Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Leaking coolant reservoir tank?

Hey was wondering if anybody has experienced a leaking coolant tank, went to the dealer last week and had the first one replaced because of a split ( its a 2 piece tank ) So my coolant light came on again and I noticed some water spots on the side where the tank is and also in the cross of the bleeder valve ( on the coolant tank ) called my SA and he thinks I blew my head gasket??? Because of the pressure in the tank? I have no power losses, no smoke coming out of the exhaust, its running like a beast.

Any thoughts?

Anybody?
    2011 E90 335i Titanium Silver / BMW PPK / Cobb V3 Stg 2+Aggressive map / Custom MagnaFlow Exhaust / Cp-e 5" DP/ BMS intake /Afe intake scoops/ GS Stg 2 FMIC / Active Autowerkes CP / H&R Sport springs / CF wrap on roof / CF Front Splitter / CF Rear Deck Spoiler / CF Mirror Caps / CF License plate frame / Blacked out Emblems and Badges / Matte Black Kidney Grilles / BMS Angel eyes / Smoked Tail lights / Black window trim / 35% Tint / Black DR-37 Competition RimsClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Nobody helped you with this?
    @alex@ABRhouston

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Nobody helped you with this?
    @alex@ABRhouston
    Talked to my SA today and he said I blew a gasket at the oil cooler where the coolant goes into the cooler? Said it was done by too much pressure? Also said I have some "leakage" in the back of the motor, between the head and block, not sure yet if it's the gasket?
    2011 E90 335i Titanium Silver / BMW PPK / Cobb V3 Stg 2+Aggressive map / Custom MagnaFlow Exhaust / Cp-e 5" DP/ BMS intake /Afe intake scoops/ GS Stg 2 FMIC / Active Autowerkes CP / H&R Sport springs / CF wrap on roof / CF Front Splitter / CF Rear Deck Spoiler / CF Mirror Caps / CF License plate frame / Blacked out Emblems and Badges / Matte Black Kidney Grilles / BMS Angel eyes / Smoked Tail lights / Black window trim / 35% Tint / Black DR-37 Competition RimsClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMDUB1 Click here to enlarge
    Talked to my SA today and he said I blew a gasket at the oil cooler where the coolant goes into the cooler? Said it was done by too much pressure? Also said I have some "leakage" in the back of the motor, between the head and block, not sure yet if it's the gasket?
    Not sure what to tell you, when do you find out the full diagnosis?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Not sure what to tell you, when do you find out the full diagnosis?
    I pick the car up tomorrow, they are repairing the the oil cooler leak and cleaning the block/head to see if any more "leakage" comes back, and rechecking the car in 2 weeks and determine if the head gasket needs replaced, I will update the thread asap..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the head gasket was blown....Bmw is going to repair it under warranty, not sure how it happened? They are going to look at the head also, I had some issues when I had the Jb4 on with map 5, Im not blaming that, but there are other cars out there with more performance mods then mine... so we will see how it goes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Well the head gasket was blown....Bmw is going to repair it under warranty, not sure how it happened? They are going to look at the head also, I had some issues when I had the Jb4 on with map 5, Im not blaming that, but there are other cars out there with more performance mods then mine... so we will see how it goes.
    You never know. Still, blown head gasket isn't a huge deal they will get it fixed and your motor should feel stronger than ever.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You never know. Still, blown head gasket isn't a huge deal they will get it fixed and your motor should feel stronger than ever.
    Looks like I am getting a new block ( They said mine is shot? ) and new pistons and bearings? Won't have my car for 2 weeks.. at least I got a loaner :-) And almost new engine! ;-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Looks like I am getting a new block ( They said mine is shot? ) and new pistons and bearings? Won't have my car for 2 weeks.. at least I got a loaner :-) And almost new engine! ;-)
    Yeah you're practically getting a new engine... oh well, whatever, take it and run Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Wow, you need to thank your dealer. I was going to say that 99% of the time a blown headgasket is from detonation. Then you said they are replacing the block and you had issues with map 5, so that is very likely your problem.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JET Click here to enlarge
    Wow, you need to thank your dealer. I was going to say that 99% of the time a blown headgasket is from detonation. Then you said they are replacing the block and you had issues with map 5, so that is very likely your problem.
    Yes.. My car did not respond well to map 5 at all, I did all the right things to get it to "autolearn" doing 3 consecutive "pulls" in 3rd gear ( 3k-redline ) but it would stutter and and CEL would come on after I assume was a backfire? I changed out my tune to the Cobb V3 and it was just so much smoother.. but i guess the damage was done. Again I'm not saying the Jb4 caused it ( I'm just not sure ). Map 2 was much better IMO..