Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 64
  1. #26
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    @mjmarovi do u know what's the temp of the trans before the cooler and after?
    No idea, the cooler was just installed the other day and the car is not currently running. This is just one component of a major build including a single turbo conversion.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,666
    Rep Points
    2,806.7
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    29


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    I like that combo, I'm doing all of that except the valvebody, not sure how much that will help or not. I'll have to look into that, do you know how much the valvebody is off hand? And could you link Sammy'd DIY? I never saw that one.


    Doesn't look too bad. Wonder if you can to it with the box still bolted up, would appear you can as it's just bolted in fairly simply. As to how well it works, I honestly have no idea. Thereís another thread on a similar topic on the other forum, seems folks have had more success with LVL10 than I gave them credit for, so my fault for being overly negative towards LVL10. The LVL10 valve body is under $1K Iíll check exact price in a bit, labor doesnít seem horrendous so itís not like weíre looking at a turbo swap in terms of shop time. Iíd be very interested to see how the rest of the tranny held up with the above modifications. Between the AT flatline, fueling, and 6AT fix; this is the one that I think we can knock out first.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    228
    Rep Points
    146.2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    IF RBs can be done on the floor surely this can....looks straight forward!

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    228
    Rep Points
    146.2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Not much, it's a mishimoto universal trans cooler, comes fitted for Dash 8 lines, the shop cut and welded on black SS Dash 10 fittings and used black SS Dash 10 lines to hook it up, should add pretty significant cooling between the cooler, its placement, and the added trans oil capacity. Also doing stiffer transmission mounts and alpina flash

    I'm debating on sending a plastic trans oil pan to my buddy that owns a machine shop and see if he can machine me a billet one, not sure which metal to use though....
    Any pics how they tied it all in from the heat exchanger?

  5. #30
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 07Tundra Click here to enlarge
    Any pics how they tied it all in from the heat exchanger?
    That's all I have, can take more next time I'm up at the shop, but that will hopefully be when car is done
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  6. #31
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvhDXx4jojQ

    Doesn't look too bad. Wonder if you can to it with the box still bolted up, would appear you can as it's just bolted in fairly simply. As to how well it works, I honestly have no idea. There’s another thread on a similar topic on the other forum, seems folks have had more success with LVL10 than I gave them credit for, so my fault for being overly negative towards LVL10. The LVL10 valve body is under $1K I’ll check exact price in a bit, labor doesn’t seem horrendous so it’s not like we’re looking at a turbo swap in terms of shop time. I’d be very interested to see how the rest of the tranny held up with the above modifications. Between the AT flatline, fueling, and 6AT fix; this is the one that I think we can knock out first.
    Any info on the Lvl10 upgraded valvebody? I can't seem to find anything on their website or google search?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,377
    Rep Points
    32,769.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Any info on the Lvl10 upgraded valvebody? I can't seem to find anything on their website or google search?
    There isn't much on it.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  8. #33
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Points
    236.3
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Linracing Click here to enlarge
    Looking into keeping my transmission cooler than stock especially with putting more power down. Has anyone tried one of these?

    Thinking about going custom with this one.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-EXT...d2b4d8&vxp=mtr

    Attachment 35972
    I am using this same cooler in series with the factory cooler on a modded Ford Expedition. If it can keep a Ford E40D tranny cool (below 190F) when towing a 7000lb trailer, I think it should be up to the task on your car.
    Last edited by eric84405; 02-19-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: clarification

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ...For now
    Posts
    537
    Rep Points
    1,568.9
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    @abrhouston can we do something like this on my 135i?
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s



  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,377
    Rep Points
    32,769.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Njz Click here to enlarge
    @abrhouston can we do something like this on my 135i?
    @alex@ABRhouston
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ...For now
    Posts
    537
    Rep Points
    1,568.9
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    sorry sticky i was just looking for his full forum name when u did that. On the ball as usual I see.
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s



  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,312
    Rep Points
    1,722.8
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Yes Reputation No
    sorry guys- the mention thingie is in different spot than the subscribed threads area.

    we can make it happen with a little fab action
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    627
    Rep Points
    1,090.3
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    im gonna get -AN lines fitted before the heat exchanger for the lines going to trans and send them to a huge Setrab Oil cooler which will be mounted on drivers side. I will have a L10 VB and Tq converter tans im buying out of a customers car this week. will go in my car to get raped.
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    346
    Rep Points
    395.3
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Thinking of throwing this Mishimoto 19 row cooler in-line after the heat exchanger.
    Click here to enlarge
    N54 - FBO - MFactory LSD - 60% Corn Gas... 100% love

