in our opinion the turbine wheel is the roadblock in these turbos not the compressor, same as the N54. If you are happy with 500 WTQ and 370-390 WHP, then the stock turbo will work great for you, if you want more, a stage 2 style upgrade is def going to be needed. Hopefully we can get D's magic fingers on a keyboard controlling one of our upgrades soon.
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N55 World Record: 560WTQ, 11.4 ET / 123MPH
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 645WHP / 654WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record, Stock Motor: 573WHP / 537WTQ
    Website - Email

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1673 Post(s)

Awesome. Glad to see the N55 is finally getting going with options!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Long over due! We need to see some quick n55's

Evolve Supercharged ///M3
    **Evolve E600 kit for sale, pm me for details**

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Long over due! We need to see some quick n55's
    Definitely! I'm quite impressed with the N55 so far. I can only imagine the additional improvements that BMW took with the coming S55 Click here to enlarge

On the N55 they've notably improved efficiency but on the top end the N55 OEM turbo runs out of air very quickly. They barely hold 15psi in the low 5k range. With the new twins on the S55 it should flow a lot better. Combine that with improved efficiency, forged internals, closed deck design, higher redline, DCT and manual that has built in anti-lag and you've got a winner Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Definitely! I'm quite impressed with the N55 so far. I can only imagine the additional improvements that BMW took with the coming S55 Click here to enlarge

On the N55 they've notably improved efficiency but on the top end the N55 OEM turbo runs out of air very quickly. They barely hold 15psi in the low 5k range. With the new twins on the S55 it should flow a lot better. Combine that with improved efficiency, forged internals, closed deck design, higher redline, DCT and manual that has built in anti-lag and you've got a winner Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Just checking if you got my email from last Friday, and the follow up from yesterday.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    And again checking if you received my email from last week and follow up from this week?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)

Yup, responded. Sorry about that Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Impressive work PTF, repped

Click here to enlarge
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 750 bhp
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 350 bhp
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will this tune work on the 640 (n55)?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)

Basically if Cobb supports it we can tune it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Curious if PTF as a company had any KPIs in regards to responsiveness?
    eg all emails regarding pro tunes in progress will be answered within 72 hours

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1673 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    Curious if PTF as a company had any KPIs in regards to responsiveness?
    eg all emails regarding pro tunes in progress will be answered within 72 hours
    I wish we were that big Click here to enlarge Luke, sent you a response to your email with logs from today...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Dzenno is a god of n54 and now n55 )

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)

@ncat10 thanks brother Click here to enlarge appreciate it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I wish we were that big Click here to enlarge Luke, sent you a response to your email with logs from today...
    Don't have to be big to put procedures and guidelines in place, that way you are prepared for growth. Set yourself up for success.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    Don't have to be big to put procedures and guidelines in place, that way you are prepared for growth. Set yourself up for success.
    Yea we're trying and we do have many in place already including live chat on our website as well as a support/trouble ticket system where all the support questions go into off of our website if/when we're not available on live chat. Each map update takes a while to do and any emails outside of map updates in most cases by far are responded almost instantly. We have been swamped due to recent group buys on our tuning which we will try to limit in number in the future. One thing to understand is that our tuning services are open and unlimited when it comes to reviews/tweaks over time. What happens is you have new customers coming all the time that you have to tend to but you also have customers whose tunes you've done a year ago coming in for reviews/feedback on their previously built maps and possible updates. It can be overwhelming at times but again we feel we're managing it very well and doing as best as we can but that doesn't mean we can't always improve like any other business. Thanks @Nugs, repped.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just ordered my N55 pro tune! I look forward to working with you Dzenno Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yea we're trying and we do have many in place already including live chat on our website as well as a support/trouble ticket system where all the support questions go into off of our website if/when we're not available on live chat. Each map update takes a while to do and any emails outside of map updates in most cases by far are responded almost instantly. We have been swamped due to recent group buys on our tuning which we will try to limit in number in the future. One thing to understand is that our tuning services are open and unlimited when it comes to reviews/tweaks over time. What happens is you have new customers coming all the time that you have to tend to but you also have customers whose tunes you've done a year ago coming in for reviews/feedback on their previously built maps and possible updates. It can be overwhelming at times but again we feel we're managing it very well and doing as best as we can but that doesn't mean we can't always improve like any other business. Thanks @Nugs, repped.
    Great customer service. Man you've come a long way in this community. Congrats.
    09 e92 335i, 440HP/500TQ: SOLD
    03 EVO 8, 600HP/500TQ: SOLD
    13 Nissan Maxima: Slow
    99 Eclipse GSX: Waiting for the track to open

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mr. Boost Click here to enlarge
    Just ordered my N55 pro tune! I look forward to working with you Dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Thank you sir!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Great customer service. Man you've come a long way in this community. Congrats.
    Thanks @bigdnno98

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mr. Boost Click here to enlarge
    You won't be disappointed. They are excellent - both their product and service.

-Rich
    E90 LCI 335i Black Sapphire (his)
    COBB/PTF proTUNE/Alpina/BMS Drop-in/PSS/Blizzak
    L322 Range Rover Java Black (hers)
    1969 Opel Gt Strato Blue (storage)
    Audi TT ALMS Misano Red - 1 of 500 in the US (storage)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast