Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That's a what if scenario. What if nothing happens? And the officer doesn't try to assert his authority? And everyone goes home happy?
    You're being ridiculous. I think after the explanation it is clear the fireman was in the wrong, and on top of that I'm sure things were said to also provoke said CHP even though he already had the right to handcuff the guy.

I will say though, throwing the guy in handcuffs doesn't move the truck, so if that was the main motive then what was done to move it after the fireman was handcuffed? As long as the truck was moved and the fireman was released after with no charges (which he was) I am actually proud that guy did handcuff him. If I was somehow involved I'd hate to see someone hurt cause of a big ego disorderly fireman
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    You're being ridiculous. I think after the explanation it is clear the fireman was in the wrong, and on top of that I'm sure things were said to also provoke said CHP even though he already had the right to handcuff the guy.

I will say though, throwing the guy in handcuffs doesn't move the truck, so if that was the main motive then what was done to move it after the fireman was handcuffed? As long as the truck was moved and the fireman was released after with no charges (which he was) I am actually proud that guy did handcuff him. If I was somehow involved I'd hate to see someone hurt cause of a big ego disorderly fireman
    I'm not doubting the reasoning I'm pointing out that using public safety as an excuse for actions is being stretched further and further by government officials. I once again stage I prefer a bit of danger to excessive control.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

I'm not doubting the reasoning I'm pointing out that using public safety as an excuse for actions is being stretched further and further by government officials. I once again stage I prefer a bit of danger to excessive control.
    I respect your opinion, however this isn't an example of government control. This is two government employees playing "who's got more power over the other" not power over citizens.

Unfortunately I fear for how bad off our country will become financially and oppressed with control before we the people stand up...AGAIN..and reclaim our freedom.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

I respect your opinion, however this isn't an example of government control. This is two government employees playing "who's got more power over the other" not power over citizens.
    No that's true but the manner even they are asserting power over one another is by leveraging 'safety' right?

Unfortunately I fear for how bad off our country will become financially and oppressed with control before we the people stand up...AGAIN..and reclaim our freedom.
    Make me dictator and I'll have things fixed by St. Patrick's day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I will say though, throwing the guy in handcuffs doesn't move the truck, so if that was the main motive then what was done to move it after the fireman was handcuffed?
    You're correct...after the firefighter was cuffed one of the fire Captains (there were a couple different engine companies on scene) moved the truck onto the center median/divide.

I'm not doubting the reasoning I'm pointing out that using public safety as an excuse for actions is being stretched further and further by government officials.
    I believe you are correct and I agree with you on this; it is happening more and more in our society.
    My arguments/comments are only about this incident, my opinion is that public safety was jeopardized and the officer had no choice but to act.

A little trivia for you...did you know that EVERY time a lane on a California state highway is blocked (meaning traffic can't flow because of an immediate and immoveable obstruction), a special form is required to be filled out by the CHP and submitted to....the Governor? Trust me when I tell you that Sacramento takes this kind of stuff very, very seriously Click here to enlarge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

however this isn't an example of government control. This is two government employees playing "who's got more power over the other" not power over citizens.
    BINGO! And that's the very reason this fire department and the CHP have a bit of egg on their respective faces.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blitz535i Click here to enlarge
    A little trivia for you...did you know that EVERY time a lane on a California state highway is blocked (meaning traffic can't flow because of an immediate and immoveable obstruction), a special form is required to be filled out by the CHP and submitted to....the Governor? Trust me when I tell you that Sacramento takes this kind of stuff very, very seriously
    I learned something new.

I believe you are correct and I agree with you on this; it is happening more and more in our society.
    My arguments/comments are only about this incident, my opinion is that public safety was jeopardized and the officer had no choice but to act.
    I agree the action does improve safety I just think I would be more inclined to support officers and my local police if they resolved issues more like human beings serving the public instead of asserting authority.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree the action does improve safety I just think I would be more inclined to support officers and my local police if they resolved issues more like human beings serving the public instead of asserting authority.
    The vast majority of officers are decent, honest, moral people....they better be when the badge they are wearing is a symbol of the public trust. Sadly, the officers who cross the lines and steal, use excessive force, go outside department policy, etc., and get their deeds "memorialized" on the evening news or YouTube gives us all the impression that cops are corrupt, heavy handed, above the law, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

The vast majority of officers are decent, honest, moral people...
    So are the vast majority of people they run into. I just hate how a few bad eggs on each side spoil it and make it so that each side assumes each encounter is going to be the worst.

I can tell you though that I have had cops abuse their authority with me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So are the vast majority of people they run into.
    Totally agree with you. The job of law enforcement comes with "great authority" and demands "great responsibility" when you assert this authority. Some never learn this and then we get bad cops.

I can tell you though that I have had cops abuse their authority with me.
    I have no doubt you speak the truth...I've been there as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

First off everyone needs to understand that the CHP (California Highway Patrol) becomes the Incident Commander as soon as they get on the scene of a freeway crash. Doesn't matter if the Los Angeles Police Department or the Orange County Sheriff got there first...once the CHP shows up they are in charge of the scene...what they say goes...PERIOD.

This accident happened on the 805 Northbound Freeway in the city of Chula Vista (San Diego). It was put out as a "major accident" so several different engine companies responded. Some of the firefighters (and fire trucks) responded via the NORTHBOUND lanes of the 805 freeway. When the got to the accident, they used their trucks to block the accident scene and protect all the emergency workers and accident victims from the northbound traffic. This is protocol and how it should be done.

Three fire trucks also responded via the SOUTHBOUND lanes of the 805 freeway. No problem with this, as the first two fire trucks pulled their rigs onto the center divider, hopped over the divider and began to render aid. The third fire truck, for reasons nobody knows, pulled up and parked immediately in the center of the #1 lane of traffic...completely blocking the lane and all southbound traffic in that lane.

"Lookey-loo" traffic is always an issue at an accident scene, now you add a full size fire truck parked in the center of the #1 lane of travel (at night) and you have a serious hazard to southbound traffic. One of the CHP officers saw this and he told the firefighter to move his truck out of the #1 lane and onto the shoulder so it wouldn't be obstructing traffic. The firefighter refused, was asked again, refused again, and was finally "told" to move his truck or he'd be arrested for violating the lawful order the CHP officer gave him (and yes, it was a lawful order).

The rest is history and we know how this ended. Remember I said that the CHP was the Incident Commander at a traffic collision on the freeway? That also means they take responsibility for the CARE of that scene, which means they will ultimately get sued if they allow that scene to be mismanaged to such a degree that another member of the "motoring public" gets injured because of their negligence or neglect to sterilize that scene.

If the firefighter had taken just a couple seconds to move his rig, this entire incident never would have happened. Maybe the CHP officer should have said "Pretty Please" when he asked the fireman to move his rig. Whatever, we all know cops and firefighters have egos, and they both think they are superior to each other and do a more important job than the other. They are both professionals and this never should have happened. Ultimately though, if a southbound vehicle slammed into that fire truck, the fire department and the CHP would both be liable, and be sued. That explains the officer's haste in wanting to move that truck out of the #1 lane.

The news coverage of this event (at least the clip that was linked) was missing lots of the pertinent facts. I'm sure if some of you knew that this firefighter's rig was parked blocking the SOUTHBOUND #1 lane and the accident was actually on the NORTHBOUND side of the freeway, this CHP officer's actions would have probably made sense.

I'm told the Captain of the fire house (whose truck was parked blocking traffic) called the CHP commissioner in Sacramento and apologized for his fireman's poor judgment and refusal to move the vehicle when directed to...and they would correct this with more training at his fire house.
    That was good. Click here to enlarge The news report definitely left out some important details (northbound lane accident, southbound lanes blocked) and I appreciate the info. If the driver of the truck blocking the southbound lane was the one cuffed, then I guess it makes sense, but it should have never got that far. Either egos got in the way or there is still more to the story.

In any event, all of the traffic caused by onlookers from the southbound lanes would never allow anyone to get up to any sufficient amount of speed to crash into the back of the firetruck. It was just adding to the congestion at that point.
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
    If the driver of the truck blocking the southbound lane was the one cuffed, then I guess it makes sense, but it should have never got that far.
    You're right, it should not have gotten this far, these guys are professionals and a solution should have been easy to come to/agree upon.

In any event, all of the traffic caused by onlookers from the southbound lanes would never allow anyone to get up to any sufficient amount of speed to crash into the back of the firetruck.
    Excellent point...however when this accident occurred traffic was actually very light on the southbound side of the 805 (not sure exactly what time of the evening/night this happened). If as you say the "onlooker traffic" going southbound was sufficient enough to slow or completely stop traffic then that engine in the #1 lane isn't an issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Excellent point...however when this accident occurred traffic was actually very light on the southbound side of the 805 (not sure exactly what time of the evening/night this happened). If as you say the "onlooker traffic" going southbound was sufficient enough to slow or completely stop traffic then that engine in the #1 lane isn't an issue.
    I'm assuming that traffic in CA is as bad as, if not worse than, it is here in Miami. The only time an accident on one side of a highway doesn't cause issues on the opposite side is when it just happened and there hasn't been enough time for the trickle down effect of every idiot slowing down to look, as if they've never seen an accident, to slow the oncoming traffic.
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The only time an accident on one side of a highway doesn't cause issues on the opposite side is when it just happened and there hasn't been enough time for the trickle down effect of every idiot slowing down to look, as if they've never seen an accident, to slow the oncoming traffic.
    Pretty much exactly accurate based on being a life long resident in Cali...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Here's a better one:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

what did the teen do?? if he his some piece of $#@! then f him

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
    what did the teen do?? if he his some piece of $#@! then f him
    Seriously?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

feel no sympathy for a guy that would hurt,rob,rape, or any other crime to a friend or family member or to anyone for that matter. if the guy switched lanes without signaling thats a different story

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
    feel no sympathy for a guy that would hurt,rob,rape, or any other crime to a friend or family member or to anyone for that matter. if the guy switched lanes without signaling thats a different story
    Cops are not judges and juries. Ridiculous.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12