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ...For now
    Posts
    537
    Rep Points
    1,568.9
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Been thinking about doing this also...
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s



  16. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    412
    Rep Points
    518.6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Whatever happened to that guy who said there was an issue with line pressures dropping too much with an extra tranny cooler? He said his fab shop made some measurements and implied adding a cooler was bad, not enough pressure to push fluid through another cooler. But no data or other confirmation. Can't find the post right now but did anybody look into this more closely?

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,666
    Rep Points
    2,806.7
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    29


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    Whatever happened to that guy who said there was an issue with line pressures dropping too much with an extra tranny cooler? He said his fab shop made some measurements and implied adding a cooler was bad, not enough pressure to push fluid through another cooler. But no data or other confirmation. Can't find the post right now but did anybody look into this more closely?
    Hi.

    Alex and I had a chat about this probably a year or so ago. At the time we were getting ready to test fit a dedicated cooler on an E8x he had in his shop. It wasn't commercially viable or technically worthwhile for the aforementioned reasons. I can try and dig up the PMs we exchanged...Maybe something has changed since then, but at the time his perspective was that it was appreciably more complex than adding a larger oil cooler or something of that nature.


    Edit: From le horses' mouth "We tore apart the front end this morning, and things look grim. Honestly, there is no room on the driver's side. WHAT? yes, you heard right. If we just used the panel that is blocked off near the brake duct- its not gonna be big enough.

    I would have to make new brake ducts if we wanted to go bigger- and don't want to take away from brake cooling.


    Then the issue with getting to the transmission cooler lines and keeping pressure up. It goes directly in front and under the crankshaft. the heat exchanger is right in front of the power steering pulley. The boost tube is directly next to it- and the lines go towards the middle of the car. Lengthening them appreciably could cause some real issues.


    So to do this right, the exchanger would have to come out- and the aluminum tubes cut/welded on with AN fittings. then AN fittings plumbed 180* to go underneath the drivers frame rail.


    Then we got to thinking about putting a cooler in front of the radiator behind the kidney grills. that may be an easier spot.


    Then we go to thinking about buying another power steering cooler assembly, and modifying that to fit directly over the intercooler.


    I don't know if the return on investment is going to be worth it, honestly. I just don't know what to tell ya. yea, We could put a huge honkin cooler on the drivers side, but it would be a major major MAJOR pain to make it fit correctly and it doesn't address line pressure."
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    346
    Rep Points
    395.3
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    There have been several users who have installed ATF coolers ranging from a 4 row cooler to a 20 row setrab core. I'm now thinking that I'll try a downsized version, like this offered from Mishimoto under the kidney grills.

    http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-u...ler-15-75.html

    If we kept the hosing small enough we shouldn't see too dramatic of a pressure drop (I know, not very scientific)

    RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED AN ATF COOLER SUCCESSFULLY ON YOUR N54!
    N54 - FBO - MFactory LSD - 60% Corn Gas... 100% love

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    412
    Rep Points
    518.6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Hi.

    Alex and I had a chat about this probably a year or so ago. At the time we were getting ready to test fit a dedicated cooler on an E8x he had in his shop. It wasn't commercially viable or technically worthwhile for the aforementioned reasons. I can try and dig up the PMs we exchanged...Maybe something has changed since then, but at the time his perspective was that it was appreciably more complex than adding a larger oil cooler or something of that nature.


    Edit: From le horses' mouth "We tore apart the front end this morning, and things look grim. Honestly, there is no room on the driver's side. WHAT? yes, you heard right. If we just used the panel that is blocked off near the brake duct- its not gonna be big enough.

    I would have to make new brake ducts if we wanted to go bigger- and don't want to take away from brake cooling.


    Then the issue with getting to the transmission cooler lines and keeping pressure up. It goes directly in front and under the crankshaft. the heat exchanger is right in front of the power steering pulley. The boost tube is directly next to it- and the lines go towards the middle of the car. Lengthening them appreciably could cause some real issues.


    So to do this right, the exchanger would have to come out- and the aluminum tubes cut/welded on with AN fittings. then AN fittings plumbed 180* to go underneath the drivers frame rail.


    Then we got to thinking about putting a cooler in front of the radiator behind the kidney grills. that may be an easier spot.


    Then we go to thinking about buying another power steering cooler assembly, and modifying that to fit directly over the intercooler.


    I don't know if the return on investment is going to be worth it, honestly. I just don't know what to tell ya. yea, We could put a huge honkin cooler on the drivers side, but it would be a major major MAJOR pain to make it fit correctly and it doesn't address line pressure."
    OK so it was you, I couldn't remember who but thanks for posting this back up. There are options that wouldn't drop line pressure so much, like this, but who knows how well they'd do. Maybe it could be mounted in a location other than brake duct where it would get some air. Of course before starting anything like this you'd want to confirm fluid temps are in fact getting too hot, and then size appropriate cooler for needs.

    Click here to enlarge

    This is a two-pass but they also make single pass that would have even less flow restriction.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spxxx Click here to enlarge
    There have been several users who have installed ATF coolers ranging from a 4 row cooler to a 20 row setrab core. I'm now thinking that I'll try a downsized version, like this offered from Mishimoto under the kidney grills.

    http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-u...ler-15-75.html

    If we kept the hosing small enough we shouldn't see too dramatic of a pressure drop (I know, not very scientific)

    RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED AN ATF COOLER SUCCESSFULLY ON YOUR N54!
    Looks a lot like the one I have
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    467
    Rep Points
    499.7
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    for those who have installed an ATF cooler, did you retain the heat exchanger or remove it?

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    116
    Rep Points
    116.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Well, can't post link since my rep is too low. But you guys should look into CSF radiator for AT 335i. I and few others have made quite a few threads about these on e90post.

    Just spend the $400-500, and save yourself the trouble trying to rig some dedicated trans cooler that is not gurantee to work well. Plus you get both cooler trans fluid and cooler engine coolant as a result, it doesn't get any better than this.

    FYI, removing the heat exchanger is a very bad idea if you still drive the car on street, even worse if you live in a cool climate, considering your trans fluid will take a long time to warm up and causing unnecessary wear on the clutch packs.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    346
    Rep Points
    395.3
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cloud9blue Click here to enlarge
    Well, can't post link since my rep is too low. But you guys should look into CSF radiator for AT 335i. I and few others have made quite a few threads about these on e90post.

    Just spend the $400-500, and save yourself the trouble trying to rig some dedicated trans cooler that is not gurantee to work well. Plus you get both cooler trans fluid and cooler engine coolant as a result, it doesn't get any better than this.

    FYI, removing the heat exchanger is a very bad idea if you still drive the car on street, even worse if you live in a cool climate, considering your trans fluid will take a long time to warm up and causing unnecessary wear on the clutch packs.
    The tiny heat exchanger isn't going to cool the ATF much at all even with the CSF radiator. I have been considering that radiator though, running pure distilled and water wetter for now.
    N54 - FBO - MFactory LSD - 60% Corn Gas... 100% love

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    116
    Rep Points
    116.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    I disagree, liquid-to-liquid cooling/heating is vastly more effective than liquid-to-air cooling, simply due to the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of the liquid vs air. But again, neither of us have much hard data to argue about.

    With all the trouble of routing the additional lines, and possible pressure drop issue on a highly complex hydraulic actuated unit, the risk is not worth messing with the stock setup.

    Btw, how can we log the transmission fluid temperature? It might be possible that I can arrange a comparison of trans fluid temp between my CSF + 335is aux radiator and a local member with another AT car with similar power level but running with the stock cooling system, both cars can be on the same track at the same time.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    412
    Rep Points
    518.6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cloud9blue Click here to enlarge
    I disagree, liquid-to-liquid cooling/heating is vastly more effective than liquid-to-air cooling, simply due to the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of the liquid vs air. But again, neither of us have much hard data to argue about.

    With all the trouble of routing the additional lines, and possible pressure drop issue on a highly complex hydraulic actuated unit, the risk is not worth messing with the stock setup.

    Btw, how can we log the transmission fluid temperature? It might be possible that I can arrange a comparison of trans fluid temp between my CSF + 335is aux radiator and a local member with another AT car with similar power level but running with the stock cooling system, both cars can be on the same track at the same time.
    Agree that you need solid data before adding a cooler. I am pretty sure INPA lets you monitor trans fluid temps real time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •