Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge

On a serious note, what's wrong with bandaids?
    Nothing at all here you are:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

I'm down for the Defiv plate as well. And if we can't get one person to do that then this manifold will never get support no matter how cool it is. I just want people to TRY port injection. Once there are people running around with it, it will go main stream even with an hpfp upgrade. The will compliment each other.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Sad that they didn't fully remove the cyl 1 bump

looks like it's IMPROVED, but my thinking is if they raised the runner a bit.. yeah THAT would restrict flow in itself a tiny TINY bit, but nowhere near as much as having a huge bloody dent in the side

fix the dent and i'm in.. otherwise it'd have to be well priced :/
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    Sad that they didn't fully remove the cyl 1 bump
    Think I remember that the Cylinder 1 bump is stuck there because of the oil filter housing assembly

Click here to enlarge
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Matt Morkin went over this a few times. You can reduce it, but the physical placement of the oil filter stuff is in the way and would require relocation which is not feasible. Maybe someone can think outside the box and get this done.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Think I remember that the Cylinder 1 bump is stuck there because of the oil filter housing assembly

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...d3ded5c6-1.jpg
    yep... so raise cyl 1's runner and have it come in at a steeper angle?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Matt Morkin went over this a few times. You can reduce it, but the physical placement of the oil filter stuff is in the way and would require relocation which is not feasible. Maybe someone can think outside the box and get this done.
    as above, why not raise the runner?
    Have it come more out of the top-ish part of the manifold and go OVER the housing.

could hte oil filter housing be filed down slightly where it interferes?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    yep... so raise cyl 1's runner and have it come in at a steeper angle?
    You really think if it was that easy, it wouldn't have already been the solution? Chances are lengthening the runners means making a bunch of other changes (like keeping all them the same length/entry angle) and just makes bigger problems in the long run.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I would hope if somebody is going to go through the trouble of making an intake manifold they would make flow the primary reason and extra fuel ports a secondary benefit. Would it be possible to machine an adapter to space the housing out and forward a little to make room?
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

You really think if it was that easy, it wouldn't have already been the solution? Chances are lengthening the runners means making a bunch of other changes (like keeping all them the same length/entry angle) and just makes bigger problems in the long run.
    Not sure what you do for work, but you'd be surprised at some of the easy solutions that are not utilized for one reason or another. Sometimes it's because it doesn't work. Sometimes it's because a guy said we need 4" clearance there when he was thinking about a hot engine component and misunderstood by some other dude working in a different section and 7 years later we're wondering why they didn't do it differently. I've seen exactly that happen many times on turbine engines that start at about about 70M/year sales value. Sure, these N54's are overall well engineered... that said it's always a very good thing to trust but verify. Envelope constraints, real or imagined, are responsible for all sorts of wonky BS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Why wouldn't it be that easy?.. remove the worst flow restriction, and sort out the rest later.. no? Cylinder 1 is known for being the worst flow, due to that bump... if you don't get rid of the bump, half the reason for getting an expensive AM manifold is gone, you're JUST getting better fuelling... which sure, is needed, but when it's costing thousands why do you want half the job done?

why do you think people have thought of it, or tried it?.. That's the worst thing to assume in ANY case.

wouldn't you think slightly changing the angle/length negative would be vastly outweighed by the positive of not having it 10-15% odd crushed? (minimum, considering the stock one is more like.. what.. 50%?)

or if keeping them all equal length is THAT important to the designer... raise/lengthen them all slightly..?

i remember the last time a manifold upgrade came up it was PURELY to optimise flow, with a key aspect being removing the dent?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    I would hope if somebody is going to go through the trouble of making an intake manifold they would make flow the primary reason and extra fuel ports a secondary benefit. Would it be possible to machine an adapter to space the housing out and forward a little to make room?
    +1.

and what @SCGT said.. it's never safe to assume someones interpreted/implemented it right.

there HAS to be a way to fix the manifold/runner/get it all working well.. raise the whole plenum up slightly? just have them ALL arch up (which wouldn't be good for 2-6 though no?)

or just try and raise cylinder 1's...

if they've done all the CFD on it, and shown that this is absolutely the optimal manifold... then fair enough.
    Last edited by Flinchy; 02-02-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

This is extremely interesting, as it would be very cool to have such a solution, but if there are other solutions coming that implement the DI system....well I'm just excited to see the potential. N54/N55 stuff in general is way more exciting than the same old S63 powered car with exhaust, HREs, and tints. So anything new and interesting in this space should be interesting.

Costs don't have to be too crazy with this so long as the controller is kept within reason. That's the hard part, really. But even so...I'd love to see what kind of numbers this could support.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    This is extremely interesting, as it would be very cool to have such a solution, but if there are other solutions coming that implement the DI system....well I'm just excited to see the potential. N54/N55 stuff in general is way more exciting than the same old S63 powered car with exhaust, HREs, and tints. So anything new and interesting in this space should be interesting.

Costs don't have to be too crazy with this so long as the controller is kept within reason. That's the hard part, really. But even so...I'd love to see what kind of numbers this could support.
    Off topic - but why do i keep seeing people referring to tinted windows as "tints?"
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Off topic - but why do i keep seeing people referring to tinted windows as "tints?"
    Because it's shorter than typing tinted windows Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I like how everyone says "band-aids" like there is an actual HPFP solution in the works. Nobody has proven anything yet with any sort of HPFP upgrades, and in the long term it seems like that'll be the limitation.

Look at how far newer cars have developed and exponential speeds to our platform. Its because a majority of people are content with simple bolt on power, and only the minority are willing to take the risks of extreme modification and fabrication.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    Because it's shorter than typing tinted windows Click here to enlarge
    Its actually longer, most people just say "tint."
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123