Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Cool First post, and brain is hurting...completely new to the tuning scene...

Hey guys, I've been reading a lot of these forums and well...frankly I'm kind of lost. Ha...is there a site I can go to to get a basic knowledge?

So basically, what I'm trying to do is simply tune my 2008 535i to pump out some good numbers. I'm not going to race it on a track or anything, but I'd love to be able to customize my tune and not spend a TON of money. I hope to hear from some great recommendations from you guys...and links help the most!

BTW, any local bimmer customizers in or near Greensboro, NC? Hit me up.

Appreciate it guys! Click here to enlarge

Teebok

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

This is the right place for any level of info you want. That's why we are here, to help you with your questions.

You want more power, nothing extreme, and to not spend a lot of money. Well, sounds like BMS is what you are looking for.

You have multiple options from them, one of these should meet your needs:

BMS JB+ - plug and play quick install, 30-60 hp gains. $279. Very mild upgrade!

If you are interested in more hp:

JB3 plug and play - 80+ hp for $529. There is also a pinout version for $349 but from the sound of it, I would recommend you go with the plug and play.

A good dual cone intake is a great upgrade as well. You will not find better tunes for the money than what BMS offers.

Oh, and welcome.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Dang fast reply! Click here to enlarge

Hmm...I went to a local shop here and the owner used to race BMW's on a somewhat professional level and he didn't tell me the name of the actual turbo tune, but he quoted me about 600-700 bucks depending on the install. I would have to check it with him to see what he was exactly talking about.

Now I did have a question: I read the comparisons of tune ECU's that's stickied here, and I was wondering, because my car is still under warranty (and we all know it's really expensive to fix our cars), does this JB3 clear the fault codes or anything? I only have a year left so I don't foresee any issues with me getting something that would void warranty, but at the same time I would love to get one that I could clear codes with.

In addition, I was thinking about getting exhaust and other small things like that. Any that I should look at in particular? I wouldn't want anything super loud but a low throaty growl would be amazing. I'm on the fence about getting dual exhaust (dualtip or quadtip) as opposed to a single exhaust set up...pros/cons?

What is a good company to order from? And what brand of intake system should I look at?

Haha, sorry for the numerous questions, just looking set up my car right...it deserves it!

Thanks again.

Teebok

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hworang00 Click here to enlarge
    Hmm...I went to a local shop here and the owner used to race BMW's on a somewhat professional level and he didn't tell me the name of the actual turbo tune, but he quoted me about 600-700 bucks depending on the install. I would have to check it with him to see what he was exactly talking about.
    Install should run you no money with a plug and play. You do it yourself in like 5 minutes Click here to enlarge 600-700 dollars is much more than you need to spend.

Now I did have a question: I read the comparisons of tune ECU's that's stickied here, and I was wondering, because my car is still under warranty (and we all know it's really expensive to fix our cars), does this JB3 clear the fault codes or anything? I only have a year left so I don't foresee any issues with me getting something that would void warranty, but at the same time I would love to get one that I could clear codes with.
    This is a common question. You can remove the JB3 and they can not detect it. However, to clear codes you need a Bavarian Technic tool. It is recommended to be on the safe side but not necessary: http://www.burgertuning.com/scanner.html

In addition, I was thinking about getting exhaust and other small things like that. Any that I should look at in particular? I wouldn't want anything super loud but a low throaty growl would be amazing. I'm on the fence about getting dual exhaust (dualtip or quadtip) as opposed to a single exhaust set up...pros/cons?
    I would recommend CP-E's exhaust, it meets all your needs.

What is a good company to order from? And what brand of intake system should I look at?
    This is your one stop shop for all your parts: http://www.burgertuning.com/

You should get their dual cone intake, can't beat it for the money.

Haha, sorry for the numerous questions, just looking set up my car right...it deserves it!
    No problem, thanks for posting your questions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Best help from sticky. i wish i had a bimmer to get help like this.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Best help from sticky. i wish i had a bimmer to get help like this.
    I make an effort for the members, site is for the users and I make sure they get the help they want quickly.

I find it astonishing people on other sites choose to ignore it and focus on negatives. Glad we have guys like you who get what it's really about though, thanks for the kind words.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Haha, I agree...I've NEVER had any help like this so quickly on ANY forum I've been to. I've got to say, there are lots of forums out there, but I'm very glad I picked this one. I'm already itching to order parts from Burger. Just gotta figure out my schedules so I can try and fit all this stuff myself, so I don't have to drop tons of money on install. I know where I'm coming for advice and feedback on my car from now on. Thanks for the great and really speedy help, Sticky. It's really appreciated!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Haha, I agree...I've NEVER had any help like this so quickly on ANY forum I've been to. I've got to say, there are lots of forums out there, but I'm very glad I picked this one. I'm already itching to order parts from Burger. Just gotta figure out my schedules so I can try and fit all this stuff myself, so I don't have to drop tons of money on install. I know where I'm coming for advice and feedback on my car from now on. Thanks for the great and really speedy help, Sticky. It's really appreciated!
    No problem, my pleasure, thanks for registering. The other forums are so big they don't have to try and their admins certainly do not.

Let us know what you order and how you like it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

This is a fantastic site and welcome to the N54 tuning scene.

I can personally second Sticky's recommendations, I have the Burger manufactured and recommended products in my car (JB3 tune, dual cone intake, Coolingmist VC2 meth, AMS FMIC, AR 3" Downpipes) and could not be happier with the performance.

I do drag race my car and am fairly competitive. Through Terry's products and recommondations I have achieved some pretty fantastic results with the JB3 as my tune.

You may also want to have a look at Vishnu tuning and the PROcede. It is another incredible product for our beloved N54 engines.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BMS+CP-E+bimmerboost= the best
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I make an effort for the members, site is for the users and I make sure the help they want quickly.

I find it astonishing people on other sites choose to ignore it and focus on negatives. Glad we have guys like you who get what it's really about though, thanks for the kind words.

hell yea man, i go on the vw forums and they're all sniviling $#@!es. all they say is dude have you used the search. blah blah. like stfu i'm here for help not for bashing and be put down.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Looks like they covered most of it. Any questions on our products in specific don't hesitate to email us. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Haha, man I'm still surprised by the level of helpfulness of this forum crowd. I've been checking out Burger, and once I can transfer from funds from my savings to my checking, I'm going to be ordering stuff really soon!

I can't seem to find any exhaust kits that are made for the 535i from cp-e. I looked on google and their website but only thing I seem to be getting is the Standback Engine Controller...any ideas where I can find one?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I can't seem to find any exhaust kits that are made for the 535i from cp-e. I looked on google and their website but only thing I seem to be getting is the Standback Engine Controller...any ideas where I can find one?
    My fault, I thought CP-E would have you covered with any N54 exhaust application. I would still double check with them, you can PM the username www.cp-e.com here to ask directly.

The other options you have are Dinan which is very low key and RPI. Dinan is $1400 and pretty low key. The RPI exhaust is $2400 and eliminates the secondary cats. I say go with Dinan and get a nice set of downpipes Click here to enlarge Much better option for more power, refined sound, and less money.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Ooooh, just youtubed the two different exhaust systems...I gotta say though I like the RPi over the dynan. The Dynan seems almost the same as the stock system and is only the muffler. With the RPi I get a full system, 10 whp boost, and it seems like a good exhaust system. Dang...now I gotta flex some more funds to mess around with. Hmmm wonder if any place will hook me up with no interest financing for a little while >_< hahaha.

This is going to sound dumb...but what's the benefit of eliminating the secondary cats over keeping the stock setup but with the Dinan muffler?

Again appreciate the help a lot!

Teebok

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Ooooh, just youtubed the two different exhaust systems...I gotta say though I like the RPi over the dynan. The Dynan seems almost the same as the stock system and is only the muffler. With the RPi I get a full system, 10 whp boost, and it seems like a good exhaust system.
    That's exactly right and also why you have the price difference. Dinan is very mild stuff.

This is going to sound dumb...but what's the benefit of eliminating the secondary cats over keeping the stock setup but with the Dinan muffle
    Doesn't sound dumb at all. You are removing a restriction in the exhaust system, eliminating those cats is where most of the power gain comes from. You will still keep your primaries.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is an N54 tune comparison charge stickied in this forum, suggest you have a look to see the differences in the tunes.

While BMS are sponsors of this forum also look at the Vishnu product, technically it is more advanced than the JB3 product. The next BMS version (still being developed by BMS) is supposed to close this gap but it's not on the market as yet, while the Vishnu has had things such as CPS offsetting, CANBUS integration, direct solenoid control for some time.

That said the Vishnu is more expensive, some users think the creator is a douche bag, customer service wise there are +ve and -ve reviews. But overall it's an excellent product and in current guise (i.e. JB3 vs V4) there have been fewer reported engine failures by people using the V4 than the JB3 - NOTE for the record I'm not suggesting the JB3 was the cause of the failure, just that it was in use at the time.

Seams you have a good local shop with some experience in tuning, print out the comparison chart and ask them for their opinion. Having a professional with no allegiance to one company or the other is probably worth it's weight in gold IMHO when working out which way you want to go tune wise. On the forums people tend to defend their choice of mods with gusto and they are not all experts in what makes good engine tuning sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WOPALX Click here to enlarge
    there have been fewer reported engine failures by people using the V4 than the JB3
    Reported? Hard to get reports where they are removed. Vishnu has blown motors as well.

The main thing the OP asked is not to spend a ton of money. Vishnu is a waste of money for his application.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

i love Tekken. lol

how did you find BimmerBoost?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was referring to the current tunes (JB3 and V4) and there is a 2 / 0 ratio I'm aware of, in both cases there were lots of mods on both cars and it was not proven that the tuning caused the issue. However 2 had issues that have been reported;

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ta-Style/page4
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...wer-boundaries.

The Vishnu isn't exactly a ton of money, yes it's more expensive but it does have features the JB3 does not have.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    i love Tekken. lol

how did you find BimmerBoost?
    I just googled different BMW forums and trolled for a few days...looking around...then I found this one, and it locked me out after a couple post views so I thought: "OMG, RESTRICTED ACCESS! I HAVE TO JOIN TO FIND OUT!" Haha...then I was actually really amazed at the fact that they post new members on a separate portion of the forum and announce it so people know. After that, Sticky locked me in about this forum with his quick and awesome replies!

I was referring to the current tunes (JB3 and V4) and there is a 2 / 0 ratio I'm aware of, in both cases there were lots of mods on both cars and it was not proven that the tuning caused the issue. However 2 had issues that have been reported;

The Vishnu isn't exactly a ton of money, yes it's more expensive but it does have features the JB3 does not have.
    I originally looked at the Vishnu because it has the ability to clear the fault codes, but as of now I'm leaning more towards BMS but I'm still going to do some searching on the forums to figure it out. I have NO experience on it, but I'm going to go ask at 2 local shops that were recommended to me through some tint and sound guys here, and also going to ask my cousin who tuned the HELL out of him E36. I'm not going to try to go past the power boundaries. I'd like to hit around the 375-380-whp mark or a little more or less, which I assume either the V4 or the JB3 will be able to do. Basically I want to harness the full potential of the engine that is in my car, without the help of meth and all that. I don't quite know the boundaries I can hit but more trolling and tuning will give me that.

If someone could give me the realistic boundaries that would be nice lol. I'm so lost about this kind of stuff, I used to have a 325Ci E36 but I decided it wasn't worth the money to tune because the small engine, but this car has an amazing engine already so... Click here to enlarge

I would LOVE to drop tons of money and make this car a GTR killer >_< but I'm a student without a job, so I'm basically just using my reserves to get this car moving a bit faster...but again any help will be greatly appreciated...with any aspect of my car really, eventually I want to go with new shoes on my car too but...I dunno haha...so much to think about!!!
    Last edited by hworang00; 10-17-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

It is a question of how much you want and how much you are willing to pay. I see no reason for the average user who does not want to push the limit to need to spend much more money. A quick, easy, reliable, and affordable power boost is all that is needed here. Also, with someone newer to the tuning scene BMS support is much, much better for them.

I'm very familiar with the issues reported but Vishnu has blown motors as well but goes out of their way to keep them under wraps. There are users here who have blown motors with the V4 who have been kept quiet. None of this has any application here as the user is not looking to push max boost to squeeze out every last horse or use meth: http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...d.php?t=103312

I would prefer to get the OP the help he requires for his application and leave politics out. If you wish to discuss any of this in further detail, please create a separate thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

I now of more than two blown N54 motors implicated with Vishnu tuning (and many more non N54s) and many more blown N54 turbos. But I also know of at least 4 stock motors that failed. For whatever that is worth. If you want to push things > 18psi with pump gas you better pay attention to details with any tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Hmm what about the CP-E Standback Engine Controller? I saw that other thread that's talking about 421 whp...that sounds nice lol...LMK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Hmm what about the CP-E Standback Engine Controller? I saw that other thread that's talking about 421 whp...that sounds nice lol...LMK
    Well, make sure you read through the whole thread, it isn't really 421 whp.

You need to establish your goals clearly. If you want HP, you should also look into a good downpipe setup.

You might get a taste of added power and go nuts Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast