Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

335i 6AT swap for e46 M3 SMG what would it take?

Hey guys, this is an idea of toyed around with, but not really sure about a lot of things.

1) Are there TCU control units available to independently control the SMG? I know the 335i should play nice if it is re-coded to a manual

2) What am I looking at just a different bellhousing and driveshaft to get it to bolt-up right? (I'll be dropping off my spare trans soon to get the shop going on a custom bellhousing to bolt-up to different trans)

3) How much power can the SMG hold in stock form and how much does a rebuild of one cost to hold big power?

I've seen these trans go for under $1,000, I mean a quick search on ebay and I found one for $800 obo, and with the driveshaft already being something most with big power plan on replacing, it'd seem this could be a easily viable option for under $4-5k total.

Thoughts?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

I feel like it would be an electronics nightmare. Also, the smg trans is just a regular manual trans with a hydraulic pump on it to run the clutch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Besides the obvious physical parts (bell housing, driveshaft, mounting brackets, gear lever in cabin, etc), the software is going to be the biggest problem. I'm going to assume the DME communicates with the TCU in some fashion (flat lining problem) and getting an transmission that was never available for the E9x chassis to work with their electronics sounds like a nightmare (I mean, we can't even reprogram the DCT for the E9x M3).

The SMG hydraulic pump is also a very pricey replacement part from what I understand and is known to be a problem.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

I wouldn't waste my time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    I feel like it would be an electronics nightmare. Also, the smg trans is just a regular manual trans with a hydraulic pump on it to run the clutch.
    I know, this is what made it appealing to handle the power, was hoping for easier upgradability

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Besides the obvious physical parts (bell housing, driveshaft, mounting brackets, gear lever in cabin, etc), the software is going to be the biggest problem. I'm going to assume the DME communicates with the TCU in some fashion (flat lining problem) and getting an transmission that was never available for the E9x chassis to work with their electronics sounds like a nightmare (I mean, we can't even reprogram the DCT for the E9x M3).

The SMG hydraulic pump is also a very pricey replacement part from what I understand and is known to be a problem.
    So there's no standalone TCU for the SMG? If there was I can't see the whole thing costing more than $5-6k including upgraded clutch. Not sure how alignment for the shifter would work, but I could easily modify the OEM one to fit it. Just a bit of handy fiberglass work and a simple leather boot.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    I know, this is what made it appealing to handle the power, was hoping for easier upgradability
    So why not just get a regular manual. The smg shift speeds aren't that impressive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I have a few links to running the gs6 in an e46 m3. Our driveshaft works and it all mounts to the factory location. However I did the research for a 6 mt car and not smg, but there shouldn't be much difference.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Your better off buying a e46 m3 and slapping a big turbo on it. The s54 makes more power anyway, with less fueling issues, the chassis is way more balanced than the e9x and it's a m3 so the overall handling/feel of the car is better. If you think about, all you"ll need is a turbo kit, coil overs, wheels, exhaust and your done. It's a lot easier IMO than dumping loads of money into a 335. For resale, if you decide to move on from the car, you'll be able to sell your turbo e46 m3 easier than a custom 335.

You could even search for one that has every mod I mentioned on it besides the turbo kit....
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    So why not just get a regular manual. The smg shift speeds aren't that impressive.
    It's pretty quick compared to a hand though, right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I think someone tried to do this once, and don't recall if they ended up finishing it. I think the issue was either clearance (too much) - and finding a way to get it to fit correctly. I am not certain though, I will try to dig up the article when I can later today.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    It's pretty quick compared to a hand though, right?
    I consistently shift @ 125ms on my 6MT using the WOTBox/NLS.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Your better off buying a e46 m3 and slapping a big turbo on it. The s54 makes more power anyway, with less fueling issues, the chassis is way more balanced than the e9x and it's a m3 so the overall handling/feel of the car is better. If you think about, all you"ll need is a turbo kit, coil overs, wheels, exhaust and your done. It's a lot easier IMO than dumping loads of money into a 335. For resale, if you decide to move on from the car, you'll be able to sell your turbo e46 m3 easier than a custom 335.

You could even search for one that has every mod I mentioned on it besides the turbo kit....
    Too late for that BobS, I have questioned myself as to why I didn't look that route to begin with, but I really do like the e9x body style and interior

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Its never to late Click here to enlarge

The problem is... there is no fix for the AT, so either your ok with that and stick to hybrid twins or keep rebuilding yours when you install a single. I really wish a solution could be found because there would be a lot of fast AT 335's out there!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Its never to late Click here to enlarge

The problem is... there is no fix for the AT, so either your ok with that and stick to hybrid twins or keep rebuilding yours when you install a single. I really wish a solution could be found because there would be a lot of fast AT 335's out there!
    Yeah, there's nothing for the M3 DCT either...lol when I bought the car I didn't even think I would go FBO, I was only going to do maybe an intake, exhaust, and the COBB AP....well just a over a month after purchase I had FBO+meth, some exterior bits, wheels, exhaust, and was looking into turbo upgrades....but IDC, very few M3's will keep up with me just after the ST is done let alone once the trans and fueling is upgraded

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

someone is selling a AT transmission right now for $500 on another forum. i think thats pretty cheap
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    someone is selling a AT transmission right now for $500 on another forum. i think thats pretty cheap
    That is cheap, I bought my spare, complete with TC for $1300, of course it's only got 13k miles. Plan on swapping it one once mine fails and then tear it apart. That's the idea anyway.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yeah, there's nothing for the M3 DCT either...lol when I bought the car I didn't even think I would go FBO, I was only going to do maybe an intake, exhaust, and the COBB AP....well just a over a month after purchase I had FBO+meth, some exterior bits, wheels, exhaust, and was looking into turbo upgrades....but IDC, very few M3's will keep up with me just after the ST is done let alone once the trans and fueling is upgraded
    The dct works fine for 600-650 kits.... Click here to enlarge

there is nothing wrong with the 335, im glad your pushing it. The single turbo 335's sound so fun, i'll look forward to seeing your car come together
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

The dct works fine for 600-650 kits.... Click here to enlarge

there is nothing wrong with the 335, im glad your pushing it. The single turbo 335's sound so fun, i'll look forward to seeing your car come together
    Sure, the 6AT handles those power levels just fine as well. The S65 just doesn't make torque down low, even Sticky's world record pull only put down about as much torque as stage 2 turbos on a N54, and even then it wasn't down low. I'm confident I'll reach 650 whp before seeing it really act up. That seems to be what others have experienced. 600whp for sure no problem, not worried about that.

I love the M3 but it's not worth the money for performance once you go past a bolt-on S/C kit. I mean 550whp M3's are great, but expensive, and crazy expensive to go past that.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Sure, the 6AT handles those power levels just fine as well. The S65 just doesn't make torque down low,
    Neither do the ST N54s.... The 135 car featured on the home page didn't go above 400 WTQ until just after 3.5k, and peaked at 520 WTQ (peak 585 WHP).

Either way, if you're gonna build an N54 or S65 monster, you're gonna need a 6MT
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

That is cheap, I bought my spare, complete with TC for $1300, of course it's only got 13k miles. Plan on swapping it one once mine fails and then tear it apart. That's the idea anyway.
    Where did you get your spare? I'm trying to source a manual trans.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I consistently shift @ 125ms on my 6MT using the WOTBox/NLS.
    I will admit that's damn good... I guess consistency is the key also, but sounds like you got it. I think the SMG can do 80ms (or something like that) - but for the trouble, not sure if it's worth it.

@mjmarovi - I still need to dig up the link, sorry been busy. Will find it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    Where did you get your spare? I'm trying to source a manual trans.
    LKQ

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Moved this to the N54 section where I feel it better fits.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast