Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motor went

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

may i say something here

i don't know much about going f/i with the s54 ( i am working on it now ) but your guess and your mechanic estimates are too high for the n/a route...

if we take into consideration that the S54 puts down 270 average on the wheels then how are you going to gain 30-40 whp with just bolt ons....

not going to happen..

if you really like the M3 for what it is and you have the other beast to play around spend your money on a very good stock and well maintained car...

otherwise just put on it a csl intake and lose the maf...
    there is not going to be much in the hp department staying with the maf....
    the dme will always try to calibrate the tune to its default operating settings...

loose the maf go "aplhaN' type with a really good intake add headers and 100ccpi cats on it put a set of cams( 280/272 - 288/280 ) with proper timing and you will be in the 315-325 zone....

Nick

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nick///M3 Click here to enlarge
    loose the maf go "aplhaN' type with a really good intake add headers and 100ccpi cats on it put a set of cams( 280/272 - 288/280 ) with proper timing and you will be in the 315-325 zone....
    You are correct.

I think the best bet is to get the car up and running, use the parts he already has, and then see where he wants to go with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK...changing my mind again...since I have everything already, maybe I will just keep the SC and run 6 lbs of boost.

That should be safe for the stock motor and give me a nice 400-420 whp. I could also swap for a smaller SC.

Anyone want a Vortech T trim?

Oh, and I believe the car already was an Alpha N tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu Click here to enlarge
    OK...changing my mind again...since I have everything already, maybe I will just keep the SC and run 6 lbs of boost.
    It is true.. you already do have everything.

That should be safe for the stock motor and give me a nice 400-420 whp. I could also swap for a smaller SC.
    Keep the T-trim, it will be fine. You can run more boost actually if you want to but sounds like you are being conservative.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Sorry to hear about ur motor. Hopefully you'll have it up and running in great shape NA. I have been trying to contact OSCAR for years and no response by Phone or email.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

How do those F1 motors stay together at 18,000rpm?

I want to see 700hp NA out of the S54 dammit! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Sorry to hear about ur motor. Hopefully you'll have it up and running in great shape NA. I have been trying to contact OSCAR for years and no response by Phone or email.
    Unfortunately the motor is toast...if Ocscar had helped me many months ago when I asked, I actually did get him on the phone once, I would not need a replacement.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Anyone want a Vortech T trim?

Oh, and I believe the car already was an Alpha N tune.
    Sweet! keep us posted Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Unfortunately the motor is toast...if Ocscar had helped me many months ago when I asked, I actually did get him on the phone once, I would not need a replacement.
    This is very true. Unfortunately, seems the guy didn't care.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Run 10psi with water/meth/alc and you will be fine, should make 500whp...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why would I want to go with the Ebay header when I have the Supersprint ceramic coated headers already?
    The headers will get you the most gain, around 15-20 HP, the rest however all totaled may be good for about 5 HP if that. If your staying N/A there is no reason for a custom tune, just get a flash loader from OE Tuning, Conforiti etc..

Without cams and head work I think your going to be disappointed with the "bolt on" gains. A cold air intake has been debated on numerous forums. The general consensus after numerous dyno tests by individuals is that either stick with OEM, or at most go with a drop in and elbow. Unless of course you want to spend $$$ for the CSL style and alpha N.
    Last edited by ccsykes; 10-18-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TaZaM3 Click here to enlarge
    Run 10psi with water/meth/alc and you will be fine, should make 500whp...
    Problem is he is right back into the same situation, running a custom one off design. The cost to have a custom tune done outweighs any cost savings. I still think he should:

1. Get the Remanufactured engine
    2. Part out/sell his current S/C kit
    3. Buy a used AA, VF or ESS kit

He will then have a reliable 450-500 WHP daily driver with the ability to get support for any issues he may have. I have a feeling VF is about to redeem itself with their new Non-GIAC Alpha N tune coming out for Stage II guys.

There are plenty of used VF kits floating around.. might be a good idea to grab one.. the new tune could be pretty good. They certainly took enough hell over their previous tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
    1. Get the Remanufactured engine
    2. Part out/sell his current S/C kit
    3. Buy a used AA, VF or ESS kit
    This then brings up the whole problem with trying to get good value for his SC setup as well as finding the right buyer which will take time. Then, he would have to buy another kit which will add expense.

I think it is most logical if he is going to run an SC to run the one he already has or just sell it outright.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think it is most logical if he is going to run an SC to run the one he already has or just sell it outright.
    You don't think the custom tune is not going to cost money? To do it right, your not going to be able to do it in a few hours on a dyno. Your going to need to do hours of data logging etc. Even after that, if there is a problem you have ZERO support.. everything is custom. At least with an off the self kit you have vendor support as well as numerous customers experiences.

R&D.. that is his biggest expense and future potential for expense. If he wants reliability, you need to go where R&D is not an issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

You don't think the custom tune is not going to cost money? To do it right, your not going to be able to do it in a few hours on a dyno. Your going to need to do hours of data logging etc. Even after that, if there is a problem you have ZERO support.. everything is custom. At least with an off the self kit you have vendor support as well as numerous customers experiences.

R&D.. that is his biggest expense and future potential for expense. If he wants reliability, you need to go where R&D is not an issue.
    You make a good point but I don't think a custom tune for his hardware will outweigh the hassle of waiting until his hardware is sold and then the cost of a new kit plus install. How much is his time worth? I think to make this clear we need to establish what a custom tune would run.

Absolutely no reason why he could not have tuning support.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

He can probably get a tune from AA. They've done ot for vf cars before. You could use all your hardware and get a nice stg2 soon on your stock motor. I would just add a meth system. Which isn't much. Probably make nice numbers.

Just a thought I had.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the next step is to call AA and discuss what it would take to get the car properly tuned.

It will also be an issue to get all my brackets lined up properly once the new motor is in. My mechanic is BMW certified and smart, but he does not have a lot of experience with highly modified cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the next step is to call AA and discuss what it would take to get the car properly tuned.

It will also be an issue to get all my brackets lined up properly once the new motor is in. My mechanic is BMW certified and smart, but he does not have a lot of experience with highly modified cars.
    If your looking to go custom DME tune, seems OE Tuning are the guys making most the headlines.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Sc aren't to hard to install. There was a vf stage3 I believe at VACthey did a remote tune
    from AA and got it making nice power. I'll try to dig up the thread. I believe it was on m3forum or e46fantics. I'll check e46 as I'm banned from m3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

OE seem legit also. I would check OE and AA. Just go HPF and join the team lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

If your looking to go custom DME tune, seems OE Tuning are the guys making most the headlines.
    Yes they are and they would undertake this project and support it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I will definitely call OE.

By the way, Jeremy from Eurocharged tuned my C63 (easy, I know) but some other shops have had success with him tuning their M cars, and M5 in particular.

Jeremy has given me great customer service and is local...if we started very conservative, could he safely tune? He does not frequent this forum, and all responses will be kept confidential.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

What makes this set up different than other vortech based ones? I have a good feeling AA has a decent off the shelf tune for you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Jeremy has given me great customer service and is local...if we started very conservative, could he safely tune? He does not frequent this forum, and all responses will be kept confidential.
    I really don't know anything about Jeremy from Eurocharged. Has he done any FI S54's before? That is important, the tune is everything as you found out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
    What makes this set up different than other vortech based ones? I have a good feeling AA has a decent off the shelf tune for you.
    AA just sells SC tunes? No doubt they could do it but the hardware here is a little different so the tune should be properly calibrated for his setup.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast