Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 step anti-lag E46 M3

Soon my friends...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Taza, we need more details on this.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Well, this is a video shot yesterday ive been playing around with my AEM EMS. Ive been doing some slight revisions to my idle that seem to make the car smoother. I decided to turn on my 2 step and spool the turbo alittle at a stop. This is with a soft cut, fuel cut at 6000, ign cut at 5500 and retard rev at 5400 (I think). I can make more boost but its making around 10psi at 5500rpm right now, good enough for a launch. If i had a bulletproof rear end I would love to make 20+psi at a launch, this car would be in the 9's for sure... I might use it for the 1/4 mile event next month but still not sure I want to break something. From what ive seen this is the first e46 m3 with 2 step and anti lag type setup, this is what the big boy turbo cars use to run incredible 1/4 mile times.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TaZaM3 Click here to enlarge
    I might use it for the 1/4 mile event next month but still not sure I want to break something.
    What's the point if you don't use it? We need to set some impressive times, if it breaks, fix it and try again. I understand your apprehension as the E46 isn't too beefy for the strip and things can and do break.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

what is this 2 step thingy anti-lag thing?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
    what is this 2 step thingy anti-lag thing?
    Taza needs to explain it a bit more in depth but basically he is saying it allows him to launch with boost off the line, around 15 psi.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

isnt that kinda like brake boosting?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
    isnt that kinda like brake boosting?
    Yes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

2 step control allows you to keep the car from moving with your foot to the floor. You engage it, hit the gas pedal and allow the engine to rev until it hits the limiter you have set. Since you have the throttle wide open the car is taking it more air...allowing you to burn more and spool the turbo a bit before you leave the line...but not banging against the factory limiter. Yes its a bit harsh on drivetrain bits but with some fine tuning you can actually set it so it helps you leave the line without shocking the rear end or the axles...kind of like feeding the clutch out.

As MSD 7AL box will do the same thing for the cars with less sophistication in the ECU. I know the Haltech will have it enabled when I get the E28 up hehe...along with fuel injectors on during overrun. Will gas mileage suck? Yup. Will it possibly melt the rear bumper? You betcha Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

2-steps have been around a while. matt explained it well, i was going to give a much more laymens explanation until i read his Click here to enlarge matt how do you launch hard without it being harsh on the driveshaft, axles or rear end. yeah you can baby the clutch but then you burn clutch Click here to enlarge and if you pop the clutch its harsh on the drivetrain? is it in the tuning? or something im missing here.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What's the point if you don't use it? We need to set some impressive times, if it breaks, fix it and try again. I understand your apprehension as the E46 isn't too beefy for the strip and things can and do break.
    Amen! Glad to see a 2 step come to life with these cars. I'm suprised it didn't happen sooner with HPF's AEM system.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Remember, 2-step and anti-lag are two different things.

Anti-lag will actually run rich/retard timing during a shift resulting in late combustion in the cylinder and causing an explosion in the exhaust manifold right before grabbing the next gear, kind of "quick-spooling" the turbo. Some systems even provide their own combustion air to the exhaust manifold.

2-step is just as Taza explained, and only used during launches.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey guys,

The 2 step feature on the AEM EMS can do lots of things, ive been connecting to my AEM EMS lately to log stuff and play around with settings. I activated my 2 step with the vehicle speed setting which will turn on the 2 step when the car is under a set MPH (i set at 5mph). So at 0-5mph when i press the throttle fully the RPM will go up to my set limit (2 step). The 2 step basically means you have 2 rev limits, the first main step is the main redline which for me is 8400 rpm. The 2nd step which is now activated at below 5mph is at around 5500 rpm. Now on top of the 2 step i set im also retarding my ignition at 5400rpm. This is causing the turbo to spool up, I can lower the setting to 5300 or less and get even more spool up if need be. I would love to do this once i get the DSS axle's and driveshaft, leaving the line at 20+psi to a full 35psi with my setup and tires I can surely be in the 9's at the 1/4 mile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Yep, the axles and driveshaft are going to be necessary. How about a driveshaft loop as well? With that much power, I think you should be on the safe side.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep, the axles and driveshaft are going to be necessary. How about a driveshaft loop as well? With that much power, I think you should be on the safe side.
    Sure, drive-shaft loop is pretty easy once you find a place to mount it, they are also relatively cheap. The axles and driveshaft are the expensive parts. If someone sponsors me with parts for the first 10 and possibly 9 second E46 M3 then I can do this by next month! I just don't have 2k+ to spend right now on this car.

Better yet Sticky, Bimmerboost should sponsor me and we can do a nice cover up when it runs at the track...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

If someone sponsors me with parts for the first 10 and possibly 9 second E46 M3 then I can do this by next month! I just don't have 2k+ to spend right now on this car.
    Heh, good luck. I have been pushing the E92 and have a forum where I could advertise and get exposure for all the parts and don't get sponsored with jack $#@!.

Better yet Sticky, Bimmerboost should sponsor me and we can do a nice cover up when it runs at the track...
    So how many stickers would you like?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lol send it over buddy... Send over the parts with them lol...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Lol send it over buddy... Send over the parts with them lol...
    And here I thought you would help because you were a good person.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And here I thought you would help because you were a good person.
    Damn it man, i am a good person with no money..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

sounds interesting indeed, cant wait to see results!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Damn it man, i am a good person with no money..
    I have the same problem.

Not to worry though, I have plenty of stickers for you and a video camera. We will get by somehow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

umm besides explaining what a 2 step is, your car sounds $#@!in BEAST dude
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    umm besides explaining what a 2 step is, your car sounds $#@!in BEAST dude
    I want to emphasize this as well, I'm surprised just how good and how mean his car sounds.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If someone sponsors me with parts for the first 10 and possibly 9 second E46 M3 then I can do this by next month! I just don't have 2k+ to spend right now on this car.
    Maybe we can end up swapping notes. I'm still several weeks, if not months away from getting my car finished though. I'm doing pretty much everything you have discussed so far with my HPF build. I'm hoping for 850-900 RWHP, OS Giken 3 disc, fully built IRS and diff, electronics etc.. I'm obviously heavier with a convertible though.

I gave some serious thought to going with a live axle setup, but I'm just not quite ready to give up the driving experience of the IRS. If I find myself breaking stuff, I won't hesitate though to go with a 9" Ford live axle. I've got some "back halving" experience and there is a robust aftermarket for custom 9" Ford live axle setups. In fact, it would cost about the same to go live axle instead of just adding DSS axles, drive shaft, diff etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
    I gave some serious thought to going with a live axle setup, but I'm just not quite ready to give up the driving experience of the IRS. If I find myself breaking stuff, I won't hesitate though to go with a 9" Ford live axle. I've got some "back halving" experience and there is a robust aftermarket for custom 9" Ford live axle setups. In fact, it would cost about the same to go live axle instead of just adding DSS axles, drive shaft, diff etc.
    Has anyone even attempted this with an E46?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast