Close

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    This is what hot rodding is all about... Bad ass for sure, kudos on a sick build.
    Thanks Sledge!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Fuel cell in for mock-up. Need to get a rubber gasket for under the flange.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Also managed to get the oil block finished and mounted to remote the filter and, but for spacers, which is waiting on pulley arrival, alternator bracket finished too.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    An insane build!!! I can't wait to see the final product. I wish I had your skills.
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    totally badass
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

With the kids home for the Summer, haven't had a chance to post an update the last few weekends. In no particular order.

The biggest worry with running the supercharger on the BMW S65 has been making sure we are properly cooled to prevent detonation. The biggest obstacle has been aesthetically getting a properly sized and designed radiator and intercooler to look right behind the í33 grille. Itís finally coming together. Heads up to Active Autowerke who did an amazing job building me an intercooler and mounting it to the grille so it all lays out at the 26 degree slope of the Grille and the outlet is a straight shot down the center of 3Ē tubing directly into the plenum. The mounted intercooler and grille is now in transit and on in its way to C&R to do up the radiator.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

In addition, adding extra cooling protection through the oil system. Just mocked up, welded in brackets and plumbed both the engine oil cooler and the supercharger oil cooler this past weekend, and finished milling a bracket for the reservoir for the supercharger since I couldn't find one commercially I liked and the one that came with it looked really too cheap to be mounted in such a prominent spot on an open firewall in a car that will run without hood, fenders and side panels. Decided to mount both coolers in the rear so the extra distance in the hose acts as additional cooler. Additionally ran mammoth 12AN lines and a NASCAR WIX filter for extra oil capacity for the motor. Put the engine oil cooler with a fan in the bottom of the trunk horizontally to draw fresh air over the rear end and I'll have a shroud made up to dump it out the other side out the back. I put the SC cooler on the passenger side just behind the rear bulkhead and just below the floor line. I'll mount the transmission cooler in the same spot on the driver's side. Need to pick up some additional fittings, much bigger rivnuts and fasteners to mount the hose length to the frame to finish it up, but here's where it was at at the end of the weekend.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I've crossed the bridge on exhaust layout and decided to shave the doors and run traditional side pipes which is what opened up the space for the SC and trans coolers. Been spending time with Active designing a custom set to work with the S65.

Of course every step forward seems to require a tweak to something Iíve done before and this time is no different. Donít believe the clearances for fittings and lines provided online when laying out components. The 12AN oil block fittings just hit the alternator belt. Fortunately, I had an open accessory pulley in the middle off the crank, so some aluminum spacers and a move 1 1/16th forward and will be all set.

Similarly finally got the belt for the SC from NAPA on Saturday and when went to install realized the belt tensioner the pulley layout is designed around to clear the frame puts tension counterclockwise and I need tension clockwise. After some expletive moments, discovered online and had confirmed yesterday that the tensioner for the much earlier E30 N52 is virtually the same design and puts tension clockwise. Even better, my buddy whoís been helping out when he can had a spare one in his toolbox.

The Getrag 6 speed manual transmission has a much smaller footprint and bell housing then the transmissions the Factory Five transmission tunnel was built for. Nationwide Auto Parts in Central Valley NY (who have been great to work with and through whom I sourced the drivetrain) cutout the stock M3 tunnel for me at a price I couldnít refuse so I can use it as a mold on the inside as I can go a little smaller and lay up my own out of glass. Began the process of mocking up the mold in place this weekend. It will mate up to the recently installed for mock-up firewall. Had to build a new lower driver side panel to mate with the footbox mods Iím doing in steel for the floor pedals with the master cylinders outside the footbox, but inset and under the firewall, yet accessible.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Last weekend I finally got around to start the install of the brakes and the 12.88 Wilwoods which I ordered with the kit and looked massive for the last six months in the box, just looked way too small on the HRE wheels up front. In addition, I hadnít really done anything about the rear yet. Thanks to the ffcars forum, the Wilwoods sold same day and will find a great home and look proportionally correct on a Cobra.

In keeping with the project as more of a traditional hot rod build, decided to do my own BBK kit. Found a set of brand new, but blemished (which is great because I was going to powdercoat to match anyway!) so massively discounted, 2013 ZR1 Brembo 4 piston rear calipers, and a set of Brembo 8 piston calipers off a Lamborghini Gallardo for the front. Iím in the process of finalizing an order of 380X34 slotted iron rotors all around with the Mustang GT hats up front and the correct BMW M3 parking brake hats in the rear. Plan is to put the Bridgeport to work and mill brackets out of the harder 7075 billet.

Click here to enlarge

Tons of other attention to lead time parts for the rest of the project, but thatís what I got for now. --I

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I absolutely love you are doing this in your garage. This is what being an automotive enthusiast is all about. When you cross that boundary between buying off the shelf parts and making your own things really begin to get fun. Creating something totally unique does not just pay off when you are done, the process is almost as enjoyable, albeit stressful sometimes. You definitely have my respect. Keep up the good work.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I absolutely love you are doing this in your garage. This is what being an automotive enthusiast is all about. When you cross that boundary between buying off the shelf parts and making your own things really begin to get fun. Creating something totally unique does not just pay off when you are done, the process is almost as enjoyable, albeit stressful sometimes. You definitely have my respect. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks. This one really is all about the journey!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That looks just plain amazing.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Man, I love this build. Much better than a low budget LS1 IMHO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks guys!!!

How's that for an amazing custom job from Active Autowerke!!!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is it just me or does it look like there is a dent in the top?

Perfect fitment though!
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Is it just me or does it look like there is a dent in the top?

Perfect fitment though!
    Wasn't last time I saw it! Sure hope not!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amazing build!
    '07 e90 335i 6AT | BMS JB4 ISO5 | BMS DCI | BB Flash | Walbro 455 | ER CP w/TiAL BOV | AA FMIC | N54Tuning DP's |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Considering I grew up around all the old school stuff considering my grandpa and both of my uncles have 500+ hp muscle cars - This is a sick build - need more updates!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    imagine getting a DCT to work with that somehow lol
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    imagine getting a DCT to work with that somehow lol
    The DCT is cool, but a hot rod just screams out for an MT IMHO Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xShadows Click here to enlarge
    Considering I grew up around all the old school stuff considering my grandpa and both of my uncles have 500+ hp muscle cars - This is a sick build - need more updates!
    Sorry about lack of updates last few weeks. With the kids home from school and a sizzling acquisition market keeping me crazed at work it's been hard to find time in the garage. That said, both kids leave middle of next month and I've been as busy as a squirrel hoarding nuts gathering parts and finalizing design decisions for a big end of Summer early fall push to get it running.

1. Front Hubs. The FF comes with Mustang Hubs, 4.5"X5 lug pattern. In the rear, I have the M3 hubs with 5X120 lugs. The Lambo wheels I'm running are also 5x120. After a year of research, it turns out the Mustang hubs are industry standard part number 313115 and the e46 M3 front hubs are 313125, and they are almost identical. The Mustang kingpin is smaller than the e46. With one pair of both hubs, I'm having a machine shop turn down the larger races on the Mustang Hubs to fit the e46, which will now allow the e46 hubs to fit on the Mustang kingpins with 5X120 lug pattern all around. Should be back from the machine shop by the weekend. At the same time, I'm having the Lambo wheels center bore enlarged to fit the BMW hubs.

2. I've spent a great deal of time designing the brakes, but didn't want to order rotors till I settled and solved the lug pattern on the front hubs. Alex at Racing Brakes has been amazing!!!! I needed a shallow rotor, a 5X120 pattern, and the correct anulus to fit the Brembo 8 pot Gallardo front calipers and the Brembo 4 pot ZR1 calipers in the rear. Has been like trying to find a needle in a haystack, and I was coming to the conclusion that I was going to be machining my own hats, but the 2009 CTSV 370X34 rotors seem to fit the bill on all counts, which is what I'll be running on all four corners with very aggressive pads. Ordered 7075 aluminum on EBAY and have began roughing out the brackets on the Bridgeport. To get the parking brake to work, I've abandoned the M3 drum set-up and picked up a pair of Brembo handbrake calipers on EBAY off an F430 Ferrari. I found a motorcycle shop to make custom ebrake cables. More 7075 for the handbrake brackets.

In Summary, front is 8 pot Lambo Gallardo Brembo's with 370X34 RB rotors, rear is 4 pot ZR1 Brembo's with 370X34 RB Rotors and Brembo (Ferrari F430) handbrake calipers.

3. Serpentine Belts. With the oil fittings mounted I needed to move the water pump/alternator belt one slot forward. I have a machine shop lathe turning a balanced spacer for the water pump and I'll use bushings to move the alternator forward.

4. The Active kit came with a counterclockwise tensioner. To clear the frame I need a clockwise tensioner. Has been another needle in a haystack search, but have one coming in the mail this week and fingers crossed will work.

5. Fair amount of time with C&R finalizing the radiator, The Driveshaft Shop finalizing the carbon shaft and KMS on the EMS. Turns out the Pectel ECU is designed to work with one electronic throttle (fly by wire) and secondary air is read as a second throttle. KMS is testing a design to run both this week.

6. Check out the two part series on the build that Active Autowerke put up recently on their blog.

Part 1: http://activeautowerkeblog.wordpress...sche-graffiti/

Part 2:
    http://activeautowerkeblog.wordpress...graffiti-pt-2/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ​Thanks guys, really appreciate it. Got some good help this weekend. Finally got the pedal box sorted.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Also started mocking up my exhaust w/ Active's test tubes and high flow cats this weekend. Trimmed the frame braces and will put in reinforcing plate. Has taken a great deal of time to get the pedals, exhaust and steering to play nice together. Cats will go on either side of the trans in middle of the test tubes shown between the sensor bungs. You can also see raised the front tabs for the steering column to lower the steering wheel which just felt too high. Clinches the need for a steering wheel quick release.

Click here to enlarge

Finally, finished plumbing the AA supercharger cooling system w/ XRP braided ss AN6 hose and the oil system w/ a massive AN12, got the e46 front hubs back from the machine shop and mounted and started milling brackets for the front brakes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good lord!!! Subbed on this sweet chaos!! LOVE the build man!!!!
    -08 E92 Brushed Steel DCT 613hp-
    -ESS/AR 700 - KW V3's - AR Design - Volk TE37 - Vorsteiner - Challenge-
    -2012 Brushed Red Aluminum GTR-
    - Jacks 3.8 w/ Jacks heads - Jacks Drag 800 w/ billet gears - AAM GT-900R - Swift - ADV.1 - Ecutek via Visconti -
    - 1060hp 852tq 32psi - 9.34 @150mph 7688ft DA - 185.5mph 1/2 mile 9240ft DA -
    http://www.jackstransmissions.com/
    http://store.vtune.us/
    http://www.revvolution.com/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    One year ago this morning I was in Boston on my way to pick up a rental truck on my way to Factory Five to pick up a very trimmed (but in hindsight not quite trimmed enough) stage 1 kit plus body. What an amazing year itís been. The goal was to build a traditional badass looking hot rod that gives no hint from 20 feet away it housed a European high revving sportscar drivetrain and full IRS suspension. The juryís still out, but the dream is progressing Ė and boy am I having fun!

What started as a 14,600 mile dropout from a wrecked S65 powered BMW M3 is now just a 6 page to do list away over the next few weeks to hopefully get it to the running milestone. While I knew and planned on building a cradle for the rear end, and engine and transmission mounts for the BMW drivetrain, I exponentially underestimated the fact that to get this drivetrain to play nice in the FFR chassis would require fabricating or tweaking virtually every mount, tab, bracket or other part to make it all fit. Add in a centrifugal supercharger to boost the motor to an expected 700+ HP and the project has lived up to the moniker In33anity.

Iíve learned that one thing always leads to another. Case in point, the S65 has the alternator mounted low next to the oil pan on the driverís side, but the FFR chassis is too narrow to fit (and the steering is in the way). After a great deal of thought, only place to fit it was above the valve cover on the passenger side. But the OEM oil filter was in the way of getting a belt to make it to the new location. No one makes a remote kit for the S65 and the plate was way too complicated to try at home. I tracked down the manufacturer of the block-off plate oil block for the racing dry sump kit (after months of measuring and toying with the idea, concluded no room for the dry sump pump), modified it with 12AN weld-in bungs and the remote oil filter set-up was ready to go. No after-market alternator brackets are available for this motor, so I ended up having to mill my own. Of course the belt to the waterpump was now going to hit the new oil lines for the remote system so I ended up having a balanced spacer built to move the pulley out. From start to finish this probably took 6 months. Virtually every system on this project has a story like this! At any one time there are several workstreams running simultaneously like this one.

Hereís a pic of the oil block I found to fit the crazy OEM gasket and ports on the engine block. The finished set-up is pictured further down.

Click here to enlarge

I originally budgeted a month or so to get the drivetrain mounted and then get the chassis powdercoated for the rest of the build. I quickly discovered the folly in that idea. A year in, weld-in tweaks havenít stopped! Current plan is to get it running, weld in a list of tweakís and brackets (bumper, grille, radiator and intercooler support, upper harness tabs, exhaust mounts, rear bump stop brackets, etc.) then tear it all down for paint, chrome, powdercoat and anodizing, as the case may be.

Iíve made a ton of friends along the way, including on this forum! Of particular note is a BMW dealer tech who has thrown his soul and incredible talents into assisting on this project in his spare time. Critical to the project has been the invaluably helpful support of some amazing vendors willing to put their very best into one off designs for this project Ė Active Autowerke, The Driveshaft Shop, VAC Motorsport, KMS Racing Engines, Cosworth, C&R Racing, Fuelsafe. Huge shoutout this week to The Driveshaft Shop whoís provided advice on layout of the drivetrain from the very beginning and this week delivered a custom dropdead gorgeous carbon fiber shaft. Went in this weekend.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

So after a year, hereís a couple of picís of what I started with and where I am today.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Hereís a sequence of pics of the installation of the BMW 5-link IRS rear-end. First, notice in the second pic how the FFR chassis doesnít come close to extending far enough to accommodate the rear. Final pic showís the finished rear of the chassis (and the new fuel tank location with the Fuelsafe cell).

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Anyway, signing off to head back out to the garage for some more!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    2008 E92 335i- HP: 423 TRQ: 453 - Sold
    Vishnu- Pocede
    Active Autowerke - Intercooler
    Active Autowerke - Charge pipe/BOV
    Active Autowerke - 3" Downpipes
    Active Autowerke - Signature Exhaust
    BMS -DCI

2014 F30 335i M Sport
    BMS- JB4 (EWG/E85/OBDII Canbus)
    BMS- Intake

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks Crazylegs, really appreciate it!!!!

What I hope will be the last major design obstacle to get the S65 to running phase has finally been overcome!!! Albany DMV has been insistent that to register this project in New York with a 2008 motor in the FFR ’33 it needs to have a functional secondary air system since the motor came with one from the factory. The problem encountered is the Cosworth Pectel SQ6M ECU only has capacity for one fly-by-wire throttle and it reads secondary air as if it were a fly-by-wire throttle!!! Since I’m already going to be running fly-by-wire (Tilton pedal with the fly-by-wire accessory, Penny and Giles sensor and reflashed BMW OEM throttle actuators), we had hit a wall. Turns out Volkswagon runs virtually an identical pump to the BMW with a slightly different stepper motor that KMS Racing Engines, who is building my EMS was able to reflash and run in a second shadow sytem that will only run at start-up, shut off completely at 3000 rpm, and have a manual shut-off switch so can leave it off altogether for racing applications. In final testing and hopefully ready to ship by the end of the week. Has been a real nagging issue for months as what fun is it to build a car if you can’t get it registered to drive!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by In33anity Click here to enlarge
    Albany DMV has been insistent that to register this project in New York with a 2008 motor in the FFR ’33 it needs to have a functional secondary air system since the motor came with one from the factory. The problem encountered is the Cosworth Pectel SQ6M ECU only has capacity for one fly-by-wire throttle and it reads secondary air as if it were a fly-by-wire throttle!!! Since I’m already going to be running fly-by-wire (Tilton pedal with the fly-by-wire accessory, Penny and Giles sensor and reflashed BMW OEM throttle actuators), we had hit a wall. Turns out Volkswagon runs virtually an identical pump to the BMW with a slightly different stepper motor that KMS Racing Engines, who is building my EMS was able to reflash and run in a second shadow sytem that will only run at start-up, shut off completely at 3000 rpm, and have a manual shut-off switch so can leave it off altogether for racing applications. In final testing and hopefully ready to ship by the end of the week. Has been a real nagging issue for months as what fun is it to build a car if you can’t get it registered to drive!
    The DMV... always making life harder than it needs to be.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The DMV... always making life harder than it needs to be.
    Everyone at DMV drives a Prius.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I finally got some time off and made it a long weekend of rest and car building!!! Had my BMW dealer tech friend come out to help for a good chunk of the weekend too. Although the design and execution of the radiator and ECM have both been in the works since the beginning of the year, both are to be shipped in the next two weeks. Armed with that knowledge, my focus has been on getting everything buttoned down and prepped for a hoped for by Thanksgiving start, and tackling anything that requires welding on the chassis so that can tear it down for powdercoat soon after start (building 1000 feet from the Ocean I don't want to leave the steel bare any longer than absolutely necessary.).

Although not terribly photogenic, switched out all the drivetrain mounting bolts to ARP and torqued in place, got the headers mounted, secondary vacuum valves installed, switched out the bolts and torqued in the alternator bracket. Drivetrain is now in solid for start. Had the local machine shop modify the thermostat housing and weld in massive 20AN aluminum bungs for fittings for the radiator hoses.

Click here to enlarge

New York requires bumpers to be registered. I had really liked the clean simple look of the Moal rear bumper for the í32 (- Moal Coachbuilders -), but alas upon inquiry they have discontinued making them. Decided to put the bender to good use and make it from the same 1 1/4 stock as Moal myself. Found the tips online at a chopper shop. You can also see in the pics that got weld nuts in for the rear oil cooler and got that mounted as well. Couldn't get a good vantage point for a straight from behind shot of the bumper. They're removable with the brackets welded in. Front is less obvious to me and will decide what to do after the grille, IC, and radiator are in.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Then moved on to start the rear sheetmetal (Iím guessing this might have been a bit easier if the FF CNC cut pieces fit the post modded chassis) and got the upper harness tabs welded in, as well as finished mounting the fuel cell with a gasket made from McMaster Carr cork and ARP bolts.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

While the front brakes layed out without a hitch, the upper ear on the ZR1 rear calipers interfered with a suspension knuckle and no matter what I did, could not find a location to make it work. Long Island has three certified old school tool and die makers left and I am lucky to have one nearby. First pic is the caliper pre-surgery, the second is a progress pic taken Saturday after he bored holes and welded in dowels, etc., but before finish milling and grinding. Idea is a bolt-on 4 piston Brembo as if it were made for the M3 spindle. And hey, I was going to have the calipers powdercoated anyway.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast