Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

There are LSDs and there are LSDs. This "helical gear" stuff that "senses torque" seems to be some sort of and LSD which resembles Quaife. Quaife is nothing special in my honest opinion because it requires torque from the drive shaft to actually lock the wheels. It also requires both wheels to have a little bit of traction. The torque sensing differentials behave like open differentials during deceleration, cruising and when you lift one of the wheels in the air. On top of that helical gears are known to generate more heat.

Finally, I think most people are confusing LSD with the complete final drive (the pumpkin).

Until we see pictures and detailed specification, I remain unimpressed.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Was trying to get 10 ppl last year. Mfactory is a good company used there lsd for another build I had. Never gave me any problems. I think its eaiser to just get a new ring gear with lsd.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Interesting, so they already offer diff's for our platform but nobody here has tried it yet?
    Also OP, price on the site is listed at ~$1113
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

We have both Helical (Torsen, Gear Type) and Plate type LSD's available. I'm not a Vendor yet on this forum, so I don't want to break any rules with my posts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MFactory Click here to enlarge
    We have both Helical (Torsen, Gear Type) and Plate type LSD's available. I'm not a Vendor yet on this forum, so I don't want to break any rules with my posts.
    Sweet, would you guys do installation too? I am a local and will need this very soon.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

You're set as a guest vendor so don't worry about breaking rules the system will ensure that you don't. The honor system doesn't work with vendors.

If you direct users elsewhere to get around the rules and generate business (essentially advertising) I'm going to have a problem with that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Already been in direct contact with them, very nice guys. Was gonna send them my pumpkin as shop car is down for some test fitting and changes, but they found one already. I will be testing one of the first units for them. Anyone like the always negative and just plain uninformed vasilov, just because someone is new to a platform doesn't mean anything. I prefer people who have been there done that and are just adding an N5X product to their line up, over a company that's makes 2 products for one platform. Anyways, glad they took my advice and came over here. This is the place for these discussion. Looking forward to trying the unit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Already been in direct contact with them, very nice guys. Was gonna send them my pumpkin as shop car is down for some test fitting and changes, but they found one already. I will be testing one of the first units for them. Anyone like the always negative and just plain uninformed vasilov, just because someone is new to a platform doesn't mean anything. I prefer people who have been there done that and are just adding an N5X product to their line up, over a company that's makes 2 products for one platform. Anyways, glad they took my advice and came over here. This is the place for these discussion. Looking forward to trying the unit.
    So with this upgrade, we just modify the internals of the stock rear diff correct? I'm very newb with Diffs, and have no idea wtf welded and bolted means or actually any of these terms helical or plate whatever.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    So with this upgrade, we just modify the internals of the stock rear diff correct? I'm very newb with Diffs, and have no idea wtf welded and bolted means or actually any of these terms helical or plate whatever.
    Welded vs bolted simply refers to how it was buttoned up from the factory. Obviously, the bolted diff is much easier to open up. OK now you’ve exhausted my knowledge of limited slips lol.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Welded vs bolted simply refers to how it was buttoned up from the factory. Obviously, the bolted diff is much easier to open up. OK now you’ve exhausted my knowledge of limited slips lol.
    Ohh okay, I though it was like welded to axle or bolted? I didn't know it was the diff case itself.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    sorry but that is incorrect. this should clear up everything.
    http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657738

and this shows whats involved & why its so expensive to add lsd to bolted cars.
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648271

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by camberadam Click here to enlarge
    sorry but that is incorrect. this should clear up everything.
    http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657738

and this shows whats involved & why its so expensive to add lsd to bolted cars.
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648271
    Edit: Wait no, that is what I meant. Welded, as in, the carrier being welded as opposed to bolted on.

Did not mean the actual housing. Poorly explained on my part.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So is this new vendor option more less expensive than the current offerings?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I emailed them today and now waiting on a response. I'm definitely interested.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)

thoughts on pairing their new machined ring gear w/ existing pinions?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jyamona Click here to enlarge
    Typical ring and pinion are a matched set. Most OEM's you buy them in a set and replace them together.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ring and pinion should always be replaced in a set as they wear together. Basicly they wear until they match each other and stop wearing (as long as their properly lubricated and not abused too bad). Mismatched gear sets can cause premature failure especially if abuse is involved.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I talked to them today and REALLY liked what I heard. They will be offering a bolted ring and pinion set to go along with the LSD. I'm not going to discuss pricing but it is a definitely in line with what, IMO, an LSD unit should cost.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    I talked to them today and REALLY liked what I heard. They will be offering a bolted ring and pinion set to go along with the LSD. I'm not going to discuss pricing but it is a definitely in line with what, IMO, an LSD unit should cost.
    Well this is excellent news I'm very interested in this now
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    i chuckled at this, looking foward to your opinion
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by turbodan Click here to enlarge
    Ring and pinion should always be replaced in a set as they wear together. Basicly they wear until they match each other and stop wearing (as long as their properly lubricated and not abused too bad). Mismatched gear sets can cause premature failure especially if abuse is involved.
    i asked this on the "other" forum & this was our convo:

please elaborate on your belief in selling JUST a new ring gear. it was my understanding that you always do ring & pinion together because they wear together. also i'm of the belief its better to be safe than sorry, so in swapping a ring/pinion/lsd you should do bearings & seals while its torn apart. any plans of offering an "install kit"? general thoughts on these points?

Generally speaking you should, however, if the pinion is in good condition (which it should be considering the cars here are only a few years old at most), it should be ok to mate it with a new ring gear. You just need to make sure to break-in the new setup (around 500 miles or so) before you do any aggressive driving.
    If this is not the case (i.e we find that the pinion gear is very worn, even on a relatively new car, we will make the pinion as well. This will add a little cost, but not much more, probably an extra $100 or thereabouts)
    Yes, we are also looking into the bearings & seals. Just looking into all the various part numbers required.
    typically, what do you feel is the threshold for pinion replacement? 50k miles? 75K? 100K? personally i am approaching 60k & my car is an 09. i'm sure others are closer or above 100k miles.
    also when you refer to your services (rebuilding/inspection/shipping/etc) & a dedicated rwd section at your facility are you refering to your UK locatioin or Calif location? personally i have always been leary of dealing w/ internation companies because of horror stories you hear regarding shipping or payment issues, but your professionalism is somewhat reassuring.
    I'll be honest; most of my transmission experience/knowledge stems from my background with Honda transmissions, however, from an engineering point of view, gears are gears.
    The gears inside a transmission will be under far more stress and shock loads than a rear differential every will be, yet we've taken apart transmissions with over 50k miles on them and they were as good as new.
    On the other hand, we've taken apart heavily raced transmissions (like with our 1200hp drag cars) and those wear down the gears after only 1 or 2 race seasons (30-40 1/4 miles passes per year, at 8secs per pass i.e hardly any "mileage").
    It all depends on the usage to be honest. We will probably make the pinion at the same time (more economical for us to do so), and offer it to those who need it. If you are doing the rebuild yourself, you'll need to know how to diagnose gear wear patterns, pitting etc.
    Once we start offering our services, if we do the rebuild for you (and why wouldn't you? It's free! :p), this is simple.
    With regards to our services, this would be at our R&D Facility in San Dimas. It is a walk-in facility, so anyone is free to come in, have a chat, and take a tour of our facilities for reassurance of our "professionalism" Click here to enlarge
    Please let me know if you have any further questions Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Actually, we've decided to make both the ring gear and pinion now as a set, initially in both 3.08 and 3.46 ratios.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    Typical ring and pinion are a matched set. Most OEM's you buy them in a set and replace them together.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by turbodan Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jyamona Click here to enlarge

It is true that they are a matched set. But if the pinion shows no signs of wear and they can correctly identify the gear tooth profile and manufacture to OEM specifications there is no reason it can't work. The pinion typically is more robust than the ring. That can be done by heat treat, material specification, or both. But the end user should provide the pinion to the oem as it is necessary to reverse engineer the ring correctly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

@MFactory, not sure if you are Stephen, but I want to thank him anyway for the kind response. Hopefully this will help you out as I'm sure many people may be contacting you looking for the same answer.

Here's an email I received today guys with IMO all the info needed at this time.

Hello Matt,

thank you for your email and interest in our products.

We actually already have an LSD fitment for your 335i, however, this will only work with a bolted ring gear. Unfortunately, your '09 model AT uses the welded ring gear, therefore your only options at present to install an LSD are:

1) Purchase a bolted ring gear & pinion for the large diff. These are rare and expensive
    2) Have a machine shop machine the ring gear off your oem diff, then machine the ring gear to fit an aftermarket LSD

With either of these options, from other vendors, you would be looking at around $2500-3000 for a fully rebuilt pumpkin on a core exchange basis (i.e you would need to send them back your existing pumpkin, once you receive the reconditioned one. A refundable charge applies)

As we already have the LSD fitment available, all that we are needing to do is make some bolted 3.08 and 3.46 final drive sets (ring gear + pinion) so that those who have the bolted ring gears (such as yourself) will find it easier and cheaper to install an aftermarket LSD (be it ours or a competitors). ETA is around 2-3 months for our new final drives.

1) Purchase our final drive standalone (for example, to use with a competitors LSD). Our MSRP for our current BMW final drives is $599.95, so these should be similar cost (compared to at least $800 for a used oem sample)
    2) Purchase our final drive and LSD. Our MSRP for the LSD is $999.95, and, although we don't have the exact costs yet for the new final drives, will be offering it as a package for significantly less than MSRP. This option would be if you wanted to install the LSD into your existing pumpkin yourself, or have another shop do it for you
    3) Purchase our final drive and LSD, and ship us your pumpkin. We will recondition it for you, checking for any oem parts that may need replaced, then rebuild it with the new final drive and LSD. All of this would probably cost in the region of $1500-2000 (we've still to figure out the final costs of oem parts, as well as the new final drives), but is significantly less than what is currently available.
    4) Same as 3, but we ship you a fully rebuilt pumpkin first on a core exchange basis (a refundable charge applies)

please let me know if you require further information.

Thanks,

Stephen
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I'm starting to get my fill of the free advertising.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast