Close

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    142
    Rep Points
    200.4
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

    Ported head,Schrick cams,Evolve Alpha-N

    One of my friends bought an E46 M3 with engine ticking noise.

    The rocker arms were worn out as well as the cams,so a top end rebuild was in order.

    We decided to rebuild and port the head,go for Schrick cams and rocker arms.
    While at it,replaced chains,chain guides and rod bearings.


    Sal did fly in and it took us almost a fully day to map the car with countless different calibrations for perfect power delivery and throttle response.

    Next mods are Supersprint stepped headers with cats and Evolve airbox.

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Posts
    2,696
    Rep Points
    2,103.1
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Awesome Build! Post up some dyno sheets.
    Click here to enlarge



    EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    142
    Rep Points
    200.4
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Reputation: Yes | No
    No Dyno after yet.

    Owner was too busy driving itClick here to enlarge

    No,seriously,dyno follows when intake and exhaust mods are installed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,159
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by S62R Click here to enlarge
    No Dyno after yet.

    Owner was too busy driving itClick here to enlarge

    No,seriously,dyno follows when intake and exhaust mods are installed.

    Yea he should take it easy for the first 1200 miles.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    137
    Rep Points
    249.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Nice! Any more details/pics of the ported head? Valve specs, flow numbers, etc. Also, which Schrick cams? Sub'd for dyno results.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,195
    Rep Points
    31,312.9
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm looking to see what this puts down and the flow gains are on the head. It's a good head to begin with.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    142
    Rep Points
    200.4
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stosh1 Click here to enlarge
    Nice! Any more details/pics of the ported head? Valve specs, flow numbers, etc. Also, which Schrick cams? Sub'd for dyno results.
    Cams are mild ones,280/272.

    Stock valves.

    We compared this car a few times with some very healthy stock S54 with Evolve mapping and it smacks them.


    The car has massive torque gains throughout the rpm range and serious top end power.
    If you know how a bone stock E39 M5 accelerates from 2500rpm in 3rd gear,you get an idea how quick that one is.
    And it keeps on pulling in 4th and 5th gear if you floor it at 2500-3000rpm.Not lifeless like a stock S54.

    Power at this stage should be 380ish on the crank,which is very realistic.

    After intake and exhaust mods we should be closing in on 400BHP..
    We will see soon enough on the dyno,once the last bits are done.

    On a personal note:

    I do not care about building a dyno queen engine.

    What my road car customers want is reliable performance combined with better than stock driving experience.

    None of them cares about the last 5hp 500rpm before the limiter if they have to trade off overall drive ability and engine characteristics or rebuild the engine every 2nd oil change..

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    137
    Rep Points
    249.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Sounds good so far man, and I like your attitude about building a functional, fun, reliable car. I too have a ported head/cam car & it is absolutely possible to have both! Still in for dyno results.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    142
    Rep Points
    200.4
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Reputation: Yes | No
    I will post dynos with the final mods,promised!

    Car is in winter storage now,but I think in march we do the intake and exhaust stuff.
    Also need to remove the valve cover to see how it looks inside and change oil.

    He drove 7k km or so last year after car was finished in spring.

    Have to post also some threads of the other engines I built last year,for example the low compression S50 turbo engine..

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,159
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Sweet
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    137
    Rep Points
    249.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by S62R Click here to enlarge
    I will post dynos with the final mods,promised!

    Car is in winter storage now,but I think in march we do the intake and exhaust stuff.
    Also need to remove the valve cover to see how it looks inside and change oil.

    He drove 7k km or so last year after car was finished in spring.

    Have to post also some threads of the other engines I built last year,for example the low compression S50 turbo engine..
    Sounds good! This is your friend's car-right? Did you perform the motor/assembly work? Where are you located? Also, not sure if you are aware, but these things can be remotely tuned now...and it's way more cost effective. Look forward to more updates!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Baltimore,MD
    Posts
    64
    Rep Points
    67.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Looks like a great build. What are your hp goals?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    142
    Rep Points
    200.4
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stosh1 Click here to enlarge
    Sounds good! This is your friend's car-right? Did you perform the motor/assembly work? Where are you located? Also, not sure if you are aware, but these things can be remotely tuned now...and it's way more cost effective. Look forward to more updates!

    I run a garage for BMW M road cars and Porsche race cars in Finland.

    Yes,I do all the engines myself.

    Machining and balancing engine parts to my specs is the only thing that is outsourced.

    I usually do not need the remote tools as I have a slave tool.

    Sal had to come over anyway being the god father of my son.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    137
    Rep Points
    249.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by S62R Click here to enlarge
    I run a garage for BMW M road cars and Porsche race cars in Finland.

    Yes,I do all the engines myself.

    Machining and balancing engine parts to my specs is the only thing that is outsourced.

    I usually do not need the remote tools as I have a slave tool.

    Sal had to come over anyway being the god father of my son.
    Ahh, that's pretty kool man, Finland-huh!? Well, keep up the good work over there, & post up some pics of some other cars if you get time!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    819
    Rep Points
    759.6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by S62R Click here to enlarge
    I run a garage for BMW M road cars and Porsche race cars in Finland.

    Yes,I do all the engines myself.

    Machining and balancing engine parts to my specs is the only thing that is outsourced.

    I usually do not need the remote tools as I have a slave tool.

    Sal had to come over anyway being the god father of my son.
    Wish you lived in California. Click here to enlarge

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    967
    Rep Points
    1,459.5
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Incredible work as always @S62R

    Please visit us in the States soon. I am begging the Evolve boys to cross the pond and cause trouble with us Click here to enlarge
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    142
    Rep Points
    200.4
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Incredible work as always @S62R

    Please visit us in the States soon. I am begging the Evolve boys to cross the pond and cause trouble with us Click here to enlarge

    Be careful what you wish for,mateClick here to enlarge

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    967
    Rep Points
    1,459.5
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by S62R Click here to enlarge
    Be careful what you wish for,mateClick here to enlarge
    Well now I'm scared...haha
    @evolve has been encouraging me to get in touch with you! Stay tuned for an email coming your way this week Click here to enlarge
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    142
    Rep Points
    200.4
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Well now I'm scared...haha
    @evolve has been encouraging me to get in touch with you! Stay tuned for an email coming your way this week Click here to enlarge

    If somehow possible rather give me a call.
    You got my number anyway..

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •